ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorn's Fall Camp Thread

Is there a battle shaping up between Dicker and Rowland?

How's Ryan Bujcevski looking? Will he be ready when the season starts? We're going to need these guys..

Kicker is still undecided. Sadly, I have a feeling this is because nobody is looking particularly good.

If our D is as salty as we all hope it will be, then our offense has a chance to get their feet under them and start to become good. Last year our D was very good, but would get worn down because the offense was so crappy. I dont expect miracles but I do think we will be a better team than last year.

....and for Metcalf.....I heard Brandon Jones has had the lights come on and gets in the correct place every time....and directs others as well

Reactions: JHop6714
If our D is as salty as we all hope it will be, then our offense has a chance to get their feet under them and start to become good. Last year our D was very good, but would get worn down because the offense was so crappy. I dont expect miracles but I do think we will be a better team than last year.

....and for Metcalf.....I heard Brandon Jones has had the lights come on and gets in the correct place every time....and directs others as well

Offense won the last scrimmage. In over 100 plays, they had no turnovers, and only one penalty. Herman says it's definitely a sign of the offense progressing, and not the defense taking a step back. I have full confidence in the D, so this sounds like good news to me.

Reactions: JHop6714
Offense won the last scrimmage. In over 100 plays, they had no turnovers, and only one penalty. Herman says it's definitely a sign of the offense progressing, and not the defense taking a step back. I have full confidence in the D, so this sounds like good news to me.

There will be only one thing that could hurt the D and that is losing Poona Ford.

Nelson was decent last year but he did not show the disruption that Ford did.

If the Horns have trouble stopping the run with Nelson they have to commit other players.
This takes away the blitz and the aggression.

I truthfully think that Coburn will develop into a monster by the end of the year.

Yes, Colt was great as a redshirt freshman until he was injured. Not very good as a sophomore. His junior year was probably our best team. And he was great as a senior but his team wasn't quite as good as the year before.

As far as QBs already "making it" once they arrive, it might be true most of the time but not all of the time. How many people didn't want Baker Mayfield before he blossomed and became a Heisman winner? Same switch could flip for Sam at any moment (theoretically/hopefully)

Freshman Colt had most of the NC line, which is why he set so many freshman records, sophomore Colt spent the season running for his life.

Reactions: HornDrummer
We are actually already thin at lb but would love to see Foster in the mix

Actually none of the starters have suffered anything yet.
The two LBs injured wouldn't have even played according to Todd Orlando.

I would worry about it more IF players were not getting injured

The biggest concern for Texas coming out of camp, with 12 days as of Monday until the Longhorns take the field for the Sept. 1 season opener against Maryland, is the number of injuries suffered at linebacker. Todd Orlando, who coaches the linebackers while also serving as defensive coordinator, has one player currently suspended from the team, two others who were injured during camp and a safety who spun down on a temporary basis who’s also on the shelf.

Tom Herman made no bones last week following a practice when stating his level of concern for the depth at arguably the most important position in Orlando’s defense.

“High,” Herman said.

Orlando said following Saturday’s scrimmage that his 3-4 defense (Texas bases out of a nickel look with the nickelback replacing the field-side linebacker) runs through the two inside linebacker positions. There’s not a lot of depth currently alongside Rover (weakside linebacker) Gary Johnson with Anthony Wheeler unavailable for the first half of the Maryland game due to a suspension he has to serve after being ejected by way of a targeting penalty from the Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl last December and backup Mac (middle) linebacker Ayodele Adeoye (along with temporarily converted safety DeMarvion Overshown) already ruled against the Terrapins due to a knee injury.

Orlando said the only option the Longhorns have is to mix, match and piece things together for the time being because of the lack of depth.

“Right now we’re thin,” Orlando said. “But we have options off of that.”

Orlando declined to go into specifics regarding personnel due to the Longhorns being so close to facing Maryland. However, the likely plan based on what Herman said following a recent practice would likely be to start 270-pound Malcolm Roach next to Johnson with true freshman Joseph Ossai manning the No. 1 B-backer spot.

That’s assuming Jeffrey McCulloch doesn’t return from a strained pectoral in time for the game. Herman said last week that he’s hopeful to have McCulloch back by game week, but outside of the junior returning from injury the Longhorns would have to rely on using a safety in a different package with Chris Brown and B.J. Fosterthe most likely candidates to fill the Joker role in the Lighting package (dime personnel with six defensive backs on the field).

“The good thing is we’re pretty well versed in our dime package too,” Herman said. “If we had to live in that for a week or two I think we could.”

One player the Longhorns won’t likely have this season is Demarco Boyd. The third-year sophomore remains suspended following an altercation that allegedly took place on July 4 and Orlando didn’t sound optimistic about Boyd rejoining the Longhorns this season.

“In my opinion, he’s just no longer a part of this team right now,” Orlando said. “From our standpoint, we’re moving forward until Tom Herman tells me something different.”

Even with Boyd being indefinitely removed from the squad, Adeoye and Overshown both out for the Maryland game, Wheeler being forced to watch the first half of the opener in the locker room and McCulloch’s return not set in stone, Herman is concerned but he’s not panicking about the depth at the second level of the defense.

“We’ll find a way to get through it,” Herman said.

Reactions: westx
Yeah when I posted that I was hoping he gpt smarter with the ball in those crunch times.
A year makes a huge difference from freshman to sophomore, so, I think all of our wishes that he got smarter with the ball will come true.

I dont remember who the guy is on the D line, but they said he is STRONG. The phrase was..."moves grown men against their will" Supposedly he does not have quick twitch, but they said he cannot be moved. Maybe Imade, but not sure.

There are stupid interceptions and there are ones made by taking chances.

Ehlinger was the reason on offense that we had a chance to beat SC.
No one gives Ehlinger credit for winning the K State game.

Oklahoma St and Tech are two games I think he would take back

At that point Ehlinger was not 100%.

To get back to my original point.

You don't throw an interception up 14-0 in the second quarter

If you are down by ten in the 4th and you want to take the chance then sometimes it is not a horrible interception because you are giving the team a chance to win.

For a QB to make big plays you have to take a chance.

Texas has a D and hopefully a running game so Ehlinger needs to be a game manager more than a gun slinger though
Will he do that? I have my doubts.

I dont remember who the guy is on the D line, but they said he is STRONG. The phrase was..."moves grown men against their will" Supposedly he does not have quick twitch, but they said he cannot be moved. Maybe Imade, but not sure.

Imade is on the OL.

Could be Coburn who is 6-3 330.
Coburn is a monster. The NT that likes to play nasty.

If he is a quick twitch....I have no idea.
The guy can move at 330 though.
His high school produces elite DLine.

I don't know if Roach is the guy, but, that dude is one of those naturally strong and stout guys. I am really looking forward to watch what he does this season more than anybody else on the defense.

Will he do that? I have my doubts.

Some of the criticism of Ehlinger is based on frustration.

I get that. I also get that a true freshman was asked to carry this team and at times he flashed moments of brilliance.
You have to think that as he matures he will become a lot more comfortable as a QB.

There was once a time when UT fans wanted to see Chance Mock over Vince Young. Especially early in 2003.

well....Sam is the guy. Fine with me. Folks talk about him not being accurate like it is something rare among QB's....It isnt. What we need from Sam is to play like he can play, Lead like he has shown and cut down on the mistakes. If we cant be understanding of the fact he was a true freshman last year, then we are a tough crowd indeed.

well....Sam is the guy. Fine with me. Folks talk about him not being accurate like it is something rare among QB's....It isnt. What we need from Sam is to play like he can play, Lead like he has shown and cut down on the mistakes. If we cant be understanding of the fact he was a true freshman last year, then we are a tough crowd indeed.

I think a lot of us forget he was a true freshman as well as learning a new offense. Well the whole offense was learning a new playbook as well as trying to gel and take in a new coaches culture and system. Let the kid play some games to see what we have and trust Herman knows which QB gives us the best chance to win.

Reactions: westx
Yes, I did. I think Sam may always be a gunslinger. Most of them aren't Brett Favre.

Yes, I did. I think Sam may always be a gunslinger. Most of them aren't Brett Favre.

According to reports Ehlinger is our starting QB for the next three years
Unless of course he dramatically falls off or Cameron Rising takes a huge leap.

Unlike Ehlinger, Tim Beck is developing Rising slowly.

I actually see more moments of brilliance than moments that he does not belong.

If he stays healthy and continues to develop than by 2019 and 2020 we will have an outstanding QB.

Then just need someone to bridge the gap to Preston Stone.
Hopefully Rising because I like the kid.
He RS this year then he can start in 21 and 22.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT