ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The path to improvement in 2022...)

You do realize he encountered this team right? He made it very clear that this team is not currently structured the way he would structure a team. Man needs time….we have to quit switching and he is clearly an upgrade over the last staff. You like Worthy?? Well those are his type of guys. Let’s give him 3 recruiting classs before we start using words like “serious denial.”

He will get his time. I really want him to be the one. But having concerns is reasonable IMO.

He will get his time. I really want him to be the one. But having concerns is reasonable IMO.
I hear you, but he’s calling plays with his arms tied behind his back. Then inherited a defense that will not allow his offense to have poor games. We can thank Herman for that.

Reactions: MB-HORNS
The offense has shown flashes of what they could be, but the defense under PK has been very confusing. What are they supposed to be good at? In theory. I can’t tell what they’re trying to accomplish.
I agree, they do nothing well that would be a positive, and they sure as heck don’t have ANY type of identity.

Reactions: McGuapo
You're not a big enough H&O guy.
Saw them live just before COVID at a fairgrounds concert. They were amazing. Bunch of 45+ crowd dancing away, hit after hit. Voices sounded solid. Given my folicly challenged head, Hall has quite the quaf.

I need to see flood standing on the table throwing hands over portal spots. He needs 6 minimum. They dont all have to be senior and ready. If theres a younger guy in the portal take him too. Add 2 LBs, 1 Jack. 2 safeties. And slovis will be our portal qb.

Reactions: Ketchum
No F1 shout out ? Drew more people than any football game will.
check out F1. Austin showed up from fans perspective and Austin showed up in a cluster f*ck with traffic , parking

Is Cameron Dicker definitely gone after this season? Doesn't he have another year if he wants it?

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

You'll forgive me if some of my focus during the bye week shifted away from the remaining five regular season games in 2021 and towards the 2022 season.

Just how does this team get better?

Specifically, just how will this team get better in the areas of most concern?

With the combination of a recruiting class and whatever haul Steve Sarkisian can muster in the transfer portal, we've entered an age in college football history where rebuilds of rosters centered around teenagers and random grad transfers are a thing of the past.

Although the NCAA hasn't yet passed legislation that has solidified the rules that will be in place before the 2022 season with regards to the use of scholarships in this new age of portal mania, it's expected that the NCAA will alter the current 85/25 scholarship rules in ways that will allow programs to replace numbers lost through the portal. When you consider that the Longhorns have averaged 10+ players lost to attrition on an annual basis for almost 20 years, you can rest assured that the Longhorns will have available scholarships to use to make attempted improvements.

So, where do those portal spots need to go? Unlike a year ago, the Longhorns can't go all-in on the linebacker position, even if that's a position that might still need a spot or two dedicated to it. Let's go position by position to see where any and all improvements to the roster can be made in the next 10 months.

Quarterback: It comes down to what happens with Hudson Card in the off-season. If he transfers, I'd contend that the Longhorns need to look to add depth to replace his departure and protect against Maalik Murphy's ability to take a redshirt. Believe it or not, if the Longhorns need someone to come in and compete with Charles Wright for the back-up job, this past year in the portal suggests that help can be found. Believe me, there were plenty of average quarterbacks in the portal this year that would have shanked someone for a roster spot in a power five program.

Running back: The Longhorns will return their top four backs unless someone heads to the portal, one of whom happens to be possibly the best back in the country. This looks like the least likely position on the team to need/receive help from the portal.

Wide Receiver: I'd guess we see some action from this position in the portal this off-season when you consider that the Longhorns routinely only play a handful of receivers each week and only four receivers have caught more than three passes all season. I'd keep an eye on all unhappy Alabama wide receivers this off-season. It won't be a priority if this team closes on a guy like Evan Stewart, but this is another position where I could see a portal addition coming in if it's the right player.

Tight Ends: Although Cade Brewer departs after this season, everyone else is scheduled to return, including true freshmen J'Tavian Sanders and Juan Davis.

Offensive Linemen: Go get as many players with size, experience and availability as possible. Texas doesn't have to automatically find players to anchor its offensive line (although that would help), but it does have to beef up the overall quality of the line in a way that it wrongly failed to do this season.

Defensive Linemen: Pass rushers are hard to find in the portal. Unless the Longhorns find a unicorn, I'd guess this isn't an area we'll see receive a lot of attention, partly because of the volume of returning players on paper and partly because of a huge class of incoming recruits.

Linebackers: As crazy as it sounds when you consider the attention spent on this position in the portal this past off-season, this group still needs a lot of help and might need to replace both starters from this year's defense. How confident is the staff in the young players in the program? I'm not sure that the Longhorns are going to get a lot of incoming help from the true freshman class, so don't be surprised if the coaches are rooting around for a couple of new additions.

Defensive Backs: This is very quietly the biggest underrated need for the program going into the 2022 season when you consider that the entire starting secondary might need to be replaced, and it's hard to say if what's behind D'Shawn Jamison, Anthony Cook, Darrion Dunn, B.J. Foster and Josh Thompson is going to be good enough to lean on without significant support. My guess is the Longhorns will be on any and all defensive backs of plus-quality.

Special teams: With Cameron Dicker going out and incoming recruit Will Stone coming in, the Longhorns could absolutely take a place-kicker through the portal if the right guy comes along.

So, where does that leave things?

It really comes down to the exact rule-changes that the NCAA passes, especially with regards to the 25-man rule, and how much attrition the Longhorns are going to suffer. Considering the size of the 2022 recruiting class, it'll take some attrition just to get the incoming freshmen under the 85-man scholarship number.

If the Longhorns suffer a normal year's worth of attrition and lose 10 players from the roster, that might leave only around five spots to play with to make gains in the portal. In my mind, if you're working with five slots, addressing the offensive line and secondary is paramount, unless a truly plus-player falls into your hands

I know the "A-word" makes some people nervous, but I would offer that this is a year not to worry about it. Assuming there will be NCAA rule-changes, an assumption that the Texas coaching staff seems to be operating under, every player lost might prove to be a better player gained.

No. 2 - One thing I wouldn't lose any sleep over ...

I know Jamarion Miller visited Alabama this weekend, literally on the heels of Jaydon Blue trying to determine whether he still wants to be a Texas commitment.

As much as I borderline love both guys as prospects, I'm just not worried about the running back position, given the state of the running back I just outlined in the previous section. With Texas returning its top four running backs in 2022 barring something unforeseen, any incoming recruit at this position is going to have his hands full cracking through what's in front of him.

If both arrive in the fall, one of them is going to be sixth string. That's just math. The running back position is in the best possible hands through the 2022 season.

Even going into the 2023 season, the Longhorns will have Keilan Robinson and Jonathon Brooks set to lead the attack. Add in the fact that running backs in the portal would be drooling to be featured in a Sarkisian offense in a post-Bijan Robinson world and you still have the 2023 recruiting class to factor in ... and ... I just don't find myself blinking when thinking about the running back position.

No. 3 - The Whittington Factor ...

Things didn't go so well in the first game without Jordan Whittington in the passing game.

It kind of got lost in the aftermath of such a disappointing performance from the offense, but there were questions about what the passing game might look like without Whittington and they certainly still exist going into the Baylor game.

While there were obviously multiple reasons for Xavier Worthy being bottled up by the Oklahoma State defense, the rest of the wide receiver unit combined for five catches for 93 yards and most of that yardage came on a 58-yard reception by Marcus Washington in the first half. On a day when the tight end position didn't pitch in any contributions in the passing game, it just wasn't good enough.

It has to get better against the Bears because this offense can't hit the heights it wants to with only Worthy being able to be counted on from week to week.

The trio of Joshua Moore, Washington and Kelvontay Dixon have to produce more as a group.

Every week.

One way or another, Sarkisian and Andre Coleman have to get more out of this group.

No. 4 - Bijan's season ...

For those scoring at home, Bijan Robinson is averaging 132 yards rushing and 162 yards of all-purpose offense per game.

If he keeps this pace over the course of the next five games, his 12-game numbers will look like this:

Rushing: 250 carries for 1,584 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Receiving: 24 receptions for 355 yards and 5 touchdowns.

That puts him at 1,900+ yards of total offense and 22 touchdowns.

My gut tells me that he finishes north of those numbers.

No. 5 - Scattershooting on the Longhorns ...

... Where on earth would this team be without Xavier Worthy?

... If I ever get carried away with thinking the tight end position is going to have a huge impact on the offense in the passing game, verbally slap me.

... As great as Cameron Dicker has been this season, he has no chance at first-team All-Big 12 status at the end of the year as long as OU's Michael Turks is averaging 3 yards more per punt than him. That's rough competition.

... With an 80% field goal conversion percentage and a punting average of almost 50 yards per kick, is Dicker having the best season of any person that uses his feet in the history of the program?

... Baylor running back Abram Smith officially leads the Big 12 in yards per carry (7.5). It goes without saying that he can't average 7.5 yards per carry this weekend if the Longhorns want to win in Waco.

... The Texas defense ranks 8th in the Big 12 in scoring defense, allowing 29.6 points per game. That's 9.6 points more than this unit's stated goal at the beginning of the season.

... Baylor's pass defense efficiency rating is the best in the conference at 118.5, which is really freaking good. The Texas offense leads the Big 12 with a 166.2 pass efficiency rating.

No. 6 - A new No. 1 ...

On a weekend when his No. 1-ranked Texas Longhorns plowed through Iowa State in Ames to move to a perfect 17-0 on the season and 8-0 in conference play, Jerritt Elliott moved past Mick Haley to become the all-time winningest coach in the history of the program.

When we talk about the coaches on the 40 Acres, we probably don't talk about Elliott enough. After all, you have to go all the way back to 2006 to find a season when his teams didn't finish in the top 10.

Every year, his Longhorns play with a target and every year his teams deliver, usually with a Big 12 title and a deep NCAA Tournament run. This year's team is poised to do no less.

As a reward for their early-season dominance, the Big 12 has given the Longhorns a bye this week so that the Texas players can enjoy their Halloween weekend without anything hanging over their heads.

Trick or treat!

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) I'd still have my money on Luke Brockermeyer until I see the coaches actually take him off the field at the expense of getting Ford on it. I'm not sure that's going to happen.

(Buy) I think Texas has more than four players on its defense that will play on Sundays. Hell, it might have that many in the secondary.

(Buy) I've got the Longhorns splitting the next two games and winning their final three. The Kansas State game might prove to be trickier than the game in Morgantown. That being said, Texas could also be 4-5 in 13 days.

(Sell) It's hard for me to give this group the benefit of the doubt.

(Sell) That feels like a fourth-quarter game that will come down to the final possession of the game.

(Sell) It will take more than three years. Texas hasn't even started the process of actually heading in that direction yet. It might not take that long to be above-average, but to become elite? That isn't happening soon.

(Sell) I've been saying the running backs would get more involved in the passing game all season and I've not been right yet. Let's go with the reverse Jedi-mind trick.

(Sell) I want the Astros to win because I hate the Braves, but catching the fever? Never!

(Sell) See above. I've been predicting this all season and it's yet to happen.

(Buy) Only because running the table with three true road games on the schedule in the coming weeks makes perfection sound very unlikely.

(Sell) There's a better chance of me playing in 2023 than him.

(Sell) Steve Sarkisian is telling and showing us that Thompson is his guy. It would have to get bad in Waco for the hook to come. Maybe we need to define what "bad” looks like.

(Sell) I think he keeps the staff together if at all possible and I don;'t think CDC is having serious conversations with him. Serious?

No. 8 - Scattershooting on the sports weekend ...

... That play where Oklahoma quarterback Caleb Williams took the ball out of Kennedy Brooks' hands and gained enough yardage for a first down, which ultimately led to OU winning in Lawrence, might end up being remembered in Norman like Vince Young's fourth down run against the Jayhawks in 2004, especially if the Sooners win the Big 12 title and qualify for the playoffs.

... OU running back Eric Gray made a huge mistake in transferring to Oklahoma. He's literally killed his stock.

... Former five-star running back Trey Sanders is averaging four carries per game in his sophomore season.

... Is Zac Calzada giving that starting job back to Haynes King?

... A&M has had some good tight ends over the years, but Jalen Wydermyer is the best they've ever had IMO.

... SMU and UTSA being a combined 15-0 this season, while the Longhorns are 4-3, only amplifies the disappointment of this season.

... The Dallas Cowboys have a +59 point differential this season, while the rest of the NFC East is -131.

... The Chiefs kind of suck.

... lol @ Jets.

... Jamarr Chase looks like he might be a transformative type of draft pick for the Bengals. That guy has been everything for them.

... Take a bow, Yordan Alvarez. What a player.

... Premier League Thoughts From The Weekend Because I'm Trying To Force Soccer Down Your Throat: I'm almost at a loss for words for what happened at Old Trafford on Sunday because I know that there are Liverpool fans that have been fans of the club for six or seven decades who have never quite seen anything like they witnessed today. Ole in. It feels like the Big 3 are starting to pull away. Fifth-place Brighton is five points behind Man City. The fourth spot is going to be an absolute free-for-all with six or seven teams that will be desperate to take that final CL spot. lol @ Everton.

No. 9 - Top 10 Hall and Oats Songs ...

I've been in a big Daryl Hall kick in the last week, which means it felt like as good of a time as any other to update my Top 10 list.

After all these years. I've changed my No. 1 pick and I'm not sure it's even close.

10. Say It Isn't So
9. I Can't Go For That
8. Kiss on My List
7. Private Eyes
6. Rich Girl
5. One on One
4. She's Gone
3. You Make My Dreams Come True
2. Maneater
1. Sara Smile.

No. 10 - And Finally...

Good job, dads. You got me in my feelings this weekend.
You deserve a VERBAL slap for even bringing such thoughts to the column....4 players from the secondary - - for sure none from the defensive interior front....And maybe before your time but in a magical 3rd string QB season of 1977 (Fred Akers first season), a punter / kicker named Russell Erxleben was the best of both worlds' - -IMO. As Connie Alexander broadcast the ending of the Tex v OU Cotton Bowl Classic that year ending the game with a punt from the Longhorns own end zone, "He's got the punt off and he's kicked it to the moon" - Not to take away from Dicker the Kicker ! Best kicker only has got to be Justin Tucker !!!

Jamison, Thompson and Cook have all had good seasons IMO.

Secondary has been decent in pass coverage this year. The long touchdowns against Oklahoma and Tech were fluky and they pretty much have shut down the best WRs on Tech, TCU, Oklahoma & Oklahoma State. On the flip side of that, the run defense and tackling has been very bad late in games. I honestly thought the defense did play better against Ok state, especially the DL with Collins at DE. Do you think Coburn returns for another year?

I also like the stable of young guys in Crawford, Ibrahim, Coffey and especially Barron who seems to play well in zone. At safety Adimora and Thompson will be back but not sure how much they improve. Next year Allen will be a much needed addition to the DB room (As would Harris, Matthews and LTG). Bryce Anderson would have been a godsend. To your point however, even with all that talent, we are likely going to be extremely green on the backend.

The two most important positions of need are OL and LB imo. Will Ovie improve? DJ Harris? Cooks? Love the attention to DL in the recruiting class but who are the inside LBs for us next year? Ford and Gbenda? Richardson? Talk about a head scratcher. Obviously on the OL we need to close on Campbell, Neto and another tackle. Im of of the belief the transfer portal additions has the potential make or break our season next year.

The offense has shown flashes of what they could be, but the defense under PK has been very confusing. What are they supposed to be good at? In theory. I can’t tell what they’re trying to accomplish.

Ideally PK wants to limit big plays by playing over the top and make opposing offenses run as many plays as possible to drive down the field I.e. the spread stopper. Then ultimately play tight defense in the redzone (one of the few areas on defense where we been decent). Our biggest problem besides tackling though has been our terrible run fits, which are critical. The LBs either take egregious false steps and/or are slow to diagnose and plug run gaps.

How About Those DADS!!!

Use Coach Beard to help with recruiting the transfers. He clearly knows how to get it done.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

You'll forgive me if some of my focus during the bye week shifted away from the remaining five regular season games in 2021 and towards the 2022 season.

Just how does this team get better?

Specifically, just how will this team get better in the areas of most concern?

With the combination of a recruiting class and whatever haul Steve Sarkisian can muster in the transfer portal, we've entered an age in college football history where rebuilds of rosters centered around teenagers and random grad transfers are a thing of the past.

Although the NCAA hasn't yet passed legislation that has solidified the rules that will be in place before the 2022 season with regards to the use of scholarships in this new age of portal mania, it's expected that the NCAA will alter the current 85/25 scholarship rules in ways that will allow programs to replace numbers lost through the portal. When you consider that the Longhorns have averaged 10+ players lost to attrition on an annual basis for almost 20 years, you can rest assured that the Longhorns will have available scholarships to use to make attempted improvements.

So, where do those portal spots need to go? Unlike a year ago, the Longhorns can't go all-in on the linebacker position, even if that's a position that might still need a spot or two dedicated to it. Let's go position by position to see where any and all improvements to the roster can be made in the next 10 months.

Quarterback: It comes down to what happens with Hudson Card in the off-season. If he transfers, I'd contend that the Longhorns need to look to add depth to replace his departure and protect against Maalik Murphy's ability to take a redshirt. Believe it or not, if the Longhorns need someone to come in and compete with Charles Wright for the back-up job, this past year in the portal suggests that help can be found. Believe me, there were plenty of average quarterbacks in the portal this year that would have shanked someone for a roster spot in a power five program.

Running back: The Longhorns will return their top four backs unless someone heads to the portal, one of whom happens to be possibly the best back in the country. This looks like the least likely position on the team to need/receive help from the portal.

Wide Receiver: I'd guess we see some action from this position in the portal this off-season when you consider that the Longhorns routinely only play a handful of receivers each week and only four receivers have caught more than three passes all season. I'd keep an eye on all unhappy Alabama wide receivers this off-season. It won't be a priority if this team closes on a guy like Evan Stewart, but this is another position where I could see a portal addition coming in if it's the right player.

Tight Ends: Although Cade Brewer departs after this season, everyone else is scheduled to return, including true freshmen J'Tavian Sanders and Juan Davis.

Offensive Linemen: Go get as many players with size, experience and availability as possible. Texas doesn't have to automatically find players to anchor its offensive line (although that would help), but it does have to beef up the overall quality of the line in a way that it wrongly failed to do this season.

Defensive Linemen: Pass rushers are hard to find in the portal. Unless the Longhorns find a unicorn, I'd guess this isn't an area we'll see receive a lot of attention, partly because of the volume of returning players on paper and partly because of a huge class of incoming recruits.

Linebackers: As crazy as it sounds when you consider the attention spent on this position in the portal this past off-season, this group still needs a lot of help and might need to replace both starters from this year's defense. How confident is the staff in the young players in the program? I'm not sure that the Longhorns are going to get a lot of incoming help from the true freshman class, so don't be surprised if the coaches are rooting around for a couple of new additions.

Defensive Backs: This is very quietly the biggest underrated need for the program going into the 2022 season when you consider that the entire starting secondary might need to be replaced, and it's hard to say if what's behind D'Shawn Jamison, Anthony Cook, Darrion Dunn, B.J. Foster and Josh Thompson is going to be good enough to lean on without significant support. My guess is the Longhorns will be on any and all defensive backs of plus-quality.

Special teams: With Cameron Dicker going out and incoming recruit Will Stone coming in, the Longhorns could absolutely take a place-kicker through the portal if the right guy comes along.

So, where does that leave things?

It really comes down to the exact rule-changes that the NCAA passes, especially with regards to the 25-man rule, and how much attrition the Longhorns are going to suffer. Considering the size of the 2022 recruiting class, it'll take some attrition just to get the incoming freshmen under the 85-man scholarship number.

If the Longhorns suffer a normal year's worth of attrition and lose 10 players from the roster, that might leave only around five spots to play with to make gains in the portal. In my mind, if you're working with five slots, addressing the offensive line and secondary is paramount, unless a truly plus-player falls into your hands

I know the "A-word" makes some people nervous, but I would offer that this is a year not to worry about it. Assuming there will be NCAA rule-changes, an assumption that the Texas coaching staff seems to be operating under, every player lost might prove to be a better player gained.

No. 2 - One thing I wouldn't lose any sleep over ...

I know Jamarion Miller visited Alabama this weekend, literally on the heels of Jaydon Blue trying to determine whether he still wants to be a Texas commitment.

As much as I borderline love both guys as prospects, I'm just not worried about the running back position, given the state of the running back I just outlined in the previous section. With Texas returning its top four running backs in 2022 barring something unforeseen, any incoming recruit at this position is going to have his hands full cracking through what's in front of him.

If both arrive in the fall, one of them is going to be sixth string. That's just math. The running back position is in the best possible hands through the 2022 season.

Even going into the 2023 season, the Longhorns will have Keilan Robinson and Jonathon Brooks set to lead the attack. Add in the fact that running backs in the portal would be drooling to be featured in a Sarkisian offense in a post-Bijan Robinson world and you still have the 2023 recruiting class to factor in ... and ... I just don't find myself blinking when thinking about the running back position.

No. 3 - The Whittington Factor ...

Things didn't go so well in the first game without Jordan Whittington in the passing game.

It kind of got lost in the aftermath of such a disappointing performance from the offense, but there were questions about what the passing game might look like without Whittington and they certainly still exist going into the Baylor game.

While there were obviously multiple reasons for Xavier Worthy being bottled up by the Oklahoma State defense, the rest of the wide receiver unit combined for five catches for 93 yards and most of that yardage came on a 58-yard reception by Marcus Washington in the first half. On a day when the tight end position didn't pitch in any contributions in the passing game, it just wasn't good enough.

It has to get better against the Bears because this offense can't hit the heights it wants to with only Worthy being able to be counted on from week to week.

The trio of Joshua Moore, Washington and Kelvontay Dixon have to produce more as a group.

Every week.

One way or another, Sarkisian and Andre Coleman have to get more out of this group.

No. 4 - Bijan's season ...

For those scoring at home, Bijan Robinson is averaging 132 yards rushing and 162 yards of all-purpose offense per game.

If he keeps this pace over the course of the next five games, his 12-game numbers will look like this:

Rushing: 250 carries for 1,584 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Receiving: 24 receptions for 355 yards and 5 touchdowns.

That puts him at 1,900+ yards of total offense and 22 touchdowns.

My gut tells me that he finishes north of those numbers.

No. 5 - Scattershooting on the Longhorns ...

... Where on earth would this team be without Xavier Worthy?

... If I ever get carried away with thinking the tight end position is going to have a huge impact on the offense in the passing game, verbally slap me.

... As great as Cameron Dicker has been this season, he has no chance at first-team All-Big 12 status at the end of the year as long as OU's Michael Turks is averaging 3 yards more per punt than him. That's rough competition.

... With an 80% field goal conversion percentage and a punting average of almost 50 yards per kick, is Dicker having the best season of any person that uses his feet in the history of the program?

... Baylor running back Abram Smith officially leads the Big 12 in yards per carry (7.5). It goes without saying that he can't average 7.5 yards per carry this weekend if the Longhorns want to win in Waco.

... The Texas defense ranks 8th in the Big 12 in scoring defense, allowing 29.6 points per game. That's 9.6 points more than this unit's stated goal at the beginning of the season.

... Baylor's pass defense efficiency rating is the best in the conference at 118.5, which is really freaking good. The Texas offense leads the Big 12 with a 166.2 pass efficiency rating.

No. 6 - A new No. 1 ...

On a weekend when his No. 1-ranked Texas Longhorns plowed through Iowa State in Ames to move to a perfect 17-0 on the season and 8-0 in conference play, Jerritt Elliott moved past Mick Haley to become the all-time winningest coach in the history of the program.

When we talk about the coaches on the 40 Acres, we probably don't talk about Elliott enough. After all, you have to go all the way back to 2006 to find a season when his teams didn't finish in the top 10.

Every year, his Longhorns play with a target and every year his teams deliver, usually with a Big 12 title and a deep NCAA Tournament run. This year's team is poised to do no less.

As a reward for their early-season dominance, the Big 12 has given the Longhorns a bye this week so that the Texas players can enjoy their Halloween weekend without anything hanging over their heads.

Trick or treat!

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) I'd still have my money on Luke Brockermeyer until I see the coaches actually take him off the field at the expense of getting Ford on it. I'm not sure that's going to happen.

(Buy) I think Texas has more than four players on its defense that will play on Sundays. Hell, it might have that many in the secondary.

(Buy) I've got the Longhorns splitting the next two games and winning their final three. The Kansas State game might prove to be trickier than the game in Morgantown. That being said, Texas could also be 4-5 in 13 days.

(Sell) It's hard for me to give this group the benefit of the doubt.

(Sell) That feels like a fourth-quarter game that will come down to the final possession of the game.

(Sell) It will take more than three years. Texas hasn't even started the process of actually heading in that direction yet. It might not take that long to be above-average, but to become elite? That isn't happening soon.

(Sell) I've been saying the running backs would get more involved in the passing game all season and I've not been right yet. Let's go with the reverse Jedi-mind trick.

(Sell) I want the Astros to win because I hate the Braves, but catching the fever? Never!

(Sell) See above. I've been predicting this all season and it's yet to happen.

(Buy) Only because running the table with three true road games on the schedule in the coming weeks makes perfection sound very unlikely.

(Sell) There's a better chance of me playing in 2023 than him.

(Sell) Steve Sarkisian is telling and showing us that Thompson is his guy. It would have to get bad in Waco for the hook to come. Maybe we need to define what "bad” looks like.

(Sell) I think he keeps the staff together if at all possible and I don;'t think CDC is having serious conversations with him. Serious?

No. 8 - Scattershooting on the sports weekend ...

... That play where Oklahoma quarterback Caleb Williams took the ball out of Kennedy Brooks' hands and gained enough yardage for a first down, which ultimately led to OU winning in Lawrence, might end up being remembered in Norman like Vince Young's fourth down run against the Jayhawks in 2004, especially if the Sooners win the Big 12 title and qualify for the playoffs.

... OU running back Eric Gray made a huge mistake in transferring to Oklahoma. He's literally killed his stock.

... Former five-star running back Trey Sanders is averaging four carries per game in his sophomore season.

... Is Zac Calzada giving that starting job back to Haynes King?

... A&M has had some good tight ends over the years, but Jalen Wydermyer is the best they've ever had IMO.

... SMU and UTSA being a combined 15-0 this season, while the Longhorns are 4-3, only amplifies the disappointment of this season.

... The Dallas Cowboys have a +59 point differential this season, while the rest of the NFC East is -131.

... The Chiefs kind of suck.

... lol @ Jets.

... Jamarr Chase looks like he might be a transformative type of draft pick for the Bengals. That guy has been everything for them.

... Take a bow, Yordan Alvarez. What a player.

... Premier League Thoughts From The Weekend Because I'm Trying To Force Soccer Down Your Throat: I'm almost at a loss for words for what happened at Old Trafford on Sunday because I know that there are Liverpool fans that have been fans of the club for six or seven decades who have never quite seen anything like they witnessed today. Ole in. It feels like the Big 3 are starting to pull away. Fifth-place Brighton is five points behind Man City. The fourth spot is going to be an absolute free-for-all with six or seven teams that will be desperate to take that final CL spot. lol @ Everton.

No. 9 - Top 10 Hall and Oats Songs ...

I've been in a big Daryl Hall kick in the last week, which means it felt like as good of a time as any other to update my Top 10 list.

After all these years. I've changed my No. 1 pick and I'm not sure it's even close.

10. Say It Isn't So
9. I Can't Go For That
8. Kiss on My List
7. Private Eyes
6. Rich Girl
5. One on One
4. She's Gone
3. You Make My Dreams Come True
2. Maneater
1. Sara Smile.

No. 10 - And Finally...

Good job, dads. You got me in my feelings this weekend.
The "Dads on Duty" has to be one of the best stories I have seen in a while. I worked in high poverty education for 12 out of 20 years and couldn't help but wonder what an impact this would have had at my school. These kids need positive role models and guidance. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Horn19
I need to see flood standing on the table throwing hands over portal spots. He needs 6 minimum. They dont all have to be senior and ready. If theres a younger guy in the portal take him too. Add 2 LBs, 1 Jack. 2 safeties. And slovis will be our portal qb.
I love your thirst.

You deserve a VERBAL slap for even bringing such thoughts to the column....4 players from the secondary - - for sure none from the defensive interior front....And maybe before your time but in a magical 3rd string QB season of 1977 (Fred Akers first season), a punter / kicker named Russell Erxleben was the best of both worlds' - -IMO. As Connie Alexander broadcast the ending of the Tex v OU Cotton Bowl Classic that year ending the game with a punt from the Longhorns own end zone, "He's got the punt off and he's kicked it to the moon" - Not to take away from Dicker the Kicker ! Best kicker only has got to be Justin Tucker !!!

Russell made 14 of 26 field goals that year and averaged less than 46 yards per punt.

Not in the same galaxy, my friend.

Reactions: DKinnamon
Secondary has been decent in pass coverage this year. The long touchdowns against Oklahoma and Tech were fluky and they pretty much have shut down the best WRs on Tech, TCU, Oklahoma & Oklahoma State. On the flip side of that, the run defense and tackling has been very bad late in games. I honestly thought the defense did play better against Ok state, especially the DL with Collins at DE. Do you think Coburn returns for another year?

I also like the stable of young guys in Crawford, Ibrahim, Coffey and especially Barron who seems to play well in zone. At safety Adimora and Thompson will be back but not sure how much they improve. Next year Allen will be a much needed addition to the DB room (As would Harris, Matthews and LTG). Bryce Anderson would have been a godsend. To your point however, even with all that talent, we are likely going to be extremely green on the backend.

The two most important positions of need are OL and LB imo. Will Ovie improve? DJ Harris? Cooks? Love the attention to DL in the recruiting class but who are the inside LBs for us next year? Ford and Gbenda? Richardson? Talk about a head scratcher. Obviously on the OL we need to close on Campbell, Neto and another tackle. Im of of the belief the transfer portal additions has the potential make or break our season next year.
good post

Reactions: DKinnamon
The "Dads on Duty" has to be one of the best stories I have seen in a while. I worked in high poverty education for 12 out of 20 years and couldn't help but wonder what an impact this would have had at my school. These kids need positive role models and guidance. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for reading and watching!

Sara Smile laps the field for the No.1 spot.

Strongly disagree bro. “She’s Gone” is the GOAT song from H & O and it’s not even close. Incredible passion on that song. Also my top karaoke song ever and I have a 100% score rate when I rock it at the bar.

When they really start to jam at the end turn up the heat by jumping up and down, slapping the stage, and the Carlton Dance. Best slump buster ever. Thank me later.

Your gonna look like a total douche trying to karaoke “Sara Smile”. My God bro I never want to see that!!!

Reactions: drunk randoke
Strongly disagree bro. “She’s Gone” is the GOAT song from H & O and it’s not even close. Incredible passion on that song. Also my top karaoke song ever and I have a 100% score rate when I rock it at the bar.

When they really start to jam at the end turn up the heat by jumping up and down, slapping the stage, and the Carlton Dance. Best slump buster ever. Thank me later.

Your gonna look like a total douche trying to karaoke “Sara Smile”. My God bro I never want to see that!!!
That's because She's Gone is a song that mortals can sing.

Sara Smile is for the gods.

Watching people react to Hall and Oats is a cheap thrill of mine. Watch this young woman nearly orgasm to One on One.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT