ADVERTISEMENT

Official CWS Thread

All in all not to bad of a year! Yes we have high expectations but where we started to where we went was not too bad. Could never figure out why our road record could get turned around. Maybe focus just not sure but here’s looking to next year.
Hookem!
Oh yea all you miss piggy fans can go back to your own site now. If you have one.

I don't follow UT baseball but I follow the threads about UT baseball on here. It appears that our team was up and down all year. But we managed to get together at the right time and make it to the CWS. And it feels great to beat the cow college in a regional final.

Obviously we didn't get the results we wanted. But of all the sports at the University of Texas only fb has more tradition than our baseball program. It's mind boggling that we've only had 5 managers in 107 years. Think about that for a minute. And it appears to me that David Pierce is the man for the job. I'm certain that he will come again to Omaha and finish the job.

HookemHorns.

We had a year that was up to our standards. When you've been to half of all the college world series ever, that becomes your standard. Once you get to Omaha, it all comes down to getting hot..... and we didn't.

I don't follow UT baseball but I follow the threads about UT baseball on here. It appears that our team was up and down all year. But we managed to get together at the right time and make it to the CWS. And it feels great to beat the cow college in a regional final.

Obviously we didn't get the results we wanted. But of all the sports at the University of Texas only fb has more tradition than our baseball program. It's mind boggling that we've only had 5 managers in 107 years. Think about that for a minute. And it appears to me that David Pierce is the man for the job. I'm certain that he will come again to Omaha and finish the job.

HookemHorns.

Well, looky there. Looks like Florida just got done dispatching the Horns from their short stay in Omaha. Guess you guys will be back here soon and salve your disappointment by calling us names again.

Come on sweet meat, didn't your parents teach you manners there in hog heaven or do you make a practice of going to your neighbors house and taking a dump on their front porch. I mean, most people would come out and rub your nose in it so don't act surprised when it happens here.

Last edited:
Reactions: brushycreekhorn

Agreed. I had high hopes, of course, but minimal expectations that this team would do much in the CWS, especially in our bracket. This team overachieved considerably to win the Big 12 outright and to advance to the CWS, and those results alone have made this a very memorable and enjoyable season. Both achievements seemed extremely unlikely after the first few weeks of the season.

More than anything, this unexpectedly and prematurely strong season is an indicator of a strong chance of great things to come under Pierce.

Obviously we didn't get the results we wanted. But of all the sports at the University of Texas only fb has more tradition than our baseball program.

Respectfully disagree here. Texas baseball puts Texas football to shame, historically speaking. The baseball program is the most accomplished in college baseball history; Texas is arguably at the bottom of the list of eight blue bloods in football.

Great season. Our baseball team exceeded expectations. Hopefully coach Pierce can ride this to a banner recruiting cycle.
I hope Kody Clemens comes back. He needs to put on just a little more weight-still has a boy's body. I also have high hopes for Hamilton-He will be the total package next year. I don't know very much about our pitchers and who is coming back or who is expected to shine next year, but maybe a fellow Orangebloods can elaborate. Chase Shugart is one of my favorite players as well.

Agreed. I had high hopes, of course, but minimal expectations that this team would do much in the CWS, especially in our bracket. This team overachieved considerably to win the Big 12 outright and to advance to the CWS, and those results alone have made this a very memorable and enjoyable season. Both achievements seemed extremely unlikely after the first few weeks of the season.

More than anything, this unexpectedly and prematurely strong season is an indicator of a strong chance of great things to come under Pierce.

Respectfully disagree here. Texas baseball puts Texas football to shame, historically speaking. The baseball program is the most accomplished in college baseball history; Texas is arguably at the bottom of the list of eight blue bloods in football.

You know that I think about you're probably right. Like I said above 5 managers in 107 years. Can any team in any sport, at any level claim that. I doubt anybody else can say this.

Pfft...pfft....pfff...BWAAAAHAHAHAHA!
My god man, you're making the aggs look smart!
We should adopt a new policy on this board.... when the trolls invade, just disengage. They are seeking the most basic of human needs--- the thing that their parents denied them at a young age....... attention. By engaging them, you're feeding into that primal, basic need for attention that they've so lacked all their child and adult lives. We should carry on as a group of men that interact with each other.... instead of acknowledging these lost and desperate people. They can't be better...... but WE can.

What say ye my mans?

We should adopt a new policy on this board.... when the trolls invade, just disengage. They are seeking the most basic of human needs--- the thing that their parents denied them at a young age....... attention. By engaging them, you're feeding into that primal, basic need for attention that they've so lacked all their child and adult lives. We should carry on as a group of men that interact with each other.... instead of acknowledging these lost and desperate people. They can't be better...... but WE can.

What say ye my mans?

Why is it that one of your own claims (out of the blue - NO ONE had mentioned this subject before he did) that Texas Track is superior to Arkansas Track (and he did, clearly); then I point out that our Track program has won 41 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS since 1972, and ask him if Texas has won any . . . yet I am the troll? What about him making the biggest ignorant dumb ass statement in the history of fan boards like this (GuaranteedFresh!, who appears to be 2300 Feces' "mini-me", is not far behind, because he was mocking my claim without, obviously, looking it up and seeing that I'm 100% correct. Find me another program in any collegiate sport that is more dominant over a 30 to 40 year period. Here's the proof: http://dora.uark.edu/fedora/repository/uark:1964/OBJ )

Answer - he is a fellow Fallopian tube fan, so ANYTHING HE SAYS is disregarded and ignored by the soylent orange cult around here.

And you guys insult other fan bases . . . when Texas fans are universally acknowledged to be among the least sports savvy and most arrogant in the country.

The University of Texas is a fine educational institution. But Longhorn fans are a joke.

This is a fun thread. Texas has a great record in baseball over the years. 36 appearances I heard. How many college World Series has Texas won?

Probably no one from the dark side here to read my comments, as you're likely too engrossed in the second baseball lesson you're receiving in Omaha from an SEC school right now . . . (on second thought, most smart fans . .. and that's an oxymoron for you Horns . . . have probably bailed on the game by now).

If and when you DO read this, I'm sure the first wail will be to call me a coward for coming over only after we had beaten you to gloat, etc. And you'd be wrong. I didn't come to gloat; I just came to read the melt-down and get a good laugh.

But after reading some of your trash, I'm not going to troll . . .but I WILL set you straight on a couple of things.

For you to compare the UT Track program, in ANY way, to Arkansas' in a manner other than groveling and admitting shame over Texas' inadequacy in that area is nothing short of criminally insane. Ha ha ha . . . "Track and Field . . . .Texas 45 SWC Championships, Pork chop 8". Well, where do I begin? First off, I don't know, AND I DON'T CARE how many SWC Track championships that UT has. But I do know that Arkansas Track is arguably THE most dominant program inn all of college football sports. And we won 38 SWC Track Championships: 23 in Cross Country, 12 Indoor and 8 Outdoor. After that, in the 26 years we've been in the SEC, which is much more competitive top to bottom than either the SWC was or the Big 12 is, we've notched another 15 in Cross Country, 22 Indoors and 13 Outdoors. So, your count is a LITTLE off . . .

But that's nothing really. How many National Championships do you have in Track, Longhorn? Any (not talking about your women - Men's titles only, please)? Well, we've got 41. That's right, 41 Natty's in Men's Track, ALL earned since 1972. If there is a more dominant stretch in any sport over a 45 year period, I'd like to hear about it.

You've lost all credibility, 2300 feces. You wail and name call, but the bottom line is that you're a whinny bitch who can't stand a little ribbing when it's not the Horns turn to win.

Well, looky there. Looks like Florida just got done dispatching the Horns from their short stay in Omaha. Guess you guys will be back here soon and salve your disappointment by calling us names again.

Calling him 2300 feces? Seriously? Trash talking is one thing but calling him that is extremely childish. Which begs the question are you a man or in the 5th grade? But I wouldn't expect anything less from an AR fan. I went to many TX/AR games in Memorial Stadium and you remind me of the AR fans who came to the games drunk and crude.

Second, in paragraph 4 you said AR track was the most dominant program in the history of college football sports. Really? College football sports? Not even an aggie has ever written something like that and believe me that's saying a lot.

And as far as who's better in track 41 titles in 47 years I doubt it. The NCAA would have put you on probation a long time ago. Anybody that does something like that breaks a lot of rules and as I said gets put on probation.

And as far as track and the University of Texas goes. Track and field athletes from the University of Texas have represented their country with great accomplishments at the Olympics for as long as I can remember. I didn't watch 2016 but in the 2012 London games UT athletes did exemplary. You talk about your success in distance races. In the London games Leonel Manzano ran the mile and 1500 races. In the 1500 he won the silver. And in the women's sprinting races our Sonja Richards Ross won numerous gold medals. She's also won of the best known women's t&f athletes in the country. And don't try to posture that you've never heard of her. I don't even care how many titles you say AR had won. The University of Texas had always represented themselves well in t&f both in college and the Olympics and that's good enough for me.

And naming the Frank Broyles award for the best asst. coach has always been a mystery to me. If Broyles had so many geniuses how come he lost 9 out of 10 to Darrell Royal? And all in all Broyles was 5/14 against Coach Royal. This makes me wonder if Broyles and all these geniuses couldn't beat Texas than Coach Royal must have been the Albert Einstein of college fb. And Mike Campbell his dc who was with him his entire tenure should be made a posthumous member of Mensa for outsmarting these allegedly brilliant coaches. Oh and btw Broyles fired Lou Holtz and Joe Gibbs. That didn't turn it very well for Broyles did it? Oh and before you mention Barry Switzer know this. In 49 states there will always be a debate if Barry Switzer was a great coach. Think about that one although I doubt that you will.

And if you get eliminated in Omaha than it really won't matter what AR ends up doing. The great UCLA basketball coach John Wooden once said they don't remember who finished second.

Bye now.

Reactions: brushycreekhorn

What say ye my mans?

I'll give it a try.

What say ye my mans?

I'm good with this!

What say ye my mans?
I......can't......resist......

Why is it that one of your own claims (out of the blue - NO ONE had mentioned this subject before he did) that Texas Track is superior to Arkansas Track (and he did, clearly); then I point out that our Track program has won 41 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS since 1972, and ask him if Texas has won any . . . yet I am the troll? What about him making the biggest ignorant dumb ass statement in the history of fan boards like this (GuaranteedFresh!, who appears to be 2300 Feces' "mini-me", is not far behind, because he was mocking my claim without, obviously, looking it up and seeing that I'm 100% correct. Find me another program in any collegiate sport that is more dominant over a 30 to 40 year period. Here's the proof: http://dora.uark.edu/fedora/repository/uark:1964/OBJ )

Answer - he is a fellow Fallopian tube fan, so ANYTHING HE SAYS is disregarded and ignored by the soylent orange cult around here.

And you guys insult other fan bases . . . when Texas fans are universally acknowledged to be among the least sports savvy and most arrogant in the country.

The University of Texas is a fine educational institution. But Longhorn fans are a joke.
Good lord I hope ya'll can run like the wind because you sure as hell can't put together a sentence that makes sense. Obviously comprehension isn't one of your strengths either because at no point did I ever dispute a single statement. Take a mydol and go read the sentence of yours I quoted. Maybe you can then inform us of which college football sport track & field belongs to.

Very proud of our baseball team. The talent level was subpar, and definitely not in the top 8. The fact that we put up big fights late in the year and dispatched Texas A&M, Indiana, Tex Southern, and Tenn Tech was impressive. Big wins, peaking at the right time. Getting to Omaha was definitely not expected and really nice to see from this team. The culture has improved, and I really think Coach has been great and making matchups and in-game adjustments.

It's unfortunate the season ended as it did, because in the right environment I really think we could've beaten both Arkansas and Florida. We outplayed Arkansas in pretty much every inning except for that one dismal Armageddon-like showing. Our bullpen, which had been stellar in regional and super-regional play, just completely fell apart and cost us one mortal inning against Arkansas. To make things worse, for some reason our bats didn't make the trip to Omaha. The team really seems to feed off Kody's energy, and he just couldn't figure it out. Perhaps the writing was on the wall when you check our schedule results all season away from Disch-Falk. I was worried we might not be able to play with the same tenacity outside of Austin, and looks like that was correct. It would've been really fun to see that same passion at the CWS, to see Kody blasting hits like he had all June, to see the other batters hit with enthusiasm, and to see our relievers pitch with the same focus. But for some reason, we just couldn't put all the pieces together. I saw enough to believe in Coach though, and with a more talented and more consistent roster, there's no reason we can't be right back here next year and fight farther.

Congrats to the other teams at the CWS, they definitely played better than us when it counted and took advantage of our mistakes.

Hook 'em.

I hope Kody Clemens comes back. He needs to put on just a little more weight-still has a boy's body. I also have high hopes for Hamilton-He will be the total package next year. I don't know very much about our pitchers and who is coming back or who is expected to shine next year, but maybe a fellow Orangebloods can elaborate. Chase Shugart is one of my favorite players as well.

The future of Texas baseball looks bright

With only a handful of players selected in the MLB Draft and a talented incoming signing class, the Horns are well positioned to make another postseason run in 2019.

No one expected the Texas Longhorns to make it to Omaha, especially not after a 9-9 start, but after a remarkable postseason run and favorable results from the 2018 MLB Draft, the future looks bright for head coach David Pearce and his program.

“There’s nobody in this room and nobody in this country expected this team to be here,” Pearce said after Tuesday’s loss to Florida. “And they did a heck of a job from the start to finish, from the fall ball into early spring. The things that they had to accomplish to get here is incredible.”

Now the foundation is set — reliever Josh Sawyer was the only player on the roster with a previous appearance in Omaha, but now all the returnees know what it takes to reach the biggest stage in college baseball.

Pearce and his staff can move forward with the confidence that their approach works after experiencing success at a program with the highest expectations.

Perhaps departing first baseman Jake McKenzie said it best.

“I mean, we have a good recruiting class coming in next year. We’re only going to get better from here.”

There will be some challenges, however.

Superstar second baseman Kody Clemens will likely sign with the Detroit Tigers in the coming days, and weekend starters Nolan Kingham and Chase Shugart will almost certainly join him in leaving the Forty Acres for professional baseball. Pitcher Simeon Woods-Richardson, a Longhorns signee, already inked his professional contract with the Mets.

That’s in stark contrast to last season, though, when the Horns were hit hard by the MLB Draft — 15 players and signees were selected, with all but one opting to pursue a professional career. The junior college signee who did make it to campus, reliever Donny Diaz, underwent Tommy John surgery last fall and missed the 2018 season.

So, other than Clemens and McKenzie, the rest of the starting lineup should be back and receive some help from a talented signing class that looks poised to only lose one member to the major leagues.

Key returning contributors
Shortstop David Hamilton — With an excellent glove and speed to burn, Hamilton helped maximize those tools as a sophomore by improving his batting average by 73 points and showing much more power than he did as a freshman. By controlling the strike zone better, he also improved his on-base percentage. A similar jump during Hamilton’s junior season is probably unreasonable, but even if he improves incrementally, he’ll be one of the better all-around shortstops nationally.

Designated hitter Zach Zubia — The former Tulane signee will continue to work on developing his glove enough to play first base. Even if that doesn’t happen, the big questions is whether Zubia can carry Texas offensively with an increase in his power numbers. While he finished second on the team with 11 home runs, he profiles as a player who could double that number.

Catcher DJ Petrinsky — The junior college transfer was a revelation for the Horns after he joined the program late, committing last June. Behind the plate, Petrinsky improved tremendously during the season, while also coming through at the plate by slugging nine home runs. Somewhat surprisingly, Petrinsky wasn’t drafted at all, so he’ll have a chance to continue his development on the Forty Acres.

Infielder Masen Hibbeler — Pearce loves Hibbeler for his desire to play and ability to quickly learn new positions. A return to the middle infield, however, could help his hitting, as he won’t have to expend his time and mental energy learning to play first base or left field, which were new positions for him. As a result, Hibbeler is a strong candidate to emerge as one of the team’s best hitters, but he would benefit from reducing his strikeouts, as he finished second on the team in that category.

Outfielder Duke Ellis — The other junior college transfer who emerged as a key player hit .390 in conference play and provides value with his speed and overall bat-handling ability. However, he struggled in center field, so if he’s on the field, it’s going to be at a corner spot that typically produces more power. As much of a knock as that is, it’s unlikely to cost him a starting role.

Position battles
Now that McKenzie is going pro in something other than sports and Clemens is almost certainly going doing so in baseball, the two open positions are in the infield. Ryan Reynolds could slide over to first base, Hibbeler has experience there, and Zubia could develop his glove enough to see more time in the field. Though Hibbeler did play some first base this year, he’s most likely to play a more natural position for him in second base.

A priority for Pearce will be adding more power to the lineup overall, but especially at the corner positions — losing the 24 home runs of Clemens makes that a necessity. So a freshman like Alec Carr could break into the lineup somewhere like third base because of his ability to drive the baseball in addition to hitting for average and stealing some bases. Peter Geib is another candidate who has more experience playing corner positions and could also lend some power to the lineup, as well as Bryce Reagan, a switch hitter who can play virtually anywhere in the infield.

If Reynolds can’t improve at the plate, he could be the odd man out, but there’s also a solid bar to clear defensively for those freshmen if they want to take his spot.

How much pop Pearce can get from his corner infielders could influence his decisions about the outfield. If Hibbeler moves back to the infield, Texas will have one open spot in the outfield, but in reality, Tate Shaw will face some competition to keep his starting spot, so the only job that seems at all secure in the outfield is that of Duke Ellis.

In the freshman class, Korey Holland should challenge for a starting role with his pure talent and Alex Kennedy can provide some speed. Among returning players, Austin Todd had his season derailed by injuries, but still has some upside despite hitting .216 this season. While the staff will likely continue working with Kamron Fields at the plate due to his athleticism, his future is probably as a pitcher after going hitless in 12 at bats in 2018.

Searching for weekend starters
The key limiting factor for next season’s team could be the starting pitching. All three weekend starters struggled with their consistency and couldn’t match the pure stuff of the pitchers Texas faced in the College World Series.

Even with some impressive young arms arriving to help and some promising young arms, the reality remains that needing to develop players on campus into quality weekend starters and rely on freshmen is a tough recipe for high-level success.

Perhaps Blair Henley can put it together — he has quality stuff and certainly competed hard in Omaha, but he’s frustratingly inconsistent. Matteo Bocchi came on late and pitched extremely well in his start against Tennessee Tech, so maybe Pearce and his staff can mold him into a weekend starter.

Expect the freshmen to make an impact, including redshirt freshman Cole Quintanilla in his return from Tommy John surgery, as the Cedar Park product was electric as a junior with a 0.65 ERA. In the incoming class, Ty Madden and Jack Neely could both compete immediately to be in that mix. Pearce is especially high on the 6’9 Neely, who was vocal about letting major league teams know he’ll play for the Longhorns.

And quality relievers
There will also probably be some departures from the bullpen. Parker Joe Robinson is accepting a prestigious scholarship to go to law school, Andy McGuire will likely continue his career as an infielder in the Blue Jays organization, and Josh Sawyer was selected by the Cubs.

So the primary right-handed setup man is gone and the left-handed setup man and closer will most likely be gone.

A return from Tommy John surgery for Donny Diaz is big news, as he provides the type of velocity and quality that was missing last season. Fields should figure into the mix, as well, assuming that he doesn’t earn a starting role. The freshman class will fill in around the edges to provide more big pitchers with good velocity.

If Diaz can take control of the closer role as expected, Pearce should be able to fill in around the edges.

Now the hunger is activated
The basics are there — this team now understands what it takes to build chemistry, what it takes to compete hard for a whole season, and what it takes to reach the highest levels of college baseball.

Pearce thinks that will make his team push harder this offseason.

“When you get a taste of this, it makes you hungry. And what we’ll talk about here shortly is understand your own strengths, understand your own weaknesses and what do you have to do, first of all, to make the team next year,” Pearce said.

“Secondly, what do you have to do to be a role player, an everyday player? And this motivates you and this builds a culture of expectation from our program. And that’s the beauty of it. Their accomplishments were great, but what they’ve done for Texas athletics and Texas baseball is tremendous.”

Now the program will have an opportunity to build on that success.

Does anyone have a brief rundown of the incoming class? Who they are, what they do well, etc? Or provide a link to a signing day roster or something like that?

Lying coward. You only showed up after your team was in good shape and you felt confident enough it wouldn't blow up in your face. Had Texas held the lead, you never would've posted here.

Keep in mind, this series isn't over, and it could still blow up in your face like your squirter sister. At which point of course you will disappear.

Lol.. Wicked beat down of a troll. Wow I love this board sometimes.

I watched the ninth inning turned out to be the best inning of the game.

There they are they have yet to lose in the CWS so far. They won the first game in the best of three. Which brings us to the top of the ninth. There they are 3 to 2 a man on rhird with two outs and two strikes. Guess what Oregon State gets a base hit and ties it up. Give that Beaver kid credit he worked the pitcher for at least 8 pitches before he tied it up. And two pitches later the next guy hits a two run homer which turns out to be the winning runs. In the bottom of the ninth Arkansas got a single, a strike out and a double play to end it.

The only thing I can think of is that Oregon State and Texas have one thing in common. Orange is their primary color. You remember the SWC days when the team that wore Orange always seemed to have Arkansas number in fb. Remember how they would lose to Texas in spectacular fashion? Well tonight in the words of the great Yogi Berra it was deja vu all over again. And once again to a team that wears Orange. It would not surprise me if Oregon State wins tomorrow night it might be a blow out.

Arkansas vs the color Orange and when it really matters they lose hey it's tradition.

But you have to mention what happened before OSU tied it up. Two outs in the top of the ninth, and if someone just makes this exceedingly simple, routine play, Arkansas is the national champion.

It was so in the f*cking bag for Arkansas that ESPN had a "Dewey Defeats Truman" moment and posted this while the ball was in the air:

Dgv0AKAVMAA-1ed.jpg

Then OSU tied it up on a base hit. And then this happened:

Reactions: JHop6714
This thread has been gold, lol. I wonder how the arkie slaps are doing.

Arkansas is the premiere college T&F program in the country. Just as Texas is the premiere college baseball program and Alabama in football. Texas in swimming and diving, Hoops is a bit harder to pin down. What else? Golf? Wrestling?

Well, they still have tomorrow night, and I think they have the pitching advantage. But they'll have to undergo 24 hours of hell, at the very least. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT