ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Trying to make sense of Texas baseball)

Pierce has now finished below .500 in 2 of the 3 years he's been here. He has a 6th place finish, a 1st place finish and a last place finish. Looks like last year was the outlier.

Pierce has now finished below .500 in 2 of the 3 years he's been here. He has a 6th place finish, a 1st place finish and a last place finish. Looks like last year was the outlier.
Your data is incorrect. Go check again.

Good seeing PJ doing what he's doing now! I remember when we were in college...dude was an absolute beast and a BAMF. It was just known to not mess with PJ because he would take it there. Now, fast-forward nearly 15 years and he's still a guy known in he league as someone to not mess with.

Hard-nose player and definitely the defensive identity and fire on this Rocket's team.

You’ve been a Sixers, Phillies, and Cowboys fan since childhood and your favorite sports team is a football club that you’ve been a fan of for like 10 minutes, comparatively speaking?

Reactions: Gus McCrea
My strategy on horse racing:

Wake me up for the third leg of the triple crown IF, and only if, the same horse won the first two legs. Otherwise, who cares?

My backup take on horse racing:
Mint juleps are overrated.

You care enough about a sport you don’t care about to post about it? Cool.

Loved me some Cheers. Truly amazing show and a great 11 years. Also, Frasier, the spin off, went for another 11 years and there was talk of bringing the show back.

Reactions: Pauln722
Good seeing PJ doing what he's doing now! I remember when we were in college...dude was an absolute beast and a BAMF. It was just known to not mess with PJ because he would take it there. Now, fast-forward nearly 15 years and he's still a guy known in he league as someone to not mess with.

Hard-nose player and definitely the defensive identity and fire on this Rocket's team.
I've always wanted to see him fight. It's weird.

Reactions: ninoshrv
You’ve been a Sixers, Phillies, and Cowboys fan since childhood and your favorite sports team is a football club that you’ve been a fan of for like 10 minutes, comparatively speaking?
New love is often the best kind of love.

You can't finish last in baseball at Texas. That's a level of ineptitude that should never happen.

@Texas Diesel

Just to follow up on your question. I think over the years the order of the top three sports loves of my life has always kind of been semi-fluid. The Cowboys were always light years ahead at No.1, but the ebb and flow of No.2 and No.3 would sometimes differ based on the time and my life and the success of the team. For instance, it was much easier for the Phillies to be my No.2 in 2008 and the Sixers in 2001 for about a million reasons, including that the other team was almost certainly a disaster.

All things being equal, the Phillies the lifelong No.2 sports love of my life... Sixers third.

Now let's talk about the current state of each team and where they stand.

Phillies - The No.2 sports heartbreak of my life might have been the 2010 and 2011 Phillies not winning the World Series. The 2011 ending was so cruel that it took me years to recover, especially since the team absolutely crumbled apart in all the worst kinds of ways. I've never been able to completely recover if I'm being honest. I'm still checking live box scores and trying to watch as many games as I can, but there is an emptiness that hasn't yet been filled.

76ers - The team of my early teenage years because of my obsession with Charles Barkley. The moment they traded him to Phoenix, part of my sports soul died. Easily my favorite NBA team, but it's a hell of a thing to trade your sports idol when you're 14-15 years old. Throughout the nearly 30 years that has followed, they've still been my team, but they've been a fandom of labor for so much of that time.

Cowboys - Not only are they the runaway No.1 team, but they had a dynasty during my teenage years, which was the height of my fandom on every level. But, the last 25 years of Jerry World has taken a serious toll on my human spirit. I don't respect Jerry as a human being. I think the head coach is a joke. Some of the recent players make my skin absolutely crawl. With every passing year, what this team stands for on and off the field, makes it a little harder for me to love it unconditionally.

Liverpool - Obviously, I've absolutely fallen in love with soccer and that helps, but I weirdly have fallen head over heels with this team. It probably starts withe the fact that Jurgen Klopp is my favorite coach in the history of being a sports fan. There will be a day when he's no longer the coach, but while he is, I will drink up every damn second of it. He's Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys, but with even more personality, charisma and talent. Also, the tradition is something that I instantly connected with and fell in love with.

However, the players are where the sport is really connecting with me. It's awesome to be able to watch and love a team and also be able to love all of the players. While soccer stars are divas at times, this team of Liverpool stars just warms my heart. They make me feel good. They make me feel good that I support them. I never feel any second guessing with the love I have for them... it's pure... it's honest... it's clean.

I understand how you could not understand because I'm not sure I would have 10 years ago, but I would trade a Cowboys Super Bowl season right now if it meant that Liverpool could win the EPL title this weekend. I wouldn't even blink. I wouldn't even hesitate to make that deal.

Thanks for the well explained thoughts on the subject and it does help me understand. I can identify how the heartaches weigh into the conversation compared to something newer that hasn’t had that level of heartache.

There have been times in my life when I was more relieved in wins than celebrating them as I should. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to enjoy the good moments better than I ever have, and to not allow the bad moments affect me nearly as much as they used to.

I totally get it and thanks again.

Thanks for the well explained thoughts on the subject and it does help me understand. I can identify how the heartaches weigh into the conversation compared to something newer that hasn’t had that level of heartache.

There have been times in my life when I was more relieved in wins than celebrating them as I should. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to enjoy the good moments better than I ever have, and to not allow the bad moments affect me nearly as much as they used to.

I totally get it and thanks again.

I remember feeling this exact way for almost the whole '05 season and much of the '09 season for Texas. Each game was almost just one to endure as opposed to be excited about.

For many reasons, even though the end wasn't as "good," I enjoyed the (whole) '08 season more.

Reactions: Texas Diesel
I remember feeling this exact way for almost the whole '05 season and much of the '09 season for Texas. Each game was almost just one to endure as opposed to be excited about.

For many reasons, even though the end wasn't as "good," I enjoyed the (whole) '08 season more.
2005 was storybook IMO.

2009 was nothing but anxiety-filled.

We can thank the Ags for making it open season for SEC teams in Texas. The foolishness of their leaders over time is astounding.

The problem with the baseball team is obvious. As a group, they cannot hit at an acceptable level likely to result in wins on a consistent basis. They have very little power and hit for low percentages across the board. Their fielding is not very good. The pitching, while far from where they need to be, has been good enough to win most games if they got offensive support and reduced bonehead fielding plays. In short, Pierce is putting a team on the field that cannot play the game at an acceptable level. That is on him. He brought these guys in and they are not good enough to win consistently, even against Texas State, Kansas and Rio Grande Valley. A real low point for Texas baseball. I think we have seen all we need to see from Pierce, but I am sure he will be back next year.

We can thank the Ags for making it open season for SEC teams in Texas. The foolishness of their leaders over time is astounding.

The problem with the baseball team is obvious. As a group, they cannot hit at an acceptable level likely to result in wins on a consistent basis. They have very little power and hit for low percentages across the board. Their fielding is not very good. The pitching, while far from where they need to be, has been good enough to win most games if they got offensive support and reduced bonehead fielding plays. In short, Pierce is putting a team on the field that cannot play the game at an acceptable level. That is on him. He brought these guys in and they are not good enough to win consistently, even against Texas State, Kansas and Rio Grande Valley. A real low point for Texas baseball. I think we have seen all we need to see from Pierce, but I am sure he will be back next year.
This team is probably 5-8 games over .500 and headed for the post-season if the bullpen hadn't been trash for most of the season.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

Sixty-three days ago, I wrote the following words in this column.

"I'll be completely honest that I've been cautious with this team, mostly because everyone has seemed to think this group might be a year away and in a bit of a rebuild mode, so my expectations have been tempered, especially going into this weekend against LSU.

“But, goodness gracious, the Longhorns did the damn thing this weekend. First, they kicked the visitors in the teeth in the opening two games by running off a combined 16-5 butt-kicking over the course of the first 18 innings in the series. Then, they truly stunted on the Tigers in the series-finale, roaring back from a late 6-3 deficit and winning with a walk-off hit in the bottom of the ninth.

“While no one should get carried away 12 games into the season, I think it's safe to say the bar for what this team might be reasonably capable of this season has been lifted. It feels like everything is on the table for this team. This weekend is proof of that. We now know what this team is capable of, even when rough patches arrive.

“This group has grabbed our attention."

Sixty-three days later... WHAT. THE. HELL. HAPPENED?!?!?!

giphy.gif

Sadly, if we're being honest, we've seen these types of things happen in another sports fairly recently around here. The 2010 football team started the season 3-0 and was 4-2 following a win at No. 6 Nebraska before losing five of its final six games. Six months earlier in 2010, the basketball team went from being ranked No.1 in the nation with a perfect 17-0 record to losing 10 of its last 17 games and getting dumped in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. In fact, the art of starting fast and flaming out before March kind of became a staple of the Rick Barnes Era at the end of his tenure.

While we've seen all of this first-hand and up-close before, what's unique about this year's baseball team is that unlike those previous examples cited, the thing that really stood out about this team early in the season wasn't its talent, it was its grit and determination. It refused to lose games. It out-willed teams at times early in the season.

Baseball seasons are long and at times full of both ups and downs, but this team's seemingly strong set of intangibles is one of the reasons I wrote the line, "We now know what this team is capable of, even when rough patches arrive."

My thinking was that when this squad might find itself on the bad end of a three-game series, it would always be able to lean on that weekend against LSU when it came to maintaining confidence and an identity.

Boy, was I wrong.

It begs asking ... why was I wrong? What's happened in the last two months that has stripped this team of confidence, it's performance and its fight, so much so that that it is on the verge of finishing dead-last in the Big 12 and on the outside looking in with regards to post-season baseball? Does David Pierce even know? If not, what does that mean and what will keep it from ever happening again? What does this mean for the 2020 Longhorns? Does all of this put Pierce on a bit of a hot seat going into 2020?

Honestly, I don't know if I have the first clue about the answers to any of those questions, including the last one, but I do know this - in those recent examples from 2010 with Mack Brown and Rick Barnes, neither program ever truly recovered after those all-time collapses. Brown was gone a few seasons later and the basketball program hasn't returned to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament to this day. While we can chalk this up as a mulligan of sorts, we can't allow ourselves to be naive in thinking this disaster won't linger.

History around these parts has told us that.

The bottom line is that when this season concludes, this program is going to need the best 12 months of Pierce's coaching life to insure that what's happened in the last 63 days is ... never ... ever ... repeated and a level of excellence is restored.

No. 2 - Just to be clear ...

Never before in the 25+ years I've been covering Texas high school football recruiting have I ever witnessed such intense hand-to-hand combat at the top of the recruiting mountain as we're currently watching in the 2020 recruiting cycle.

Texas just signed a top-five class according to Rivals. So did Oklahoma. A&M's class was ranked No. 6. The schools that finished No. 1 (Georgia), No. 2 (Alabama) and No. 3 (LSU) are all in this year's battle royal and currently have commitments from top 10 prospects from the Lone Star State according to the LSR top 100.

Basically, the top six schools in last year's recruiting cycle are all competing in Texas at a level that has never existed before and I'm not sure enough people are fully aware of the competitiveness that exists. It's fairly rare to have Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M all riding waves of momentum at the same exact time, but to have the three biggest Southeast powerhouses of them all making incredible inroads as well ...

It's a lot. I thought I would just remind everyone of it.

No. 3 - Collin Johnson's importance to the Texas program ...

I can't imagine that the lack of success in last week's NFL Draft will result in a big problem for the Texas football program in recruiting over the next 12 months, but I absolutely expect the likes of Texas A&M and Alabama (among others) to attempt to use those down draft numbers in an effort to pollute Tom Herman's effort with the best prospects on his recruiting board.

Obviously, Herman can counter those portraits of his program's inability to develop more NFL talent by pointing out all of the success over the years that his staff has had in producing that kind of high-end talent, but because NFL development is so important for the elite of the elite, it's absolutely something that will pop up.

While I think we all feel like high-level NFL talent is on the way in the form of the youngest players in the program, it sure would do recruiting a favor if we're not having this same conversation when the 2020 Draft rolls around.

As it stands, Collin Johnson is the highest-rated NFL prospect in the program, with many draft analysts regarding him as a future first round pick. Personally, I'm not so sure that's going to happen, but it's certainly possible if he tests well and posts a monster senior season in the process.

If you forced my hand at a prediction today, I'd probably slot him in the top 2-3 rounds, along with Brandon Jones ... and then it gets pretty dicey. It's impossible at this stage to know what to make of a guy Jeff McCulloch or Malcolm Roach because neither guy would have been drafted this year if he had come out following the 2018 season. Parker Braun somewhat reminds me of Kasey Studdard, which means that he might be a late-round projection as well.

Outside of that, I'm not sure how much meat is on that bone, which has me returning back to Johnson. It would really help the program if it can have a first-day headline of producing its first top-round receiver since Roy Williams turned pro following the 2003 season. That's the kind of headline that can snuff out a growing thorn of an NFL development question that other schools might want to make.

Without it, I wonder if that thorn might stick Herman's finger a couple of times before those kids from the 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes can unleash a flurry of future high-round picks.

Again, it's not a big thing at all in my mind, but in a world where it’s the margins in recruiting that determine wins and losses is so small, it is a thing.

No. 4 - Great Tweet in UT football history?

I don't want to be a victim of the moment, but it is 100-percent in the conversation.

https://twitter.com/tracimajors/status/1125124593436504064?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1125124593436504064&ref_url=https://texas.forums.rivals.com/threads/this-may-be-the-tweet-of-the-day.421429/

No. 5 - Kevin Durant's all-time greatness ...

Twelve months ago, SLAM Magazine released its Top 100 NBA players of all-time.

Kevin Durant was listed at No. 13.

One spot ahead of Moses Malone. Two spots ahead of Dr. J.

One spot behind Hakeem Olajuwon. Two spots behind Oscar Robertson.

The magazine said, "KD hasn’t even hit his 30s yet, and his résumé already makes him a lock for the Hall of Fame. He was a four-time scoring champ even before he joined the modern day dynasty that is the Golden State Warriors, where he added the hardware that ought to cement his place among the greats to ever play the game."

As Durant's Golden State Warriors looked to take a 3-1 lead over Houston on Monday night in a series that might as well be the NBA Finals, we've reached a point when Durant seems universally positioned by both media and the basketball world as the best player on the planet, even ahead of LeBron James.

He's become THAT dude, which means everything he does moving forward as a basketball player is absolutely connected to his lasting legacy as an all-time great. Since the list was made, Durant has added another championship ring and Finals MVP to his resume.

Guess who is No.10 on SLAM's list?

None other than Larry Bird. You can make a case that if Durant wins his third straight title and Finals MVP in the next six weeks, he'll have done enough to move himself ahead of Bird at the age of 30 as the second-best small forward in the history of the sport.

This isn't hype. This isn't hyperbole. This is the backdrop to everything that he does for the rest of this season. This is where we are.

No. 6 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: Texas will improve on last year’s records with no more than two losses?

(Sell) Texas might play as many as 14 games next season, assuming it makes the Big 12 Championship game, which means that I think Texas could very well have an improved season, but perhaps it ends with more than two losses.

BUY or SELL: The baseball team intentionally sucked to relieve pressure off of Shaka and all teams to win ‘Ships in 2019/20 to become the year of the Longhorn?

(Buy) I'm all for telling yourself whatever you need to tell yourself so that you can put your head on a pillow ever night and rest comfortably. Go with it. It makes as much sense as anything else.

BUY or SELL: Neither Pierce nor Shaka are coaching at a Texas in '21-'22?

(Buy) You ask, I answer.

BUY or SELL: This weekend seals the deal, in the near future, with Broughton and Lindberg?

(Buy) It will almost certainly take some more time to make it official, but I think both of those kids are future Longhorn commitments.

BUY or SELL: Hudson Card will be the best HS QB prospect we’ve signed in the past decade?

(Buy) I think he'll end up being the highest-rated, which is essentially what you're asking, I believe.

BUY or SELL: If Texas doesn't win the conference this year, the season is a failure?

(Buy) I believe that about every single year. That's the bar.

BUY or SELL: This is the year we beat TCU in Ft. Worth?

(Buy) Good question. It better be.

BUY or SELL: Texas has the best secondary in college football?

(Sell) Not yet, but I can easily see that in 2020.

BUY or SELL: Rockets in six?

(Sell) While that prediction isn't yet dead, I made it with the belief that the Rockets would steal game one.

No. 7 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Ahem ... Oh, Roger... where are you?

... Steph Curry is an all-time great point guard in the history of the NBA, but he's currently in a massive shooting slump, he's missing lay-ups and he's a defensive problem the Warriors can't hide, despite all of their efforts to do so. I'm fascinated to see how he responds to the first real biting piece of personal criticism as a player he's ever really dealt with. At some point, Mount Steph is going to erupt, right?

... Ten years ago this month, P.J. Tucker was playing in the Ukrainian Superleague (no space between the words ... I checked) and now he's the heart and soul of a team capable of winning an NBA title. I just love watching him play basketball.

... The Sixers missed a big opportunity on Sunday and I can't help but wonder if they'll have another chance to choke out the Raptors like they had on Sunday.

... Once upon a time I might have paid money to see a Cowboy Cerrone/Conor McGregor fight, but not now. Not in 2019.

... I promise to the sporting gods that I will not ask for any favors for the rest of the year ... hell the next few years ... if they can just see to Man City dropping points on Monday night against Leicester City.

... This 2019 Liverpool team is my favorite pro sports team of all-time. To say I am all-in with this team is a massive understatement. YNWA.

No. 8 - Game of Thrones... Season Eight, Episode Four (Two to go)

You guys know the drill,.

***** SPOILER ALERT ******

Eight big thoughts on the episode...

1. Episode MVP: Cersei

While everyone else has been fighting the good fight, the literal Queen B has been shacking up with her pirate lover, creating a plan to take out another dragon (mission accomplished) and generally proving that YOLO lives on in the seven kingdoms. It had been a minute since we had seen her, but it didn't take long for her to remind us all that she's the Ric Flair of this show... the dirtiest player in the game. I just can't believe they keep giving her chances to prove that she doesn't GAF about anything or anyone.

If they didn't know that before, they know now that Missandei's head is rolling around outside of the castle. I'm just not sure how they thought that would go.

2. Dany is pretty much the picture of a person losing her damn mind. First, Jorah does. Then she sees folks calling Jon a king. Then a dragon dies. Then her best friend. She is going to burn King's Landing to the ground and I'm not sure there's anything that's going to stop her.

3. Grey Worm didn't nite it in the last episode, but deep down we always knew that he wasn't getting the fantasy ending with Missandei. I'm afraid that he's going to die in a blaze of hatred and if there's any justice in this world, he'll get to Evil Mountain before The Hound does, but I don't see any way in hell he defeats Evil Mountain.

4. Jamie gave Briennne the night of her night and then left $20 on the night stand and bolted. I'm not sure how it ends for Briennne, but she sure as hell isn't going to sit around and wallow in her depression for the next two weeks.

5. Gendry didn't handle his business with Arya like Jamie handled his business with Briennne. According to Cersei, Gendry is a knock off the old block.

6. I don't blame Bronn at all for being tired of the Lannister's shit.

7. The Hound and Arya are back again. Folks are about to die.

8. PredictionL The next episode will be the best episode in the history of the show.

***** END OF SPOILER ALERT ******

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Oral History articles...

I'm a big fan of oral history articles. In fact, I'm working on making a couple of UT-themed oral history articles a real thing during this off-season.

With that being said, I thought it would make for an interesting section this week. Enjoy the bonus reading.

p.s. Here's hoping you guys have some reading recommendations of your own.

10. Urban Cowboy
9. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe movie
8i. The Malice at the Palace
7. Friday
6. The Last Dragon
5. Cheers
4. NBA Jams
3. The Wire: Game Day
2. Nirvana's MTV Unplugged Special
1. The Day Prince's Guitar Wept Loudest

No. 10 – And Finally ...

I know it already made its way to the site on Sunday via @Suchomel, but this really is the note we should leave this weekend on. Onions!

https://texas.forums.rivals.com/threads/this-is-awesome.421418/
Prince at the rock+roll HOF was one of the coolest things I ever saw.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

Sixty-three days ago, I wrote the following words in this column.

"I'll be completely honest that I've been cautious with this team, mostly because everyone has seemed to think this group might be a year away and in a bit of a rebuild mode, so my expectations have been tempered, especially going into this weekend against LSU.

“But, goodness gracious, the Longhorns did the damn thing this weekend. First, they kicked the visitors in the teeth in the opening two games by running off a combined 16-5 butt-kicking over the course of the first 18 innings in the series. Then, they truly stunted on the Tigers in the series-finale, roaring back from a late 6-3 deficit and winning with a walk-off hit in the bottom of the ninth.

“While no one should get carried away 12 games into the season, I think it's safe to say the bar for what this team might be reasonably capable of this season has been lifted. It feels like everything is on the table for this team. This weekend is proof of that. We now know what this team is capable of, even when rough patches arrive.

“This group has grabbed our attention."

Sixty-three days later... WHAT. THE. HELL. HAPPENED?!?!?!

giphy.gif

Sadly, if we're being honest, we've seen these types of things happen in another sports fairly recently around here. The 2010 football team started the season 3-0 and was 4-2 following a win at No. 6 Nebraska before losing five of its final six games. Six months earlier in 2010, the basketball team went from being ranked No.1 in the nation with a perfect 17-0 record to losing 10 of its last 17 games and getting dumped in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. In fact, the art of starting fast and flaming out before March kind of became a staple of the Rick Barnes Era at the end of his tenure.

While we've seen all of this first-hand and up-close before, what's unique about this year's baseball team is that unlike those previous examples cited, the thing that really stood out about this team early in the season wasn't its talent, it was its grit and determination. It refused to lose games. It out-willed teams at times early in the season.

Baseball seasons are long and at times full of both ups and downs, but this team's seemingly strong set of intangibles is one of the reasons I wrote the line, "We now know what this team is capable of, even when rough patches arrive."

My thinking was that when this squad might find itself on the bad end of a three-game series, it would always be able to lean on that weekend against LSU when it came to maintaining confidence and an identity.

Boy, was I wrong.

It begs asking ... why was I wrong? What's happened in the last two months that has stripped this team of confidence, it's performance and its fight, so much so that that it is on the verge of finishing dead-last in the Big 12 and on the outside looking in with regards to post-season baseball? Does David Pierce even know? If not, what does that mean and what will keep it from ever happening again? What does this mean for the 2020 Longhorns? Does all of this put Pierce on a bit of a hot seat going into 2020?

Honestly, I don't know if I have the first clue about the answers to any of those questions, including the last one, but I do know this - in those recent examples from 2010 with Mack Brown and Rick Barnes, neither program ever truly recovered after those all-time collapses. Brown was gone a few seasons later and the basketball program hasn't returned to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament to this day. While we can chalk this up as a mulligan of sorts, we can't allow ourselves to be naive in thinking this disaster won't linger.

History around these parts has told us that.

The bottom line is that when this season concludes, this program is going to need the best 12 months of Pierce's coaching life to insure that what's happened in the last 63 days is ... never ... ever ... repeated and a level of excellence is restored.

No. 2 - Just to be clear ...

Never before in the 25+ years I've been covering Texas high school football recruiting have I ever witnessed such intense hand-to-hand combat at the top of the recruiting mountain as we're currently watching in the 2020 recruiting cycle.

Texas just signed a top-five class according to Rivals. So did Oklahoma. A&M's class was ranked No. 6. The schools that finished No. 1 (Georgia), No. 2 (Alabama) and No. 3 (LSU) are all in this year's battle royal and currently have commitments from top 10 prospects from the Lone Star State according to the LSR top 100.

Basically, the top six schools in last year's recruiting cycle are all competing in Texas at a level that has never existed before and I'm not sure enough people are fully aware of the competitiveness that exists. It's fairly rare to have Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M all riding waves of momentum at the same exact time, but to have the three biggest Southeast powerhouses of them all making incredible inroads as well ...

No. 3 - Collin Johnson's importance to the Texas program ...

I can't imagine that the lack of success in last week's NFL Draft will result in a big problem for the Texas football program in recruiting over the next 12 months, but I absolutely expect the likes of Texas A&M and Alabama (among others) to attempt to use those down draft numbers in an effort to pollute Tom Herman's effort with the best prospects on his recruiting board.

Obviously, Herman can counter those portraits of his program's inability to develop more NFL talent by pointing out all of the success over the years that his staff has had in producing that kind of high-end talent, but because NFL development is so important for the elite of the elite, it's absolutely something that will pop up.

While I think we all feel like high-level NFL talent is on the way in the form of the youngest players in the program, it sure would do recruiting a favor if we're not having this same conversation when the 2020 Draft rolls around.

As it stands, Collin Johnson is the highest-rated NFL prospect in the program, with many draft analysts regarding him as a future first round pick. Personally, I'm not so sure that's going to happen, but it's certainly possible if he tests well and posts a monster senior season in the process.

If you forced my hand at a prediction today, I'd probably slot him in the top 2-3 rounds, along with Brandon Jones ... and then it gets pretty dicey. It's impossible at this stage to know what to make of a guy Jeff McCulloch or Malcolm Roach because neither guy would have been drafted this year if he had come out following the 2018 season. Parker Braun somewhat reminds me of Kasey Studdard, which means that he might be a late-round projection as well.

Outside of that, I'm not sure how much meat is on that bone, which has me returning back to Johnson. It would really help the program if it can have a first-day headline of producing its first top-round receiver since Roy Williams turned pro following the 2003 season. That's the kind of headline that can snuff out a growing thorn of an NFL development question that other schools might want to make.

Without it, I wonder if that thorn might stick Herman's finger a couple of times before those kids from the 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes can unleash a flurry of future high-round picks.

Again, it's not a big thing at all in my mind, but in a world where it’s the margins in recruiting that determine wins and losses is so small, it is a thing.

No. 4 - Great Tweet in UT football history?

I don't want to be a victim of the moment, but it is 100-percent in the conversation.

https://twitter.com/tracimajors/status/1125124593436504064?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1125124593436504064&ref_url=https://texas.forums.rivals.com/threads/this-may-be-the-tweet-of-the-day.421429/

No. 5 - Kevin Durant's all-time greatness ...

Twelve months ago, SLAM Magazine released its Top 100 NBA players of all-time.

Kevin Durant was listed at No. 13.

One spot ahead of Moses Malone. Two spots ahead of Dr. J.

One spot behind Hakeem Olajuwon. Two spots behind Oscar Robertson.

The magazine said, "KD hasn’t even hit his 30s yet, and his résumé already makes him a lock for the Hall of Fame. He was a four-time scoring champ even before he joined the modern day dynasty that is the Golden State Warriors, where he added the hardware that ought to cement his place among the greats to ever play the game."

As Durant's Golden State Warriors looked to take a 3-1 lead over Houston on Monday night in a series that might as well be the NBA Finals, we've reached a point when Durant seems universally positioned by both media and the basketball world as the best player on the planet, even ahead of LeBron James.

He's become THAT dude, which means everything he does moving forward as a basketball player is absolutely connected to his lasting legacy as an all-time great. Since the list was made, Durant has added another championship ring and Finals MVP to his resume.

Guess who is No.10 on SLAM's list?

None other than Larry Bird. You can make a case that if Durant wins his third straight title and Finals MVP in the next six weeks, he'll have done enough to move himself ahead of Bird at the age of 30 as the second-best small forward in the history of the sport.

This isn't hype. This isn't hyperbole. This is the backdrop to everything that he does for the rest of this season. This is where we are.

No. 6 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: Texas will improve on last year’s records with no more than two losses?

(Sell) Texas might play as many as 14 games next season, assuming it makes the Big 12 Championship game, which means that I think Texas could very well have an improved season, but perhaps it ends with more than two losses.

BUY or SELL: The baseball team intentionally sucked to relieve pressure off of Shaka and all teams to win ‘Ships in 2019/20 to become the year of the Longhorn?

(Buy) I'm all for telling yourself whatever you need to tell yourself so that you can put your head on a pillow ever night and rest comfortably. Go with it. It makes as much sense as anything else.

(Buy) You ask, I answer.

BUY or SELL: This weekend seals the deal, in the near future, with Broughton and Lindberg?

(Buy) It will almost certainly take some more time to make it official, but I think both of those kids are future Longhorn commitments.

BUY or SELL: Hudson Card will be the best HS QB prospect we’ve signed in the past decade?

(Buy) I think he'll end up being the highest-rated, which is essentially what you're asking, I believe.

BUY or SELL: If Texas doesn't win the conference this year, the season is a failure?

(Buy) I believe that about every single year. That's the bar.

BUY or SELL: This is the year we beat TCU in Ft. Worth?

(Buy) Good question. It better be.

BUY or SELL: Texas has the best secondary in college football?

(Sell) Not yet, but I can easily see that in 2020.

BUY or SELL: Rockets in six?

(Sell) While that prediction isn't yet dead, I made it with the belief that the Rockets would steal game one.

No. 7 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Ahem ... Oh, Roger... where are you?

... Steph Curry is an all-time great point guard in the history of the NBA, but he's currently in a massive shooting slump, he's missing lay-ups and he's a defensive problem the Warriors can't hide, despite all of their efforts to do so. I'm fascinated to see how he responds to the first real biting piece of personal criticism as a player he's ever really dealt with. At some point, Mount Steph is going to erupt, right?

... Ten years ago this month, P.J. Tucker was playing in the Ukrainian Superleague (no space between the words ... I checked) and now he's the heart and soul of a team capable of winning an NBA title. I just love watching him play basketball.

... The Sixers missed a big opportunity on Sunday and I can't help but wonder if they'll have another chance to choke out the Raptors like they had on Sunday.

... Once upon a time I might have paid money to see a Cowboy Cerrone/Conor McGregor fight, but not now. Not in 2019.

... I promise to the sporting gods that I will not ask for any favors for the rest of the year ... hell the next few years ... if they can just see to Man City dropping points on Monday night against Leicester City.

... This 2019 Liverpool team is my favorite pro sports team of all-time. To say I am all-in with this team is a massive understatement. YNWA.

No. 8 - Game of Thrones... Season Eight, Episode Four (Two to go)

You guys know the drill,.

Eight big thoughts on the episode...

1. Episode MVP: Cersei

While everyone else has been fighting the good fight, the literal Queen B has been shacking up with her pirate lover, creating a plan to take out another dragon (mission accomplished) and generally proving that YOLO lives on in the seven kingdoms. It had been a minute since we had seen her, but it didn't take long for her to remind us all that she's the Ric Flair of this show... the dirtiest player in the game. I just can't believe they keep giving her chances to prove that she doesn't GAF about anything or anyone.

If they didn't know that before, they know now that Missandei's head is rolling around outside of the castle. I'm just not sure how they thought that would go.

2. Dany is pretty much the picture of a person losing her damn mind. First, Jorah does. Then she sees folks calling Jon a king. Then a dragon dies. Then her best friend. She is going to burn King's Landing to the ground and I'm not sure there's anything that's going to stop her.

3. Grey Worm didn't nite it in the last episode, but deep down we always knew that he wasn't getting the fantasy ending with Missandei. I'm afraid that he's going to die in a blaze of hatred and if there's any justice in this world, he'll get to Evil Mountain before The Hound does, but I don't see any way in hell he defeats Evil Mountain.

4. Jamie gave Briennne the night of her night and then left $20 on the night stand and bolted. I'm not sure how it ends for Briennne, but she sure as hell isn't going to sit around and wallow in her depression for the next two weeks.

5. Gendry didn't handle his business with Arya like Jamie handled his business with Briennne. According to Cersei, Gendry is a knock off the old block.

6. I don't blame Bronn at all for being tired of the Lannister's shit.

7. The Hound and Arya are back again. Folks are about to die.

8. PredictionL The next episode will be the best episode in the history of the show.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Oral History articles...

I'm a big fan of oral history articles. In fact, I'm working on making a couple of UT-themed oral history articles a real thing during this off-season.

With that being said, I thought it would make for an interesting section this week. Enjoy the bonus reading.

p.s. Here's hoping you guys have some reading recommendations of your own.

10. Urban Cowboy
9. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe movie
8i. The Malice at the Palace
7. Friday
6. The Last Dragon
5. Cheers
4. NBA Jams
3. The Wire: Game Day
2. Nirvana's MTV Unplugged Special
1. The Day Prince's Guitar Wept Loudest

No. 10 – And Finally ...

I know it already made its way to the site on Sunday via @Suchomel, but this really is the note we should leave this weekend on. Onions!

https://texas.forums.rivals.com/threads/this-is-awesome.421418/
I was playing golf in a UT charity event in 2006 and Rick Barnes played a few holes with our group. I asked him how the team was going to be the next year and he said “i’ve got a guy coming in who is really really special. In fact, he might be the best player I ever coach”. I said “Rick, Aldridge went 2nd in the draft and Gibson went like 40th or so, and Durant hasn’t played in a single college game yet”? His response: “oh, Durant is WAY better than those guys”.......

Reactions: txfight
It's a good thing they made last year's run...

Last year's run is what is expected at Texas for the baseball program. So Pierce has met expectations once and has been a failure twice. Not a great three years.

You care enough about a sport you don’t care about to post about it? Cool.
I want to like it. I used to get all fired up for the Derby. But similar to the one and dones in college basketball, I find it hard to build any allegiance because as quickly as you hear about a horse, they're gone. So the only real excitement (for me) comes when someone threatens to win the triple crown.

And I really do hate the Mint Julep.

Reactions: Texas Diesel

(Buy) You ask, I answer.

If SS has done as well in the post-season as Pierce has ‘til now, Smart wouldn't be on the hot seat that he is.

SLAM has Larry Bird # 10. Phuleeeze. Get real. He's # 5, if not higher. Him & Magic were neck & neck as to who was better throughout their college & pro careers.
He didn't end up on the same level as Magic.

Separation occurred. Very few people have Larry Bird as a Top 5 all-time player.

He didn't end up on the same level as Magic.

Separation occurred. Very few people have Larry Bird as a Top 5 all-time player.

Yeah the top 5 tier, regardless of order is some form of Michael, Wilt, Lebron, Magic and Kareem.

The next tier is Bird, Russell, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe.

well, that's certainly part of it.
No doubt losing Clemens was huge. No one in this group has even come close to being "the man". In baseball "the man" is like the quarterback in football. Without one you're nothing.

I also think loosing your shortstop (and probably best hitter) plus your best catcher were deal killers. Our catching is terrible. They don't get strikes and they just love running to backstop to pick up balls (past balls that is). I am not exonerating the pitchers, but a top notch catcher can hide a lot of pitching sins.

I really think that the spotlight after their big LSU weekend was just too bright. Instead of increasing confidence, it increased expectations. They have played tight and tighter ever since. The pucker factor.

The positive news is that we are now fully vested in recruiting the greater Houston area......home of the best HS baseball talent in the US. Now if we can just find the Metroplex on GoogleMaps, we will be fine.

Durant is a hell of a player but right now he is not even the best player in the 2019 playoffs. Kawhi Leonard is on another level above everybody right now. Will be interesting to see where he lands next season.

Funny you didn't mention Clemson, which might as well just call their recruiting class the 5 star hotel. They may recruit the greatest class in the history of any class in the recruiting rankings era this cycle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT