ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL Playoff Argument Thread- Who's in and Why

Except beat the team with 4 top 25 wins and 11 in a row. Horns should get the nod over Bama.
Because of a win 3 months ago? Tell me what Texas’s best 4 wins are and compare those to Bama’s. That is Texas only win over a Top 25 team, my assumption after the new rankings are announced.

Reactions: LVPack
And Texas barely survived a crap ass Houston team and a KSU team that decided to go for the win instead of the tie.

Well, the Houston game was 6 weeks ago, and KSU was 4 weeks ago. How far do you wanna go back. All the way to Bama squeaking out a 3 point win against 4-8 Arkansas? Neither Arkansas, nor Auburn are ranked (KSU is ranked #19).

If you apply an argument to one team, you should apply it to the other.

This is why the playoffs should have always been 8 or 12 teams. This none of this will shit would have mattered.

Guys, there is ZERO chance Texas gets left out. Give the undefeated 1-3 and you have Texas, Bama, and Georgia. This isn't a 4, 5, and 6 scenario where you have to get into hypotheticals and some common opponent way down the rankings. The three played and the verdict is Texas>Bama>Georgia. That Bama team didn't look much different than the one we played before, ask Auburn. Georgia has been rightfully defacto #1 all season, though everyone could tell they were not as good, Bama just proved it. We're in and everything I have seen actually makes me confident of that.

Well, the Houston game was 6 weeks ago, and KSU was 4 weeks ago. How far do you wanna go back. All the way to Bama squeaking out a 3 point win against 4-8 Arkansas? Neither Arkansas, nor Auburn are ranked (KSU is ranked #19).

If you apply an argument to one team, you should apply it to the other.
KSU 19? They are 25th in the CFP and aren’t ranked in the AP.

Because of a win 3 months ago? Tell me what Texas’s best 4 wins are and compare those to Bama’s. That is Texas only win over a Top 25 team, my assumption after the new rankings are announced.

Texas and Bama both have 4 wins over ranked opponents. Bama’s best win is over #1 Georgia, and Texas’ best win is over Bama, who was #3 at the time and currently the team you consider to be the better of the two.

According to ESPN and Sagarin, the SOS’s are about even (only because Bama just played Georgia) and On3 has Texas with a much tougher SOS. On paper, Texas and Bama are pretty much even, but Texas owns the head-to-head.

If you want to talk about a quality win, Texas went into Tuscaloosa and beat Bama at home, which hasn’t been done by anyone since 2007…. Oh, and won by double digits.

Yes, Texas lost to a 10-2 okie team by 3 in a rivalry game we should have won. If you wanna compare losses, which is a metric I hate BTW, Texas still has the ‘better’ loss.

Comparing losses is inane, but if you really want to go down that road, Texas lost to a #12 team and Bama lost to a #11 team… Still pretty even on paper.

Last edited:
KSU 19? They are 25th in the CFP and aren’t ranked in the AP.

KSU was ranked #19 at the time. Who cares what the AP ranks anyone. They don’t matter.

At what point if time do you want to use a teams rankings, because Georgia won’t be #1 tomorrow. They won’t be in the top 5… According to your cherry-picking, Texas will have the better win than Bama.

Last edited:
EVERYONE has a oppion on ...well this team only won by this much..and this team barley won by that..and this team almost lost to blah blah blah

it ALL COMES DOWN TO THIS

HEAD TO MOTHA FVCKING HEAD

Texas wins.

Reactions: txleapd
The committee will convince themselves that Texas is now Sec anyway so they can still keep the Sec in the playoff. All good.

Coming into today's SOS by Power Ranking Gurus Texas #1 Bama #17 Georgia #58 FSU # 63 not sure this combined with the head-to-head leaves Texas out. Basically, It comes down to Bama v FSU for the 4th spot

The other elite bowl teams
We know that Michigan, Washington, and Florida State are in.
So that leaves Alabama and Texas and that makes 5. That leaves 7 open spots. Liberty gets the at large birth because those are the rules and that makes 6.
Oregon, Georgia, and Ohio State make 9.
Missouri makes 10.

I'm going to be pissed off if Mississippi and Penn State are the other two. A quality win over an LSU that's only ranked 15th. Alabama and especially Georgia beat their brains out on national tv.

Was Iowa ranked when Penn State beat them. Under James Franklin Penn State is 0/5 against top 5 teams and 4/19 against top ten teams. They can't put 4 SEC teams in the elite bowls can they? I imagine Penn State gets in anyway.

Believe it or not Oklahoma should go over Mississippi.
Find out in 12 hours.

Reactions: Archmadness
This goes to the point I made in the playoff argument thread.

If the argument is “it should be the best teams” in support of Bama, then FSU doesn’t deserve to get in. They are only where they because they’re undefeated. Not because they’re one of the best teams.

If the argument is “it’s the record that matters” in support FSU, then Bama doesn’t deserve to get in because Texas owns the head-to-head against them.

Either the on-field results matter, or they don’t. But it can’t be had both ways. Cherry-picking which metric to use to bypass Texas will also cause issues.
This take makes the most sense to me. The committee, even if they fail miserbly, should at least apply the standard consistently: IMO
“Best team” argument knocks FSU out.
“Most Deserving” argument knocks Bama out.
Texas is in by both metrics

I looked for Booger Mcfraland’s halftime (Lou/FSU) analysis, but couldn’t find a video. It was excellent and clear. He basically states you can’t use the “best team” analysis because the game is played on the field. He points to the Washington/Oregon game where UW won twice, but that Oreg was a favorite and would have been considered the better team until they played a 2nd time. It is worth your time to watch it if you can find it.

This take makes the most sense to me. The committee, even if they fail miserbly, should at least apply the standard consistently: IMO
“Best team” argument knocks FSU out.
“Most Deserving” argument knocks Bama out.
Texas is in by both metrics

I looked for Booger Mcfraland’s halftime (Lou/FSU) analysis, but couldn’t find a video. It was excellent and clear. He basically states you can’t use the “best team” analysis because the game is played on the field. He points to the Washington/Oregon game where UW won twice, but that Oreg was a favorite and would have been considered the better team until they played a 2nd time. It is worth your time to watch it if you can find it.
This is why I don’t see us being left out. We’re a lock the way I see it. The question for the committee is Bama or FSU. I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up at #3.

I can’t wait to come back at about 1130 this morning once Texas is in so you can finally STFU. Texas is 3-1 against current top 25 teams.

Last edited:
I’m calling it now. Here’s the top 4 CFP playoff spots according to my humble analysis:

Michigan
Washington
Texas
Bama

FSU is out based on overall performance, SOS, and the unavailability of key players. They’re certainly deserving to be in the CFP but they aren’t in the top 4 if they’re looking for the best 4 teams.

I’m calling it now. Here’s the top 4 CFP playoff spots according to my humble analysis:

Michigan
Washington
Texas
Bama

FSU is out based on overall performance, SOS, and the unavailability of key players. They’re certainly deserving to be in the CFP but they aren’t in the top 4 if they’re looking for the best 4 teams.
This is exactly how I think as well.

I don’t envy the committee they are in a tough spot.

If they leave Texas out and put Bama in they are saying head to head doesn’t matter.

If they leave Bama out they are leaving out one of the 4 best teams.

If they leave FSU out they are leaving out an undefeated power 5 team.

So it sucks either way. The reality is though FSU without Travis who they know isn’t coming back. Isn’t a top 4 team. May not even be a top 10 team

Reactions: Deweygolfer
I can’t wait to come back at about 1130 this morning once Texas is in so you can finally STFU. Texas is 3-1 against current top 25 teams.
After much deliberation, sleep and being told to STFU, My Final Four would be:

Michigan
Washington
Bama / Texas
Texas / Bama

Crazy year, a #1 has never dropped out after Championship weekend, an undefeated Power 5 has never been left out and the SEC has never been left out.

Remind me, who was that 1 loss against?

Not playoff related but Houston is going to hire Tulane head coach Willie Fritz… that’s a really nice get for them.

Texas beat Bama (8) and OkState (18) and we beat both by double digits.

The right thing to do is bama out. I don’t like it, because both they and Georgia are top 5 teams. But, this is the result of the actual play on the field. Whoever was stupid enough to make only 4 playoff spots knowing full well that there are 5 Power 5 conferences should man up and tell the SEC they are out. It isn’t hard when you filter out the noise and filter out the fear. Hell, these wimpy men need to have a woman do it if they are too scared.

The bottom line is that it is going to suck more than ever for a couple of teams. We know Michigan and Washington are in. I can see where Georgia would be pissed if they have won 29 in a row and lose 1 game in the SEC championship. Bama has totally changed since week 2, and they are a MUCH better team than they were. If I'm a Texas fan I would be pissed if you got left out. I could see every argument you would make and couldn't totally disagree with you. The committee has kept Texas ahead of Bama all the way through after week 2, so will they change now? Does the final game matter? Texas played a 3 loss Ok State team who had a defense ranked 120th nationally? Alabama just beat the number 1 team who hasn't lost in 29 games? Does that make Bama jump Texas? I don't know, but those are certainly going to be conversations. BUT, they have kept Texas ahead of them this whole time, so that could be something in your favor. I won't be pissed if Texas gets in because I can see the argument, but I do think Georgia and Bama are better RIGHT NOW, and I would certainly put Texas in over Florida St...AND I think they are better than Washington, but they simply won't jump them.

After much deliberation, sleep and being told to STFU, My Final Four would be:

Michigan
Washington
Bama / Texas
Texas / Bama

Crazy year, a #1 has never dropped out after Championship weekend, an undefeated Power 5 has never been left out and the SEC has never been left out.

Remind me, who was that 1 loss against?

Glad to see you’ve finally come around. I still don’t think FSU gets left out, because the CFP selection principals actually hurt Bama’s chances a lot more than help them.

…and we don’t need to remind you who we lost to. Y’all won. No excuses. We should have won, but we didn’t. No excuses. That game still pisses me off, but here we are.

Reactions: Deweygolfer
The bottom line is that it is going to suck more than ever for a couple of teams. We know Michigan and Washington are in. I can see where Georgia would be pissed if they have won 29 in a row and lose 1 game in the SEC championship. Bama has totally changed since week 2, and they are a MUCH better team than they were. If I'm a Texas fan I would be pissed if you got left out. I could see every argument you would make and couldn't totally disagree with you. The committee has kept Texas ahead of Bama all the way through after week 2, so will they change now? Does the final game matter? Texas played a 3 loss Ok State team who had a defense ranked 120th nationally? Alabama just beat the number 1 team who hasn't lost in 29 games? Does that make Bama jump Texas? I don't know, but those are certainly going to be conversations. BUT, they have kept Texas ahead of them this whole time, so that could be something in your favor. I won't be pissed if Texas gets in because I can see the argument, but I do think Georgia and Bama are better RIGHT NOW, and I would certainly put Texas in over Florida St...AND I think they are better than Washington, but they simply won't jump them.

Why does “Bama has changed since week 2” only apply to Bama? Has Texas not changed? If Bama has improved, why could Texas have not improved? Why does your reasoning apply to one and not the other? That’s pretty selective.

Why do head-to-head results not matter to you? Do you know to whom those results do matter? The selection committee. Head-to-head regulars is literally listed as #3 in their consideration principals.

Yes, Bama beat UGA yesterday. But, a week ago they needed a literal last second miracle to squeak by 6-6 Aurburn. Do you know what Texas did to the 6-6 team they played last week? Beat them by 50…. And we didn’t let them score 24 on us.

We could do this kind of argument all day, but if you objectively look at Bama and Texas this year, on paper we pretty damn even. It would be an extremely hard decision to make. Except for one thing…. Come on, you can say it. We all know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT