ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (What can we expect from the freshmen DTs?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After Hours list needs a little P Control.
I heard that song too many times at Dallas Night Club and watched too many non-sexy women dance to that song to have a spot in my top 10 for it.

Not Prince's fault.

I'm fairly certain both Clapton and Mayer would get a good chuckle out of this post.

without question.

Please tell me, strictly from a musical theory and composition standpoint, why you guys think I am wrong. I mean, I just went back and re-looked at some of the tonal construction of Prince's songs just to make sure I hadn't missed something. We're talking about a comparison to Beethoven and Mozart here, not who is more popular or who you connect with better emotionally.

Whether you "like" a piece of music is completely subjective. But the intricacies and complexities of its composition are not.

His diversity of a musician is being completely lost on a few. If he only played the guitar, that would be one thing. He practically did everything great. If he wanted the drums to be played a certain way, he's just show the drummer how to do it.

Musicians marvel at his talent in their arenas.
And according to some close to him he was funnier than Eddie Murray or Chris Rock, could have made it as a standup comedian. Maybe Leonardo da Vinci is an even better comparison. A little Gershwin anyone?

Reactions: daveotr
Please tell me, strictly from a musical theory and composition standpoint, why you guys think I am wrong. I mean, I just went back and re-looked at some of the tonal construction of Prince's songs just to make sure I hadn't missed something. We're talking about a comparison to Beethoven and Mozart here, not who is more popular or who you connect with better emotionally.

Whether you "like" a piece of music is completely subjective. But the intricacies and complexities of its composition are not.
I'm not so much pointing to the tonal or structural complexities of this debate. I'm more in line with Ketch from a transcendent musical talent standpoint. Prince was proficient at over 20 instruments. Not passable but proficient and self taught on piano at a young age. He had a voracious appetite for playing and writing music. To me, thats where the comparison finds its footing.

He didn't say he was Beethoven or Mozart. He said, "of our time." If either of those, or other musical giants like Bach, Mendelssohn, Handel, etc., lived today, what do you think they would be creating?

Not sure, but it would be far better than anything that Prince did. Not knocking Prince or you guys who love him. To each his own. Slow down a bit though. Re read those names above. Real musical genius. Prince doesn't fit on a list with them and never will.

Reactions: sodiumacetate
I'm not so much pointing to the tonal or structural complexities of this debate. I'm more in line with Ketch from a transcendent musical talent standpoint. Prince was proficient at over 20 instruments. Not passable but proficient and self taught on piano at a young age. He had a voracious appetite for playing and writing music. To me, thats where the comparison finds its footing.
Ok. I understand some of that, but almost all of it could be said of any number of artists.

I do disagree with the transcendent part though, but that is subjective.

Not sure, but it would be far better than anything that Prince did. Not knocking Prince or you guys who love him. To each his own. Slow down a bit though. Re read those names above. Real musical genius. Prince doesn't fit on a list with them and never will.
It's pretty much impossible for our culture to slow down on these types of comparisons. Every great sports moment is instantly compared to other moments of the past and usually proclaimed better. In the internet age, everyone wants to be able to say they were witness to the greatest and the best.

As a culture, we just can't seem to be able to maintain a healthy perspective.

I lost a little of my youth when Prince passed away. The early 80's was a pretty good time for music. Prince with Purple Rain, Bruce Springsteen with Born in the USA, and ZZ Top with Eliminator.

I always enjoyed all types of music. On a Prince album, you would hear R&B (which is practically dead now), Pop, Funk, and Rock 'n' Roll. It was so rare then, and is dead now.

Prince is an icon and a music legend. Another one we lost way to soon.

Purple Rain to me is the best song.

It's not rocket science.

Was not a Prince fan. Actually couldn't stand him. But, my sister and her daughters are big fans. And, I do understand the impact of his loss.

That solo from Prince is incredible. He just lapped all of them about 10 times. You can tell when someone is on a different level when their peers who are supposed to be great just stare in awe.

Fantastic!!!!

He didn't say he was Beethoven or Mozart. He said, "of our time." If either of those, or other musical giants like Bach, Mendelssohn, Handel, etc., lived today, what do you think they would be creating?

You think people around the world will know his music in 200 years? Those two aren't generational talents; they'really still making a significant impact on music today. Just because Prince was one of the greats of his generation doesn't mean he is in the same category.

Having talent, and realizing all that potential to make an impact that transcends centuries of time, are two different things. I don't think Prince will achieve the latter, but I suppose time will tell.

He’s the hollowest champion in the history of the UFC

Or this guy...

brockpostfight_crop_exact.jpg

You think people around the world will know his music in 200 years? Those two aren't generational talents; they'really still making a significant impact on music today. Just because Prince was one of the greats of his generation doesn't mean he is in the same category.

Having talent, and realizing all that potential to make an impact that transcends centuries of time, are two different things. I don't think Prince will achieve the latter, but I suppose time will tell.
Do you know who Jelly Roll Morton is?

Do you know who Jelly Roll Morton is?

Nope, but I do now. I think I can see the dots you're trying to connect here, but please don't let me stop you.

Realize though that I understand there are many influential people who change the course of music, whether well known or not, and that I also believe that doesn't necessarily mean they have the same impact as the guys in your original analogy. I just think in this case the comparison is contrived.

Nope, but I do now. I think I can see the dots you're trying to connect here, but please don't let me stop you.
No offense, but if you don't know who Jelly Roll is, I don't know that you're in a position to tell anyone who and what will be remembered in 100 or 200 years.

Yes, Prince was a real musical genius.

Learn you some music brah

Reactions: Shepdogsw
Yes, Prince was a real musical genius.

Learn you some music brah

I get that people love the music of their youth/generation, but so much of the love is there because of the music connects us to a specific time and place. It brings back memories. That's why it is hard to argue with taste about stuff like this. It's like someone telling you that your mom's fried chicken really wasn't the best.

I'm pretty comfortable that Prince would not be on the Mt Rushmore of musical geniuses.

I get that people love the music of their youth/generation, but so much of the love is there because of the music connects us to a specific time and place. It brings back memories. That's why it is hard to argue with taste about stuff like this. It's like someone telling you that your mom's fried chicken really wasn't the best.

I'm pretty comfortable that Prince would not be on the Mt Rushmore of musical geniuses.
He already is.

Reactions: Ace Boogie!

I feel comfortable disagreeing. But I can acknowledge it's all about ones perspective.

No offense, but if you don't know who Jelly Roll is, I don't know that you're in a position to tell anyone who and what will be remembered in 100 or 200 years.

Fair enough. I don't think you're in a position to tell people things sometimes as well, but that seldom seems to stop you. I'll follow your lead I guess.

Reactions: DanielSucks
I'm with you on Devante Davis, the thing that stands out when I watch him is how natural he looks, he looked like he belonged from jump street. I think Hill will be very good too, but I think Davis will hear his name first in the 2018 draft

I'm with you on Devante Davis, the thing that stands out when I watch him is how natural he looks, he looked like he belonged from jump street. I think Hill will be very good too, but I think Davis will hear his name first in the 2018 draft
The Miami staff thought he was the best prospect in the city when he came out, per a source 18 months ago.

Reactions: drunk randoke
So in the History of music, Prince is one of the top 4 all time best? Is that what you are suggesting?
If we included only one person from the 20th century on the list, a strong case can be made he should be the one,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT