ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The chance was there for the taking)

Here's to feeling better from here on out. I was pretty violently ill for about 24 hours this weekend. It sucked, so I know two weeks had to have been brutal.

Hang in there, my man.
Sorry to hear it. Hope you're feeling better.

You do remember the lies about The Eyes and the song almost taking it on the chin. I think you have a very convenient view of that time and it's importance to not only Texas but the nation. And fortunately good people stood against that false construction which is exactly what the 1619 project and others birthed by the warped movement were and are..

@Ketchum. This is a loaded question but was one of the reasons that Ewers left Ohio State because his year 2 NIL money was going to be lower than his year 1 money? Note i said one of the reasons, not the reason.

You do remember the lies about The Eyes and the song almost taking it on the chin. I think you have a very convenient view of that time and it's importance to not only Texas but the nation. And fortunately good people stood against that false construction which is exactly what the 1619 project and others birthed by the warped movement were and are..
I think it was a very complicated time for anyone to be the head coach at Texas. That';s all I'll say about it.

who did that?

I'm not really someone that deals in such hard lines. The only thing I did over the weekend was point out that Ewers 10 points handed to Baylor nearly made the game very problematic.
Exactly. That was the only thing you did when critiquing the passing game against Baylor. So I guess you answered your own question.

On a scale of 1-10, how good was the pass blocking on Friday?

Did the Whittington fumble not matter because Baylor missed a field goal on the next drive?

A healthy program recruits well. Herman's recruiting has severely degraded over his tenure to the point that even legacy Texas recruits wouldn't come to Texas. Firing him was a complete no-brainer. Whether Sark is the long-term answer is still TBD but there is no question that the program is healthier now than it would be if Toxic Tom was still around.

Exactly. That was the only thing you did when critiquing the passing game against Baylor. So I guess you answered your own question.

Did the Whittington fumble not matter because Baylor missed a field goal on the next drive?
Ok, see what you want but if stubborn Sark didn’t think he was worthy of being a part of the game in crunch time then that speaks volumes. He didn’t pass the eye test either. Arch being here will make or break him.

The season was unquestionably a success and yes there were two (possibly four throw in Bama and TCU) missed opportunities, but those types of misses also had a more far-reaching impact on the team last year. The defense is light years ahead of where they were at the beginning of the season and the line and running game have been terrific absent the TCU game where Sark went away from it.

The team fought harder and overcame both Sarks, Quinn's and their own mistakes in several games and salvaged a solid season, destroyed OU and certainly have given high level recruits a lot to think about and the Texas staff which is damn good has a lot to sell in regard to development.

Could the season have been better... Yes. But overall, it's a solid step in the right direction and Texas has continuity in regard to coaches and systems and that is a huge improvement in and of itself. And I believe recruiting is pretty high right now with a few pleasant surprises coming our way. Sure, it could have been better, but it also could have been a hell of a lot worse.
Perfect

I am not yet sold on Sark as our head coach but really like the guy and I do think we are currently positioned well for the future both with our current roster and where we stand regarding recruiting.
I have to wonder what our year would have looked like if Ewers had not gotten hurt against Bama .
My prediction for this year was 9-3 but like where we stand .
One of Sark's biggest successes has been how our LOS is beginning to take shape.
We will be much improved next year and should be in great shape for our entry into the SEC hopefully a year later.
Our offense with a more mature Quinn with a solid OL should be lethal given our skill players available and some of the new additions to come .
I could not be happier with the progress made on defense.
If Ford and Sweat both return, we should be good to go next year.
One factor going into next year that is very important is continuity regarding our coaching staff.
I'm very bullish on the Horns going forward .

Reactions: TheHorn
Why not just ask your question?
OK, here goes.

Why do mods (all sites) continue to give Sark cover for failing to perform his prime directive.

Sark was hired to WIN football games!

Yet, he has continued to sacrifice offensive effectiveness to the gods of QB "development ".

While I understand the desire to protect the QB from injury, Sark's absolute refusal to utilize the QB as an active participant in the ground game cost us at the very least, two ganes.

Both Tech and Oakie State were easily winnable.

Even Ewer's limited mobility would take some of the pressure off both the offensive line and the RBs.

@Ketchum. This is a loaded question but was one of the reasons that Ewers left Ohio State because his year 2 NIL money was going to be lower than his year 1 money? Note i said one of the reasons, not the reason.
I got the sense is was playing related. He couldn't just sit behind Stroud.

No. 2 - Let's talk about Quinn ...

You can take it to the bank that this isn't how Lincoln Riley will discuss a position held by Caleb Williams or how Mack Brown will discuss the return Drake Maye going into 2023.

Lincoln Riley on the QB competition at USC, 04/05/22.

“My expectations for that position, individually, is for those guys to become the best players and leaders they possibly can be,” Riley said.

“Everybody knows there’s going to be competition here at every spot. I think we make that very very clear to our guys. For those guys, it’s, ‘Hey, here’s where we think you can be as a player. Here’s the steps you can take to get to that. Here’s where we think you can be as a leader. Here’s the steps you can take to get to that.’ Then it’s just a constant push every single day."

Lincoln

Reactions: TheHorn

a. It was probably a C

b. Ultimately, it didn't matter much for the reason you outlined.

The pass blocking did not cause Ewers to make the mistakes he did. His not being smarter with the football did.

His job is to protect the ball at all costs and his inability to do so made a game that shouldn't have been a game a game.

He'll learn from those mistakes.

A healthy program recruits well. Herman's recruiting has severely degraded over his tenure to the point that even legacy Texas recruits wouldn't come to Texas. Firing him was a complete no-brainer. Whether Sark is the long-term answer is still TBD but there is no question that the program is healthier now than it would be if Toxic Tom was still around.

TEOT really killed recruiting. It needed a reset because of it. 8 months before all of that happened, Herman was on an all-time roll.

You'll never hear me say that change wasn't needed.

Reactions: HorntoWin
OK, here goes.

Why do mods (all sites) continue to give Sark cover for failing to perform his prime directive.

Sark was hired to WIN football games!

Yet, he has continued to sacrifice offensive effectiveness to the gods of QB "development ".

While I understand the desire to protect the QB from injury, Sark's absolute refusal to utilize the QB as an active participant in the ground game cost us at the very least, two ganes.

Both Tech and Oakie State were easily winnable.

Even Ewer's limited mobility would take some of the pressure off both the offensive line and the RBs.
You think I'm giving Sark cover?

Lincoln Riley on the QB competition at USC, 04/05/22.

“My expectations for that position, individually, is for those guys to become the best players and leaders they possibly can be,” Riley said.

“Everybody knows there’s going to be competition here at every spot. I think we make that very very clear to our guys. For those guys, it’s, ‘Hey, here’s where we think you can be as a player. Here’s the steps you can take to get to that. Here’s where we think you can be as a leader. Here’s the steps you can take to get to that.’ Then it’s just a constant push every single day."

Lincoln
lol... ask him now.... not before Williams has ever taken a snap.

F it. I give up.

TEOT really killed recruiting. It needed a reset because of it. 8 months before all of that happened, Herman was on an all-time roll.

You'll never hear me say that change wasn't needed.
Just curious, did Quinn ever give more context on why he decommitted? Cant imagine it was the TEOT issue that scared him away.

a. It was probably a C

b. Ultimately, it didn't matter much for the reason you outlined.

The pass blocking did not cause Ewers to make the mistakes he did. His not being smarter with the football did.

His job is to protect the ball at all costs and his inability to do so made a game that shouldn't have been a game a game.

He'll learn from those mistakes.
Fair enough

Just curious, did Quinn ever give more context on why he decommitted? Cant imagine it was TEOT issue that scared him away.
A very important family member specifically mentioned TEOT situation when it happened.

Reactions: HorntoWin
Fair enough
To be fairer, in retrospect, I could have mentioned other aspects of failure more. Those IA pieces are not meant to be the full and comprehensive 360-degree analysis of the game. There's not enough time to do that.

I fully understand the notion from some that those areas deserved more focus.

@Ketchum

on the below, I take issue. this is year TWO with a new coach rebuilding from a roster starting to come together plus a rs qb. compare as you want us to the "acronyms" of TCU and USC with 1st year coaches who caught lighteningi n a bottle, but 8-4 to me is success in the true sense of the word: "Being successful means the achievement of desired visions and planned goals". Now, did we hope to exceed that? hell yes, but not much expected if we are honest. and btw, Baylor would have clipped us without their dropped passes and ones in the turf, but hey...we are what we are too...realistically improving.

My general rule of thumb for Texas football is that any season that doesn't end with the Longhorns AT LEAST playing for the Big 12 Championship and qualifying for a major bowl game isn't a success.

Period.

Last edited:
a. Love ya.

b. Negativity craze caused by me? Can you quote that part directly?
Negativity craze not caused by you, but flamed (I really meant "fanned the flames" by you, sorry). Go back and listen to your post game show before Anwar appeared. Lots of finger pointing and blame at QE. No critique on how bad pass protection was, stupid penalties, fumble by another player, blown coverage. And the statement of Sark keeping the game out of Ewers hands at the end of the game due to trust issues. If there were trust issues, it had more to do with the OL letting defensive lineman run free at his QB and the confidence he had in the running game. Also, did you see the idiotic, unmonitored posts that were made on this site this weekend ( i mentioned two)? I hope no players or recruits were seeing how a player can be attecked. It was sad a player could be treated so badly, especially after a win.

Not trying to be hard on you. I agree with you on 95% of you takes and alway have. But the last few days have been rough.

Negativity craze not caused by you, but flamed (I really meant "fanned the flames" by you, sorry). Go back and listen to your post game show before Anwar appeared. Lots of finger pointing and blame at QE. No critique on how bad pass protection was, stupid penalties, fumble by another player, blown coverage. And the statement of Sark keeping the game out of Ewers hands at the end of the game due to trust issues. If there were trust issues, it had more to do with the OL letting defensive lineman run free at his QB and the confidence he had in the running game. Also, did you see the idiotic, unmonitored posts that were made on this site this weekend ( i mentioned two)? I hope no players or recruits were seeing how a player can be attecked. It was sad a player could be treated so badly, especially after a win.

Not trying to be hard on you. I agree with you on 95% of you takes and alway have. But the last few days have been rough.
I mean... Ewers mistakes are the primary reason why Texas trailed in the fourth quarter.

That might sound harsh, but that's what actually happened. He gifted them to points and turned a 5-point Texas lead into a 3-point deficit by not taking care of the ball better.

That's simply what happened.

I don't know how to talk about the game without pointing out those details.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT