ADVERTISEMENT

Official Texas Football Spring Practice thread

That article is from February 2021. I believe he somewhat decommitted but is very likely to recommit.

strange that the # 1 recruit for the State of Texas would only be a 4 Star....
Yeah. If he had originally committed to Bama, probably would’ve become an instant 5*. Anyhoo, doesn’t matter to me. He’s a 5* talent in my book.

Reactions: freeper
Sark will figure it out in year two.
Honestly I feel he figured it out early last year but when you don't have the players you need, you have to survive a few years to get some of "your" guys to upperclassmen.

I think we'll be pretty good in the near future if he doesn't get run off for the next shiny object but for now we continue taking our lumps.

Honestly I feel he figured it out early last year but when you don't have the players you need, you have to survive a few years to get some of "your" guys to upperclassmen.

I think we'll be pretty good in the near future if he doesn't get run off for the next shiny object but for now we continue taking our lumps.
They were about 5-6 plays from being 8-4 last year instead of 5-7. Probably still going to be some growing pains this year but I think we upgraded the most important position on the field in QB. If I remember right we had the lead at halftime in all but 2 games? We just have to figure out how to close games.

He sure figured out he needed somebody like Patterson. That, in and of itself, gives me a lot of confidence.

They were about 5-6 plays from being 8-4 last year instead of 5-7. Probably still going to be some growing pains this year but I think we upgraded the most important position on the field in QB. If I remember right we had the lead at halftime in all but 2 games? We just have to figure out how to close games.
The lineman, for both sides of the line will determine your success. No matter who you have at qb. Cannot be lopsided with a weak defense. It just doesn't work, just look at Bob's last years with his brother callin the shots on D and then Riley's history and historical backdoor departure from the program that put him on the map. Why defense isn't more emphasized in cfb is beyond me. All I know is OU has a high energy defensive mind at HC who's been successful his whole career. I'm lookin forward to 10/8. 😁

We just have to figure out how to close games.
I think not having 350 lb DL guys that gas out before halftime will be a great help. The best news I have heard is that Coburn is down to 335 and said he wants to be 315 by this fall. If fatso Sweat will get on that same diet, we may have something.

y'all have to remember we had a shit ton of injuries AGAIN last year.Maybe we learn something from that.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
The lineman, for both sides of the line will determine your success. No matter who you have at qb. Cannot be lopsided with a weak defense. It just doesn't work, just look at Bob's last years with his brother callin the shots on D and then Riley's history and historical backdoor departure from the program that put him on the map. Why defense isn't more emphasized in cfb is beyond me. All I know is OU has a high energy defensive mind at HC who's been successful his whole career. I'm lookin forward to 10/8. 😁
I disagree. A&M had one of the best offensive lines in football last year and would have been a playoff team with better QB play. Great QB play covers up a lot of deficiencies.

Joe Burrow just took his team to the Super Bowl this year with maybe the worst offensive lines in the NFL.

I disagree. A&M had one of the best offensive lines in football last year and would have been a playoff team with better QB play. Great QB play covers up a lot of deficiencies.

Joe Burrow just took his team to the Super Bowl this year with maybe the worst offensive lines in the NFL.
I think it's the secret to Saban's success. I'm with ya though with the great qb play most definitely. If we had half a defense though in the 2018 Rose bowl, a season in which we had one of the best offensive lines in cfb, we would've beaten Georgia. I'm loving the Venebels hire for his experience and defensive mind which will be emphasized. God almighty with this class jumbo hauled in. Aggy is gonna expect results right out of the gate.

Been watching highlights here and there from spring practice and not trying to get excited at all (kansas, blowu....). I can say this we have a 3 headed monster in the backfield and maybe a 4th.

Word on the street has Card leading the QB battle so far. Hopefully it translates to gameday for whoever trots out.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Been watching highlights here and there from spring practice and not trying to get excited at all (kansas, blowu....). I can say this we have a 3 headed monster in the backfield and maybe a 4th.
I have heard Blue has impressed quite a bit thus far as well. Our RB room is in good hands for the near future. Now just imagine if we end up getting Owens.

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Word on the street has Card leading the QB battle so far. Hopefully it translates to gameday for whoever trots out.
As I expected to this point honestly. His familiarity with the offense is an advantage for sure. Can't wait to see both of them in the spring game.

Good to see how competition is bringing out the best in Card. However, I believe that he’s going to have to clearly separate himself from Ewers if he’s going to be QB1. If they end up even by the time we play the first game then Ewers will win the battle because of his higher upside.

Reactions: jsto60

I like Card. I like his mechanics and he throws a great ball. However, they didn't bring Ewers in for him to sit the bench behind Card. The coaches will sell it to both kids that the QB spot is up for grabs, but Ewers is the guy.

Not surprising given familiarity with the offense. One of his biggest limitations last year was confidence. In Fayetteville, he had a deer in headlights posture. Let’s hope he’s gained confidence from last year and his chest is puffing out. He certainly has the technical tools.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
This is Card's second year in Sark's system so he should look comfortable. Just remember that Card looked good in practice last year as well.

This is Card's second year in Sark's system so he should look comfortable. Just remember that Card looked good in practice last year as well.
He was a red shirt freshman. Big blunder by Sark. Bad percentage success rate for most freshman qbs. It didn't help his inexperience that we had one of the worst OLs in recent memory (which is pretty bad, since we haven't had a decent OL in a long damn time). By fall, he will of had 2 full seasons as a D1 qb. I will stick to my anti-freshman qb frame of mind for Texas and hope Card is our guy this fall. A better OL is expected (at least I hope) and another year of experience will serve him well.

Looks like Maalik Murphy dressed out for practice today. His first one of the year.

Frankly, I hope Card has the switch flipped and starts WOWing all the coaches and players. Then, if Ewers is "all that" and he puts his head down and works his ass off this summer to improve and take over the team with all that ultra talent I keep hearing about....we may have something. Card came here as a dual threat 5 * QB with a rocket arm. I can think of worse guys leading us.

Of course I hope that Ewers is everything we hope he can be. I just dont want anyone handed a job because of his HS clippings. This is not an Applewhite-vs-Simms situation because neither of these guys has shown anything yet on the field, but is is certainly somewhat similar and Mack fu*ked that one up.....

Who really knows? Just last week Cedric Golden reported that it was all Ewers and not to let the "competition is close" comments fool you. He gave it a 70/30 Ewers over Card.

Reactions: jsto60
Ewers is clearly better. Can chunk it. Card is being propped up by the staff for (what I believe) are competitive "reasons". Card can't make half the throws Ewers can.

But it doesn't matter because the only ppl that can catch are backfield. Our WRs are as sure handed as a capuchin dipped in astro-glide.

Our RBs might be the best in the country. "NOBODY TACKLES BJ!!!"..... can't get that kid hurt. But none of that matters if you can't block sunshine. And we can't block sunshine right now. OL has zero shadows.

Did I mention Ewers can chunk it?

Lot of empty set. All from the gun. RBs either line up or motion out wide. We haven't seen a lot of this on the 40.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT