ADVERTISEMENT

Like Dirty Penny

Honest question: What did he do to sabotage Strong? I know facilities needed upgrading, but I guess maybe I just don't remember. With respect to Mack Brown, it seems like the Muschamp "Head Coach in waiting" thing also contributed to some of Mack's late issues.

The story goes that Mack told Strong to let the coaches and staff go except for Bruce Chambers and that Chris Plonsky was the go to person in the AD for whatever he needed.

And the part to where he quit on us at the end and got us where we have been last 4or 5 yrs.

Hook'em

those last two teams were not very talented. he went 8-5 and 9-4. how is that quitting? he missed on the qb position and misjudged the difficulty and necessity of changing offenses.

i want to say this again... he went 9-4 with case mccoy as his starting qb. 8-5 with david ash as a freshman.

the change in offense is because he let a game get to him too much. OUR COACH CARED TOO MUCH!!! i will take that any day

those last two teams were not very talented. he went 8-5 and 9-4. how is that quitting? he missed on the qb position and misjudged the difficulty and necessity of changing offenses.

i want to say this again... he went 9-4 with case mccoy as his starting qb. 8-5 with david ash as a freshman.

the change in offense is because he let a game get to him too much. OUR COACH CARED TOO MUCH!!! i will take that any day

And the Guns In the locker room and most of them not going to classes and trouble with the lawn mower, He Cared a lot!

Hook'em

And the Guns In the locker room and most of them not going to classes and trouble with the lawn mower, He Cared a lot!

Hook'em

Every player brought a gun in the locker room? Out of the 15 years Mack coached at UT I don't remember it being run like a Miami Hurricanes team. I think you're picking things to make Mack out to be some POS coach. Did he have some faults sure but the way you talk about Mack it makes it sound like he was Switzer or Jimmy Johnson coaching at OU or Miami. FBH the reason you're pissed about the way we play now is due to Mack giving us a winning product for most of his coaching career here. I wonder if we had a forum before Mack if you'd hate all those coaches before him and after DKR.

Every player brought a gun in the locker room? Out of the 15 years Mack coached at UT I don't remember it being run like a Miami Hurricanes team. I think you're picking things to make Mack out to be some POS coach. Did he have some faults sure but the way you talk about Mack it makes it sound like he was Switzer or Jimmy Johnson coaching at OU or Miami. FBH the reason you're pissed about the way we play now is due to Mack giving us a winning product for most of his coaching career here. I wonder if we had a forum before Mack if you'd hate all those coaches before him and after DKR.

You got Hate mixed up with Dislike, I hate no one, the front end of his Tenure no one can fault, the back end he sorta forgot about Football, he was not prepared for the second Bama game with no backup QB like he was all the season, gonna start Swoops as that's all he had besides Heard and we seen how that turned out

Hook'em

You got Hate mixed up with Dislike, I hate no one, the front end of his Tenure no one can fault, the back end he sorta forgot about Football, he was not prepared for the second Bama game with no backup QB like he was all the season, gonna start Swoops as that's all he had besides Heard and we seen how that turned out

Hook'em

FBH it sounds more like hate with the way you go on about Mack. If you go back to all your statements about Mack it all reads as if you don't want him around the program because he destroyed it. "Dislike" what does that mean? You've never mentioned anything positive about how he built the program back up or given him props it's always been about how he stopped caring and left this program in shambles. If you just 'disliked" him there would be some praise and then somethings you don't care for but all of it has been "get him outta here" kind of post. Everyone has their opinions on Mack but no one can take away what he did for this program! It's all facts backed by numbers and if you're going to let a couple years make you forget the number of winning seasons and two NC appearances one of them being arguably the best NC in history well good luck. You're pretty hard to keep happy.

Hook'em

Well, if you "dislike" Mack Brown, how do you feel about Fred Akers, David McWilliams, John Mackovic and Charlie Strong? None of those coaches came close to winning a championship and all were fired for having losing records, and none of them came close to the success that Mack Brown had at Texas.

Reactions: Cotton #12
Well, if you "dislike" Mack Brown, how do you feel about Fred Akers, David McWilliams, John Mackovic and Charlie Strong? None of those coaches came close to winning a championship and all were fired for having losing records, and none of them came close to the success that Mack Brown had at Texas.

Makers was OK, he did a lot good things, Makavic was too Ivy League for Texas, David Mac just didn't have the right handle, I would say MB was the best out the group, but then GB was diff at each level back then I come from same hometown as Williams and Culpepper, CS, I did like his thoughts of cleaning Texas athletes up to do right, maybe should have had another yr, but showbiz hit, my real thought was he was f'd when he signed that contract and he knew it, too much against him to succeed for him to make it

Hook'em

Dude, you take the Mack Brown era out and since 1975, where does that leave you? Mack Brown did extraordinarily well.

Wasn't he did well or not,,"He quit on us at the end, hung our asses out to dry, look at the players he left us with and the crap he left Strong.ake Swoops a All AmericanQB right Mack in one yr...lol. the team was depleted

Hook'em

Fact

No Texas ex player that was hired at coach ever made too long I believe Makers went the longrst

Hook'em

David should have stayed at TT

Del Conte doesn’t strike me as someone who doesn’t do their homework before they make moves. If he thinks Mack can help out in some way then he has probably already probed around and got an idea how he would be accepted by the big donors and Herman. Isn’t Texas still paying him anyway? Might as well have him do something.

Dude, you take the Mack Brown era out and since 1975, where does that leave you? Mack Brown did extraordinarily well.

Very good point, but Fred Akers era was pretty darn good.

10 years at Texas

86-31-2
9 Bowl Games
Six 9 win seasons
2 SWC Championships
4 Top 10 Finishes
3 Top 5 Finishes
2x played for a National Title (de facto)

However, he had a terrible bowl record, was an asshole, and was 20-14-1 in his last three years including a 5-6 in year 10.

All in all, a decent 10 year run.

10 years at Texas

86-31-2
9 Bowl Games
Six 9 win seasons
2 SWC Championships
4 Top 10 Finishes
3 Top 5 Finishes

However, he had a terrible bowl record, was an asshole, and was 20-14-1 in his last three years including a 5-6 in year 10.

Those are numbers and facts. I don’t think that matters to FBH just his opinion. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
probably working against akers was that jackie sherrill had the money train kicked into high gear and they were trending up, fast.

i don't know how anybody thought mcwilliams was the answer, but remember, we were the same school that couldn't hire john cooper from arizona state because we couldn't afford him. from arizona state.

which leads me to another point-- mack turned Texas into a cash factory. i remember after his first year hearing that suppliers were out of burnt orange fabric (i don't know the particulars, but why couldn't they just dye more, i don't know). now, ricky had something to do with that, but the excitement level was electric.

sounds like fb has his mind made up, and i'm not changing mine. but really, how can you disparage the overall body of work that mack brown had, and then say charlie deserved another year?

I do not have the figures but Mack Brown and Dodds brought in more revenue than any football program in the United states over several years.I think to many of us it is just a game to watch and enjoy but lose sight of the fact it is Big Business paying the costs of other athletic programs at the university.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Wow...as an outsider looking in, Mack Brown should be royalty at Texas.

I get that his last few years weren't up to the standard that he helped build for Texas, but Holy Cow he had some great years before that. Coach Brown's bad fortune is that he came around the same time Bob Stoops arrived at OU. No one can argue he didn't win many of those battles, but Coach Stoops and OU were what kept Texas from having several more championships, both conference and national. But Mack Brown will go down as one of the top five coaches in that period, especially from 2004-2009.

For those who are upset that he left Texas in disarray, that's what happens about 99% of the time when a coach is at a program for an unbelievably long amount of time. It's hard to sustain a great program for that long of a period. Saban and Alabama will start to falter at some point as well. Coach Brown did it for as long as anybody else, and he did it with great dignity that brought a lot of honor and attention to your program.

It's like getting onto Jesus because his apostles left him at the end.

one thing about F Akers....He was an asshole, but he could coach. In 1983, (I think it was '83) his team played Georgia and as the # 1 team going in, all they had to do was win. They lost because of a muffed punt with less than 5 min to go.....too bad. He lost his Mojo because he so pissed off the HS coaches he could no longer recruit.

Yes,I remember that game and muffed punt and Texas had the game in hand and sick feeling after that one. I was not aware of Akers personality and he no doubt should have learned watching Mack with high school coaches.

fredgraph.png

Wow...as an outsider looking in, Mack Brown should be royalty at Texas.

I get that his last few years weren't up to the standard that he helped build for Texas, but Holy Cow he had some great years before that. Coach Brown's bad fortune is that he came around the same time Bob Stoops arrived at OU. No one can argue he didn't win many of those battles, but Coach Stoops and OU were what kept Texas from having several more championships, both conference and national. But Mack Brown will go down as one of the top five coaches in that period, especially from 2004-2009.

For those who are upset that he left Texas in disarray, that's what happens about 99% of the time when a coach is at a program for an unbelievably long amount of time. It's hard to sustain a great program for that long of a period. Saban and Alabama will start to falter at some point as well. Coach Brown did it for as long as anybody else, and he did it with great dignity that brought a lot of honor and attention to your program.

It's like getting onto Jesus because his apostles left him at the end.

Maybe OU will hire him next year, he"s looking Micro! Your brother fan's might have something to say about that.

Hook'em

Guess that is why our program is, as it is cause he did so well before with it..I remember a lot of people on this board calling for his Ass also ..hmmm? Even some people in this thread. Hmmmmm?

Hook'em

Maybe OU will hire him next year, he"s looking Micro! Your brother fan's might have something to say about that.

Hook'em
Ha! I think we’ll stick with who we just signed. I think he’s going to be a good one.

But don’t forget...Mack was at OU before he was at Texas. :)

10 years at Texas

86-31-2
9 Bowl Games
Six 9 win seasons
2 SWC Championships
4 Top 10 Finishes
3 Top 5 Finishes

Haha, that destroys JoeAgs theory. Akers stretch alone gives A&M’s entire existence a run for its money.

Reactions: weevilcatch
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT