ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic head coaches for Texas.

If we hired Christobal, we would have no concerns about recruiting OL and Oline play.

IMO, failure to recruit and coach Oline play is the single biggest failure of the CS and TH tenures.

Our Oline hasn't been good since 2009
Yep and as I’ve said in other threads I’m big on expierence, and he has a lot of it. Starting a program basically from scratch at FIU, them working for Saban, and now winning at Oregon. That type of thing gets you ready for a big job

Eventually we are going to have to start evaluating the other deficiencies in this program.

Why does RoJo play the way he does compared to our other players? If all of the mistakes and lack of execution are on the coaches, why is RoJo immune to it? When I watch us play, I see players making mistakes that should have been drilled out of you in high school. I see plays that are there to be made, we just don't make them.

If we hired Christobal, we would have no concerns about recruiting OL and Oline play.

IMO, failure to recruit and coach Oline play is the single biggest failure of the CS and TH tenures.

Our Oline hasn't been good since 2009
Agreed 100%. Our inability to establish a running game is a major problem. Not to mention Tech was getting pressure rushing 3 men last week. Losing out on Brockermeyer was a huge loss for this program as well.

1A - Meyer
1B - Cristobal (perhaps more realistic yet could be just as successful)
  • He's known for running a disciplined program - think about that for a moment. He's playing with all of the Nike money but he doesn't run a country club. Could be his O line and Alabama background.
  • Recruits love him. He grabbed the #1 DE in CA a couple of years ago, Kayvon Thibodeaux, away from USC and a highly rated O lineman from Alabama, Penei Sewell. He's recruited other highly rated O lineman and D lineman.
  • Oregon isn't a blue blood but he's successfully navigating the pressures that come with the Nike money.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I’ll throw out a name that would be a long shot, but certainly a headline grabber.

Sean McVay. At 34 he’s already been a head coach in the NFL for 4 years, been to a super bowl if he makes the playoffs this year he will of made it 3 of 4 years.

Why would he leave the Rams? Well he’s in the toughest division in the NFC and the rams have handed out a lot of big deals and traded a lot of draft picks for success right away. In a salary cap league you eventually have to pay the price for that.

in 20 years we will be talking about Mcvay the same way we talk about Urban, Reid, Saban, etc today. And if he were to ever move to college ball he’d be a Rock star like Meyer, and Saban are. I don’t know if he’d come but man I’d put the offer on the table. I just looked it up in his original contract he was making 2 million a year. Before the 2019 season he signed a contract extension. Let’s say he’s making 4 million now. Texas or any other major program would double that easy.

Last edited:
Mario Cristobal
Bryan Harsain
Urban Meyer
Chris Peterson
Tony Dungy (not really)
Josh Heupel
Justin Fuente
David Shaw
Dave Aranda
Mike Gundy
Luke Fickel
Gary Patterson
Gus Malzahn

Guys that should be on our list, but won't be:

Brent Venables
Pat Narduzzi

Matt Campbell
Chris Klieman
Jalen Deboer
Matt Leberfus
Ken Norton Jr.
Brian Daboll
Eric Bienemy
Greg Olson

Pete Carroll

Fixed it for you.

Oh, I'd add John Harbaugh and Kyle Shanahan. Also add Kirby Smart to my list.

Reactions: diadevic
Fixed it for you.

John Harbaigh was possible a couple years ago. He’s got a legit window at a 2nd super bowl for the next 3-5 years he isn’t going anywhere.

Kirby Smart doesn’t have reason to leave UGA. He’s an Alum and it’s a top 5 program.
Shanahan maybe but I doubt it.

Fixed it for you.

So you want to take all of those guys off the list and add 3 guys that wouldn't even apply?

I assume that leaving Matt Campbell was a mistake, because you crossed out the names of 4-5 more accomplished coaches.

We shoulda got Leach!
Arkansas is why you don't get Leach. For every major program who he becomes a thorn in the side, he will lose at least one game per year he should win, and his history shows that his teams largely get dominated by the best teams in conference. I love his PCs now...while he coaches at a 6-8 win school that we don't have to prepare for annually. I would absolutely HATE that Schtick at Texas, because it would come with the same 6-8 wins annually.

Last edited:
Arkansas is why you don't get Leach. For every major program who he becomes a thorn in the side, he will lose at least one game per year he should win, and his history shows that his teams largely get dominated by the best teams in conference. I love his PCs now...while he coaches at a 6-8 win school that we don't have to prepare for annually. I would absolutely HATE that Schick at Texas, because it would come with the same 6-8 wins annually.
Yep Leach is a better version of Herman.

Reactions: HuffTex
Arkansas is why you don't get Leach. For every major program who he becomes a thorn in the side, he will lose at least one game per year he should win, and his history shows that his teams largely get dominated by the best teams in conference. I love his PCs now...while he coaches at a 6-8 win school that we don't have to prepare for annually. I would absolutely HATE that Schtick at Texas, because it would come with the same 6-8 wins annually.

He like to beat Arky,,,Ist year in SEC, might surprise ya, he's a QB whisper I tell ya that, ask MaHomes...and hes a no BS recruiter...Best thing that happen to Tech and they F him off.... if he just lost 1 game at Texas, then I would be ok with that over what we have now..

He like to beat Arky,,,Ist year in SEC, might surprise ya, he's a QB whisper I tell ya that, ask MaHomes...and hes a no BS recruiter...Best thing that happen to Tech and they F him off.... if he just lost 1 game at Texas, then I would be ok with that over what we have now..
He did NOT beat Arkansas on Saturday, a program that is in horrific shape. He was gone from Tech at least 3 to 4 years before Patrick Mahomes ever went there, so I have no idea how you tied those 2 together. Mahomes played for Kingsbury, not Leach. Leach coached teams have won 10 games just twice in his HCing career. We wouldn't be any better off than we are right now. We might even be worse on defense.

We need a real coach.

1. A guy that is not a politician.

2. Keep Bellmont out of football.

3. Elite bag game.

4. No coddling of players or parents.

5. Win now mentality, See elite bag game.

6. Get rid of the woke crap.

This team is soft and entitled.

Tom Herman is a neutered basset hound.... my proof? He's not allowed to yell at referees during the game. Bellmont Hall is a greater problem than many understand. Bellmont fears the alumni and to a lesser extent Texas fans. They cannot control the negativity on the net and twitters. When we get pissed, it costs them money. They have to dig deep into the BMD group and come up with funds to pacify the masses until their controlling policies aimed at the new coach cause the same crap to occur four years down the road.

I am close to bailing on this crap. I see it. I know Clob understands this dynamic. It's getting tiresome.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
Shanahan is an interesting thought but my fear is that he wants to follow in Daddy's foot steps too much. Daddy has two rings and as far as Kyle's overall record as a head coach goes, he's right at .500–-- 27-27.

Can he shake the NFL bug like Pete Carroll did? Maybe. He's 40. He's got a long career ahead of him and spending 10 years in college may give him perspective.
But does he want a rebuild of momma? I can't speak to that. I do know that when Momma calls, you always take the call. I know Kyle would take the call. There's no doubt that Kyle would take the call. Hell, he would probably even fly down for a round table.

But I don't know that he can shake that NFL bug, even for Momma.

Reactions: LonghornMM
We need a real coach.

1. A guy that is not a politician.

2. Keep Bellmont out of football.

3. Elite bag game.

4. No coddling of players or parents.

5. Win now mentality, See elite bag game.

6. Get rid of the woke crap.

This team is soft and entitled.

Tom Herman is a neutered basset hound.... my proof? He's not allowed to yell at referees during the game. Bellmont Hall is a greater problem than many understand. Bellmont fears the alumni and to a lesser extent Texas fans. They cannot control the negativity on the net and twitters. When we get pissed, it costs them money. They have to dig deep into the BMD group and come up with funds to pacify the masses until their controlling policies aimed at the new coach cause the same crap to occur four years down the road.

I am close to bailing on this crap. I see it. I know Clob understands this dynamic. It's getting tiresome.
Cristobal would be great here - see my post above. O line mentality to the coaching position. The question is whether he would say “F that” to the Belmont dynamic and stays put.

Shanahan is an interesting thought but my fear is that he wants to follow in Daddy's foot steps too much. Daddy has two rings and as far as Kyle's overall record as a head coach goes, he's right at .500–-- 27-27.

Can he shake the NFL bug like Pete Carroll did? Maybe. He's 40. He's got a long career ahead of him and spending 10 years in college may give him perspective.
But does he want a rebuild of momma? I can't speak to that. I do know that when Momma calls, you always take the call. I know Kyle would take the call. There's no doubt that Kyle would take the call. Hell, he would probably even fly down for a round table.

But I don't know that he can shake that NFL bug, even for Momma.
Couple things about Shanahan. He’s one of those guys that’s better than their recored. He and John Lynch had to clean up after they forced our harbaugh and hired 2 losers as HC. So his first couple years he took a whipping.

Pete Carroll never really shook the NFL bug. He just was happy at USC until the job came around that he really wanted. When that came he was back in the league. Shanahan could do the same thing. He could coach at Texas for 10 years and still only be 50

Does it even feel like RRS week to anyone? I don’t know about y’all but who wouldn’t be excited to get to drive thru fair park and get your picture taken with Big Tex while staying in your car

and Drive up window Corn Dogs!

Pete Carroll was happy at USC until the NCAA came around, not the NFL....Had USC not gotten all those restrictions(damn near got the death penalty) he would have stayed at USC forever. ....

Does it even feel like RRS week to anyone? I don’t know about y’all but who wouldn’t be excited to get to drive thru fair park and get your picture taken with Big Tex while staying in your car

Bell, the only thing that makes this game interesting is the fact that each teams coaching staff has to be DESPERATE for a win. I dont know if OU has lost 3 in a row since the John Blake era, and I think ole Tom has figured out that if his team looks crappy 3 weeks in a row in what was supposed to be his championship year, his seat will be smoking hot!

The rest of the B12 is probably giddy with the delima

Reactions: Belldozer1
Pete Carroll was happy at USC until the NCAA came around, not the NFL....Had USC not gotten all those restrictions(damn near got the death penalty) he would have stayed at USC forever. ....
Maybe. I think part of him always wanted another crack at the NFL. He really didn’t get a fair shake his first run with the Jets and Pats

Bell, the only thing that makes this game interesting is the fact that each teams coaching staff has to be DESPERATE for a win. I dont know if OU has lost 3 in a row since the John Blake era, and I think ole Tom has figured out that if his team looks crappy 3 weeks in a row in what was supposed to be his championship year, his seat will be smoking hot!

The rest of the B12 is probably giddy with the delima
You’re right and I’m not giving Riley any wiggle room for excuses. 5 million + a year and your team needs to be operating like Alabama does. When was the last time a Saban team lost a regular season game to a truly inferior opponent? Don’t see a whole lot of missed tackles and sloppy play at a Bama game and last but not least, Saban has no problem getting in a players ear if he needs it. His players sure as hell respect his ass too.

Maybe. I think part of him always wanted another crack at the NFL. He really didn’t get a fair shake his first run with the Jets and Pats
He was a rock star in LA. Courtside seats to the Lakers, behind home plate at the Dodgers, could roll right up into Spago and Wolfgang Pucks and get a table any time he wanted with no wait. Rumor was that he had a permanent bungalo at the Chateau Marmont in Beverly Hills. Dude was living life. There was zero reason to leave USC for an NFL job in dreary Seattle unless the NCAA was about to make your life a living hell.

Leach didn't recruit or coach Mahommes.

Mike Leach is a con-man. 4 non-conference games against The Lighthouse for the Blind and .500 in conference equals 8-4.

That's the guy everyone fawns over. Puts up 65 points and gives up 80.

Leach didn't recruit or coach Mahommes.

Mike Leach is a con-man. 4 non-conference games against The Lighthouse for the Blind and .500 in conference equals 8-4.

That's the guy everyone fawns over. Puts up 65 points and gives up 80.
There’s some truth in this I’ve always viewed Leach as a 8-4, 7-5 type of guy with the occasional 10 wins every 10 years or so. But he is a character and he can sure upset some teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT