ADVERTISEMENT

OT: We got any gun enthusiasts up in here?

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
Just curious how many posters own/shoot/carry and what your favorites are. I have a few pistols, rifles etc. and have found the older I get, the more involved in buying and shooting guns that when I was younger. Right now I'm on a handgun kick and just bought a Walther PPQ M2 and I've got to say, it's one of the smoothest(probably the smoothest) stock handguns that I've ever shot.

I'm more of a hunter. My favorite centerpiece is a reminder 700 .I bought it at closeout in1984. It's a mountain rifle rebarrelled in 30/06. I've probably killed at least 25 large furry animals with it. 4 fitted shotguns. 5 .22 rifles. Etc. I'm a member of New Braunfels Schuetzen Version, the oldest shooting club in the US.

Reactions: Belldozer1
These days I just hunt birds with a Browning super posed. I gave myson my rifle which was a Sako 243. I paid 240.00 for it with a Leopold 3 x 9.....incredible gun. all you had to do was show it what you wanted to hit....game over I once shot a coyote at 357paces offhand, running.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Mostly a hunter with shotguns and rifles, to many to name. However, I inherited a WWII Jap machine gun that my great grandpa took as a souvenir. To get it back into the states they welded it shut. It's pretty amazing, has to be around 75-100lbs. I've never weighed it though.

We do have some out of town members that drive in for shoots.
How long you been in NB. My family moved here when I was a kid 1979. I live on the North side about a mile and a half outside Gruene up 306 towards Canyon Lake

yeah....but the trigger action on a S&W wheel gun is so damned buttery smooth that if you have only shot autos up to that point, you simply cannot believe it, I dont care how much your competition model auto cost.

Besides....if you carefully select an area to shoot it with clear ground behind you for 20 or so yards, you can usually find it (along with your hand) back there somewhere.

You would enjoy shooting my .500 S&W. Big bore wheel guns will test your grip.
.44 mag seems enough gun for a handgun to me. If I need more power, I want a shoulder stock and an 17" barrel. Incidentally, I killed a hog Saturday night with a suppressed .44 rifle and a night scope. Subsonic hand loads. Like shooting a .22, except at the other end.

Reactions: oldhorn2
For years my favorite was my 7mm STW. I've taken pretty much every large animal in the lower 48 with that rifle (no moose or brown bear). Once i got through my "shoot an elk at a half mile" phase, i switched over to long distance shooting. The muzzle velocity on that round is just insane. I got to the point i was shooting out past 800m and was loving the thrill of long range shooting.....THEN, i got to hang around some dudes that did long range shooting for a living..........and i don't mean silhouette shooting......and one of these dudes let me fire his .338 Lapua.

I fell in love. So my dumb a$$ goes and pays for one to be made for me with a McMillan stock and a Cheytac action, along with a few other cool tweeks, and uber bad ass zeiss optics. Trust me when I tell you that once you start hitting what you're aiming at that's 1000+ meters away, you do get aroused. Its a sense of accomplishment and oddly relaxing at the same time. You learn to focus on your breathing, relax your body....its almost like meditating. I usually sleep like a baby after a few hours of distance shooting. It teaches you to be patient.

Reactions: freeper
I'm a 6.5 fan for long distance shooting and have it in multiple loads. Pinging steel plates at distance is fun, but I'm not much of an advocate for long distance hunting. I was always a quarter bore fan growing up and have killed WT to Elk with the 25-06 which is still my go to for some reason.

If you love the 7mm STW Clob, you would love my Nosler 26.

.44 mag seems enough gun for a handgun to me. If I need more power, I want a shoulder stock and an 17" barrel. Incidentally, I killed a hog Saturday night with a suppressed .44 rifle and a night scope. Subsonic hand loads. Like shooting a .22, except at the other end.
My first big bore wheel gun was a BFR .454 Casull, I graduated to .460 and sold the Casull do to the fact I can shoot 44 long colt, .454 casull and .460 out of one revolver. The .500 was an impulse buy and it's fun to watch people shoot.

For the most part, the only thing I shoot suppressed with subs is 300 blk (BOLT and AR). Occasionally, I'll run some subs through the .308. Although, I run suppressors on all of my rifles these days.

Last edited:
My first big bore wheel gun was a BFR .454 Casull, I graduated to .460 and sold the Casull do to the fact I can shoot 44 long colt, .454 casull and .460 out of one revolver. The .500 was an impulse buy and it's fun to watch people shoot.

For the most part, the only thing I shoot suppressed with subs is 300 blk (BOLT and AR). Occasionally, I'll run some subs through the .308. Although, I run suppressors on all of my rifles these days.
Penetration is a function of momentum. Mass x velocity. To get penetration at subsonic velocity (1050 fps) you need greater mass (300gr). Recoil is a function of kinetic energy (1/2mv squared). So high velocity projectiles cause dramatically higher recoil.

I only hunt pigs with subs, head shots are prefered.

220's from my 9" SBR in 300 BO is deadly with thermal

Last edited:
Spur...wish I had known you 16 years ago. You could have hunted all the pigs you wanted on my ranch and I wouldnt have cared daylight, dark, cannons. flame throwers, poison darts or naked pics of Hillary.....anything that would have been lethal

I'm a 6.5 fan for long distance shooting and have it in multiple loads. Pinging steel plates at distance is fun, but I'm not much of an advocate for long distance hunting. I was always a quarter bore fan growing up and have killed WT to Elk with the 25-06 which is still my go to for some reason.

If you love the 7mm STW Clob, you would love my Nosler 26.
I've fired the 26 before. Fast load, 3400 fps. At one point I had my 7mm stw up to 3600 fps and even with a fluted, stainless steel bulldog barrel, that sob would get so hot you couldn't touch it after a few rounds.

My brother is getting a couple of 6.5 with cans put on them for my nephews. I tried to convince him to go with the .308 and the cans but he likes that 6.5 more.

Once upon a time, but they all sunk with my boat on the way to the Bahamas.

Wow, I can sympathize. I used to own about a month's worth of firearms. Sadly they went to the bottom of Lake Tahoe when the boat we were on tragically capsized in 1200' of water...

Reactions: TexExSpur
Godz...I did have standards....I wouldnt allow a full frontal Hillary pic cause that would tear em up too bad....

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
Wow, I can sympathize. I used to own about a month's worth of firearms. Sadly they went to the bottom of Lake Tahoe when the boat we were on tragically capsized in 1200' of water...
Sooooo lemme get this straight....... @TexExSpur loses all his guns when a boat sinks on the way to the bahamas..... you need to do better than "big brother" because i dont even know if guns are allowed in the bahamas..... were you shipping them to Norman Cay around 1981? Some of ya'll will get that joke and some will have to google it.....

And @freeper lost his in a boat in Tahoe..... i has confuse..... why ya'll loading all your guns up and putting them on boats? Freeper, were you invading Reno?

Sooooo lemme get this straight....... @TexExSpur loses all his guns when a boat sinks on the way to the bahamas..... you need to do better than "big brother" because i dont even know if guns are allowed in the bahamas..... were you shipping them to Norman Cay around 1981? Some of ya'll will get that joke and some will have to google it.....

And @freeper lost his in a boat in Tahoe..... i has confuse..... why ya'll loading all your guns up and putting them on boats? Freeper, were you invading Reno?

LOL, private residence. Never made it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT