ADVERTISEMENT

Official Texas Football Spring Practice thread

Aw c'mon man we're not that bad.
Kansas put 57 on us! I don't put anything past this defense after what I saw last year. And I really hate that because I know Pete K. is a damn good coach. He was consistently putting 4-5 guys a year in the NFL in his time at Washington. I really do think having Patterson is going to help the defense as a whole but I still think think they have some major holes.

Even a sucky D that's a little bit better than last years sucky D probly nets us 3 more wins alone. Surely the D this year is a little bit better right?

Kansas put 57 on us! I don't put anything past this defense after what I saw last year. And I really hate that because I know Pete K. is a damn good coach. He was consistently putting 4-5 guys a year in the NFL in his time at Washington. I really do think having Patterson is going to help the defense as a whole but I still think think they have some major holes.
From what I've read I'm not impressed by what I've read about the players. Besides we won't really know until the season starts and that's 5 months from now. The one thing that has impressed me is that GP appears to have fit right in which is great. All those annoying schemes he employed against us it drove me crazy and with good but not great players. He has more talent here let's hope this works for the best.

HookemHorns

Last edited:
Well everyone should know the news by now pre-season polls have us at 6....higher than blowu and aggy.....
I swear they do this on purpose to make Texas look bad when we "underachieve" again. It gives them more articles to write and tweet how Texas doesn't develop players and has locker room troubles, etc.. There is not way that anyone who seriously follows this team thinks we will be a top 10 team at the end of the year.

Reactions: freeper and westx
I swear they do this on purpose to make Texas look bad when we "underachieve" again. It gives them more articles to write and tweet how Texas doesn't develop players and has locker room troubles, etc.. There is not way that anyone who seriously follows this team thinks we will be a top 10 team at the end of the year.
They aren't even a top 25 team in my opinion. I don't get this one at all.

Why not all 5 they're already better than anyone we had out there last year 😂
I wouldn't be against it. Get all the growing pains out in the first 3 OOC games. Then be ready by conference play. Banks and Campbell are probably our starting LT and LG next season is my guess. Both guys can step in and be day 1 starters from everything I have seen on film. Hopefully Majors put a little weight on this offseason and is ready to make a jump at center.

I wouldn't be against it. Get all the growing pains out in the first 3 OOC games. Then be ready by conference play. Banks and Campbell are probably our starting LT and LG next season is my guess. Both guys can step in and be day 1 starters from everything I have seen on film. Hopefully Majors put a little weight on this offseason and is ready to make a jump at center.
Not arguing because you may be right. But, I sincerely hope that some upperclassmen step up and legitimately beat out any freshman O lineman. I do not want to see any true freshman starters on the OL. It concerns the hell out of me.

Not arguing because you may be right. But, I sincerely hope that some upperclassmen step up and legitimately beat out any freshman O lineman. I do not want to see any true freshman starters on the OL. It concerns the hell out of me.
I don't either, but from what I have seen from the guys last season I don't see anybody that is better than Campbell or Banks. It's very telling if a guy like Hutson can come in and immediately be a starter at RG as well.

Ehhhh..... you gotta be careful about that. Fatties that get whipped early--- that tends to stick with them. It's a VERY rare breed of offensive lineman that start as a true freshman that go on to have stellar careers. Remember about 10 years ago Luke Joekel and the Matthew's kid at aTm? Those two kids were phenoms. We ain't got that.

I think the main thing we will get from the freshmen is depth. I don't think they will improve us this year because they are too young and not ready but we need more guys for depth and they will help us with that. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two is starting but that doesn't mean they will a big upgrade. They will raise the floor of the team but not the ceiling this year.

Ehhhh..... you gotta be careful about that. Fatties that get whipped early--- that tends to stick with them. It's a VERY rare breed of offensive lineman that start as a true freshman that go on to have stellar careers. Remember about 10 years ago Luke Joekel and the Matthew's kid at aTm? Those two kids were phenoms. We ain't got that.
There's plenty of examples of the opposite though. One is Kenyon Green out of A&M, he's going to be a first round pick in this years draft. Same for Evan Neal out of Bama, he's likely a top 10 pick this year and also started every game since his freshman year. I could give more examples but you see where i'm going.

Campbell and Banks are easily as good as Matthews or Joekel were coming out of high school. Matthews was only a 4 star coming out of high school from what I remember. Joeckel was as well.

We just simply don't have enough talent at that position to let these guys sit a year if they are our best option (which I think they are).

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wha?? I just saw that we are predicted to finish 5th in conference. The predictors need to get their shit together.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...gs-oklahoma-oklahoma-state-baylor/7358417001/

Where did you see that ranking?

Espn: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...ball-rankings-espn-top-25-2022-preseason-poll
Baylor lost 21 of their 22 starters if I remember correctly. Iowa St. lost Purdy, Kolar, and Hall. Ok. St.'s defense lost something like 8 starters I believe. OU got hit hard with transfers and graduation. I really think we have a good shot at making some noise in the conference next year. I don't see us finishing worse than 4th with all the attrition the top teams from last year have experienced.

Call me crazy but i'm just not sold on Venables coming in and winning the conference in his first year. I just don't see it with their roster.

Baylor lost 21 of their 22 starters if I remember correctly. Iowa St. lost Purdy, Kolar, and Hall. Ok. St.'s defense lost something like 8 starters I believe. OU got hit hard with transfers and graduation. I really think we have a good shot at making some noise in the conference next year. I don't see us finishing worse than 4th with all the attrition the top teams from last year have experienced.

Call me crazy but i'm just not sold on Venables coming in and winning the conference in his first year. I just don't see it with their roster.

The thing about Iowa State and Oklahoma State is they have an established culture. And in OkSt's case it is a culture of significant wins. Aranda will have his dudes ready to roll. He's a damn good coach. Iowa State is kind of the same. Those are tough minded coaches with touch minded kids. They're gonna fight.

I'll wait and see what kind of nut sack our prima donna culture spits out this year before I get too excited.

The thing about Iowa State and Oklahoma State is they have an established culture. And in OkSt's case it is a culture of significant wins. Aranda will have his dudes ready to roll. He's a damn good coach. Iowa State is kind of the same. Those are tough minded coaches with touch minded kids. They're gonna fight.

I'll wait and see what kind of nut sack our prima donna culture spits out this year before I get too excited.
I think Sark has done a nice job of weeding the bad seeds out. Whether that translates to wins on the field is unknown at this point. The way I look at it is each of the top teams in conference from last season are sort of in a transition year with so much attrition to their rosters. This year could be the year we take the leap and win 9 games or so. Not saying we will but I don't think it's crazy to think that.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I think Sark has done a nice job of weeding the bad seeds out. Whether that translates to wins on the field is unknown at this point. The way I look at it is each of the top teams in conference from last season are sort of in a transition year with so much attrition to their rosters. This year could be the year we take the leap and win 9 games or so. Not saying we will but I don't think it's crazy to think that.

I want to agree with you, but......lol

ADVERTISEMENT