ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Texas roster built for success, except for one big IF)

With less than two weeks to go until the Spring Game and the conclusion of UT’s spring workouts, I thought we’d take the opportunity to perform a bit of an internal audit of the Texas football team, while also discussing the talent that exists in comparison to the top talent within the Big 12.

Before we jump right into the roster discussion, here’s a look at the basic 1-10 scale I used to break the team down. It’s not scientific, but from a discussion standpoint, it creates the layers that we need.

1 – Worse than a warm body on the field
2 – Bad enough to lose to Kansas
3 – Below average
4 – Slightly below average
5 – Average
6 – Solid, but unspectacular
7 – Borderline all-Big 12
8 – Consensus all-Big 12
9 – All-American Performance
10 – Retire the number

We’ll start with the offense and then move on to the defense.

Quarterbacks

1473048064-NS_04hornsirishLD19.jpg

Roster
: Shane Buechele (So.) and Sam Ehlinger (Fr.)

Four Months Ago: The good news is that Buechele survived last season in pretty much one piece, learning the position in a Power Five conference on the fly and without a safety net. The bad news is that he had a roller coaster season that essentially saw him record five good games and seven not-so-good games, with almost all of the good games occurring against teams with losing records.

Spring Buzz: While the Longhorns are down to two scholarship players at the position, the Texas coaches are looking under every stone for depth and potentially a player that can compete for the starting job.

Honors Candidate: None at this point

Around the Big 12: Oklahoma returns a Heisman candidate in Baker Mayfield, while Oklahoma State brings back the easy No. 2 in the conference in Mason Rudolph, but the rest of the league has at least as big of a question marks as Texas owns.

Overall grade: 6

Running Backs

warren_chris_p1501_tech.jpg

Roster:
Chris Warren (Jr.), Kirk Johnson (So.), Kyle Porter (So.), Tristian Houston (So.), Toneil Carter (Fr.) and Daniel Young (Fr.)

Four Months Ago: Only Kyle Porter from this group was taking snaps when the Texas season ended, as Warren and Johnson were both out of action, while Carter and Young were still in high school.

Spring Buzz: Backs have been dropping like flies throughout spring drills, ironically leaving Porter once again as the only guy taking reps. D’Onta Foreman isn’t walking back through those doors.

Honors Candidate: In theory, Warren is the guy some project as a 1,000-yard type back, if he can stay healthy for more than half a season.

Around the Big 12: Foreman, Joe Mixon and Sam Perine are all gone, which leaves West Virginia’s Justin Crawford, Oklahoma State’s Justice Hill and Baylor’s Terence Williams as the top three returning backs in the league.

Overall Grade: 5.5

Wide Receiver

rbb-tx-vs-iowa-st-28.jpg

Roster:
Armanti Foreman (Sr.), Dorian Leonard (Sr.), Lorenzo Joe (Sr.), John Burt (Jr.), Jerrod Heard (Jr.), Collin Johnson (So.), Devin Duvernay (So.), L.J. Humphrey (So.), Reggie Hemphill (RS Fr.), Davion Curtis (RS Fr.), Damion Miller (Fr.) and Jordan Pouncey (Fr.)

Four Months Ago: While the passing game was inconsistent in 2016, a number of players showcased game-breaking talent at various portions of the season. Talent was not an issue for this position group, although consistency was one.

Spring Buzz: It’s not rocket science. This is the most talented area along the offensive side of the ball and the position as a whole is waiting for the quarterbacks to catch up.

Honors Candidate: Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay both have al-Big 12 upside in their second seasons.

Around the Big 12: Oklahoma State’s James Washington is an all-American level player, but beyond him I’m not sure there’s another receiver in the conference you’d definitely take over the best players at this position in Austin.

Overall Grade: 7.5

Tight Ends

Roster: Kendall Moore (Sr.), Andrew Beck (Sr.), Garrett Gray (Jr.), Peyton Aucoin (RS FR.), Cade Brewer (Fr.) and Reese Leitao (Fr.)

Four Months Ago: The position was covered in cobwebs.

Spring Buzz: The cobwebs have been wiped away, but what remains isn’t enough to operate the position at full power. Young players and makeshift parts will have to do in year one.

Honors Candidate: None

Around the Big 12: Oklahoma’s Mark Andrews caught 31 passes for 489 yards and seven touchdowns, which makes him easily the top option in a conference that doesn’t value the position.

Overall Grade: 3.5

Offensive Tackle

hi-res-8665fdca44ec99e6b1d1f2db774de41c_crop_north.jpg

Roster:
Tristan Nickelson (Sr.), Connor Williams (Jr.), Garrett Thomas (So.), Jean Delance (So.), Buck Major (So.), J.P. Urquidez (RS Fr.) Patrick Hudson (RS Fr.) and Sam Cosmi (Fr.)

Four Months Ago: Williams made the banquet circuit as an all-American, cementing the fact that Tom Herman would arrive with at least one upperclassman cornerstone.

Spring Buzz: Williams is everything that Texas needs him to be, which is one of the elite left tackles in college football. The other tackle spot remains a bit of a question mark.

Honors Candidate: Williams can be written into a first-team all-Big 12 spot with ink, barring injuries.

Around the Big 12: Oklahoma has an anchor in junior Orlando Brown that nearly rivals what Texas has in Williams, while Kanas State’s Dalton Risner is the third tackle in the conference that ranks as an obvious choice for pre-season all-Big 12 honors. The Sooners have the best duo in the Big 12 with Brown and former Allen High standout Bobby Evans.

Overall Grade: 8

Offensive Guards/Center

Roster: Brandon Hodges (Sr.), Alex Anderson (Jr.) Elijah Rodriguez (Jr.), Patrick Vahe (Jr.), Terrell Cuney (Jr.), Jake McMillon (Jr.), Zach Shackelford (So.), Denzel Okafor (So.) and Derek Kerstetter (Fr.)

Four Months Ago: McMillon came out of nowhere to emerge as a central piece of the line, while Shackelford battled injuries and Vahe slept outside in the Charlie Strong doghouse.

Spring Buzz: McMillon is still the most important lineman on the team not named Connor Williams, while Rodriguez seems to be stepping into a solid sixth-man role in the interior line.

Honors Candidate: There’s no reason to believe that McMillon can’t develop into an all-Big 12 type of player this season.

Around the Big 12: There’s only one all-Big 12 interior lineman who returns from last season (TCU center Austin Schlottmann), but Oklahoma’s trio of Erick Wren, Ben Powers and Dru Samia rank as the top overall group in the conference.

Overall Grade: 6

No. 2 – Moving on to the defense ...

Defensive Line

0b5474938c86ed3a48f0c550886c0d70.jpg

Roster: Poona Ford (Sr.), Chris Nelson (Jr.), Jamari Chisholm (Jr.), Charles Omenihu (Jr.), Malcolm Roach (So.), D’Andre Christmas (So.), Gerald Wilbon (So.), Jordan Elliott (So.), Andrew Fitzgerald (RS Fr.), Chris Daniels (RS Fr.), Marcel Southall (RS Fr.), Taquan Graham (Fr.) and Max Cummins (Fr.)

Four Months Ago: Outside of the pressure created by Roach and Breckyn Hager off the edge, this was a position group that struggled to consistently perform well for the defense, which proved to be its undoing on quite a few afternoons.

Spring Buzz: The move of Roach to end gives the line one sure-thing piece of the puzzle, but Tom Herman is still waiting for players in this position group to step up their games a few notches.

Honors Candidate: If Roach builds off of his play from a year ago, he could contend for Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Around the Big 12: The entire conference is looking for answers along the defensive line. Outside of Roach, it’s hard to find many impact returning players. I don’t see anyone with a definite edge over the Longhorns, even with the questions that exist with this group.

Overall Grade: 6.5

Linebackers

i

Roster: Naashon Hughes (Sr.), Malik Jefferson (Jr.), Anthony Wheeler (Jr.), Edwin Freeman (Jr.), Breckyn Hager (Jr.), Gary Johnson (Jr.), Jeffrey McCulloch (So.), Erick Fowler (So.), Cam Townsend (So.), Demarco Boyd (RS Fr.) and Marquez Bimage (Fr.)

Four Months Ago: Humpty Dumpty never quite got put back together again, as this group completely underperformed when measured against its raw talent.

Spring Buzz: The full-time move of Hager to inside linebacker and the transition of Jefferson to the weak-side backer is the first step towards this group realizing its potential. There’s not a team in the Big 12 with better material with which to work.

Honors Candidate: Jefferson and Hager could be destined for big breakout seasons.

Around the Big 12: Outside of Oklahoma’s Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, there’s not really a standout linebacker in the Big 12 to write home about outside of UT’s best players.

Overall Grade: 7.5

Defensive Backs

OSU-Hill-31.jpg

Roster: Jason Hall (Sr.), Antwuan Davis (Sr.), John Bonney (Jr.) Kris Boyd (Jr.), Holton Hill (Jr.), Davante Davis (Jr.), P.J. Locke (Jr.), DeShon Elliott (Jr.), Brandon Jones (So.), Eric Cuffee (RS Fr.), Chris Brown (RS FR.), Donovan Duvernay (RS Fr.), Josh Thompson (Fr.), Montrell Estelle (Fr.) and Kobe Boyce (Fr.)

Four Months Ago: This group was a chicken running around with its head cut off, as multiple players took steps backwards from freshman to sophomore seasons, while roles for pretty much everyone in the group remained fluid throughout the season.

Spring Buzz: It’s a work in progress, but roles are developing, the monster junior class is starting to come together and the disarray from 2016 seems to be in the rear-view mirror.

Honors Candidate: Too early to call.

Around the Big 12: Meh. OU’s Jordan Thomas and Kansas State’s D.J. Reed represent the two best returning players in the conference, but neither player ranked as an elite-level playmaker, which is to say this conference just doesn’t have a player like that among its 10 teams at this point.

Overall Grade: 6.5

No. 3 – It comes down to a few things ...

Of the nine positions on both sides of the ball, the Longhorns compare favorably with six of them and if we’re keeping it real, the tight end position doesn’t matter much within the league.

That leaves quarterback and running backs.

If those two positions deliver in the fall, there’s zero reason to believe this team can’t be among the best in the Big 12, as long as the Texas coaches hold up their end of the bargain.

No team in this conference has better defensive personnel than the Longhorns. The offensive line should be solid and there are passing game threats all over the field.

It’s all going to come down to whether the quarterback whisperer can do some whispering with his young players.

I don’t think this is any kind of major revelation, but when you run through the talent from position to position, it couldn’t be much clearer.

No. 4 – Speaking of the quarterbacks ...

It’s Shane Buechele and it’s not even close?

At this point in time, probably.

Through three weeks of practice, the returning sophomore starter hasn’t been lighting it up with regularity in workouts, but he’s much more comfortable in his skin as a quarterback at this level than freshman Sam Ehlinger.

In fact, it looks a little like it did last spring (pre-spring game) when Tyrone Swoopes was the comfortable returning player and Buechele’s head was probably spinning on a daily basis.

That’s the reminder for everyone that a lot can change between now and the second week of August, which is when Tom Herman said he wants to make a decision on his starting quarterback, but if there was a game tomorrow, who starts isn’t much of a question mark.

No. 5 – About Malik Zaire …

ct-malik-zaire-notre-dame-release-20161130

This is what I wrote about the former Notre Dame quarterback following the Irish’s hammering of the Longhorns in September of 2015 …

“Malik Zaire came in with nothing proven as a starting quarterback, but he certainly proved he’d be the best offensive player in a Longhorns uniform if such a thing were possible.”

Just something I thought about.

No. 6 – Four things to know about the new tight end …

P0mQNfbu

Syracuse graduate transfer Kendall Moore announced his decision to play at Texas on Sunday, upgrading a position that needs a talent injection, but also a few capable bodies in a Tom Herman offense that prefers to use the position within his primary schemes.

The 6-5, 245-pound Moore has one year of eligibility remaining after receiving a medical redshirt at the end of last season. Here’s a few things to know about Moore.

Injuries have sidetracked Moore’s career, but he’s played in 37 career games and has four starts under his belt. This is a guy that’s played a lot of football.

After starting two games at tight end in each of the previous two season, Moore became a non-factor in a Dino Babers’ offense that doesn’t use the tight end position at all for the most part (six total receptions by the position in 2016).

Has some experience playing center for Syracuse, which does indicate that he’ll be able to contribute in more ways than just pass catching.

A few years ago, Moore appeared to be viewed as a major piece of Syracuse’s future at tight end, but it just never unfolded that way for a variety of reasons, constant health issues included.

No. 7 – Buy or sell …

BUY or SELL: Tom Herman would prefer to bring in a grad-transfer at QB to start in place of Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger in order to strengthen the QB room? This will give Shane and Sam another year to mature and get the QB situation back in line at Texas.

(Buy) I think it’s obvious at this point.

BUY or SELL: 30,000 for the spring game attendance?

(Sell) I’m sure the announced crowd will be in that neighborhood, but I don’t think the actual crowd will be nearly that large.

BUY or SELL: Chris Warren stays healthy the entire season?

(Sell) How could anyone buy that question at this point?

BUY or SELL: If Herman had a full year to recruit the 2017 class he would have tried to get a quarterback other than Sam Ehlinger?

(Buy) I think he likely would have recruited more than one quarterback prospect, but Herman loves everything about Ehlinger, so I have to believe he would have been a quick offer and take.

BUY or SELL: Buechele/Ehlinger would start over Greg Ward Jr. if he was on this Texas roster?

(Sell) Bwahahahaha.

BUY or SELL: Malik Zaire would be the starter if he comes to Austin?

(Buy) The only way he comes is if he’s given strong indications that he’ll be the guy. At least, that’s the way I see it.

BUY or SELL: Daniel Young is third running back by the start of the season?

(Sell) I’m not buying yet, but this isn’t impossible.

BUY or SELL: Texas doesn't receive any commitments until football season starts?

(Sell) Patience, grasshopper.

BUY or SELL: Kyle Porter and Toneil Carter rush for more combined yards than Chris Warren and Kirk Johnson?

(Sell) I think.

BUY or SELL: The 'cuse TE transfer is writing on the wall for Reese Leitao?

(Sell) One thing has nothing to do with the other. If Leitao doesn’t have a felony on his record, he’s getting in as far as I can tell. If a felony charge sticks, he won’t be at Texas.

No. 8 – Texas Baseball weekend in a gif…

giphy.gif

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

… Damn the sports gods for doing Oregon’s Jordan Bell like that. That kid deserved a better ending to his Tournament story than to be remembered for two box-outs.

… Flip a coin on Gonzaga/North Carolina. I think the Zags have been slightly better in the last five games, but I really just don’t know.

… Just a reminder that while UNC plays for the national title, it’s task force looking into wide spread academic scandal can’t be wrapped up because the NCAA is broken, lacks backbone, is consumed with making money and all of its best investigator have left and never been replaced.

… As this NBA regular season reaches its conclusion, I just can’t ignore what Russell Westbrook has done this season. It has to be him.

... Golden State sent a message this week. First Houston, then San Antonio and then Houston again. The No.1 seed in the West, indeed.

... Play ball! Go Phils!

... The soccer gods couldn't let Liverpool simply enjoy a fun Saturday morning without taking its pound of flesh in the process. Get well, Sadio.

... I won't feel safe about Liverpool's top four chances until AFTER the season. Yes, I'm learning my lessons as a fan of this club.

... The next transfer window in soccer is going to be bananas.

... Cubo Torres is the hottest striker in the MLS and the Dynamo look like a legit MLS contender. What a difference one year can make!

No. 10 – And finally…

In the continued education of this aspiring soccer mind, I'll often watch random videos on Youtube of the greats of the game, wehich has given me far better insight into the careers of the best players to ever live.

On Saturday, I came across a video on Johan Cruyff.

Words cannot describe the awe he inspired. It was like watching Dr. J go behind the backboard with the scoop or Wayne Gretsky one-on-one with a goal-tender or Phil Mickelson invent something out of thin air when he's in trouble. I've seen highlights of Cruyff before, but to see his career unfold as a story was just breath-taking.

I feel like he was the soccer Chosen One.

Thanks for the special on Cruyff. My dad immigrated from the Netherlands and I grew up hearing and sometimes being able to watch Cruyff. The 70's was a dream time for Cruyff and the Dutch Oranje. Hep Hep!

Ketch,

When asked about his biggest concern thus far through spring, Herman said "linebacker production". Do you think he was being truthful, or was he trying to allieve panic symptoms from the media/fans/team regarding qb/te?

That's a pretty big statement. When did he say that?

Last edited:
We've outrecruited everybody in the Big 12 except OU...hard to believe your rankings show so few all-Big 12 caliber talent. Let's hope the players show better this year under better coaching.

Hard to believe someone really asked that Greg Ward question.

Love the soccer on Cruyff. Hmmm new once a month feature into 10 things? Check out Ronaldinho if you want a little flash from the past.

Damn the sports gods for doing Oregon’s Jordan Bell like that. That kid deserved a better ending to his Tournament story than to be remembered for two box-outs.

No player is 'deserved' anything. Just as in life.

... The next transfer window in soccer is going to be bananas.

Every next transfer window is B.A.N.A.N.A.S.

Naashon Hughes (Sr.), Malik Jefferson (Jr.), Anthony Wheeler (Jr.), Edwin Freeman (Jr.), Breckyn Hager (Jr.), Gary Johnson (Jr.), Jeffrey McCulloch (So.), Erick Fowler (So.)

that's as good of a talent base at LBer as anyone in the country outside of Bama or LSU can claim. No excuses. Texas has the size, speed and talent at the position we haven't seen in 25 years on the two deep. Time to get it done at LBer.

Naashon Hughes (Sr.), Malik Jefferson (Jr.), Anthony Wheeler (Jr.), Edwin Freeman (Jr.), Breckyn Hager (Jr.), Gary Johnson (Jr.), Jeffrey McCulloch (So.), Erick Fowler (So.)

that's as good of a talent base at LBer as anyone in the country outside of Bama or LSU can claim. No excuses. Texas has the size, speed and talent at the position we haven't seen in 25 years on the two deep. Time to get it done at LBer.
Exactly. I know Ketch disagrees somewhat, but I'll be disappointed if the team doesn't win at least 9 games and is a contender for the Big 12 championship.

I'm not delusional to think Texas is in any way ready to compete for a playoff spot. But Big 12 contender? I'd be disappointed if they weren't a threat to win it in November.

Enough of this losing shit.

I think he did say that at his last media session last Thursday. It was towards the end of the session if I'm not mistaken.

That's concerning. Surprised it hasn't been talked mentioned by the mods more unless I missed it. Guess that's what spring ball is for though. Wonder how the JUCO kid will factor in.

That's concerning. Surprised it hasn't been talked mentioned by the mods more unless I missed it. Guess that's what spring ball is for though. Wonder how the JUCO kid will factor in.
We shall see in summer I reckon.

TH did make it clear that his answer was a "feet to the fire" one and he wasn't overly concerned with the LBs.

This link goes right to the question/answer. I don't sense he's worried too much, based on his reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: A-10HORN
What stands out after reading that is that the 2018 team will be loaded. Foreman and Leonard will be lost but WR is the deepest position on the team. Potentially Connor could leave early which would be a big loss. Outside of that everybody else leaving is a JAG or easily replaceable.

… Just a reminder that while UNC plays for the national title, it’s task force looking into wide spread academic scandal can’t be wrapped up because the NCAA is broken, lacks backbone, is consumed with making money and all of its best investigator have left and never been replaced.

Just a reminder that forming an opinion without familiarizing yourself with the facts and issues is not the best approach. I would suggest you read a little more about this before looking to convict based on headlines. Although I get that might be hard because this "scandal" is red meat for self righteous sports writers looking to get a quick column up and feel good about themselves despite being completely (and perhaps willfully) ignorant of what is actually going on and what the NCAA can and cannot do.

Your take on this somehow being an issue of the NCAA lacking backbone is particularly off. This isn't something within the NCAA's jurisdiction. And that's not grey. They are already operating outside the scope of their jurisdiction and if they press much further that will be made clear in court. Maybe check out Jay Bilas' commentary on this. Although he is a Dukie, he is smart and a lawyer and his analysis has been spot on.

And the NCAA's dragging this out for 6 years has also done more to harm UNC than any sanctions would have (regardless of the fact that the sanctions would have been inappropriate). This team playing on Monday and it's coaching staff also have nothing to do with any of the allegations.

Reactions: mercedestigers
Good reading.
I agree as a whole with grades - of course the intangibles that make up spring training say "don't panic" to me. Hopefully I feel the same at end of spring.

We've outrecruited everybody in the Big 12 except OU...hard to believe your rankings show so few all-Big 12 caliber talent. Let's hope the players show better this year under better coaching.
I felt like there were quite a few potential all-big 12 players listed.

No player is 'deserved' anything. Just as in life.

Every next transfer window is B.A.N.A.N.A.S.
a. That kid DESERVED better. He played his guts out and was the reason they made it that far.

b. k. I would contend January wasn't bananas.

Saban would kill some folks with that group.

ADVERTISEMENT