ADVERTISEMENT

****Offical Texas Baseball Thread****

Having a good playing career doesn’t make one a good coach. Woody Williams had a very good big league career. As a coach he is unknown. Doesn’t mean he will be bad. I was just hoping David Pierece would go with someone that has a track recored of actually developing pitching.
15 pitchers drafted in 5 seasons sounds like a pretty damn good start on a "track record" for developing pitchers to me.

Having a good playing career doesn’t make one a good coach. Woody Williams had a very good big league career. As a coach he is unknown. Doesn’t mean he will be bad. I was just hoping David Pierece would go with someone that has a track recored of actually developing pitching.

Sigh. Obviously being good in one area doesn’t always translate in any profession

6 years developing arms not enough? Much of the end of Woody’s career was as a veteran leader. He was offered jobs in minor league baseball when he retired.

Guys like Wes are not out there. LSU lucked out, nothing more. That said, moving from that level back down has risks too.

Last time we went JUCO route it turned out alright.

You're skeptical and rightly so. But this is about as good a hire as one could want. And it’s certainly an upgrade.

291629217_577827620381561_5824936422814173344_n.jpg

I'm happy for the guys that got drafted. This team had the talent to win the CWS the last two years, but fell short. That said, this team is gutted and next year will be a down/rebuilding year. Texas needs to knock it out of the park with recruiting to replentish the depth on the roster.

Reactions: RoboCocks21
I'm happy for the guys that got drafted. This team had the talent to win the CWS the last two years, but fell short. That said, this team is gutted and next year will be a down/rebuilding year. Texas needs to knock it out of the park with recruiting to replentish the depth on the roster.

Texas had the 18th ranked class mostly due to amount of recruits. I think they lost at least one to the draft. Gonna have to hit that transfer portal again.

Ya, we had the #1 class last year. What happened to that class? If Pierce misses post season, he is in trouble. He has grossly underperformed.

Ya, we had the #1 class last year. What happened to that class? If Pierce misses post season, he is in trouble. He has grossly underperformed.
In Augie's first 5 seasons at Texas he made it to regionals twice and the CWS once and went 0-2.
I think he turned out to be a pretty decent hire in the long run right?

In Augie's first 5 seasons at Texas he made it to regionals twice and the CWS once and went 0-2.
I think he turned out to be a pretty decent hire in the long run right?

DP ain't Augie. However, he went and hired a pitching coach with experience and showed he can make moves if needed.

Steve Rodriguez has a wealth of quality experience, but dang I hated to lose Tulo.

It's been too damn long since Texas won a natty in baseball. Time for these boys to get shit done. Don't care how young they are. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

We don't really have much in terms of pitching except for Gordon who was decent last year. Also lost Melendez who's bat won't be replaced. Might be a rough year.

Hopefully T Witt will be back soon. Think we lost L Harrison for the year due to Tommy John issues/surgery. I’m excited about having Mr Williams as our pitching coach. Hoping for good things in that area.

In the modern day with the transfer portal, there is no excuse for any coach to cry about his/her team being young. It's a problem of their own choosing. Pierce is expected to make the CWS or he has failed.

Oh man, now you’re bringing your negativity over to the baseball team?
I'm just going to throw this out there--

The first college world series was 1947. There have been 75 of them. Texas has gone to 38 of them. That's more than half the time. So..... ya.... Texas is pretty much supposed to go to the CWS or its an off year.

Reactions: freeper and westx
I'm just going to throw this out there--

The first college world series was 1947. There have been 75 of them. Texas has gone to 38 of them. That's more than half the time. So..... ya.... Texas is pretty much supposed to go to the CWS or its an off year.

I'm not sure I'd call it a failure if Texas doesn't make Omaha. It is certainly a disappointment. Now, if Texas goes 2-3 years without going, then that is 10000% a failure.

Reactions: Hoookem722
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT