ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend

Thanks for introducing me to Sturgill Simpson. "Turtles All The Way Down" is well done and a hoot. Sings a cosmological - philosophical song with good blue grass style. Wow. This from a guy who has been listening for the last month to Townes Van Zandt's CD recorded at The Quarters in Houston. (Very good too)

As to QB. This year I have the greatest hope for Heard in the QB competition. Gentry is too inexperienced without a redshirt year IMO. We have seen Swoopes and no matter what he does against 6-6 Arky, I have seen him wilt against good teams... I think Heard's high school record is better than either G or especially S.

No matter what my prejudices might be at QB, what I really want to see is a true QB competition.... with an improved OL. (Go get em Wick et al.)

Originally posted by Califashorn:
I keep telling you dudes that Gentry is better than Swoopes right now. He will solve our quarterback issues.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
It's like a never ending echo....lets play a true frosh QB and everything will be great...those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

I couldn't make it past Glen Campbell's song. That was the first time in a while (since Johnny Cash's Hurt) that a song had me speechless. Wow. Just... Wow! Thanks Ketch.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by Texas8412:

Go Swans.
my second favorite team behind the Reds.
roll.r191677.gif
(That's like saying your top 2 teams in the NFL are the Raiders and the Bills)

Ketch - You may want to return to your original "criteria" for selecting an EPL team to follow before it's too late. My fear is that the teams you're following will leave you so disenchanted with EPL soccer that you may not return for a second season. I'm serious. There's being a contrarian and then there's doing whatever you're doing...

Originally posted by Texas Diesel:
Add me to those thinking Heard is the answer. I think the o-line will be better and him running the zone read will benefit Gray with an overall improved running game as the result. An improved running game should open up the passing game as linebackers and safeties play up.
What's the ceiling for a Heard-led squad in your mind?
10 wins for Heard and 9 for Swoopes with a chance for Heard to win them all in 2016 and still 9 wins for Swoopes. A true running threat at QB is a difference maker at the college level.

Originally posted by MikeCorleone:
Ketch is giving you guys some strong hints about Heard.
Mike is Ketch giving us hints about Heard or about Heard in Watson's offense. I have read both.

Misses at QB happen all the time - still hard to believe we couldn't find one player special enough to really break through -- we've had 7 guys. Ash looked promising but injuries and the fact that he wasn't good enough to right the ship with the all around instability of the program.

Jury still out on Swoopes and Heard but they don't seem to be immediate splash guys. Hard to believe. Maybe culture and OL didn't allow them to blossom.

Bad run of luck, evaluation or coaching or all of the above.

I haven't been this thrilled/excited, proud, and satisfied about a Cowboys team since they won back to back Super Bowls!Gotta love not just the play of this team, but also the passion & chemistry of this team!! Ride 'em Cowboys!! Yee-haw!

Originally posted by houstonhorn87:

so, one of the greatest seasons of any quarterback in school history is the ceiling?

Colt's 2006 season has to rank near the top 10? He almost made it to NY.
29 TDs and 10 INTs I think it was? Great numbers for a first year starter but not nearly what JT Barrett put up in his first year, Manziel, or Winston recently, and very comparable to what Bridgewater put up for Strong and Watson in his 2nd season in their system. And I believe we were 9-3 that year after Colt went down against KSU and A&M, would hope to be around there record-wise next season as well.
And Barnett's season was the best of any quarterback in the history of the Big 10 or close to that.

You don't think your expectations are a little out of whack? Not even a little?

Originally posted by jayboy212:
I feel like the offense in 2015 it's more about consistent play up front. Whether it be swoopes or heard, good play up front will determine the overall success.
Maybe 15 years ago, but you have to have a top guy these days to be a top team.

It's a hell of a lot easier for a great quarterback to make his line look better than the other way around.

It is a lot easier for a pretty good QB to look "great" when he has a strong running game.
Well, yeah, but like in 2008 and 2009, a great quarterback lifts all tides.

Oh, and this OL in 2015 isn't likely going to be the type that makes a quarterback "look" great.

Ketch is giving you guys some strong hints about Heard.
I like Heard a lot, but these expectations for a guy the staff is unsure of are just unrealistic.

It's like they've been eating out of the trash for five years and they just expect the next meal to be from Eddie V's.

Originally posted by houstonhorn87:

so, one of the greatest seasons of any quarterback in school history is the ceiling?

Colt's 2006 season has to rank near the top 10? He almost made it to NY.
29 TDs and 10 INTs I think it was? Great numbers for a first year starter but not nearly what JT Barrett put up in his first year, Manziel, or Winston recently, and very comparable to what Bridgewater put up for Strong and Watson in his 2nd season in their system. And I believe we were 9-3 that year after Colt went down against KSU and A&M, would hope to be around there record-wise next season as well.
And Barnett's season was the best of any quarterback in the history of the Big 10 or close to that.

You don't think your expectations are a little out of whack? Not even a little?
Barrett was much better than the numbers I threw out, I think he was in the 40s for TDs, he's just a comparison because we took a guy on our roster over him. Colt's season and Bridgewater's season were very comparable

This post was edited on 12/29 8:16 AM by houstonhorn87

Originally posted by Califashorn:
I keep telling you dudes that Gentry is better than Swoopes right now. He will solve our quarterback issues.
Based on what information? I don't know how anyone could make such a conclusion.

Originally posted by MK_AllDay:
Ketch, I appreciate you including The War On Drugs in your list of top songs of the year for indie. I'll even venture to say that their album is in my top four rock/alternative albums of the year, rounded out with Lazeretto, Hozier and Ryan Adams. Among your 10 Things, the last topic always makes me read through your entire column each week.
This post was edited on 12/28 10:58 PM by MK_AllDay
That was a tough category as well but that's a great song. Lazaretto is in my top 5.

Thanks for the kind words.

Originally posted by HORN4LIFE512:
Who is this Tim Irwin guy you and a few posters keep talking about? Is he related to Roland Jones?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 12/28 11:15 PM by HORN4LIFE512
th

Originally posted by RLong68:
In his first 12 games Moss established himself as an absolute pure freak that had never been seen at the position. Beckham has been great. He hasn't been as great as Moss. Honestly not s sure how a Cowboys fan makes that statement given Moss' 12th game was his thanksgiving massacre of Dallas.
Ok, but no receiver has ever had more receiving yards in 12 games than Beckham. Plus, he's doing it with Eli, which means he pretty much deserves a medal.

Also, if you've been watching Beckham and don't think he's also been a freak, you need to start watching him. He's fun.

Originally posted by LWULFE:
I assume that the news from today that Drew Richmond will be visiting on 1/30 is either (a) nothing you consider too serious, or (2) news that came after your rankings for OOS prospects in the LSR. Which is it and would he be #1 or #2 in your rankings?

I thought you and others thought Gentry is underrated and borderline 5*. Being 16 in the LSR sure doesn't show that and puts him well below Heard by your estimations from last year. This would seem to contradict the tone that some feel regarding your opinion of Heard or your opinion of Heard has dropped based on feedback from his performance in practices this season. Do you feel that Gentry is better than Heard? Is your confidence in rating Heard as a high 4* recruit waning?
a. I finished the top 50 before the news popped yesterday and I forgot to add him.

b. Probably No.2.

c. I view Gentry as a national top 75-100 type guy and a high 5.9-rated guy. It's hard to know exactly what he is as a player because of the New Mexico thing.

d. My only two concerns with Heard is that he's not as advanced as a passer as I thought coming out and I'm not sure he fits the current scheme like the other quarterbacks fit the scheme.

Originally posted by RLong68:
Corleone, sure Ketch is giving out hints on Heard. He was also all in on Gilbert leading up to '10.
th

Originally posted by earlhorn:

Our o-line has been crap just like the Quarterback problem , I thank we should fix the o-line first . Alabama wins with average Quarterbacks just sayin.
Yes, and about the rest of the team...

Originally posted by HornDozer:
Thanks for introducing me to Sturgill Simpson. "Turtles All The Way Down" is well done and a hoot. Sings a cosmological - philosophical song with good blue grass style. Wow. This from a guy who has been listening for the last month to Townes Van Zandt's CD recorded at The Quarters in Houston. (Very good too)

As to QB. This year I have the greatest hope for Heard in the QB competition. Gentry is too inexperienced without a redshirt year IMO. We have seen Swoopes and no matter what he does against 6-6 Arky, I have seen him wilt against good teams... I think Heard's high school record is better than either G or especially S.

No matter what my prejudices might be at QB, what I really want to see is a true QB competition.... with an improved OL. (Go get em Wick et al.)
a. I'm glad the list could be of some good use. Make sure you check out the Glen Campbell song if you haven't heard it yet.

b. The quarterback thoughts are all fair.

c. You're gonna get your wish.

Originally posted by Heavy7602:
I couldn't make it past Glen Campbell's song. That was the first time in a while (since Johnny Cash's Hurt) that a song had me speechless. Wow. Just... Wow! Thanks Ketch.
It's a doozy.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by HookemUK:

Originally posted by Texas8412:

Go Swans.
my second favorite team behind the Reds.
roll.r191677.gif
(That's like saying your top 2 teams in the NFL are the Raiders and the Bills)

Ketch - You may want to return to your original "criteria" for selecting an EPL team to follow before it's too late. My fear is that the teams you're following will leave you so disenchanted with EPL soccer that you may not return for a second season. I'm serious. There's being a contrarian and then there's doing whatever you're doing...
The heart likes what the heart lies and it can't be helped.

Hence, my Sixers love after all of these years.

Originally posted by jayboy212:
I feel like the offense in 2015 it's more about consistent play up front. Whether it be swoopes or heard, good play up front will determine the overall success.
Maybe 15 years ago, but you have to have a top guy these days to be a top team.

It's a hell of a lot easier for a great quarterback to make his line look better than the other way around.

It is a lot easier for a pretty good QB to look "great" when he has a strong running game.
Well, yeah, but like in 2008 and 2009, a great quarterback lifts all tides.

Oh, and this OL in 2015 isn't likely going to be the type that makes a quarterback "look" great.
Well I agree with you regarding great QBs lift all tides but Texas cannot count on that happening. How often will you get a VY or Colt? In 2009 Colt was a 5th year Senior and already one of the greatest Texas QBs ever and even he struggled at times. He was terrible in the Oklahoma and Nebraska games and started slowly in the first half of some other games like Wyoming and Colorado. 2009 was the Colt and Shipley show on offense. The OL, RBs WRs and TE were average to way below average. If you were to put Brown, Applewhite, Simms at QB on that 2009 team you are looking at least 2-3 losses and they were good QBs.

Texas has been throwing out freshman and sophomore QBs and needing them to be great like 5th year Senior Colt McCoy and surrounding them with below average to poor OL, TEs, WRs and RBs. Texas has been a black hole for the past 5 years at all the position groups on offense. There is your problem.

This post was edited on 12/29 8:59 AM by FriscoWolf

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT