ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (What's next?)

I just don't know that I believe that.
We'll find out soon enough. I know last year you had similar concerns about the defense and its lack of all-conference level players before the season, but it actually turned out to be a much improved unit, even without adding a bunch of high end talent from the portal. This group of coaches actually seem to know how to develop talent and get them to maximize their potential.

Reactions: Horn19
We'll find out soon enough. I know last year you had similar concerns about the defense and its lack of all-conference level players before the season, but it actually turned out to be a much improved unit, even without adding a bunch of high end talent from the portal. This group of coaches actually seem to know how to develop talent and get them to maximize their potential.

You make fair points. But, it's a D-MO to Gbenda level drop in a few cases.

@Ketchum

Not billed as a “True Crime” story, but the inspiration of the first season of True Detectives is crazy f’ed up.

We consistently get beat by teams with lesser talent. We need better talent to win in the SEC, but we’ve had good enough talent to win the Big 12 going back to Herman years.

We’ve had a culture issue which now seems to be getting fixed. But I don’t think we’ve fixed the coaching issue.

Who’s fixing the culture issue if it’s not the coaches?

I don't know. An 8.5 seems pretty high to me in the current state.

Well I mean lets just think about things logically

The team that was so committed to Terry hasn't translated into him retaining a lot of the top talent that we would have hoped in order to help him build momentum

The Elite 8 run doesn't seem to have caught or made much impact when it comes to building his credibility / ability to land elite transfer prospects

A less than stellar year 1 as a head coach at Texas is going to seem to be judged much more harshly than say Beard because he doesn't have previous big skins on the wall in order to build a team looking at transfers and recruiting etc

Why in the world would it not be an 8.5

I'm not saying there is no chance in getting things turned around....

But even when we're looking at Abmas - all the analysis is look at how great he does all these scoring things.....so long as you don't take into account that he jacks up a ton of bad threes..... Why wouldn't I take that into account exactly? Is he a good get? absolutely - but I mean we aren't talking about some prospect that is going to instantly become 5 quality guys because he's such a huge draw

8.5 reflects reality...... and God I hope we're wrong because we're with him for at least several years

The team that was so committed to Terry hasn't translated into him retaining a lot of the top talent that we would have hoped in order to help him build momentum

The Elite 8 run doesn't seem to have caught or made much impact when it comes to building his credibility / ability to land elite transfer prospects

A less than stellar year 1 as a head coach at Texas is going to seem to be judged much more harshly than say Beard because he doesn't have previous big skins on the wall in order to build a team looking at transfers and recruiting etc

But even when we're looking at Abmas - all the analysis is look at how great he does all these scoring things.....so long as you don't take into account that he jacks up a ton of bad threes..... Why wouldn't I take that into account exactly? Is he a good get? absolutely - but I mean we aren't talking about some prospect that is going to instantly become 5 quality guys because he's such a huge draw

8.5 reflects reality...... and God I hope we're wrong because we're with him for at least several years
8.5 makes it sound like things are almost as bad as they can be.

I think there is still some room to go before we are in that territory.

8.5 makes it sound like things are almost as bad as they can be.

I think there is still some room to go before we are in that territory.

Maybe that’s something more like saying the number can’t change

But based on current results I think 8.5 is fair

Hunter and Mitchell seem gone ?
Morris is gone
Those are huge hits that I don’t think I expected

I expected or hoped that transfer portal would be going better by a lot

Maybe that’s something more like saying the number can’t change

But based on current results I think 8.5 is fair

Hunter and Mitchell seem gone ?
Morris is gone
Those are huge hits that I don’t think I expected

I expected or hoped that transfer portal would be going better by a lot
I mean... yeah... it's not great.

There is only one player that is currently guaranteed to be gone that is a surprise, even before RT took over and that is Johnson. How would you think Michell was coming back? It was widely known that he was a one and done. Morris and Brumbaugh were always portal risk with the playing time last year. Why do you assume Hunter is gone? Reports are he was a host on the official visit for Dunn last weekend.

Abmas shot better from 3 than both Rice and Carr. Did they "jack up a ton of bad threes" He also shot better from the line then anyone at Texas last year.

Ok, maybe a 6.

A 5 can be fair also

But I would say the outcome of the next month or two will simply be revealing of what the number today should have been

Your level would suggest that building a solid to good roster from this point is very likely

My level would suggest that outcome would be rather unlikely

There is only one player that is currently guaranteed to be gone that is a surprise, even before RT took over and that is Johnson. How would you think Michell was coming back? It was widely known that he was a one and done. Morris and Brumbaugh were always portal risk with the playing time last year. Why do you assume Hunter is gone? Reports are he was a host on the official visit for Dunn last weekend.

Abmas shot better from 3 than both Rice and Carr. Did they "jack up a ton of bad threes" He also shot better from the line then anyone at Texas last year.

I mean Mitchell was widely thought of as one and done before this season for sure …. But I don’t think so after this first season and he’s barely listed as a second round pick now

Morris had a hugely clear path to increased role -

The reports on here have been saying not to expect hunter back - if he is great

I’m not seeing anything good - good for you if you do

A 5 can be fair also

But I would say the outcome of the next month or two will simply be revealing of what the number today should have been

Your level would suggest that building a solid to good roster from this point is very likely

My level would suggest that outcome would be rather unlikely
That's probably right.

So who
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

A few more good players.

In the 24-hour window immediately following the Texas spring game, the thought that kept creeping into my head was that you can see that this is a football team that is improving. You can also see the pathway toward a possible Big 12 championship.

You can also see a limitation or two that additional support through recruiting and/or the Portal would greatly benefit the team.

The team Steve Sarkisian is building seems 86-percent destined to be competing for the 2023 Big 12 Championship. There won't be a team on the 2023 schedule that Texas can't beat. Yet, there's still a step or two that the players and coaches within this team need to take that will define how this upcoming season will be remembered. Those steps don't get taken in April.

Yet, it's hard not to get excited about the offensive weaponry that Sark has created to put in the hands of Quinn Ewers. Xavier Worthy still gets ridiculous separation. AD Mitchell looks like a guy that is the best wide receiver for Georgia in an alternative universe. He's really talented. Johntay Cook is closer to being a star as a true freshman than not. Jordan Whittington looks fresh and hungry.

The mouth waters at the weapons and that's before we even get to Ja'Tavion Sanders, who is a legit all-America candidate at tight end. The only thing keeping the buzz meter semi-low on true freshman DeAndre Moore is that Cook is justifiably sucked all of the oxygen out of the true freshman wide receiver discussion.

I've got questions about the running game. I've got some questions about this offensive line. I've got some questions about how Sarkisian will put all of the pieces together.

But, damn ... Sark has some dudes to get the ball to. Without getting into too much hyperbole, I'll just say the wide receiver/tight end pieces are as good as we've seen since .... let's just say it's been a minute.

Meanwhile, the defense seems ok. It has some guys that might still be a year away from truly being ready to be plus-players. This is a defense that lacks the kind of depth that you have any real confidence in.

Another interior lineman would be nice. Someone at the edge position to push/supplement Ethan Burke would be a great idea. More linebackers. Yup.

It remains to be seen whether it can be obtained, but this team feels like it's a few more pieces away from really sitting in the pole-position inside the Big 12 title race.

What can be obtained in the Portal that potentially makes this team a few less pieces away? Can Sark cut to the front of the line on a few of these dudes like he did with Mitchell in January?

It should make the next few weeks a really interesting watch. It's a brave new college football world out there from a talent acquisition standpoint and schools that might need just a few pieces might just get a chance to get those pieces if it is truly ready for the activity in the Portal.

Will Oklahoma be aggressive in the Portal? TCU? Baylor?

All questions that will soon have some answers, but the hope if you're a Texas fan is that a few potential helping pieces can be added in the next few weeks/months. In a conference that will likely be decided by slim margins, the events of the Portal window will definitely include some moving parts that will represent those slightest types of boosted margins.

It's hard not to have an eye on this next free agency window when four players from the program have jumped in before the end of spring drills or a five-star talent in Bear Alexander enters the chat.

This team feels closer than ever to winning a conference title and 24 hours after the spring game, the biggest question that I have is one that's hard to truly answer or pin down. Just how much can Texas improve? What is the value of those improved fine margins? How aggressive will the market appear to be? Will it all amount to a nothing-burger? Or is there a player or two (or more) that can absolutely make the 2023 Longhorns better?

The addition of Mitchell is a reminder of how good Texas can be on the Portal front. Is there a repeat move out there that can impact the team like that? Are there two moves?

Again, lots of questions. It could make the next few weeks really important to the 2023 season

Ultimately, what's next? That's what I'm wondering with the completion of spring drills.

What's next?

No. 2 - Quarterback musings ...

... Yes, Saturday was just a simple data point A single practice. It was also the only one seen in front of fans and a Longhorns Network audience, On this particular day, Maalik Murphy looked as good or better than anyone on the roster at his position. It's a reminder of the level of competition taking place between the quarterbacks. All of these guys have some really fantastic physical tools. Murphy really let it rip a couple of times.

... Upon a second and third re-watch, I thought Quinn Ewers was solid. We've seen him throw the ball better than he did on Saturday, but it's no small thing that Ewers was casually on his way to a 400-yard type of day if the coaches had really let him turn it loose. He just needs to keep chopping wood.

... Arch didn't do much on Saturday, but he also didn't get to enjoy the high-end skill set at receiver on this particular day. On other days, his comfort level has looked quite better when Johntay Cook is out there catching passes instead of Thatcher Milton.

... Overall, Murphy emerges from Saturday as perhaps the day's biggest winner. He was really impressive. If that had been Manning that had thrown those back-to-back dimes for the pass that Moore dropped and then the pass on the very next play to Johntay Cook ... it would have been all over SportsCenter.

No. 3 - Other Spring Game Scattershots ...

... Consider me slightly underwhelmed by the running backs on Saturday, I didn't think that Jaydon Blue, CJ Baxter or Savion Red stood out from the pack and it's hard to know what's what with this group of players. Jonathon Brooks never looked more like a first-team player than by letting the other guys have a go at the crown.

... Anthony Hill as a situational turn-it-loose-and-just-let-him-go-get-the-ball guy has to be a play in the defensive playbook. Just let him be a badass.

... I can't help but to think the Longhorns will be looking for help in the Portal at linebacker.

... It's going to be really fascinating to see who emerges as playmakers on the defensive unit, Can Barryn Sorrell take the next big step? Are any of these defensive tackles better than pretty good? Is Ethan Burke ready ready?

No. 4 - ICYMI ...

If you want some Monday morning quarterback analysis to help get you through the day, here's a link to Saturday's post-scrimmage breakdown.

No. 5 - Updated Texas Scholarship Board ...

View attachment 4120

No. 6 - Time to panic?

I'm going to say that it's fair to be at a 5 on the 1-10 worry scale at the moment based on the way things have not exactly been going in favor of the Longhorns from a momentum standpoint.

There's still time for moves to be made and we're a Max Abmas or two away from potentially feeling quite different about the levels of panic that are fairly in play. Let's not go overboard ... yet.

No. 7 - Just Enough ...

As long as you can keep reminding yourself that taking two out of three on the road in conference play in any given weekend represents a win, you'll feel some good from a three-game set in Waco that challenged a lot of sanity in less than 72 hours.

Should the Longhorns have had a sweep? Sure. Don't we know enough about this year's team to know the Texas bullpen almost certainly has an "uh oh" in it on any given day and Saturday proved to be one of those games.

Yet, the Longhorns exit the weekend in first place in the Big 12. Last-place Oklahoma comes to town this weekend. There are worse ways to go through life than only winning 2/3 each weekend.

The bullpen is the bullpen. It's going to be good for at least one anxiety attack each weekend. But, this group has guts and it's the thing that you love about them.

As frustrating as they might be, first place is still first place.

View attachment 4118

No. 8 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) If it's Texas or the field, I'd take the field, but communication will be made. This is the type of addition to the team that absolutely makes it better, which is why they will kick the tires on it. I'm sure. NIL opportunities will likely be a significant element of his recruitment.

(Buy) I just don't think the coaches wanted to take any chances. It was just a practice and I think they wanted to get into the rest of the off-season without any more issues with the sports hernia issue.

(Sell) No, I'm not there yet by any means, but he sure had a nice practice on Saturday.

(Sell) I just don't think Neyor is getting Mitchell off the field. That might be more of a Neyor vs. Johntay Cook battle for playing time. Good luck.

(Sell) Maybe my head is in the sand, but I'm not sure there's a huge market out there for him at the moment.

(Buy) It'll happen at some point. Most of the fat has been trimmed.

(Sell) Don't tell me about it, just show me.

(Sell) Saturday was just one practice. "Nailed down" is fairly strong language. A lot can happen in the next five months.

(Sell) More like 15% chance of a defensive player getting 10 sacks.
(Sell) Might play on the first series, though.
(Buy) Sure, a slight regression to the mean.
(Buy) Absolutely.

(Sell) That's a little too much hyperbole. At least, let's hope it is.

(Sell) You're not probably far off, but I can't go so far as to say it will be at Simms/Applewhite levels.

No. 9 - Scattershooting on anything and everything ...

... I'm almost ready for the NFL Draft ...

... Feels like the entire NBA world is in the middle of a gasp while we wait to see what it exactly means that both Ja Morant and Giannis Antetokounmpo left game ones with injuries.

... It feels like Arsenal is starting to take on water. You can't settle for single points when Man City is the one chasing you.

... Austin FC continues to be the third best Texas team in the MLS. It just doesn't look like the same outfit.

No. 10 - The List: Top 10 True Crimes ...

I don't know what to say other than I've been on a little bit of a true crime kick for the last month or so. I figured I should go ahead and make a list out if it.

Others considered Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem, and Madness (Netflix), Surviving R. Kelly (Netflix) and Allen v. Farrow (HBO Max)

10. Captive Audience: A Real American Horror Story (Hulu)

I had never heard of the Stayner family until I watched this doc series and I'm kind of baffled by the end that I wasn't aware of this entire story.

9. Crime Scene: The Times Square Killer

There's something about 1970s New York that I find really fascinating.

8. The Staircase (Netflix)

One of the granddaddies of True Crimes. Did Michael Peterson do it?

7. The Ripper

It's kind of amazing how poorly an investigation can go when you just keep letting the same people make mistake after mistake after mistake.

6. The Waco: American Apocalypse

There's some recency bias in this selection, but I really found myself pretty locked into this story from my youth. I was kind of amazed at what I thought I remembered and what actually went down.

5. The Thin Blue Line (Apple+)

Another one of the OG True Crime movies. It's about a cop killer in the Metroplex from the 70s.

4. The Texas Killing Fields (Netflix)

This one kind of haunted me for a few days.

3. Don’t F— With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer (Netflix)

It's just a wild story, man ... all the way until the end.

2. O.J.: Made in America (Apple+/Amazon Prime)

If someone wants to tell me they think this belongs at No. 1, I won't argue too hard with you. It really is a fantastic series.

1. Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer (Netflix)

The 70s and 80s were just crazy, man.

So who's the number 2 QB going into this season?

That's a valid concern but we had similar thoughts about Jaylan Ford last preseason.
The question with Ford was whether he could be. truly plus-player and not just a solid starter. I don't think Gbenda is close to whether Ford was last year.

Reactions: kwayne64
If Maalik is named the 3rd string QB in the fall, he's likely out of here. On the other hand, Arch will probably be fine with a redshirt. I'm sure Sark is not stupid enough to make the wrong decision here.

The only question mark comes in with a longer term injury. No reason to do anything else for now, for sure.

Reactions: kwayne64
Who’s fixing the culture issue if it’s not the coaches?
Sark definitely gets credit for culture, recruiting and talent development. So he should win the conference championship, right?

The reason we’re not confident of that is he hasn’t proven to be a great game day coach. There’s a reason most outsiders don’t think he’s in the top 3 best coaches in the Big 12.

He’s never won a conference championship or big bowl game as a head coach. Needs to do both this year or recruiting starts to slip.

• Haha
Can we please not project every “next guy” (Gbenda to Ford) to have the same results as the previous guy, like some precedent exists? Every 5th round draft pick isn’t Tom Brady and not every linebacker is going to do what Ford did just because. It’s not like Choate has some magical beans he’s feeding the guys to make them into all Americans. Ford is an outlier. We need help.

• Haha
Can we please not project every “next guy” (Gbenda to Ford) to have the same results as the previous guy, like some precedent exists? Every 5th round draft pick isn’t Tom Brady and not every linebacker is going to do what Ford did just because. It’s not like Choate has some magical beans he’s feeding the guys to make them into all Americans. Ford is an outlier. We need help.
Yeah, I'm confused to all of the "Gbenda might really be as good as Ford" talk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT