ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (There's no reason to fear OU in 2020...)

Just curious how many people could fit into DKR wearing masks and 6 feet apart? Maybe every 4th chair and stagger each row? 25,000? Have a ticket lottery system to get in? No spit yellers allowed? Bring noise makers instead?
I would think that would be difficult to pull off.

Reactions: bclear1
I don't see Texas a favorite in any way, shape, or form. We had all of those players listed in key roles last year, and lost to TCU, Baylor, ISU, and OU.

Coaching matters, and OU has a younger, smarter, looser, more talented coach and its not close.

Reactions: Brick Sharthouse
No. 3 - Ossai's big year?

Seeing Ossai so high up the board in an NFL evaluator's set of eyeballs gave me a little reason for pause, simply because if he has the season that everyone believes he's capable of, he's going to have a real decision to make going into the 2021 NFL Draft because he could easily end up carrying a first-round grade.

Once upon a time, it felt like Texas used to keep players like Ossai every year following a big junior season, but in today's climate, it feels like a 50-50 proposition at best when it comes to projecting whether he plays at Texas in 2021.

There are so many wildcards in play that it's truly impossible to project anything at this point, but the seed is planted in my head early on with regards to Ossai. If he emerges as a double-digit sack guy, he's going to carry some NFL buzz.

That was a long time ago. Sure, Roy hung around for 2003. DJ and Ced hung around for '04. But once VY left after '05, it all pretty much ended. If Ossai has the season many think he can have, then for sure he's going to get legit first round buzz. And he'd be a damn fool for not jumping.

Reactions: stevenspaul1357
@Ketchum just looked up Danny Peeples and it looks like he never made it to the majors. Do you know what happened to his career?

No. 5 - Story-time with Uncle Ketch ...

giphy.gif

Reactions: -BaseballCoach-
I don't see Texas a favorite in any way, shape, or form. We had all of those players listed in key roles last year, and lost to TCU, Baylor, ISU, and OU.

Coaching matters, and OU has a younger, smarter, looser, more talented coach and its not close.
Have to hope the gap has been closed considerably in coaching.

Also, the point is that Texas might not be the favorite, but there's no reason why it should be an underdog, either.

That was a long time ago. Sure, Roy hung around for 2003. DJ and Ced hung around for '04. But once VY left after '05, it all pretty much ended. If Ossai has the season many think he can have, then for sure he's going to get legit first round buzz. And he'd be a damn fool for not jumping.
Yup, a long time ago.

Have to hope the gap has been closed considerably in coaching.

Also, the point is that Texas might not be the favorite, but there's no reason why it should be an underdog, either.

Riley vs Herman gap is there. Hopefully Ash has a way to cover Riley's WR's but I will believe it when I see it.

No. 6 - I doubt Kim In Waco is sweating just yet, but ...

New Texas coach Vic Schaefer has it cooking in the early days of his tenure as the new Texas women's basketball coach.

The addition of Johnnie Harris to his coaching staff gives the Longhorns one of the most dynamic assistant coaches in the country and the kind of right-hand assistant that will help in recruiting and potentially could be a head coaching candidate in her own right in short time. The fact that Schaefer has been able to scoop up the engine of his program in Starkville and slide it into Austin has made for a quick transition period for the entire program.

In the last week alone, the Longhorns have added transfers in former Duke captain and starting point guard Kyra Lambert and former Penn State post-player Lauren Ebo. Meanwhile the Longhorns received a commitment from national top-100 prospect DeYona' Gaston (formerly committed to Schaefer at Mississippi State) of Pearland to top off what was an incredibly busy week for the program.

"The first thing that comes to mind is that this is the A-Team," Schaefer said about the staff he's bringing with him to Austin. "They're the best in the business.

Everything about the women's basketball program is suddenly very, very interesting.

Finally, a f'n HC who actually gets the importance of swinging big lumber the moment he arrives in Austin.

Reactions: 1Shooter1
@Ketchum do you see a possibility this year, with the way things are setting up for Texas, and unfortunately as easy as a schedule aggy has in comparison to most years, that they play in either a New Years six or playoff game?

I ask because I have an aggy that fishes in a tournament trail I’m in that mentioned this possibility over the weekend and is already wanting to bet on the outcome.

Perhaps. But again, the upcoming buzz for it is as flat as a bottle of coke that's been open for a week.
I dunno that I would say that. It's the only thing people talk are talking about, other than the Jordan doc.

No.9 - The List: Top 10 Michael Jordan Moments ...

A bit of an odd list. For one, MJ's "shrug" is arguably his most iconic moment. I mean, for sure, it's higher than #9. Secondly, how do you not list his '98 title-winning shot?

Reactions: pringlelake
A bit of an odd list. For one, MJ's "shrug" is arguably his most iconic moment. I mean, for sure, it's higher than #9. Secondly, how do you not list his '98 title-winning shot?
I left the 98 shot off by accident. Should have been top 4.

It's MY list, so it can be however odd I want it to be.

Reactions: RLong68
Yes. I think he would have been a sophomore in 1991.

I remember they had a really good line that year. There were twins Roessler (or something) that I thought went D1... maybe even Texas. I joined the military after I graduated in 92, so I didn’t follow recruiting for 10 years after that.

I remember they had a really good line that year. There were twins Roessler (or something) that I thought went D1... maybe even Texas. I joined the military after I graduated in 92, so I didn’t follow recruiting for 10 years after that.
Roger Roesler played on that great OL that blocked for Ricky. He was Class of 1996, I believe.

Not sure if he had older brothers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT