ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorn's Fall Camp Thread

The anti Mehringer feeling is because some in the fanbase overvalue WR.

It is better to find WRs that fit into the system. We have 3 4 star WR and will sign 1 more by all accounts.
You can't lock everyone up.
There really is no clear cut stud between the top 10. All the way down to Higgins and Curry

I guess RHM taught him a lesson by punishing himself. If true, RHM is a dumbass.

You can't make everyone happy but what you can do is create an equal platform for players to compete.

Herman so far has done this.
We will see in one month if it means wins on the field.

Mehringer’s behavior is allegedly why we aren’t recruiting WR well this year. Word is he pissed off a lot of parents of 2019 WR recruits over the summer. There is no reason to ever be lacking at WR in Texas.

Not recruiting WR well? Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington?

The anti Mehringer feeling is because some in the fanbase overvalue WR.

It is better to find WRs that fit into the system. We have 3 4 star WR and will sign 1 more by all accounts.
You can't lock everyone up.
There really is no clear cut stud between the top 10. All the way down to Higgins and Curry

That’s my point with the spread dominance in Texas there are plenty of WRs. The only ones we’ve gotten a commit from live out of state.

That’s my point with the spread dominance in Texas there are plenty of WRs. The only ones we’ve gotten a commit from live out of state.

Brennan Eagles- Houston, TX
Al'Vonte Woodard- Houston, TX
Joshua Moore- Yoakum, TX

Jordan Whittington- Cuero, TX

Reactions: LonghornMM
This.....Seriously, only aggy narrative can say we are not recruiting well at the WR position
I won't deny we are recruiting well.

What I will argue is the development part.

Roy Williams, Sloan Thomas and bj johnson were arguably the best wrs, as a class, to ever come through texas. They all developed in our system. Burt hasn't developed. I'm. Curious if Humphries is developing.

you are right about Burt. I submit that Roy Williams was a freak when he got here and spent his time here as a freak, but never developed into the monster that he might have become. LJH was primarily a RB in HS so I dont know if that had as much to do with his not being more productive as the fact that we had no QB with time enough to get him the ball. Anyway, I am anxiously awaiting your report as you have been very on point the last several years.

Clob,

something I've been thinking for a while...

You call Mackovic, Mackoprick, and I can totally understand why. But what has always puzzled me is why in the world would Ricky come to his defense by saying "if he comes back, I'll come back" way back in '97? Never made sense.

Clob,

You call Mackovic, Mackoprick, and I can totally understand why. But what has always puzzled me is why in the world would Ricky come to his defense by saying "if he comes back, I'll come back" way back in '97? Never made sense.

I don't get it either. Mackovic was a world class arrogant, condescending a-hole. Eff that guy! He and Steve Patterson are just alike.

Clob,

Yep. Getting Ricky to come back and signing VY, two greatest recruitments of the Mack Brown era. Ricky got us rolling and Vince took us to the pinnacle. How many games would we have won last year if Foreman would have returned? More than seven, right? Imagine our recruiting if Herman would have posted nine wins last year.

Reactions: freeper and westx
Imagine our recruiting if Herman would have posted nine wins last year

I had this discussion with an over passionate fan. You know that one that says this is Texas 9 wins isn't going to cut it right off the bat when a coach starts. I told him 9 wins can spring board you into 10+ wins a season. Everyone wants to play for a winner.

I won't deny we are recruiting well.

What I will argue is the development part.

Roy Williams, Sloan Thomas and bj johnson were arguably the best wrs, as a class, to ever come through texas. They all developed in our system. Burt hasn't developed. I'm. Curious if Humphries is developing.

Really? The same BJ and Roy who both dropped TD passes from Simms and cost us a Holiday Bowl win?

The same Roy who dropped a TD from Simms against OU that would've at least tied the game?

Sorry, those guys dropped way too many passes. Roy was a beast, had all the tools of Calvin Johnson, except the hands, and had an average NFL career. It should've been great.

How did BJ and Sloan do in the league, since they were developed so well?

Actually Tom Herman followed the Guide created by Pete Carroll and Nick Saban.

Year 1
Establish a new culture with Defense being the backbone
Stay in every game
Finish 6-6 or 7-6
Recruit a Top 5 class

Year 2
Improve the Offense
Win the games that you couldn't the year before
Finish 10-2
Recruit a Top 5 class

Year 3
National Championship???

Kirby Smart at UGA is following this same blueprint

Really? The same BJ and Roy who both dropped TD passes from Simms and cost us a Holiday Bowl win?

The same Roy who dropped a TD from Simms against OU that would've at least tied the game?

Sorry, those guys dropped way too many passes. Roy was a beast, had all the tools of Calvin Johnson, except the hands, and had an average NFL career. It should've been great.

Roy Jones missed his opportunity for dominance in college. He was good, but, not great/dominant. Either due to coaching or himself. ou's Roy Jones was the spotlight. I get frustrated even thinking about it.

So we translate college impact to NFL success?

Seems a little odd.....

And don't kid yourself--- right around the time you'd forget about Sloan, BAM, he'd stab a deep ball and bust a game wide open.

BJ caught 152 balls at Texas.

Roy Williams yardage average per catch: 16
BJ-- 15.7
Sloan 15.5

John Burt had 11 catches last year...... and a whopping 18 the year before. Do you remember how many he had as a fish?

So 28-18-11...... I'm seeing a trend here. My math calculations say he's on track to catch 6 this year.

John Burt is what, our #3 or #4 receiver? Has had ZERO QB help. BJ was a starter, with two damn good QBs. Next.

EDIT: I love how people seem to think these WRs are just supposed to pull all these receptions out their ass. They do need somebody to throw the ball, don't they? In case you haven't noticed, Our QB play the past few years has been severely lacking. C'mon clob, you know better.

And another damn thing. Burt was the best we had when he got here. Since then, a few folks with the initials CJ, LJH, and RHM arrived. Ya think maybe, just maybe, those guys could've contributed to Burt's decline in receptions? Christ I thought that was obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhioHorn25
John Burt is what, our #3 or #4 receiver? Has had ZERO QB help. BJ was a starter, with two damn good QBs. Next.

EDIT: I love how people seem to think these WRs are just supposed to pull all these receptions out their ass. They do need somebody to throw the ball, don't they? In case you haven't noticed, Our QB play the past few years has been severely lacking. C'mon clob, you know better.

And another damn thing. Burt was the best we had when he got here. Since then, a few folks with the initials CJ, LJH, and RHM arrived. Ya think maybe, just maybe, those guys could've contributed to Burt's decline in receptions? Christ I thought that was obvious.
Dude.... I've listened to burt catch balls. It sounds like a wet hand slapping a side of raw beef.

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing these other guys catch..... but make no mistake, we ain't got THAT kind of talent throwing OR catching.

Dude.... I've listened to burt catch balls. It sounds like a wet hand slapping a side of raw beef.

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing these other guys catch..... but make no mistake, we ain't got THAT kind of talent throwing OR catching.

That's the exact sound I always imagined when Sweed was here. Dude drove me up the f*cking wall.

Look, I'm not high on Burt. You just picked that one guy as an example of how our WRs aren't developing..you intentionally picked the one guy that hasn't progressed, and made out like he's the standard. that's bullshit. It just happens we've upgraded at WR since he got here. Now you expect his hands to change? Ain't happenin' bruh. You can't teach soft hands. You either got it, or you don't. CJ, and LJH got it. Which is why they've left Burt behind.

I am not totally down on Burt.
Don't think he is the athlete that Goodwin was but Goodwin didn't truly put up tremendous numbers at UT

That play he made against Oklahoma State last year was first class.
Has Olympic quality speed. Just needs to be used in a down the field passing game.

I truly think against Maryland we need to get the ball first and air it out.
Similar to the first plays against Kansas and Kansas St last year
Especially if Buechele is the QB

Not only does Texas need to win this Maryland game after last years debocle with everything going on inside the Maryland program this needs to be a blowout win for Texas.

Not only does Texas need to win this Maryland game after last years debocle with everything going on inside the Maryland program this needs to be a blowout win for Texas.
Maryland is in disarray and we should win that game.... provided we don't poo ourselves because it's a road opener in a far away place hosted in an NFL stadium.

Btw.... don't be distracted by maryland's new helmets they will be sporting.

Reactions: TheTruthof2018
Truthfully if Maryland doesn't come out with their balls hanging they will be humiliated.

The revenge factor will add to a team that is already hungry.

Will be like turning a Gator out on a house dog.

Never count out a team that has an emotional reason to play. Plus, new offense of which we have no film. Temper your expectations fellas.

Last edited:
The players are expecting to go out there and put their boot to the neck of Maryland and not let them get back up.
Watch them against Iowa State, Baylor and West Virginia last year.

Game could end up only 24-10.
Truthfully when you play like how Herman wants you drain the confidence from your opponent.

If UT can get any type of run game it makes the D even more dangerous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT