ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic head coaches for Texas.

They all got HC jobs at Power 5 schools without any prior HC experience and have still been successful.

Gary Patterson didn't. TCU was jumping conference to conference when he was hired. I think they were WAC at the time.

Day, Riley, Swinney and Shaw were either assistants or coordinators of the school they took over for.

Pruitt and Smart worked almost a decade with Saban, winning 5 and 3 natty's respectively with him.

Maybe we should hire Steve Sarkisian?

Gary Patterson didn't. TCU was jumping conference to conference when he was hired. I think they were WAC at the time.

Day, Riley, Swinney and Shaw were either assistants or coordinators of the school they took over for.

Pruitt and Smart worked almost a decade with Saban, winning 5 and 3 natty's respectively with him.

Maybe we should hire Steve Sarkisian?

You guys are missing the point. None of those guys would have the jobs they have, if "has to have head coaching experience" was a prerequisite.

You are right though. Gary Patterson built TCU from the WAC to the MWC to the Big 12 with recruiting classes that are never rated anywhere near ours. They've finished in the Top 10 6 times and are 2-1 in New Year's 6 bowls. Did I mention that he's 7-2 vs us and he does it with the resources and facilities of a tiny private university.

And week after week, guys come on this message board and sing the praises of Mike fing Leach. There is no comparison between Mike Leach and Gary Patterson as coaches.

Steve Sarkisian doesn't fit in that bucket. He's been a HC at 2 different places and drank himself out of a job.

However, Brent Venables does fit in that bucket and I'm willing to bet that he would listen to what we have to say. He's one of the best DCs and recruiters in all of college football. But we won't even consider him, because we're Texas.

Reactions: westx
I would buy Matt Campbell so fast with whatever it took, throw Saban money at him, he's the one! I told ya Herman wasn't the one and now i am telling ya he's the one! Pay Attention!
I think he’s a great coach. I mean Iowa State doesn’t have much going for it. Location, not much of an In state recruiting base, facilities not great he’s over achieved there.

in the 10 years prior to Campbell they were 41-64 with 3 bowl games

In Campbell’s 4 full seasons(this is his 5th) they are 26-25 with 3 bowl games. Some programs just have a celling of what they can be. 7-8 maybe 9 wins is about as good as you can do at ISU

Reactions: StrangerHorn
You guys are missing the point. None of those guys would have the jobs they have, if "has to have head coaching experience" was a prerequisite.

You are right though. Gary Patterson built TCU from the WAC to the MWC to the Big 12 with recruiting classes that are never rated anywhere near ours. They've finished in the Top 10 6 times and are 2-1 in New Year's 6 bowls. Did I mention that he's 7-2 vs us and he does it with the resources and facilities of a tiny private university.

And week after week, guys come on this message board and sing the praises of Mike fing Leach. There is no comparison between Mike Leach and Gary Patterson as coaches.

Steve Sarkisian doesn't fit in that bucket. He's been a HC at 2 different places and drank himself out of a job.

However, Brent Venables does fit in that bucket and I'm willing to bet that he would listen to what we have to say. He's one of the best DCs and recruiters in all of college football. But we won't even consider him, because we're Texas.
Who ever gives Sark his 2nd shot will get a good one. I think he would of won big at SC if not for his personal issues which it seems are in check. Not suggesting that his shot should come at UT, but he’s a good one

I understand your point.

Patterson has done great. But he didn't fit in the point you were making at the time.

I'm no fan of Leach coming here...I think it a singular poster...our beloved stranger! haha

My Sarkisian comment was sarcasm.

Venables may make a nice coach. But to take him over Meyer? Come on man.

We just tried two coaches in a row with NO blue blood experience, and very little HC experience. One was the worst 3 year stretch in program history. The other has done this...

***courtesy of Kyle Umlang on Twitter***

Texas’ loss on Saturday was Tom Herman’s...
3rd loss to TCU
5th loss due to a turnover/penalty
6th loss by a field goal
7th loss to an unranked opponent
11th loss by 1 score
12th loss to conference opponent

This is through 43 games...

While it is true that those guys didn’t have HC expierence. They also walked in to almost turn key situations. Those jobs don’t come open very often and are much easier for a 1st time coach than a program that needs to build

I understand your point.

Patterson has done great. But he didn't fit in the point you were making at the time.

I'm no fan of Leach coming here...I think it a singular poster...our beloved stranger! haha

My Sarkisian comment was sarcasm.

Venables may make a nice coach. But to take him over Meyer? Come on man.

We just tried two coaches in a row with NO blue blood experience, and very little HC experience. One was the worst 3 year stretch in program history. The other has done this...

***courtesy of Kyle Umlang on Twitter***

Texas’ loss on Saturday was Tom Herman’s...
3rd loss to TCU
5th loss due to a turnover/penalty
6th loss by a field goal
7th loss to an unranked opponent
11th loss by 1 score
12th loss to conference opponent

This is through 43 games...

Patterson fits in that group, because he had no prior HC experience before he got his job, albeit they were not a P5 school at the time.

I'm not advocating that we hire Veneables over Meyer. I'm advocating that we don't eliminate candidates from our coaching search because they don't have HC experience.

I hope all of you that a dead set on Meyer are willing to accept the taint that comes with him. I hope you can get behind the Joe Mixon, Dorial Green Beckham and Aaron Hernandez types. I hope you are ready to put away the argument, "We would let a criminal like that in our program".

Coordinators that were first time head coaches when
I would buy Matt Campbell so fast with whatever it took, throw Saban money at him, he's the one! I told ya Herman wasn't the one and now i am telling ya he's the one! Pay Attention!

No, he's only been good with 1 QB. Need someone who has shown to be good with multiple players and teams.

Patterson fits in that group, because he had no prior HC experience before he got his job, albeit they were not a P5 school at the time.

I'm not advocating that we hire Veneables over Meyer. I'm advocating that we don't eliminate candidates from our coaching search because they don't have HC experience.

I hope all of you that a dead set on Meyer are willing to accept the taint that comes with him. I hope you can get behind the Joe Mixon, Dorial Green Beckham and Aaron Hernandez types. I hope you are ready to put away the argument, "We would let a criminal like that in our program".

Sure Patterson fits in that group as a coach with no experience. He had over a decade to build his program before it came into the Big 12. So no, he doesn't fit in with the Pruitt's, Smart's, etc. Taking over a storied SEC program with no experience does not line up with taking over a mediocre program that is competing in Conference USA.

Good. Agreed. However the list of coaches that have no experience running a program with as much crap that you have to deal with that you would at Texas is very short.

I think the issues of Meyer have been covered on here quite extensively. Meyer had nothing to do with Joe Mixon or DGB. I don't remember Hernandez getting in trouble while at UF. Maybe he did. But yes, just like Texas, kids do dumb stuff because they think they can get away with it. Very few programs that win natty's and/or compete for them on a yearly basis are squeaky clean.

But are we going to act like Cedric Benson didn't get in trouble at Texas? Sergio Kindle? Robert Joseph? Ramonce Taylor? Andre Jones? Tyrell Gatewood?

How about Joshua Moore? Reese Leitao?

Texas has had/have these same issues, but without the wins.

The people that think Texas didn't have "criminals" on the roster under Mack Brown are ignorant.

So yes, I'm okay with Urban Meyer recruiting some players that might have some baggage. I can't think of anyone that doesn't.

Sure Patterson fits in that group as a coach with no experience. He had over a decade to build his program before it came into the Big 12. So no, he doesn't fit in with the Pruitt's, Smart's, etc. Taking over a storied SEC program with no experience does not line up with taking over a mediocre program that is competing in Conference USA.

Good. Agreed. However the list of coaches that have no experience running a program with as much crap that you have to deal with that you would at Texas is very short.

I think the issues of Meyer have been covered on here quite extensively. Meyer had nothing to do with Joe Mixon or DGB. I don't remember Hernandez getting in trouble while at UF. Maybe he did. But yes, just like Texas, kids do dumb stuff because they think they can get away with it. Very few programs that win natty's and/or compete for them on a yearly basis are squeaky clean.

But are we going to act like Cedric Benson didn't get in trouble at Texas? Sergio Kindle? Robert Joseph? Ramonce Taylor? Andre Jones? Tyrell Gatewood?

How about Joshua Moore? Reese Leitao?

Texas has had/have these same issues, but without the wins.

The people that think Texas didn't have "criminals" on the roster under Mack Brown are ignorant.

So yes, I'm okay with Urban Meyer recruiting some players that might have some baggage. I can't think of anyone that doesn't.

Ramounce just sold a little between games..lol

Reactions: weevilcatch
Matt Campbell would be good, but it takes a special breed to handle the likes of Austin, UT and what goes with it. Not sure if he would like it. I think he stays in the mid West area.

Deon the Neon!
The current team leaves me with a pit in my stomach every Saturday. If we’re not going to contend for a trophy (any trophy), I’d like some entertainment ... any entertainment ... F APR, screw having a team of choir boys. TV ratings will skyrocket. Any publicity is good publicity. Top 3 coaches on my list for entertainment value:
Deion
Jason Brown (real coaching experience, albeit community college)
Uncle Rico

How come Mario Christobal is not getting more run? He can recruit at a high level and can damned sure develop O linemen

Rumor on Surly via the OB pay board by someone called Sua Sponte is that the BMD's have reached out to Meyer and have offered 5 years 50mm. Please let this be true. MM can you confirm?

How come Mario Christobal is not getting more run? He can recruit at a high level and can damned sure develop O linemen
He could be holding out until Manny Diaz gets fired at the U or an NFL gig. Manny Diaz is safe as of now because they are having a good year and they have a good QB along with a defensive line that is getting some notoriety, but I expect Clemson will give them a beat down.

Rumor on Surly via the OB pay board by someone called Sua Sponte is that the BMD's have reached out to Meyer and have offered 5 years 50mm. Please let this be true. MM can you confirm?

0d5.jpg

What coaches are out there that would coach at Texas? This is bullshit and will be difficult for Texas to find a great coach. Tom Herman is not going to get Texas over the hump to be competitive. The last decade has put Texas behind the eight ball and kids are not coming here anymore. I realize this had alot to do with coaching and getting kids into the league.
CDC to lure Fatterson away from Cowtown for double what TCU is paying.

Got some feelers out. Let's see what they say...

I'm hearing that Boosters reached out to Meyer before the season started and now it is heating up to the point that Belmont is talking to him. Evidently there is behind the scenes stuff that is starting to tear the team apart.

Jake Smith might be the next to hit the portal.

I'm hearing that Boosters reached out to Meyer before the season started and now it is heating up to the point that Belmont is talking to him. Evidently there is behind the scenes stuff that is starting to tear the team apart.

Jake Smith might be the next to hit the portal.

Dude.........don't %$&^ with my emotions.......behind the scene stuff? Like this is from a reliable source? I can't deal......BMD need to pay him off and move on. I'm not a fire the coach guy, but if we keep losing recruits we will have nothing left for the guy coming in to improve with.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
A friend of mine that is a janitor in Belmont says he heard that they talked to Leach also...that would be cool just to piss all of you off!...LOL

ADVERTISEMENT