ADVERTISEMENT

****Offical Texas Baseball Thread****

In case anyone missed it.

Assistant coach Philip Miller has been reassigned.​

1B Gavin Kash has entered the transfer portal.​

Former Arkansas Pitcher Heston Tole is transferring to Texas.

In case anyone missed it.​

Assistant coach Philip Miller has been reassigned.​

1B Gavin Kash has entered the transfer portal.​

Former Arkansas Pitcher Heston Tole is transferring to Texas.​

Oh snap we are getting a pitcher from Arky that is interesting, we had another pitcher leave as well and is going to aggy

Word is Aaron Nixon is going to end up at Arky.
Gavin Kash is leaving because he doesn't think that he'll get much playing time. Sounds like Pierce is going to play others in front of him. Kash had a .174 average this year.

Apparently Pierece is going to hire former Baylor head coach Steve Rodriguez as hitting coach. Would appear to be a really good addition but the real test is going to be who is the pitching coach.

This tells me that Pierce is an average recruiter
Meh, ranking baseball players is next to impossible. Sure you have some sure thing guys but they normally go to the draft out of high school. So you are left with sorting out thousands of players who are all pretty close in talent (with some exceptions). Pierce has done excellent in the transfer portal to fill spots.

Meh, ranking baseball players is next to impossible. Sure you have some sure thing guys but they normally go to the draft out of high school. So you are left with sorting out thousands of players who are all pretty close in talent (with some exceptions). Pierce has done excellent in the transfer portal to fill spots.
Yea, I. can buy that. I was a little too quick to criticize. Let’s see what the new staff he is assembling can do.

This. The reason AGs teams struggled to hit is most of the bats he recruited were top 50-75 picks and never played college baseball.

That said, there still is a science to recruiting/scouting guys that project. You’re gonna be wrong a lot. Just be wrong less than the other guy.

And lastly, you’re correct. Once you get past the top 30 or so, it’s just a bunch of 2-3 tool guys

Drew Gilbert from Tennessee is going first round. He was a 35th round pick in HS. Just an above average HS kid that wasn’t very big but could run and had a terrific arm. Developed power in college.

Point is, he was a guy DH is describing. Just another left handed hitting fast HS kid with a good arm

What was Tulo’s coaching resume?
Yeah but Pierce’s job didn’t really depend on Tulo being a good coach… Woody Williams success or lack of will determine David Pierce status has head coach. So going with a guy who hasn’t been a pitching coach at a high level before is… risky shall we say.

Yeah but Pierce’s job didn’t really depend on Tulo being a good coach… Woody Williams success or lack of will determine David Pierce status has head coach. So going with a guy who hasn’t been a pitching coach at a high level before is… risky shall we say.

The volunteer spot isn’t a throw away man. It 100% absolutely matters. They’re full time coaches.

Reactions: Hoookem722
Do you know anything about Woody Williams?
I know he was a pretty successful big league pitcher and that the extent of his coaching expierence is at a much lower level. I don’t discount the idea that he might work out very well, but just think Pierece needed more of a “sure thing” and less of a “maybe”. I would put Woody in the “maybe” category just because he hasn’t done it at this level.

The volunteer spot isn’t a throw away man. It 100% absolutely matters. They’re full time coaches.
Never said it didn’t matter. I said the program would of been successful weather Tulo was good or not. He ended up being good and elevating the program. This pitching coach hire is make or break for Pierece

I know he was a pretty successful big league pitcher and that the extent of his coaching expierence is at a much lower level. I don’t discount the idea that he might work out very well, but just think Pierece needed more of a “sure thing” and less of a “maybe”. I would put Woody in the “maybe” category just because he hasn’t done it at this level.

The guy going to LSU is a maybe. Moving from Big League arms to college arms is quite a chang

The arms San Jac get are not shit, lol. They get top quality arms that need refinement.

I’ll bet 15 pitchers have been drafted in the 6 years Woody was there.

Woody might suck, but he’s more than capable. There is no sure fire hire.

Reactions: horn wild
Never said it didn’t matter. I said the program would of been successful weather Tulo was good or not. He ended up being good and elevating the program. This pitching coach hire is make or break for Pierece

One would argue the growth in the lineup from last year to this was a make for DP.

The offense saved DPs job. And Tulo was a big influence.

Come on now.

The guy going to LSU is a maybe. Moving from Big League arms to college arms is quite a chang

The arms San Jac get are not shit, lol. They get top quality arms that need refinement.

I’ll bet 15 pitchers have been drafted in the 6 years Woody was there.

Woody might suck, but he’s more than capable. There is no sure fire hire.
He’s not moving from the big leagues down to college. The twins got him from the university of Arkansas. He’s already developed college pitchers in the SEC. He was about as sure a thing as you could of gotten.

He’s not moving from the big leagues down to college. The twins got him from the university of Arkansas. He’s already developed college pitchers in the SEC. He was about as sure a thing as you could of gotten.

I’m well aware of Wes and his resume. He’s terrific, but not a sure thing. Nobody is. That’s my point

While Wes was going through the ranks of small college, Woody was figuring out how to get MLB hitters out with below avg velo.

You’re acting as though Woody has zero experience and minimal knowledge of the position.

I’m well aware of Wes and his resume. He’s terrific, but not a sure thing. Nobody is. That’s my point

While Wes was going through the ranks of small college, Woody was figuring out how to get MLB hitters out with below avg velo.

You’re acting as though Woody has zero experience and minimal knowledge of the position.
Having a good playing career doesn’t make one a good coach. Woody Williams had a very good big league career. As a coach he is unknown. Doesn’t mean he will be bad. I was just hoping David Pierece would go with someone that has a track recored of actually developing pitching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT