ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic head coaches for Texas.

He was a rock star in LA. Courtside seats to the Lakers, behind home plate at the Dodgers, could roll right up into Spago and Wolfgang Pucks and get a table any time he wanted with no wait. Rumor was that he had a permanent bungalo at the Chateau Marmont in Beverly Hills. Dude was living life. There was zero reason to leave USC for an NFL job in dreary Seattle unless the NCAA was about to make your life a living hell.
There was no reason for Spurrier to leave Gainesville, no reason for Butch Davis to leave Miami for Cleveland, no real reason for Ruhle to leave Baylor. Saban didn’t need to leave LSU Some guys just want to prove they can win in the pros to. Coaches especially the good ones are wired different.
If Urban goes to Texas or SC it’s going to be for no other reason than he just wants to show he can win anywhere the elite coaches are just wired differently

There was no reason for Spurrier to leave Gainesville, no reason for Butch Davis to leave Miami for Cleveland, no real reason for Ruhle to leave Baylor. Saban didn’t need to leave LSU Some guys just want to prove they can win in the pros to. Coaches especially the good ones are wired different.
If Urban goes to Texas or SC it’s going to be for no other reason than he just wants to show he can win anywhere the elite coaches are just wired differently
Accurate post.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
Urban Meyer gets it. He understands the problems underlying Tom Herman’s Texas Longhorns.

The problem lies in developing NFL talent, despite Texas’ top-ranked recruiting classes.

“[The Longhorns] haven’t had many players drafted,” Meyer said on Fox. “That’s fine. The average viewer can say, ‘OK, that’s the what.’ But let’s dig deep, lift up the hood and say why — it’s evaluation process and it’s development of the player. If the NFL Draft doesn’t start showing more Texas Longhorn players every spring, it’s going to be the same old story.”

Indeed.

Reactions: dailybuck777
The sad part is this.........with all the money and facilities that Texas has there should never be a question of "who do we realistically have a shot of landing"......
We should be Bama level but we aren't. Even at our top with Mack we weren't at the Bama level. Who wouldn't go to Bama?

Texas isn't what we want it to be right now, but I wonder if its ever been as dominant as we think it is in our minds. Yes it's been a bad week in this part of the world and the TCU game pushed me over the edge............

The sad part is this.........with all the money and facilities that Texas has there should never be a question of "who do we realistically have a shot of landing"......
We should be Bama level but we aren't. Even at our top with Mack we weren't at the Bama level. Who wouldn't go to Bama?

Texas isn't what we want it to be right now, but I wonder if its ever been as dominant as we think it is in our minds. Yes it's been a bad week in this part of the world and the TCU game pushed me over the edge............

The academics are your problem. They are leeching off the football team. It should be reversed. I would go into it more but there are some sensitivities here.

What do Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt, Gary Patterson, and David Shaw all have in common?

Yep. If you didn’t watch a down of college football and then watched the draft you’d walk away with a pretty good idea who had a good year last year in college football.

Reactions: EWNHorn
I still think we need to keep Dabo on our list. Everyone says he would never come, but in 2013 he offered to come here and bring his whole staff with him. We were too smart to fall for that trick then, but we are not that smart anymore.

I still think we need to keep Dabo on our list. Everyone says he would never come, but in 2013 he offered to come here and bring his whole staff with him. We were too smart to fall for that trick then, but we are not that smart anymore.
That was 70+, four playoff appearances w/two nattys and an NC game loss ago. He ain't comin', and it's debatable if we'd shell out another Saban to Texas contract to get him here even if he would. Admin doesn't want to win that badly. Dabo is Bama's to lose if he'd ever leave.

Reactions: clob94
The academics are your problem. They are leeching off the football team. It should be reversed. I would go into it more but there are some sensitivities here.
Are you saying the admin is happy with the Stanford, Michigan, Berkeley model? 7-10 wins a year and maybe compete for a title every 10-20 years if we catch lightning in a bottle, but protecting the academics (and endowment) come first.
Can you elaborate? I for one always welcome your thoughts.

Are you saying the admin is happy with the Stanford, Michigan, Berkeley model? 7-10 wins a year and maybe compete for a title every 10-20 years if we catch lightning in a bottle, but protecting the academics (and endowment) come first.
Of course they are. Look man, it's money driven and the reason we have as much money as we do is simple.

Oil.

And now these progressives running the school feel guilty about being rich because of oil, and also know that there are huge ties between the oil money loving people, and the football loving people. And a crap athletic program is a way to stick it to the oil money people. Don't kid yourself, there are people at the helm of this school that if they had the power to do so, would spend every bit of our billions trying to run the school on unicorn farts and rainbows. The others feel guilty about having all the evil oil money, but aren't about to part with it. Instead, they will virtue signal by constructing some building that's powered by fermenting tundra moss.

Of course they are. Look man, it's money driven and the reason we have as much money as we do is simple.

Oil.

And now these progressives running the school feel guilty about being rich because of oil, and also know that there are huge ties between the oil money loving people, and the football loving people. And a crap athletic program is a way to stick it to the oil money people. Don't kid yourself, there are people at the helm of this school that if they had the power to do so, would spend every bit of our billions trying to run the school on unicorn farts and rainbows. The others feel guilty about having all the evil oil money, but aren't about to part with it. Instead, they will virtue signal by constructing some building that's powered by fermenting tundra moss.

This is sadly funny, but so accurate.

I don't know about protecting the endowment, but I do know that they don't want to be like those southern hick $ec schools who love football and pay players, etc... That's beneath them. It's obvious that they don't watch the games, I get it. It's time to have a discussion and decide who we are going to be. I welcome it. It is time to shit or go away. This team looks like a Michigan/Stanford football team.

Oil.

Where does it go from here? The money is getting thin and there is going to be a conflict going forward regarding finances. Who wins this battle? Do we become Stanford/Mich or closer to Bama/$ec?

I think I know and am ready to give up on football. We will know soon.

IMO, this is the type of info coming out of the Athletic Department when changes are being made. It looks like Herman is making demands in line with his contract. I would expect this when money is being lined up to buy him out when it wasn't there to pay his full salary during the covid.

Pay me in full b4 you fire me.

Oil.

God help us if that's the direction this program takes because of the progressive academic leadership that can't tie academic leadership and sports dominance together. I've gone to a number of Stanford football games: stadium half full, Chardonnay and cheese-loving crowd that doesn't know a lick about football. They're there to enjoy a nice, sunny, 75 degree day. Football is a diversion. They're happy with corporate-David Shaw, players who go to class, and the APR.
It sounds like a head coach is the least of our issues . . . more of a broader issue about our identity. Heaven help us!

That was 70+, four playoff appearances w/two nattys and an NC game loss ago. He ain't comin', and it's debatable if we'd shell out another Saban to Texas contract to get him here even if he would. Admin doesn't want to win that badly. Dabo is Bama's to lose if he'd ever leave.

when you offer to double a man's salary you can be certain that he will at least pause to read the contract.

Texas needs to clean out the liberal commie facility and then they can move forward as a football power.

Hopefully Jay Hartzell understands the dynamics better than Greg Fenves. IMO, getting rid of the California dude is always a plus.

They all got HC jobs at Power 5 schools without any prior HC experience and have still been successful.
They were in most cases left plenty to work with by HOF coaches. With the exception of smart who did walk in to a pretty solid situation. I mean Richt was winning 8-10 a year

I would buy Matt Campbell so fast with whatever it took, throw Saban money at him, he's the one! I told ya Herman wasn't the one and now i am telling ya he's the one! Pay Attention!

ADVERTISEMENT