ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (What can we expect from the freshmen DTs?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everybody down on Ezekiel Elliot? Does he need to be a once in generation talent? No. He just needs to be as good as Murray was for the Cowboys. I'd be fine with that selection. If Bosa is Greg Ellis? Boring. Not worthy of #4 Does Jalen Ramsey make the Cowboys Defense turnaround next season? I doubt it. Maybe Bosa is Jarrett Allen. I don't know.

Trade back? There was a report earlier that demand for the #3 & #4 picks are very stale. Dallas is locked in at the pick unfortunately. What player gives them the best change to change the fortunes of next season?

Good research and presentation indeed. Just glad we got enough horses coming in so that there are multiple players with an opportunity to prove they can play. Clearly our DBs and LBs will have to carry the D. At least we know they are sassy.

OL? I like our five. Stay healthy please.

Reactions: bozans
I suspect we will get a lot of production from our DT's just out of necessity. It a good thing that they are talented to boot.

We stole Shack from Kansas City? Be better @Ketchum. ;)
VWZtLq4PICj5AfNqNyE68zRwVcpU8fBeHrIxkAZe_nglUy33HKmUbEoJoUcauzHAvEUbOO6ZFMuLi4t9g2bLBJ-329W_NgQq_l_qQtgdz8KL42n8og

I'm a bit contrarian on Prince. I couldn't stand the Purple Rain thing. I cringed every time When Doves Cry came on the radio - which was about every 10 minutes. The whole thing got so overdone I got to where I didn't even give his future music much if a chance.

But I thought the entire 1999 album was fantastic. Even before his death I never went too long without listening to it.
Even the gods can't play the opening riff of When Doves Cry.

Its obvious the frosh DT have to play snaps to get stats. Your analysis is great but over the years we have not seen many snaps for freshman DT here and I suspect that is the same with other schools who sign them.due to existing depth. I really believe we will get much better production this year if they are given the snaps. Rod Wright is an excellent example of talent getting opportunity. I bet there are at least 2 of our recruits with his talent.
raw

@Ketchum - In regrards to Freshman D-Tackles making an impact, I seem to recall a discussion that the limiting factor for youngsters seeing playing time is usually size and a full depth chart in front of them. It appears this year's crop has some size, and the full depth chart is not an issue either, so we do have cause for hope, correct?

I think Wilbon surprises people. In fact, I think he's the first freshmen DT on the field against ND.
A three-star defensive tackle has never had a first year impact in the 20_ years I've covered the team.

Not saying you're going to be wrong, just acknowledging the math.

The statistics on DT are misleading. How many of the 22 recruits or the recruits that Texas has brought in have entered a situation like the present situation in Austin? We are in the worst situation in many years at DT and the need and opportunity is there. Do you think Payne would not have been a starter at Bama and earned All SEC honors if they were in the situation that we are in presently!

Let's look at the 4*/5* DT commits since Frank Okam:

Roy MIller
Dre Jones
Jarvis Humphrey
Kheeston Randall
Calvin Howell
Derek Johnson
Ashton Dorsey
Taylor Bible
Quincy Russell
Desmond Jackson
Malcom Brown

The only ones on the list to last at Texas are Miller, Randall, Jackson and Brown. Others didn't qualify, were arrested, had health issues before ever getting to campus or just turned out to be major disappointments. We never expected any, with the exception of Malcom Brown, to get major playing time or be needed as a true freshman. Most of the DT play during the later Mack Brown years were players that grew into the position. I trust Strong's ability to recognize and develop talent and fully expect he will be able to get 1-2 of the true freshmen to produce quality snaps. We don't necessarily need them to be starters as Boyette and Ford likely hold down those 2 positions and we may see more of a 3-3-5 or 3-4-4 defense to both make up for the lack of depth and play with the pass happy teams in the Big 12.

As much as Fitzgerald improved in one season, there may be room for him to work with Charles Omenihu and Cottrell while Hughes, Hagar and Fowler fight for snaps at Fox. This ignores the possibility that Robertson finally shows up at one of those positions.

While I am extremely concerned about the youth on the DL, I am far more concerned about the situation on the OL, especially after Alex's analysis of the OL play against the depleted list of players on DL in the Spring game. I am not expecting All American play up and down the DL, but I expect it will be more than adequate and will not be as big of a concern as other areas. In addition to the poor play on the OL, I fear a tremendous drop-off from Buechele to Swoopes or Heard.
The data is the data. Ignore the lessons from history at your own risk.

I will be surprised if all freshmen OL don't see the field. Redshirts may be preferable for some, but this is the make or break year for CS and company.

Wish we opened with Rice and UTEP.
You might be right.

Calling Prince the Mozart or Beethoven of our time is one of the least hyperbolic things you've ever said? That's pretty hyperbolic.

There's a huge, huge difference between those two composers and the talented musician that just died.
He wasn't a composer?

Why is everybody down on Ezekiel Elliot? Does he need to be a once in generation talent?
The value of running backs in the NFL is at an all-time low and you don't take a back at four unless he's Adrian Peterson.

Reactions: Bobby W
@Ketchum - In regrards to Freshman D-Tackles making an impact, I seem to recall a discussion that the limiting factor for youngsters seeing playing time is usually size and a full depth chart in front of them. It appears this year's crop has some size, and the full depth chart is not an issue either, so we do have cause for hope, correct?
I guess there's reason for hope, but when you look at the top 22 from last year, not all of them walked into positions where they couldn't get on the field. It's just easier said than done that a guy shows up and balls out at a truly high level.

Reactions: TX Bootman
I does if you're good.
Not really. Lot of those five stars that didn't make big impacts last year will be eventual NFL players. It just takes a little more time.

Very few A'Shawn Robinsons out there.

A three-star defensive tackle has never had a first year impact in the 20_ years I've covered the team.

Not saying you're going to be wrong, just acknowledging the math.

Charlie Strong three-star recruits>>>>Mack's three-stars.

I just think, based on the film that I've watched, Wilbon and Elliott are the two best equipped to take up space early. We don't need a DT to get TFL or sacks. That's too much to expect early on anyway. But we need big bodies to free up Malik and the crew to make tackles against the run. Wilbon looks prime for that, IMO.

Personally, I think DCG will prove to be the best DT of the bunch due to his ELITE first step.

Reactions: Faith Horn
Prince doesn't just hsppen. He was a one-of-a-kind talent who synthesized funk and rock, which hadn't found a following until him. As far as comparing him to Mozart or Beethoven, apples amd oranges. Classical music was so much more technically precise, but music evolves and Prince was an essential part of that evolution.

Not really. Lot of those five stars that didn't make big impacts last year will be eventual NFL players. It just takes a little more time.

Very few A'Shawn Robinsons out there.

I don't like that we are young on the d-line, but you don't have to be A'Shawn to be productive. A lot of these guys were highly recruited and already have the size to play right now. We'll find out pretty quick against ND.

Reactions: Ugalde
I'm surprised that Okafor is a possible starter. I guess that's more of an indictment against current roster than an endorsement of Okafor. I hope we can get through this mess on the line of scrimmage so we can start redshirting linemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT