ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The chance was there for the taking)

lol... ask him now.... not before Williams has ever taken a snap.

F it. I give up.

Caleb started the final 6 games for OU in 2021, then transferred to USC with Lincoln. Quinn started 8 games for Texas this season.

Coach speak is coach speak.

If you're going to make comparisons between Sark's words and Lincoln's words. At least make an apples to apples comparison.

Reactions: BigSkyHorn
Caleb started the final 6 games for OU in 2021, then transferred to USC with Lincoln. Quinn started 8 games for Texas this season.

Coach speak is coach speak.

If you're going to make comparisons between Sark's words and Lincoln's words. At least make an apples to apples comparison.
I'm not the one using words said BEFORE Caleb Williams wins the Heisman as my exhibit A.

That was just stupid.

well, I predicted 8-4, but that doesn't mean it was a success. My rules are my rules and they never change.

I might be the only one consistent on the matter.
I think both Ketch and Anwar's analysis can be correct at the same time.

If viewed by the standards and expectations of a place like Texas, anything less than playing for a conference championship is not meeting expectations. Sark himself has said their standard is championships.

Anwar can also be right in this year being successful in showing progress from a program building perspective. There was clearly progress in many areas in building the program.

It comes down to whether or not you demand Texas be elite right away or if you're willing to accept Texas isn't Georgia right now and this year was progress in building towards that.

You think I'm giving Sark cover?
More than obvious to me!

I don't often criticize you guys, but your (all mods, all sites) refusal to critcize Sark's decisions is there for all to see.

To be fairer, in retrospect, I could have mentioned other aspects of failure more. Those IA pieces are not meant to be the full and comprehensive 360-degree analysis of the game. There's not enough time to do that.

I fully understand the notion from some that those areas deserved more focus.

200w.gif

Ketch,
Good article but I do have one response. You are saying 8-4 is not a success yet that is the record you predicted preseason. Weren't you saying then that 8-4 would show the expected improvement and therefore be a good year? For me, 8-4 is what I expected and from that perspective, it is a successful year. On the other hand, because we lost 2 or 3 games that we could have won (and should have), 8-4 does feel like a let down.

The t-Rex chasing the jeep when viewed from the side mirror can also be scene in Spielbergs made for tv movie Duel. Dennis Weaver being chased the the large fuel truck is also viewed from the cars mirrors. Spielberg was 24 when he did Duel.

More than obvious to me!

I don't often criticize you guys, but your (all mods, all sites) refusal to critcize Sark's decisions is there for all to see.

You think I'm never critical of Sark?

exactly GIF

Ketch,
Good article but I do have one response. You are saying 8-4 is not a success yet that is the record you predicted preseason. Weren't you saying then that 8-4 would show the expected improvement and therefore be a good year? For me, 8-4 is what I expected and from that perspective, it is a successful year. On the other hand, because we lost 2 or 3 games that we could have won (and should have), 8-4 does feel like a let down.

a. 8-4 is improvement. From 5-7.

b. Just because something is expected and then it occurs as expected, that doesn't make it a success.

Reactions: TheHorn
The t-Rex chasing the jeep when viewed from the side mirror can also be scene in Spielbergs made for tv movie Duel. Dennis Weaver being chased the the large fuel truck is also viewed from the cars mirrors. Spielberg was 24 when he did Duel.
Might have to check it out.

We're just reinventing reality in the name of confirmation bias IMO.

Sark would not have been hired if those that hired him knew it would take at least three seasons to better what Herman was already doing.
You know this for a fact? Texas had a QB room with about 2 games worth of experience going into 21, 0 NFL talent on the O-Line, a bunch of low talent receivers and a defense that was going through it's 3rd DC transition in 4 years. 5-7 was certainly below expectations and was in no way acceptable, but to think that this team would be winning double digit games by now is probably about on the outside edge of what I would have expected. There were definitely some missteps by the coach and in hindsight its probably something that we should have expected in hiring a guy who last stood on the sidelines as a head coach half a decade ago.

a. 8-4 is improvement. From 5-7.

b. Just because something is expected and then it occurs as expected, that doesn't make it a success.
So your prediction of 7-5/8-4 for this team from the beginning meant that your expectation was for this not to be a successful season from the start?

Follow up question...

How many seconds during a play should expire before an alarm goes off in a quarterback's head to potentially get rid of the ball?
About 0.5 seconds.

Follow up question, how many quarters transpired between that play and then turning to only running the ball?

You know this for a fact? Texas had a QB room with about 2 games worth of experience going into 21, 0 NFL talent on the O-Line, a bunch of low talent receivers and a defense that was going through it's 3rd DC transition in 4 years. 5-7 was certainly below expectations and was in no way acceptable, but to think that this team would be winning double digit games by now is probably about on the outside edge of what I would have expected. There were definitely some missteps by the coach and in hindsight its probably something that we should have expected in hiring a guy who last stood on the sidelines as a head coach half a decade ago.
It is my opinion based on the fact that they viewed Sark as very good and wanted someone to take them higher through slight gain of fine margins.

So your prediction of 7-5/8-4 for this team from the beginning meant that your expectation was for this not to be a successful season from the start?
correct.

As outlined by what my belief a successful season at Texas looks like.

About 0.5 seconds.

Follow up question, how many quarters transpired between that play and then turning to only running the ball?

The fumble?

About half a second.

Because that's the play I'm referring to with the time clock in his head.

Reactions: Number-5
Steve didn't need maturing?
Ketch - imo, TH is what Sark was a decade ago. Younger, more immature and had other challenges he was personally dealing with. Let’s just leave it at that as I see no need to trample over someone’s grave.

That said, Sark matured under Saban and to my knowledge, none of Sark’s prior demons have reared their head so yeah, I think Sark has matured.

Your response leads me to believe you have some deeper concerns about Sark as the context of Herman and why he needed to go didn’t involve Sark.
TH needed to go. He needs to mature and work through his own challenges….and I wish him nothing but the best too (other than when the best for him hinders UT in any way).

I thought Ketch was on the money about his comments regarding QE and how Sark used (or did not use) him against Baylor. If anyone did not understand, that is a flaw you need to recognize and solve (like going back to 3rd grade to pick up the reading comprehension skills you missed.) And BTW assigning a click-bait motive to his comments is silly.

Ketch - imo, TH is what Sark was a decade ago. Younger, more immature and had other challenges he was personally dealing with. Let’s just leave it at that as I see no need to trample over someone’s grave.

That said, Sark matured under Saban and to my knowledge, none of Sark’s prior demons have reared their head so yeah, I think Sark has matured.

Your response leads me to believe you have some deeper concerns about Sark as the context of Herman and why he needed to go didn’t involve Sark.
TH needed to go. He needs to mature and work through his own challenges….and I wish him nothing but the best too (other than when the best for him hinders UT in any way).
Sark has never accomplished what Herman has accomplished as a head coach.

Until that happens, yeah, I have concerns.

Reactions: badboy783
There was a great interview with his wife Kate Capshaw years ago about him coming back to their hotel room late, which isn’t his custom even during filming and having to hear him break down over a particularly vivid and gruesome scene- I think it was the one where Liam Neeson and his girlfriend were horseback riding above the scene where the Nazi troops were on a rampage against the Jewish population…

It’s splitting hairs when it comes to ranking his top movies but IMO he’s always been America’s top filmmaker in my generation rivaled only by George Lucas

Some of my fellow olds may even remember what I believe was his first production- “Duel” that was on an ABC movie of the week- with Dennis Weaver playing a salesman being chased by an angry Truck driver for reasons that were never clear but which made it equally scary.
I remember Duel well. Good movie and suspenseful.

Reactions: RTR
You think I'm never critical of Sark?

exactly GIF
Of all the criticisms of you the last few days, I did not have “giving cover for Sark” on my bingo card. Not sure that poster is reading your stuff.

I mean... Ewers mistakes are the primary reason why Texas trailed in the fourth quarter.

That might sound harsh, but that's what actually happened. He gifted them to points and turned a 5-point Texas lead into a 3-point deficit by not taking care of the ball better.

That's simply what happened.

I don't know how to talk about the game without pointing out those details.
I get it, they were freshman mistakes that led firectly to points for Baylor in critcal moments. I hope he can learn from these mistakes and I am sure he will. But, some of the things I pointed out indirectly caused us to lose points as well. They would have rounded out talking about the game and was part of the reason the game was close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT