**Official TEXAS vs The fightin' Anderson Coopers thread of Robber Barons**

Hawgs are going to whip our asses unless the Mighty Quinn gets his groove back
Ok I’ll give you Ga game he was deer in headlights but came back and played a fairly decent 2nd half. The Vandy game though he played pretty damn solid. Despite comments that INTs were still his fault I disagree. Good plays by Vandy for sure but they weren’t the “threw it right to them throws.” Either way he threw for 288, 3 tds with solid TD throws. The 3rd and 20 was gorgeous. A critical game play.

So honestly, not trying to be a Quinn band wagon guy. What is it you think is bad about QE’s game against Vandy? He wasn’t the one holding multiple times, false starts, or letting blitzing LBs or edges come in wide open for sacks. He threw some beautiful balls and all the swing passes are not easy. Quick and on target every time. He also sat in the pocket like a pro and didn’t throw the big mistake like he did against Ga. What else should he do? Or is it that you just like Arch because you think he is a runner/scrambler?

I mean Vandy is Vandy but a pretty solid team. Upcoming coach. They did beat Alabama. Was that just a fluke?

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
Totally get where you're coming from. And yes- "survive" was my mantra last year. I posted that tropic thunder meme more times in here thatn it's probably ever been posted on Twitter.

BUT----- and here's where the but comes in-- we don't seem to have improved THAT much. And that's what gets you to the top. Improvement. Cool. Win all 15-16 games by 3 points and you're the national champs. I get it. I'll take it.
But right now- playing like we are playing, I'm not seeing a vast improvement over last year. Now, I'll grant you, Jaw Jaw is down, Bama is down, Ohio st is down. Meatchicken is WAY down. But you know who HAS improved?
Oregon has improved.
Aggy has improved.
BYU has improved.
Notre Dame has improved since game 2.
Miami has REALLY improved.
I expected to see us make similar strides and it just looks like we aren't. Oh, our defense is good. Really, really good. And but for a couple of injuries- we may be looking at a top 10 all time Texas program history style defense. And that's good enough to win a title.

But offensively, I'm not seeing it. Yes, I know, we lost out best running back. We've got banged up WRs. But welcome to football.
We need to start showing improvement on our offensive line. We need Ewers to stop making stupid gunslinger side arm throws. We need our play calling to stop being predictable in the 2nd quarter.
We should be getting better. But it doesn't look or feel like we are.
#SURVIVE...AGAIN...

Ok I’ll give you Ga game he was deer in headlights but came back and played a fairly decent 2nd half. The Vandy game though he played pretty damn solid. Despite comments that INTs were still his fault I disagree. Good plays by Vandy for sure but they weren’t the “threw it right to them throws.” Either way he threw for 288, 3 tds with solid TD throws. The 3rd and 20 was gorgeous. A critical game play.

So honestly, not trying to be a Quinn band wagon guy. What is it you think is bad about QE’s game against Vandy? He wasn’t the one holding multiple times, false starts, or letting blitzing LBs or edges come in wide open for sacks. He threw some beautiful balls and all the swing passes are not easy. Quick and on target every time. He also sat in the pocket like a pro and didn’t throw the big mistake like he did against Ga. What else should he do? Or is it that you just like Arch because you think he is a runner/scrambler?

I mean Vandy is Vandy but a pretty solid team. Upcoming coach. They did beat Alabama. Was that just a fluke?
You know they could run the table the rest of the way and end up 9/3.

No, the 2 ints are not "bad pass" throws. His release point might be a contributing factor considering he seems to get passes tipped more than the average rate.

I'm far from being a fan boy of any one player but I believe this season completely depends on QEs performance. Manning is very promising & will shine next year.

The one knock I have on QE is that he tends to freeze up when blitzed. If the defence isn't dialing it, Ewers will carve up anyone. Look at the difference in halves last night. Vandy sat back in zone the 1st half & Ewers ate their lunch underneath. 2nd half, they brought the disruption and Ewers went something like 50/50.

He's still a young buck & hopefully backs up a veteran in the league for a couple seasons while he develops.

More of my random thoughts:
I am all for holding QE accountable. So many 1-2 yard out passes. But how is it that Sark has helmet communication every play and doesn’t bother to mandate that Quinn force a down field pass to keep the D from constantly creeping towards the LOS. I am sure they are watching the secondary from above and keeping tabs on tendencies of the DBs. Are we all giving Sark a complete pass (no pun intended). I don’t necessarily understand the workings of all of the communication from press box to Sark to QE, but it can’t be that complicated.

If not for a bonehead roughing the passer/targeting call we probably win by 17. Last time I checked Quinn doesn’t play on the DL.

I’m also all about mojo and voodoo. If you naysayers don’t stop you’re going to cause a disruption in the space-time continuum. Then it will be on you.

More of my random thoughts:
I am all for holding QE accountable. So many 1-2 yard out passes. But how is it that Sark has helmet communication every play and doesn’t bother to mandate that Quinn force a down field pass to keep the D from constantly creeping towards the LOS. I am sure they are watching the secondary from above and keeping tabs on tendencies of the DBs. Are we all giving Sark a complete pass (no pun intended). I don’t necessarily understand the workings of all of the communication from press box to Sark to QE, but it can’t be that complicated.
I think I saw that Ewers was 3-8 for passes OVER 5 yards.

I think I saw that Ewers was 3-8 for passes OVER 5 yards.
You’re the expert here. Do you think it’s Sarks game plan? I’d also point out 2 of those 3 were nice touch TDs and the 3rd was the 3rd & 20. Seems like this is what Sark wants. Keep things consolidated and let your playmakers YAC. Also seems like Sark is designing a scheme to minimize sacks, concerning.

Okay I know QE is no Tom Brady but that guy used to drive me nuts dink and dunking all game long and then on occasion would bust the deep one.

Last edited:
You’re the expert here. Do you think it’s Sarks game plan? I’d also point out 2 of those 3 were nice touch TDs and the 3rd was the 3rd & 20. Seems like this is what Sark wants. Keep things consolidated and let your playmakers YAC. Also seems like Sark is designing a scheme to minimize sacks, concerning.

Okay I know QE is no Tom Brady but that guy used to drive me nuts dink and dunking all game long and then on occasion would bust the deep one.
From my untrained eye and flawed understanding, it's mostly how defenses are playing us and some of Sarks offense.

Many defenses are all about denying the homerun and forcing offenses to consistently make mistake free short plays down the length of the field. The more plays a team does per possession, the more opportunities of creating a turnover, & more clock gets burned.

This is also PKs defensive philosophy, hence why we rarely send the house.

Sarks offense is getting the ball to playmakers in motion and allowing them to create. Quinn is actually making the right choices (mostly) until the pocket is squeezed or breaks down. Then it's a coin flip on what happens.

From my untrained eye and flawed understanding, it's mostly how defenses are playing us and some of Sarks offense.

Many defenses are all about denying the homerun and forcing offenses to consistently make mistake free short plays down the length of the field. The more plays a team does per possession, the more opportunities of creating a turnover, & more clock gets burned.

This is also PKs defensive philosophy, hence why we rarely send the house.

Sarks offense is getting the ball to playmakers in motion and allowing them to create. Quinn is actually making the right choices (mostly) until the pocket is squeezed or breaks down. Then it's a coin flip on what happens.

Agreed. I saw a LOT of single high safety with 2 safeties playing those half spaces in between the numbers and hash marks....with that one dude very high over the top. When you have that, you have to get creative in your route combinations and you have to really prep the QB to read quick progressions. That isn't happening. Some of our route combinations are as vanilla as can be and QE is terrified to get hit much of the time. We don't create enough confusion with our route combos. The OL is not playing up to the hype and because of that, the run game is suffering. Doesn't help we are missing the two thunder backs (Baxter and Gibson)

Reactions: westx
Agreed. I saw a LOT of single high safety with 2 safeties playing those half spaces in between the numbers and hash marks....with that one dude very high over the top. When you have that, you have to get creative in your route combinations and you have to really prep the QB to read quick progressions. That isn't happening. Some of our route combinations are as vanilla as can be and QE is terrified to get hit much of the time. We don't create enough confusion with our route combos. The OL is not playing up to the hype and because of that, the run game is suffering. Doesn't help we are missing the two thunder backs (Baxter and Gibson)
We won’t be able to use two deep safeties against Arkansas and A&M because of their ability to run the football. We’re going to have to make them throw the football and force our DBs to play more man coverage. Stopping the run will be a priority against those teams.

We won’t be able to use two deep safeties against Arkansas and A&M because of their ability to run the football. We’re going to have to make them throw the football and force our DBs to play more man coverage. Stopping the run will be a priority against those teams.
Apparently LSU doesn't know how to defend a read option against a running QB. It's criminal how unprepared they were for that.

Apparently LSU doesn't know how to defend a read option against a running QB. It's criminal how unprepared they were for that.
That was clearly a lack of preparation by the coaching staff. They obviously had no defensive game plan in place for Reed. That’s the kind of incompetence that gets coaches fired. No excuse for that.

Reactions: weevilcatch
That was clearly a lack of preparation by the coaching staff. They obviously had no defensive game plan in place for Reed. That’s the kind of incompetence that gets coaches fired. No excuse for that.
Yep. meanwhile A&M thinks Reed will be that effective every game now. The only success they have had on offense is when they switch QBs with out the other team being able to game plan for the other. You have to be prepared for both because you will probably see both if the first one is not being productive.

Not an expert- but I'm flattered. If I'm a DC I come out daring Ewers to throw it deep from the get go. I haven't seen him throw a consistent ball with serious accuracy in a little while.
Now maybe he burns my ass twice before I yank my head out of it- but maybe he wastes a couple of downs leading to punts or maybe I pick one off.
But if my strategy is "let him dink and dunk me to death" Well, Ewers has proven he can do that..... 17 times in a row.
What's scary- and what should scare the living sh!t out of every Texas fan is Ewers pocket presence. He is regressing. He stepped up once into contact. Yes, he completed the throw-- but it was like saying you picked up the ugliest girl at the bar. Sure, you got laid- but if you end up with herpes, what was the point?

He just not moving in the pocket like he should. He just seems off. Is he gun shy about his oblique injury? Maybe. Does it hurt to torque and throw on the run? Maybe. He's bailed out early on many a slide since returning-- costing us much needed yardage. A smart QB slides late and tries to draw contact to pick up the 15 yard flag. He is sliding at the first hint of being crowded.
I know this- if I'm aggy- I'm dialing up backside corner and safety blitzes until I put him in the hospital. He just can't sense that, for some reason. Tackle needs to yell "BAIL" or something. Dudes are coming untouched.

Reactions: DHHorn
Not an expert- but I'm flattered. If I'm a DC I come out daring Ewers to throw it deep from the get go. I haven't seen him throw a consistent ball with serious accuracy in a little while.
Now maybe he burns my ass twice before I yank my head out of it- but maybe he wastes a couple of downs leading to punts or maybe I pick one off.
But if my strategy is "let him dink and dunk me to death" Well, Ewers has proven he can do that..... 17 times in a row.
What's scary- and what should scare the living sh!t out of every Texas fan is Ewers pocket presence. He is regressing. He stepped up once into contact. Yes, he completed the throw-- but it was like saying you picked up the ugliest girl at the bar. Sure, you got laid- but if you end up with herpes, what was the point?

He just not moving in the pocket like he should. He just seems off. Is he gun shy about his oblique injury? Maybe. Does it hurt to torque and throw on the run? Maybe. He's bailed out early on many a slide since returning-- costing us much needed yardage. A smart QB slides late and tries to draw contact to pick up the 15 yard flag. He is sliding at the first hint of being crowded.
I know this- if I'm aggy- I'm dialing up backside corner and safety blitzes until I put him in the hospital. He just can't sense that, for some reason. Tackle needs to yell "BAIL" or something. Dudes are coming untouched.

He is regressing. It's alarming.

I hope he is just in a srump and will snap out of it and start seeing the game slow down again.

He is regressing. It's alarming.

I hope he is just in a srump and will snap out of it and start seeing the game slow down again.
He is either injured and is favoring his injury or he is not injured but is paranoid about getting injured again. Either way he is avoiding contact and is trying to protect his body. All great QBs get lit up sometimes but still stand in the pocket and deliver the ball knowing they are about to get creamed. He's just not tough enough. I wish he had Ehlinger's toughness and confidence to go along with his arm.

Welp I guess I'll take the W. Vandy is good but not this good ...we played like ass
Go ask Bama if they think Vandy is good? They were a top 25 team for a reason. Any conference win on the road is a good one. Enjoy it. It ain't always going to be pretty.

Totally get where you're coming from. And yes- "survive" was my mantra last year. I posted that tropic thunder meme more times in here thatn it's probably ever been posted on Twitter.

BUT----- and here's where the but comes in-- we don't seem to have improved THAT much. And that's what gets you to the top. Improvement. Cool. Win all 15-16 games by 3 points and you're the national champs. I get it. I'll take it.
But right now- playing like we are playing, I'm not seeing a vast improvement over last year. Now, I'll grant you, Jaw Jaw is down, Bama is down, Ohio st is down. Meatchicken is WAY down. But you know who HAS improved?
Oregon has improved.
Aggy has improved.
BYU has improved.
Notre Dame has improved since game 2.
Miami has REALLY improved.
I expected to see us make similar strides and it just looks like we aren't. Oh, our defense is good. Really, really good. And but for a couple of injuries- we may be looking at a top 10 all time Texas program history style defense. And that's good enough to win a title.

But offensively, I'm not seeing it. Yes, I know, we lost out best running back. We've got banged up WRs. But welcome to football.
We need to start showing improvement on our offensive line. We need Ewers to stop making stupid gunslinger side arm throws. We need our play calling to stop being predictable in the 2nd quarter.
We should be getting better. But it doesn't look or feel like we are.
All of those teams you just listed have had at least 2 stinker games as well.

Oregon need a last second TD to beat Idaho and Boise State.

Aggy barely snuck by Bowling Green and struggled with Mississippi State last weekend.

BYU struggled to beat a terrible Oklahoma State and Baylor.

Notre Dame lost to Northern Ilinois and struggled to beat an average Louisville team.

3 of Miami's last 4 games have been 1 score games and none of those teams were ranked.

Point is, Texas has it's flaws, but i've watched a lot football this year and I have yet to see a team without flaws. There isn't a truly elite team this year like there has been in years past. With the new playoff system all that matters is getting into the playoff and peaking at the right time. This team is perfectly capable of winning the whole damn thing. Just keep winning whether it's by 1 point or 100.

This is just a new age of college football that I think we have to get used to with NIL. Parity is at an all time high and it really feels like anybody could beat anybody on any given Saturday.

I think people have this illusion that it's Vandy and they just aren't very good. And that's just not true at all with this years Vandy team. They are scrappy as hell and I wouldn't be surprised if they knock another top 25 team off before the year is over.