ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (What does Arch in 2024 mean for 2023?)

And what if Quinn has a great season in 22? Like he's everything we thought he could be (like all Big 12, and more) but feels he still needs another year of maturity & development under his belt to be NFL 1st round ready?
Hard to imagine Sark just turns the keys over to an inexperienced Arch who has yet to prove himself when Quinn is playing exactly like the QB he was projected to be.
And who's to say Arch just automatically hits the portal
because he has to wait another year longer than planned?
Manning is the starter in 2024.

If Quinn has a great year, he's likely gone to the NFL..
Agreed. Ewers is either gonna ball out next year and go pro, or he will continue to have mental mistakes that lead to Arch taking over in 2024 or even late 2023 like Cade did at Clemson…

Reactions: Ketchum
So, this admin is really no different that any other Texas admin. As long as the money keeps coming in, they don't care about wining at a high level.
How many times does the site have to tell you that. Winning has not been a priority for a good while now. The last 3 coaching hires should tell you that in spades although the jury is still out on Sark.

When the board thought Hurts was nowhere near good enough to play in the NFL and now he’s on the verge of playing his way to a $40mil/yr second contract then the argument is over. The massive Hurts sux crowd from 2018/2019 has been shown to be laughably wrong.
Big-time.

What happened to the young Aussie punter ? I know he choked early with both punting and as holder but did he go back to the land down under or still an option ?
He's still on campus for now, but he's completely not trusted.

He's still young. LOts of time to define himself.
This is a huge point. Part of what Ewers is currently deeling with is defined by how his season played out in terms of sequencing. His mid to late season struggles are being used to define his entire 2022 campaign. But, I'd argue his topsy turvy season was in some ways predictable by schedule and opponents. Are we over-selling his short comings, given the following?
  • Ewers played in 9 games
  • Starting with OSU - where he clearly was dealing with some sort of hand / finger issue and was not comfortable - he had a four game stretch where he did not throw the ball well at all.
  • Three of those four games were on the road and the fourth was against a playoff team who sacked him 5 times
  • In the other five games including the bookend at home against Baylor, Quinn threw the ball well and averaged a QB rating of 170.2, which in context is better than Williams or Duggan averaged in 2022
  • Our young OL was great at times but also was wildly inconsistent in pass protection, particularly down the stretch. Ewers was sacked 13 times in the last 3 games. Some of those sacks are on the QB, and he did not consistently handle the pressure well.
Point being, all the tools are there and you can see the upside. If he settles down and has a good bowl game, he can start to reshape the narrative again. Consistency, playing well on the road, and managing pressure are not surprising issues for a first year QB. Let's hope he works hard over the next 8 months and continues to improve.

Up to coaches to make oline better so qb gets more time. Seen too many Texas qb get blamed for struggling then getting hurt playing behind a bad line.
This was a better OL by far than Sam Ehlinger ever enjoyed, along with a better RB room and TE room. Quinn made a lot of poor decisions and a lot of poor passes, even when not under pressure.

I have high hopes for him, but he needs to buckle down and get better. That includes everything: fundamentals & footwork, throwing mechanics, understanding the offense better, getting on the same page as his receivers, going through his progressions, and reading defenses.

If what we saw this year was any indication of Ewers' ceiling, he is toast. I think he can be a lot better, but the first requirement for that to happen is that he (and everyone else) need to quit looking for excuses. His 2022 season has been pretty poor.

This was a better OL by far than Sam Ehlinger ever enjoyed, along with a better RB room and TE room. Quinn made a lot of poor decisions and a lot of poor passes, even when not under pressure.

The supporting cast was almost as good as you could hope for, which is why I think the coaches were so frustrated.

So many people don't understand the need for a "staring punter." At best, it'd disconcerting....but, if we're honest, it's unnerving. I mean.......

WTF is he looking at??

• Haha
Reactions: styrbjorn
So many people don't understand the need for a "staring punter." At best, it'd disconcerting....but, if we're honest, it's unnerving. I mean.......

WTF is he looking at??
tonight show elmo GIF

I love Bijan, but the hardest argument in today's college football, with the advent of the true dual threat QB, with the crazy amount of passing yards that get put up nowadays, is for the great RB. As great as Bijan is, he accounted for around 2k yards and 20 TDs and some change. Caleb Williams accounted for around 4,500 yards total offense, and 47 TDs. They're just not playing in the same stratosphere of production any longer, and there are no grind the clock rum teams that dominate because of the run game. Now, maybe we could have and should have this season, but we didn't. Bijan is unbelievable, but he won't win any POY awards that aren't specific to running backs. And that's a shame, because I do think he is the best overall player. But even I don't know how to articulate that....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT