ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Time to stop braking)

Ketch, I can watch any movie on your list, but I simply cannot watch the Exorcist. That movie had me messed up for weeks after watching it. Also, the Omen (1976) should have been on your list.
Omen was the last movie out. No.11 on my list.

Reactions: fshanks
Keep improving. So you’ve seen improvement? Are you basing this on the win over OK and the close loss to Alabama? Both may turn out to be fools gold. Regardless, outside of those, I don’t really see any “improvement”. I see treading water at the mediocrity dock.

Also, it’s really hard for me to accept “improvement“ solely based on comparison to the abortion that was last year.

It would be like getting a 40 on the first exam and then getting a 50 on the next one and pretending I’d accomplished something. It’s still failing by any reasonable standard, especially for the football program that consistently tops the revenue rankings and pays combined salaries approaching $15m to people that don’t seem to have a fvcking clue how to consistently win games on Saturday, which, at the end of the day, is the only metric that matters.

The OL is improving.

The defense has improved from a year ago, although it struggles on the road.

The defense’s inability to consistently get the QB to the ground is killing this team. There are so many times guys get right there, but somehow are just a bit too late, or the QB escapes.
Ovie should not be starting. I don’t understand why a young guy like Justice Finkley isn’t getting most of Ovie’s reps, since he has proven to be mostly inadequate as an edge rusher.
The few times I’ve noticed Finkley in games, he seems to be disruptive in the backfield. I think it would be much more beneficial to have Finkley getting the valuable in game experience.
When it was announced that PK was going to come in as Sark’s DC, I was excited. His defenses at UW were pretty good. I’m at the point now where I’m beginning to believe his philosophy just isn’t conducive to stopping Big XII offenses on a weekly basis. Part of me thinks it’s got to be him, while I also believe some is due to inadequate personnel.
totally understand.

It's funny to me that the people that called Herman by the nickname Turtle Tom don't have a cute nickname for Sark yet.
He earned one last year but there was nothing about Saturday that showed sark tried to turtle. In fact, I wish he would have ran it more in the 2nd half.

Fair point. The Portal will be critical.

Great quarterback play is the ultimate trump card, though.
Agreed…Frustrating that Dykes is having a great season in year 1 at TCU…the luck has to change for TX at some point right???

Bryce Harper Sport GIF by MLB
You do live in Houston now. Dont put out that Philly flag.

Yet, it must be stressed.... if Worthy doesn't fall and the refs don't flag Jones after Ewers long run... the whole thing looks different, no?

Maybe... Those 30 incompletions and two interceptions still exist though. This game had loss written all over it eventually one way or another.

Agreed…Frustrating that Dykes is having a great season in year 1 at TCU…the luck has to change for TX at some point right???
I'm not sure our "luck" will change as long as we have B12 officials working the games. We will have to make our own luck.

Great points regarding areas Sark needs to improve ie on the road, when leading, adjustments, etc. What are the chances anyone will pose these questions to him at say....a press conference??

Great points regarding areas Sark needs to improve ie on the road, when leading, adjustments, etc. What are the chances anyone will pose these questions to him at say....a press conference??
He gets asked about these things all the time. The answers are just words.

Gotcha. But one day Sark won’t have a Ewers or Arch type QB and it’s not encouraging that he needs a generation type talent to get the job done to the level expected…
And one day he will have Ewers and Arch with more than a few games experience. It will make a difference. Sanders has been playing since he was a freshman and still is not that great a QB. You give Arch or Ewers either one 10 games of college experience and they will be twice the QB.

Reactions: Eagle Fang
What was most frustrating about yesterday was that Ewers was largely doing the “one read and heave” routine for pretty much the entire game. But in the first half there were enough called shorter and RB routes to almost force him into a successful play.

In the second half, Sark just seemed to lean on Ewers more heavily to make the traditional deep to short progression reads. Like Ewers was just magically going to get it together?

In the second half, Gundy had Sanders throw a bunch of those passes out to the edge to test our tiring defenses. Ewers can throw those passes. And we certainly have more explosive weapons than OSU to run those plays. Yet, they were minimal for us in the second half.

I could feel the deflation from the OSU fans around me when we scored to make it a 31-17 game. They were ready to be pushed over the edge. Unfortunately I had seen this movie many times before and had little confidence even with a 14 point lead.
100%!! I was screaming that all Sanders was doing was dink and dunk. We intercepted him 1 time and it could easily have 3 and possibly 4! Why couldn't Sark have Ewers throwing some of these short passes until he got into a rhythm?

The most disappointing aspect of Sark has been the lack of imagination in the 2nd half. I was led to believe that Sark set defenses up with plays that pay off later in the game. I haven't seen any of that. I can't for the life of me figure out why he uses all his best plays in the first half. Save some stuff for the 4th qtr and I think he'd be wise to script series for different situations late in games.

This last loss is so simple in my mind…and I’m a huge fan of Sark but he totally missed the boat this last game.

I think the problem started and persisted almost squarely on Ewers. He was never comfortable. He never set up…constantly threw off his back foot, rushed plays and honesty just played scared…or maybe more gently put, like a freshman making a his first hostile road trip.

So to be clear, I think Ewers had his worst game ever…and hopefully that’s future tense (too). And I still love Ewers but I think it looked like he was hesitant to play with conviction and instead played like he was fearful of getting hit hard.

So despite a lousy first half performance by him we still had a lead…and our D came on in the first couple possessions on fire…

The biggest problem I had was Sark’s playcalling. With all our playmakers Ewers should have been throwing small throws in the flats to them…and just a handful of passes over thr LOS and even those most 5-10yard passes to Sanders…

If we do that, Ewers can stay in the game (get the much needed experience) AND we can move the ball effectively.

Its not rocket science. And I still love Sark but that was on him.

I just think the elephant in the room about the 2003 situation was that Texas needed to throw the ball and VY wasn't really very good at that yet, whereas Chance was one of the nation's highest rated passers.
And Texas could have used Card’s wheels in this game…and just do short passes and have a more mobile QB.
My pref would have been Ewers getting olaycalling first and then if he still can’t hit those easy throws then Card.

Reactions: dzsmvk
And one day he will have Ewers and Arch with more than a few games experience. It will make a difference. Sanders has been playing since he was a freshman and still is not that great a QB. You give Arch or Ewers either one 10 games of college experience and they will be twice the QB.
I believe this to be true.

Reactions: FrankS1985
100%!! I was screaming that all Sanders was doing was dink and dunk. We intercepted him 1 time and it could easily have 3 and possibly 4! Why couldn't Sark have Ewers throwing some of these short passes until he got into a rhythm?
It's kind of mind-blowing that he did so little to make it easier for his young quarterback.

The most disappointing aspect of Sark has been the lack of imagination in the 2nd half. I was led to believe that Sark set defenses up with plays that pay off later in the game. I haven't seen any of that. I can't for the life of me figure out why he uses all his best plays in the first half. Save some stuff for the 4th qtr and I think he'd be wise to script series for different situations late in games.
Like I said, he's been a starting pitcher that can't get through a line-up more than twice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT