ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Time to stop braking)

This last loss is so simple in my mind…and I’m a huge fan of Sark but he totally missed the boat this last game.

I think the problem started and persisted almost squarely on Ewers. He was never comfortable. He never set up…constantly threw off his back foot, rushed plays and honesty just played scared…or maybe more gently put, like a freshman making a his first hostile road trip.

So to be clear, I think Ewers had his worst game ever…and hopefully that’s future tense (too). And I still love Ewers but I think it looked like he was hesitant to play with conviction and instead played like he was fearful of getting hit hard.

So despite a lousy first half performance by him we still had a lead…and our D came on in the first couple possessions on fire…

The biggest problem I had was Sark’s playcalling. With all our playmakers Ewers should have been throwing small throws in the flats to them…and just a handful of passes over thr LOS and even those most 5-10yard passes to Sanders…

If we do that, Ewers can stay in the game (get the much needed experience) AND we can move the ball effectively.

Its not rocket science. And I still love Sark but that was on him.
agreed

And Texas could have used Card’s wheels in this game…and just do short passes and have a more mobile QB.
My pref would have been Ewers getting olaycalling first and then if he still can’t hit those easy throws then Card.
I totally get where you are coming from.

I get the frustration, and why people want a change in the defensive side of the ball. But it’s a team loss. All these games sark have lost have been that way. It’s one thing if Texas plays a good game, but the other team just absolutely balls out. But 2 years in, i think everyone knows where the issue is and it starts/ends at the very top. The most baffling aspect is the staff’s inability to make adjustments mid game. Look at gundys press conference, he mentioned that he didn’t do any speeches at half time, just let the coordinators and coaches work with the players on adjustments. All they did was adjust to how Texas ran the ball, and that was it. Sark did literally nothing different in the second half. It’s like he can’t deviate from what’s in the sheet in front of him. Sark might be the 8th best coach in the big 12, but with the most talented roster in the conference most years. Texas will be in more 4th quarter games, and the determining factor is usually which team has the better coach. And that’s not good for Texas

Here’s the deal. If we all know/agree Bijan is special, including having the best hands, why in the hell is he not receiving (CATCHING) more balls every game…and honestly, “saving” those for the second half….our best weapon using his best weapon. Imagine that.

…among imagining Whit, Xavier, Keilan, Roschon all getting balls in the flats. Break a tackle or two by a DB vs busting through 4-6 280 pounders.

I get the frustration, and why people want a change in the defensive side of the ball. But it’s a team loss. All these games sark have lost have been that way. It’s one thing if Texas plays a good game, but the other team just absolutely balls out. But 2 years in, i think everyone knows where the issue is and it starts/ends at the very top. The most baffling aspect is the staff’s inability to make adjustments mid game. Look at gundys press conference, he mentioned that he didn’t do any speeches at half time, just let the coordinators and coaches work with the players on adjustments. All they did was adjust to how Texas ran the ball, and that was it. Sark did literally nothing different in the second half. It’s like he can’t deviate from what’s in the sheet in front of him. Sark might be the 8th best coach in the big 12, but with the most talented roster in the conference most years. Texas will be in more 4th quarter games, and the determining factor is usually which team has the better coach. And that’s not good for Texas

agreed

Here’s the deal. If we all know/agree Bijan is special, including having the best hands, why in the hell is he not receiving (CATCHING) more balls every game…and honestly, “saving” those for the second half….our best weapon using his best weapon. Imagine that.

…among imagining Whit, Xavier, Keilan, Roschon all getting balls in the flats. Break a tackle or two by a DB vs busting through 4-6 280 pounders.
🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

... I still don't understand the Longhorns not using more jet sweeps, end-arounds, shuffle passes, hitches and short pitches to receivers in the name of helping their young quarterback and getting the ball to their best playmakers. It kind of blows my mind that Xavier Worthy averages a touch in the running game once every four games, while no other receiver even has a single carry.
THIS is why we've lost 3 games. THIS is where the gas should be applied. Period.

The long low % pass plays to Worthy are not effective consistently enough. Whittington should have 3x as many targets as he gets. Sanders 2x. Both Bijan & Roschon should be more involved in the passing game.

Elite offensive skill players at EVERY level.....

It truly boggles my mind.

Yes, I know that Dabo Swinney pulled starting quarterback DJ Uiagalelei on Saturday in the third quarter in favor of my guy Cade Klubnik, a decision that Klubnik rewarded his coach with by helping lead a second-half come back win.

I'm just not sure I view the two decisions that Swinney and Sarkisian were forced to make are apples to apples. Maybe apples to bananas. Two things stand out about comparing the two situations.
The two scenarios were not at all similar, and I agree with your analysis.

Uiagalelei was the starting quarterback last year and was inconsistent. Up until last weekend, his play this year wasn't any better than last year, and he was really ineffective at times.

The calls to replace him with Klubnik had grown loud, and when Uiagalelei had another r4ough performance against Syracuse, Dabo pulled the plug and put Klubnik in the game.

Nothing of the sort had been present at Texas.

Ewers started hot against Alabama, came back on fire for Oklahoma, and, after a spotty start against Iowa State, his play got better.

Your analogy of letting a young pitcher work through adversity is a good one. The receivers were open all day. Ewers' play against Alabama and Oklahoma made him a better option than Hudson Card, and you had to think he would settle down and play better. This time, he didn't.

But it was nothing like the decision Dabo faced.

Reactions: BiggdanTX
The two scenarios were not at all similar, and I agree with your analysis.

Uiagalelei was the starting quarterback last year and was inconsistent. Up until last weekend, his play this year wasn't any better than last year, and he was really ineffective at times.

The calls to replace him with Klubnik had grown loud, and when Uiagalelei had another r4ough performance against Syracuse, Dabo pulled the plug and put Klubnik in the game.

Nothing of the sort had been present at Texas.

Ewers started hot against Alabama, came back on fire for Oklahoma, and, after a spotty start against Iowa State, his play got better.

Your analogy of letting a young pitcher work through adversity is a good one. The receivers were open all day. Ewers' play against Alabama and Oklahoma made him a better option than Hudson Card, and you had to think he would settle down and play better. This time, he didn't.

But it was nothing like the decision Dabo faced.
simple as that

MauiHorn said:
I totally agree on NOT taking QE out against OK St. Clemson was getting the crap beat out of them and had nothing to lose.

However, if we have similar challenges with QE against KSt, you have to give Card a chance to take the reins in the second half or before the game gets away from us.”

Maybe Sark should play like he has nothing to lose?

Clemson played like they had nothing to lose. They played to win. Instead of watching their squadron leader fall to pieces over Macho Grande, they recognized he couldn’t handle it that day and made a switch.

Texas wasn’t playing to win in the second half. They were playing not to lose. Ewers couldn't handle it. He went to pieces. Texas coaches saw their squadron leader coming in low and allowed it. What’s the impact? I don't think he’ll ever get over Macho Grande.

Like I said, he's been a starting pitcher that can't get through a line-up more than twice.
It's a good analogy, but it's even worse because he can plan in advance to run anything he wants in the 2nd half. It's like if your pitcher had some unhittable pitches that he refused to throw after the 4th inning or whatever for no goddamn reason at all.

This last loss is so simple in my mind…and I’m a huge fan of Sark but he totally missed the boat this last game.

I think the problem started and persisted almost squarely on Ewers. He was never comfortable. He never set up…constantly threw off his back foot, rushed plays and honesty just played scared…or maybe more gently put, like a freshman making a his first hostile road trip.

So to be clear, I think Ewers had his worst game ever…and hopefully that’s future tense (too). And I still love Ewers but I think it looked like he was hesitant to play with conviction and instead played like he was fearful of getting hit hard.

So despite a lousy first half performance by him we still had a lead…and our D came on in the first couple possessions on fire…

The biggest problem I had was Sark’s playcalling. With all our playmakers Ewers should have been throwing small throws in the flats to them…and just a handful of passes over thr LOS and even those most 5-10yard passes to Sanders…

If we do that, Ewers can stay in the game (get the much needed experience) AND we can move the ball effectively.

Its not rocket science. And I still love Sark but that was on him.
Very similar failure on his part to the one in Fayetteville last year.

MauiHorn said:
I totally agree on NOT taking QE out against OK St. Clemson was getting the crap beat out of them and had nothing to lose.

However, if we have similar challenges with QE against KSt, you have to give Card a chance to take the reins in the second half or before the game gets away from us.”

Maybe Sark should play like he has nothing to lose?

Clemson played like they had nothing to lose. They played to win. Instead of watching their squadron leader fall to pieces over Macho Grande, they recognized he couldn’t handle it that day and made a switch.

Texas wasn’t playing to win in the second half. They were playing not to lose. Ewers couldn't handle it. He went to pieces. Texas coaches saw their squadron leader coming in low and allowed it. What’s the impact? I don't think he’ll ever get over Macho Grande.
5 minutes to go in the game with the score tied... this happened.

He didn't go to pieces.

Reactions: BiggdanTX

He didn't go to pieces.

The Oklahoma state game just confirms what we all as posters know but maybe chose to forget in all the playoff talk and anointing Ewers: great Qb play covers a lot of warts and poor qb play in contrast reveals it. If he’s even above average at let’s 30/49 that game isn’t likely close in the 4th.

also I didn’t make it in b/s but do you think with all the young talent on the Oline, Arch on deck there’s no choice but to See it through with Sark/Arch through year 5? With the portal I don’t see Arch being here through his college career without him.

My main b/s is this: if Ed O could do it with Burrow, Chizik with Cam, jimbo with jameis, it’s entirely possible one of these 2 QBs elevates above average coaching with elite play at the position matched with elite recruiting everywhere else and we should afford Sark that chance with Arch’s best years coinciding with our entry to the SEC?

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

None of this is rocket science.

Twenty games into the Steve Sarkisian era in Austin has provided us with a snapshot of what must improve in order for his tenure to ultimately be viewed as a success.

* Texas must play better on the road (1-6 record in true road games).

* Texas must learn how to win close games (3-8 record in games decided by one score).

* Texas must learn how to truly be all gas, no brakes (5 blown double-digit second half leads in 20 games)

Typically, when one of these issues pop up, all three of them pop. At the same time.

Too often under Sarkisian, the Longhorns start extremely fast, build up a multi-score lead and then slowly lose its grip of the game in the second half, before fading off into the sunset.

Teams go into games against Sarkisian's Longhorns knowing that if they can drag them into the deep waters of a fourth quarter game, they'll be able to drown Sarkisian's players. Don't take my word for it. Just look at what Texas Tech head coach Joey McGuire told his team after they overcame a 14-point deficit in the second half to beat the Longhorns in overtime.

"I told you they were going to break and they did," McGuire told his team in the locker room immediately following the win over Texas.

It's easy to imagine that Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy offered a similar speech to his players on Saturday in Stillwater when the Cowboys trailed at halftime and were down by 10 points with 2:10 remaining in the third quarter.

Through a very narrow prism, it would be easy to blame the players for what happened on Saturday in allowing the Cowboys to close the game on a 17-3 run in the final 17 minutes of the game. After all, Quinn Ewers did not play well. The defense stopped tackling. The special teams success faded after a fantastic start.

Yet, the further you expand the prism through which we look at these defeats, the more and more that it becomes obvious that this is a trend that falls at the feat of the team's head coach... the likable Sarkisian.

Through the first 20 games of his coaching tenure in Austin, Sarkisian has mostly looked like a Major League starting pitcher that can give you five innings and two trips through the batting order, but if you ask him to go through the line-up a third time... the results are rarely good.

Consider the following trend

2021 Oklahoma: Texas scored 38 points in the first half and held a three-score lead, only to ne held to 10 points in the second half.

2021 Oklahoma State - Texas scored 17 points in the first half and held an 11 point lead in the third quarter, only to be held to seven second-half points.

2021 Baylor - Texas took an 11 point lead with 8:49 left in the third quarter, only to score three points in the final 23:49 of the game, while the Bears closed the game on a 21-3 run.

2022 Texas Tech - The Longhorns scored 24 first half points and held a 31-17 lead with 4:27 left in the third quarter, only to allow Tech to run off a 20-3 run to close out the game.

2022 Oklahoma State - The Longhorns scored 31 points and led my multiple scores on three different occasions, but were held to 3 second half points and were outscored 24-3 over the final 32:41 of game time.

These are the games that have defined Sarkisian's career thus far and the storylines are all the same. How different might last season have looked if the Longhorns had been able to close out any of those three games? How different might this season's run for a spot in the Big 12 championship game look if the Longhorns hadn't been outscored by a combined 54-6 after reaching its zenith in both games.

It's all gas, no breaks for Sarkisian and his teams right up until the moment when a head coach like Lincoln Riley, Mike Gundy, Dave Aranada or McGuire makes an adjustment to what is happening to their teams against the Longhorns and then Sarkisian rarely displayed the ability to make an adjustment to correspond with the opponent's adjustment.

That's where we are right now.

Until Sarkisian can start making second half adjustments after the opposing teams have made its adjustments, this is going to be the story of his tenure.

Closes losses... on the road... after holding big first-half (and sometimes second-half leads). The ability to finish games isn't just a player issue. It starts at the top with Sarkisian.

Of course, you don't have to believe me.

You can listen to McGuire. You can look at the box scores. You can just use your eyes.

Again, none of this is rocket science.

No. 2 - About pulling Ewers for Hudson Card on Saturday ...

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't have pulled Ewers in favor of Hudson Card on Saturday.

I'm a subscriber to the belief that young quarterbacks learn the most from extreme adversity and if you believe that Ewers is going to be the player that leads the program out of the woods in 2023, you've got to let him weather a few storms, even if it means losing an occasional game.

Yes, I know that Dabo Swinney pulled starting quarterback DJ Uiagalelei on Saturday in the third quarter in favor of my guy Cade Klubnik, a decision that Klubnik rewarded his coach with by helping lead a second-half come back win.

I'm just not sure I view the two decisions that Swinney and Sarkisian were forced to make are apples to apples. Maybe apples to bananas. Two things stand out about comparing the two situations.

1. You can make the case that Klubnik is truly the long-term answer for the Tigers at the quarterback position. As much as I'm a fan of Card, he's not the long-term answer at the quarterback position for the Longhorns. That would be Ewers.

2. Swinney made the call in the third quarter when the Tigers were losing by two scores. Despite Ewers' struggles, the Longhorns had a double-digit lead with 2:41 left in the third quarter. Are you really going to pull your starter in a road game that you're winning when going to the fourth quarter, especially when that player is in the middle of his first career road start?

This isn't the same situation as Card making his first career start at Arkansas last year when the Longhorns were getting run out of the stadium.

I'd argue that when Oklahoma State tied the game with 9:54 remaining in the fourth quarter that it was exactly the moment that you needed Ewers to experience as a young player, regardless of the final outcome.

Michael Jordan once said, "My failure gave me strength, my pain was my motivation."

It won't make the sting of Saturday's loss feel any better, but Ewers will be a better player in the future by learning and growing from this failure and the pain that comes with it. Taking him out of the game would have robbed him of a valuable teaching moment.

How else is he going to thrive in these situations moving forward if you take him out of the very first one he experiences?

No. 3 - Just for the record...

There was quite a bit of hyperbole on the message boards and on social media following last night's 94.7 efficiency rating that Ewers posted over four quarters in Stillwater.

A lot of people seemed to think that Ewers' performance was the worst quarterback performance they had ever seen. Frankly, I'm shocked that some of you have forgotten some of the Mom's-spaghetti-vomit-on-your-shirt performances at the quarterback position for the Longhorns over the years, but in reality the Longhorns have had 18 sub-100 efficiency rating performances (minimum 15 pass attempts) since 2012.

Basically, every quarterback that has started for the Longhorns in the last decade has at least one. Most of them had multiple such performances. Everyone's favorite Longhorn Sam Ehlinger had two... in his junior season.

It happens, especially to young quarterbacks on the road.

Here's the gruesome list:

2019 Sam Ehlinger at Baylor (99.5) - 22 of 37 for 200 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
2019 Sam Ehlinger at TCU (99.1) - 22 of 38 for 321 hards, 2 TD, 4 INT
2017 Sam Ehlinger at Texas Tech (96.5) - 26 of 47 for 239 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT
2016 Shane Buechele vs TCU (82.9) - 16 of 39 for 218 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
2015 Tyrone Swoopes at Notre Dame (67.3) - 7 of 22 for 93 yards, 9 TD, 0 INT
2015 Tyrone Swoopes vs. Texas Tech (63.2) - 9 of 18 for 52 yards, 0 TYD, 1 INT
2015 Jerrod Heard at TCU (60.2) - 8 of 20 for for 48 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
2014 Tyrone Swoopes vs. Baylor (70.9) - 16 of 34 for 144 yards 0 TD, 2 INT
2014 Tyrone Swoopes at Kansas State (87.6) - 13 of 25 for 106 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
2014 Tyrone Swoopes vs. West Virginia (78.3) - 11 of 29 for 124 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
2014 Tyrone Swoopes vs. TCU (94.4) - 20 of 34 for 200 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT
2014 Tyrone Swoopes vs. Arkansas (63.2) - 13 of 25 for 57 yards, 0 TS, 1 INT
2013 Case McCoy vs. Oklahoma State (98.9) - 26 of 39 for 221 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT
2013 Case McCoy at Baylor (46.6) - 12 of 34 for 54 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
2013 Case McCoy vs. Oregon (47.3) - 8 of 17 for 48 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT
2012 David Ash vs. Oklahoma (63.8) - 13 of 29 for 113 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT
2012 David Ash at Kansas (58.1) - 8 of 16 for 63 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT
2012 David Ash vs. TCU (70.2) - 10 of 21 for 104 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

I know that's not going to make you feel better, but I hope it gives some perspective and context.

Hell, even the best quarterbacks in the history of the sport had some amazingly bad clunkers early in their college careers. Consider the following games as evidence.

2018 Joe Burrow vs. Miami (94.8) - 11 of 24 for 140 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
2018 Joe Burrow at Florida (91.6) - 19 of 34 for 102 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT
2018 Joe Burrow vs. Mississippi State (88.7) - 16 of 28 for 129 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
2017 Josh Allen at Iowa (84.0) - 23 of 40 for 174 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT
2017 Josh Allen vs. Oregon (51.6) - 9 of 24 for 64 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
2017 Josh Allen at Boise State (82.6) - 12 of 27 for 131 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
2016 Patrick Mahomes at Iowa State (99.2) - 18 of 36 for 219 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
2016 Josh Allen at Nebraska (78.7) - 16 of 32 for 189 yards, 1 TD, 5 INT
2015 Kyler Murray at Auburn (68.8) - 13 of 23 for 104 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT
2010 Russell Wilson at East Carolina (86.8) - 26 of 52 for 322 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT
2010 Russell Wilson at Central Florida (73.7) - 10 of 30 for 105 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
2009 Russell Wilson vs. South Carolina (79.2) - 12 of 23 for 74 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT
2009 Russell Wilson vs. Clemson (99.9) - 12 of 32 for 183 yards,, 2 TD, 1 INT
2008 Russell Wilson at Clemson (74.9) - 10 of 21 for 92 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
2003 Aaron Rodgers vs. Oregon State (33.4) - 9 of 34 for 52 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
1998 Tom Brady vs. Syracuse (95.9) - 13 of 24 for 104 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
1994 Peyton Manning vs. Alabama (97.7) - 10 of 18 for 138 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

No. 4 - Big 12 officiating dumpster fire ...

I'm still kind of at a loss about the one-sided nature of the penalties in Saturday's game more than 24 hours after it all happened.

In my mind, as soon as the officials got back to their locker room at halftime, a conversation like this HAD to occur.

Lead official: "Fellas, I don't think we're doing a bad job at all, but we've called 10 penalties on the Longhorns and none on the Cowboys. The optics of that are pretty terrible."

Official No.2: "Sir, Oklahoma State had committed the fewest penalties in the Big 12. Is it our fault Texas is so undisciplined."

Lead official: "No, it's not your fault, but I don't want to get a phone call from the league office on Monday because of the appearances of bias."

Official No.3: "We understand, boss. What do you want us to do?"

Lead official: You know how it is. You can pretty much call a holding penalty every time Oklahoma State runs the ball or throws it to the boundary. Just make sure and throw a few flags in the second half, so we don't get called out."

Official No.4: " We hear you loud and clear."

Apparently, that conversation did not take place. How do we know? Because the game ended with the Longhorns being called for 14 penalties, while the Cowboys played the cleanest game in the history of college football.

I just don't know how that happens. If there's a one-sided set of fouls in an NBA game at halftime, you better believe the other team is going to be in the bonus three minutes into the third quarter. The last thing that can happen is that the one-sided appearances continue for four quarters to such a degree that the integrity of the contest gets called into question.

The officials in Stillwater scoffed at appearances and integrity, seemingly yelling "YOLO!" while running back onto the field for the third quarter.

We all knew that Big 12 officials would eventually give Texas the old' Grant Teaff screw-job before the Longhorns left the conference for good, but this wasn't something that even the biggest conspiracy theorists could have seen coming.

I said it right after the game and I'll say it again, that was some absolute bullshit.

How important was it to the outcome of the game? Just ask Mike Gundy.

No. 5 - Updating the freshmen participation board ...

You can not add deep snapper Lance St. Louis and wide receiver Savion Red to the list of players that have played in 5+ games this season, thus eliminating any chance at a redshirt season for both.

The current list of freshmen that have played in 5+ games this season includes the following: K Will Stone, DS St. Louis, OL Cole Hutson, OL Kelvin Banks, OL Cam Williams, WR Savion Red, RB Jaydon Blue, CB Jaylon Guilbeau, DE Justice Finkley, CB Austin Jordan and Edge Ethan Burke.

Interestingly enough, cornerback Terrance Brooks wasn't listed in the participation chart for the game in Stillwater and is still stuck on four games, which means that his redshirt option still exists.

Wide receiver Brenen Thompson played on Saturday and is now sitting on four games played.

The only other freshman that is currently sitting on three games played is offensive lineman DJ Campbell, who saw the most playing time on Saturday than he's seen all season.

No. 6 - Texas Football Scattershooting ...

... After the carnage of flags in Stillwater, the Longhorns now led the Big 12 with the most penalties committed in the conference with 51, which is six more than Texas Tech has in second place. Texas is the only team in the conference with 400+ yards of penalties (408).

... Ewers doesn't have enough attempts to qualify for the Big 12 passing leaderboard, but his season passing efficiency of 143.6 would rank fifth if he did. Hudson Card's 158.3 season rating would rank fourth if he had enough action to qualify.

... Bijan Robinson has taken the lead in the Big 12 rushing title race, as his 920 yards in 8 games (115.0 per game) leads Deuce Vaughn (106.3 per game) and TCU's Kendre Miller (104.4). It's crazy to think, but Vaughn might not make first-team All-Big 12 when you consider that Robinson and Miller have 11 and 10 touchdowns on the ground, respectively, while vaughn only has 4.

... Xavier Worthy leads the Big 12 in touchdown receptions (7), but is fifth in receptions (36), fifth in yards (510) and sixth in yards per game (63.8).

... Bert Auburn is 7th in the Big 12 in field goal percentage (72.2).

... This team is really going to miss Anthony Cook, who you'd think will probably miss the final four games of the season after breaking his arm on Saturday. For my money, Cook has been having an all-Big 12 type of season at safety and you can make a case that this team might be 4-4 right now without him. With his omission from the line-up, Kitan Crawford and Michael Taffe are both going to step up their level of play, something that didn't really happen against the Cowboys.

... A year ago, transfer Ben Davis led all Texas defenders with a pretty pathetic 2.5 sacks for the season. Through eight games, the sack leaderboard looks like this:

1. Barryn Sorrey (3)
2T. DeMarvion Overshown (2.5)
2T. Moro Ojomo (2.5)
4. Jaylan Ford (2)
5T. Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey (1.5)
5T. Keondre Coburn (1.5)
7T. Ovie Oghoufo (1)
7T. D'Shawn Jamison (1)
7T. Byron Murphy (1)

... A year ago, Jaylan Ford led the team in tackle for loss with 6. Through eight games, here's what the tackle for loss leaderboard looks like.

1. Jaylan Ford (7.5)
2. DeMarvion Overshown (6)
3. Jahdae Barron (5.5)
4T. Ovier Oghoufo (5)
4T. Moro Ojomo (5)
6. Barryn Sorrell (4)
7T. Byron Murphy (3)
7T. Keondre Coburn (3)

... Ovie Oghoufo has a single sack and five tackles for loss this season as the starting edge player for this team. That's not remotely good enough.

... I still don't understand the Longhorns not using more jet sweeps, end-arounds, shuffle passes, hitches and short pitches to receivers in the name of helping their young quarterback and getting the ball to their best playmakers. It kind of blows my mind that Xavier Worthy averages a touch in the running game once every four games, while no other receiver even has a single carry.

... UTSA is the only team that Texas has beaten this season that received a single vote in either of the two major polls on Sunday.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) I'm not sure it is all hinging on a 7-5 record. If there's a big public sentiment that a change needs to be made, I think Sarkisian will make the change. He'll have 2024 recruiting that he'll need to really consider.

(Sell) The hire of Kwiatkowski wasn't anything like those hires. He arrived with a rep as being one of the best DCs in the entire country. It's just not fully working out.

(Sell) While I believe Texas might have beaten Alabama, the truth of the matter is that the Tide would have made adjustments before or at halftime and I have very little trust that Sarkisian would have adjusted well to their adjustments. What happened in the first quarter wouldn't have happened over four quarters... IMO.

(Sell) I think he's just going through the kind of growing pains that almost all young quarterbacks go through.

(Sell) There's certainly a chance that it could/would happen, but my instincts say that he plays in the bowl game.

(Buy) Yes.

(Sell) He's in danger of losing momentum he might have been able to bring into the off-season, but I don't believe the 2023 class or the locker room is about to fall apart.

(Sell) I don't know that I've ever viewed him as a generational player, even if I rated him as a five-star. Yes, I do believe his arm talent will see him drafted in the first round, but I had several questions about him as a prospect and making plays in the face of pressure was one of them.

(Buy) It's no small thing that almost the entirety of the interior of the defensive line, along with the likes of Demarvion Overshown, D'Shawn Jamison and Anthony Cook will all need to be replaced.

(Sell) The moment the Mannings decided t commit to Texas was the moment I think they made peace with whatever might happen on the field in 2022.

(Buy) He's a smart dude.

(Sell) I haven't heard any rumblings from Camp Ewers that is suggesting he's dealing with issues related to the injury.

(Buy) No doubt.

(Sell) The plan is the plan and the plan has the entire 2022 season being used as a build-up to what is hoped to be a sensational 2023 season.

No. 8 - Scattershooting on anything and everything ...

... Congrats to the Texas soccer team. Big 12 Champions. It's the first time the Longhorns have had a piece of the regular-season title since 2001. Whoa.

... If I had a vote that mattered ...

1. Georgia
2 Ohio State
3. Tennessee
4. Michigan
5. Clemson
6. TCU
7. Alabama
8. Oregon
9. USC
10. Oklahoma State

... Heisman Ballot: 1. QB Hendon Hooker (Tennessee), 2. QB CJ Stroud (Ohio State), 3. QB Max Duggan (TCU), 4. RB Blake Corum (Michigan) and 5. RB Bijan Robinson (Texas)

... At least the Longhorns have this going for them...

... No deficit seems to be too big for TCU to overcome. For the second straight week, TCU was down by multiple scores, only to flip the script in dominating fashion once the "on" button was pushed.

... Tennessee/Georgia is going to be some kind of game in two weeks.

... Is Brian Kelly getting it going in Baton Rouge?

... Kansas State seemingly had a bad loss to Tulane at home, but Tulane is 7-1 and leading the American Conference. Maybe that wasn't such a bad loss.

... Welcome back, Dak. There was nothing about Sunday that really stood out as significant, but the Cowboys moved to 5-2 and didn't have to strain much to get there, primarily because Detroit was pretty terrible on offense. Just pick up the W and move on.

... Christian McCaffrey, who? All D'Onte Foreman did in his first start as the new RB1 in Carolina was rush for 118 yards on 15 carries, while totaling 145 yards of all-purpose offense. Attaboy.

... Devin Duvernay has emerged into a really good NFL player.

... The Astros are a monster of a team. They deserve the label of World Series favorites. I'm not confused at all about the challenge in front of my Phils.

... It hasn't been easy being a Phillies fan for 39 years, but moments like this are what help you get through the lean years. MV3!

... I can't believe the Padres didn't bring in Josh Hader to face Harper. He had been so dominant in the post-season.

... The Spurs are 2-1 and the Sixers are 0-3. What alternate universe have I entered?

... On a weekend when Chelsea, Man United, Tottenham, Arsenal and Brighton all dropped points, freaking Liverpool lost to Forest. Good grief.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Horror Movies ...

It's that time of the year when I end up watching a certain kind of movie (horror) that I rarely watch in the other 11 months out of the year. Just a heads up, I didn't consider Jaws, Silence of the Lambs, Alien, Misery of The Sixth Sense as horror movies. Right or wrong, I chalk these movies up into other movie categories.

10. Friday the 13th

I'm pretty sure this was the first horror movie that I watched as a young kid. I might have been 5. It scared the living crap out of me, especially when the babysitter and her friends left me alone with the movie as a joke.

9. Scream

My favorite horror film from the 90s. A cast that includes Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox, David Arquette and Drew Barrymore goes a long way.

8. A Nightmare on Elm Street

Another movie from my childhood where I remember exactly where I was and who I was with when I watched it for the first time. I was at Shane Barnes' house and my bike was stolen while we watched the movie.

7. Poltergeist

I wasn't afraid of anything in the closet or under my bed until I saw this movie when I was probably 7. Thanks, HBO.

6. Rosemary's Baby

One of the all-time classic slots in just outside of the top 5.

5. Halloween

You knew Michael Myers was going to be somewhere in the Top 10.

4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I don't know how you make a Horror Top 10 without Leatherface cracking the Top 10.

3. Psycho

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you arguably the best of Alfred Hitchcock.

2. The Exorcist

I will not argue against anyone that believes Pazuzu deserves the No.1 slot.

1. The Shining

I've probably seen this movie more times than the other nine combined. I don't know if it is because it was a cable fixture of my childhood or if I somehow just end up watching it once every couple of years, but it's probably not good that I've seen this movie at least 25 times.

No. 10 - And Finally ...

I leave you with the best thing I saw all weekend.

I think the Big 12 has decided that ou and Texas are not going to win a football championship before they leave for SEC and the refers have got the text.

I respectfully disagree about putting Card in the game and here is my logic:
1) Ewers getting yanked still gives him plenty of adversity to work through.
2) With swirling wind, is it a terrible idea to put in a dual threat QB who can tuck and run at any point?
3) How about making TCU, KState and KU have to prepare to face a completely different package at any given moment?
4) I think the chances are remote, but Arky pretty much ruined Card for a huge chunk of last year. He never really recovered (plus I know he was playing hurt.) At some point you have to be careful not to expose your young QB to too much adversity.

Reactions: dzsmvk
I haven't thought about it.

Seven win Steve is cold-blooded.
Five win Steve is a possibility. The inability to change, to make second half adjustments just proves it, everybody else has a better head coach. That is still intolerable after more than a decade.

Reactions: FrancoBevo

He didn't go to pieces.

I don’t see how missing a throw to an open Worthy proves your point.

Maybe watch that again. On 3rd and 7 from the 28, a key play in the game, Bijan was wide open for an easy 5 yard pass that certainly picks up the first down and maybe he takes it in for a score.

Ewers never looked at him. From the snap, Ewers was focused on a 30 yard TD throw. He’d been missing those throws downfield all day.

Man, now that you highlight that clip, it just shows what a mistake Ewers made.

Card is Card, no doubt, but he’s older and probably looks for Bijan there.

Wide Open RB!

Reactions: teflojr and dzsmvk
At the end of the day, we’re just a few plays from being undefeated so I really don’t think it’s doom and gloom for our Horns.

We just need some better second half play calling. Special teams played outstanding. Only glitch was the missed FG. Defense played pretty solid and minus the meltdown at the very end it was good enough to win..:and overall our tackling is TONS better this year than in over a decade.

Just be smart and utilize this insane talent we have..:and when someone (Ewers) is having a bad day and it’s apparent, set him up for success…not making long passes…short passes to open space.

It’s almost more painful being SO close to a great team that just sucking. However, it does leave much more room for optimism and a better recruiting pitch so it’s not more painful. Sometimes we all just need a reminder.

Being a Longhorn fan for all these years has been so painful. I’m beginning to doubt Sark. Some are comparing him to Jimbo this week. Not sure I buy that at all. Another very frustrating thing is reading Longhorn reporting from a guy who lives in Houston and yet is a Cowboy fan (much despised in Houston) and just as as bad, a Phillies fan, at a time of greatness for the Astros, who. Have helped all of baseball celebrate YED (Yankee Elimination Day) today. SMH at Ketch’s choice of teams to support!

Being a Longhorn fan for all these years has been so painful. I’m beginning to doubt Sark. Some are comparing him to Jimbo this week. Not sure I buy that at all. Another very frustrating thing is reading Longhorn reporting from a guy who lives in Houston and yet is a Cowboy fan (much despised in Houston) and just as as bad, a Phillies fan, at a time of greatness for the Astros, who. Have helped all of baseball celebrate YED (Yankee Elimination Day) today. SMH at Ketch’s choice of teams to support!
Ha - I feel ya on the Phillies part. I’ve never understood how anyone who lives in Texas (and especially born/raised here) could root for any northeast team.
The Cowboys though - we are America’s team so no fault there!! 😁
That said, I grew up rooting for the Stros so I have no problem toggling between Rangers (live in DFW now) and the Stros….and right now the Stros look untouchable!!

The Oklahoma state game just confirms what we all as posters know but maybe chose to forget in all the playoff talk and anointing Ewers: great Qb play covers a lot of warts and poor qb play in contrast reveals it. If he’s even above average at let’s 30/49 that game isn’t likely close in the 4th.

also I didn’t make it in b/s but do you think with all the young talent on the Oline, Arch on deck there’s no choice but to See it through with Sark/Arch through year 5? With the portal I don’t see Arch being here through his college career without him.

My main b/s is this: if Ed O could do it with Burrow, Chizik with Cam, jimbo with jameis, it’s entirely possible one of these 2 QBs elevates above average coaching with elite play at the position matched with elite recruiting everywhere else and we should afford Sark that chance with Arch’s best years coinciding with our entry to the SEC?
all fair

I think the Big 12 has decided that ou and Texas are not going to win a football championship before they leave for SEC and the refers have got the text.
You might not be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT