ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
c4lnqO4.jpg

Doesn't sound like he committed. I always get a laugh when these recruiting service guys fall flat on their face because they feel the need to scoop everyone. This time they even scooped the player himself.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
He is very likely headed to Bama somebody stole the kids thunder that's all this is. The kid is a true SEC country transplant...

You follow Higdon?

Just another gemba sock. Right when MM went on a banning spree he started posting, I wonder why.

When you can't win anything on the football field all you have to brag about is recruiting (and they really don't have much to brag about there).

Isn't the Hulk a project. Projects have not worked out well for Texas. Just sayin.

Update on WR Tre Nixon of Melbourne, FL (OrangeBloods):

“As of right now, Texas is in my top list because of my relationship with Coach Norvell. I really like his intensity and I really like Coach Strong. I feel like Coach Strong was a big hire for Texas. Once I go out to visit, I think it will help out their chances even more.”

“It’s impressive to see how Coach Strong can put so many guys in the league. I saw Devante Parker get drafted in the first round and I believe that’s because of Coach Strong. He was an underrated recruit who Strong helped develop into a first round draft pick. It’s hard not to notice things like that, especially when it's someone at my position.”

“My dad lives in Arizona and my mom in Florida, so the coaches have been telling me Texas is the perfect mid-point between both of my parents. It would be a fairly short trip for both of them to come visit.”

Quotes from OL Jean Delance of North Mesquite (OrangeBloods):

"I definitely have 10 (schools) in my head that I know for sure."

"I'm going to visit USC, A&M, Austin with Deandre McNeal. I'm probably going to go to Florida, Florida State, LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma. I'm going to be everywhere."

"Coach Strong has the (NFL proof, before Texas," Delance said. "Coach Wickline, he needs guys to come in there with great potential, start early, get on the field and make an impact on the O-line as quickly as possible. He told me straight up, he's not recruiting any type of guys that he doesn't think can't come in and play early. He's not even looking for those guys."

"They have a whole bunch of guys in the NFL. Coach BJ (Brian Jean-Mary), he even let me know, have that faith in coach Strong, he'll get you to the next level. You'll have that opportunity. They have that proof. You'll have coaches tell you that, but they have that actual background if you put the work into it."

Update on LB Jordan Carmouche of Manvel (24/7):

“I have a lot of interest in Texas right now,” Carmouche said. “It’s a great program and a great school with a lot of tradition, so I’m really looking at Texas right now."
“They are one of my top schools. Coach (Charlie) Strong, Coach BJ, Coach (Tommie) Robinson and Coach Haley are all great people, and they told me they really want me.”“I really felt like I connected with the coaches,” he said. “I like what they were saying about the program. I also liked the facilities. My favorite part was just going into the locker room and putting the jersey on. It was just a good feeling.”

ATH Grayland Arnold of Kountze says he could stop by the coaches' offices while at the state track meet (24/7):

"It's possible," he said. "I'll be up there to meet with the coaches and talk to Coach (Charlie) Strong."

"It went well," Arnold said. "He (Coach Robinson) came by and left and then he came by for my practice. He was just saying that he was going to talk to Coach Strong about getting me an offer."

"I like it, and it has a lot of tradition," he said. "I just want to meet Coach Strong and see what kind of guy he is and see if we have a bond. He likes to keep everybody in line, and he's trying to turn the program around."

CB Trayvon Mullen of Coconut Creek, FL talks about his UT offer (24/7):

“I was walking to my coach’s class, and he handed me the phone,” Mullen said. “I talked to Coach Vaughn, and he told me I had an offer. I was excited because I was looking forward to getting one from Texas one day."
“My conversation with him was great. He just said that he thinks it would be a good place and a good fit for me. He knew I liked Texas schools and told me to give them a shot.”

“My interest in Texas is very high,” Mullen said. “I know a lot about their history. I feel like I can do big things, and Coach Vaughn can get me where I want to be.”

A new name at safety to keep in mind is Innis Gaines of Beaumont West Brook (OrangeBloods):

“They (Texas coaches) like me because I'm a pretty tall safety, I cover very well, have good footwork, can jump and have great ball skills,” Gaines said. “I'm working on my man coverage more and tackling.”

“They said I had a great practice, wonderful. He said I would offer you, but the way we do things at Texas, you have to come to school and meet Charlie Strong first,” Gaines said.

“I’ve been loving Texas since I was little. If they were to offer, that would be a big thing for me.”http://247sports.com/Player/Innis-Gaines-77978

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2256895/innis-gaines

“I will announce my college May 22 at the spring game,” Kendall Jones said.

They better start working out soon because our roster is full of them.
Lol, this is true. Mack had problems developing projects, Strong, not so much.

Some folks seem to think this kid will be maxed out and stiff. I'd like to have him, but I think there is more to the Bama commitment than is being made public at the moment, so, I guess we wont find out.

Aggy over on their 247 board... their lack of self-awarness knows no bounds. They hate us more than they like themselves. Always have, always will. Such complete idiots.

"that's hillarious. longhorns entire recruiting hopes were based on landing that guy as the bell cow of their entire class.

they can't land $#@!.

NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY IN THE $#@!TY BIG 12.

OPEN THE FLOOD GATES ON THIS STATE.

I love that coaches like Saban are tormenting the poor longhorns."

Aggy over on their 247 board... their lack of self-awarness knows no bounds. They hate us more than they like themselves. Always have, always will. Such complete idiots.

"that's hillarious. longhorns entire recruiting hopes were based on landing that guy as the bell cow of their entire class.

they can't land $#@!.

NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY IN THE $#@!TY BIG 12.

OPEN THE FLOOD GATES ON THIS STATE.

I love that coaches like Saban are tormenting the poor longhorns."

LMAO. It's amazing the number we did on aggys.

This exact same handle was banned before they changed the site over. Enjoy your time here while you can.... Troll

MM has been ripped by many of the posters here. He is not capable of doing a good job. He has constant rule violations going on here and does nothing about it. He does what fits his preference and the board is hurting because of it.

MM has been ripped by many of the posters here. He is not capable of doing a good job. He has constant rule violations going on here and does nothing about it. He does what fits his preference and the board is hurting because of it.

There it is! Ban him! How dare you talk about MM like that troll!

You are terrible. Go over to Texaggy.

Now that the mouth breathing liar is gone:

From HornsDigest, Nick Castillo:

A Look at the O-Line

Today’s edition of The Heard looks at offensive line prospects Texas has offered and are interested in. The Longhorns have 11 offers out to offensive lineman. Eight of the 11 are committed to other schools. Five-star tackle Greg Little is committed to Texas A&M, four-star tackles J.P. Urquidez and Patrick Hudson are committed to Baylor and four-star guard Chris Owens is committed to Alabama. Three-star linemen Austin and Riley Anderson recently committed to Texas A&M. Texas offered three-star offensive guard Parker Boudreaux but the Longhorns found themselves outside of his top ten.

The Longhorns also have an offer out to three-star guard Austin Myers. Myers, a Manvel, Texas native, is currently committed to TCU, however, his ties with Texas commit four-star wide receiver Reggie Hemphill help the Longhorns. The 6-foot-4, 285-pound junior is the No. 2 offensive guard in Texas. Myers holds 12 offers including offers from Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and UCLA among six others. Texas has an offer out to four-star tackle Willie Allen. The 6-foot-7, 300-pound senior-to-be has 17 offers. Allen holds offers from Alabama, Baylor, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Notre Dame, TCU and UCLA.

The Longhorns offered four-star offensive tackle Jean Delance. Delance, a Mesquite, Texas native, holds 26 offers including offers from Alabama, Auburn, Baylor, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M and USC. The 6-foot-5, 270 pound junior is ranked Texas’ No. 3 offensive tackle. Texas offered three-star tackle Denzel Okafor. The 6-foot-4, 290-pound senior-to-be is the No. 7 tackle in Texas. The Lewisville, Texas native holds 16 offers. Alongside Texas, Okafor has offers from Arkansas, LSU, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M, UCLA and others.

Three-star tackle Zach Shackelford doesn’t hold an offer from Texas but there is interest on both sides. Shackelford has been to Austin a few times including a trip to Texas’ junior day and has enjoyed his time on the Forty Acres. He liked that he was a part of a selective group at junior day. The 6-foot-4, 290-pound junior from Belton, Texas is the No. 6 ranked offensive tackle in the state and has nine offers. Another recruit to watch is three-star guard Tope Imade. The Arlington, Texas native is the No. 6 guard in the state. The junior guard comes in at 6-foot-5, 327-pounds. He holds 17 offers.

Article from SoonersIllustrated (the OU site) on defensive tackle recruiting. A lot of guys we're targeting are mentioned, so this is relevant info.

Things are starting to work themselves out on the recruiting trail. It’s time to start looking more intently on Oklahoma’s “wish list” for the Class of 2016.

Defensive tackle (1-2)

Committed: None.

Favorite: Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints Episcopal’s Mike Williams. If there’s one prospect where first-year defensive line coach Diron Reynolds is knocking it out of the park right now, it’s with Williams. A fantastic junior day visit has only been bolstered during the spring evaluation period. OU is sitting pretty with Williams.

Next in line: Duncanville (Texas) High’s Marcel Southall. OU’s most recent offer at defensive tackle and could end up being one of its most crucial. Southall is picking up steam like crazy in the last couple of weeks and Reynolds is making sure the Sooners don’t get left behind. The key will be to get that first campus visit. The secret’s out, though, with the Alabama offer Monday evening. Euless (Texas) Trinity’s Chris Daniels. Reynolds is doing everything right with Daniels, but it might not matter anyway. TCU and Arkansas are going to be so tough to beat when it comes to Daniels, but OU has already been able to get him to campus. Reynolds has made sure Daniels realizes what a top target he is for OU.

On the radar: Houston Westside’s Jordan Elliott. Pretty big longshot right now. OU’s only saving grace is that OU made his initial top 10. No school seems to stand a chance against USC right now for the one-time Baylor commit. A commitment to USC seems more likely than a trip to OU as of today.

I really want Daniels and Elliot in our DT class. I wasn't really impressed with Southall but that could be due to what his coach asked him to do in their scheme, I didn't see a lot of burst and penetration.

STATE TRACK

Let's take a look at who is in town this weekend and their current standing.

RB Kam Martin, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX) - 4x100, 4x200: The Baylor commit will visit with the coaches this weekend, likely in hopes that they all dress like cupid and shoot arrows at him. If UT presses now this one is academic. Their work would eventually pay off. The question is will Texas press now, later, or not at all?

RB Devwah Whaley, Central (Beaumont, TX) - Triple Jump: Not entirely sure if he's visiting. He's still viewed as an Aggie lean but I'm not so sure. He's the only running back I'd consider taking in-state but that may not matter for Texas.

WR Tyrie Cleveland, Westfield (Spring, TX) 4x100: The former Aggie commit is now considered by those I talk to as a very likely lean for Florida. He's a Florida native and has seemed to be on cloud nine since they offered. Also helping the Gators' cause was offering his quarterback Dillon Sterling-Cole.

WR Devin Duvernay, Sachse (Sachse, TX) - 4x100, 100M: Like with Whaley I don't know if Duvernay plans on visiting. These Sachse kids don't seem to be too interested in UT.

WR Reggie Hemphill, Manvel (Manvel, TX) - 4x200, 4x400: The Texas commit will visit of course.

TE Ryan Becker, Marble Falls (Marble Falls, TX) - Discus: Becker's quiet. I don't know if Texas is still talking to him much.

DE Brandon Bowen, Byron Nelson (Trophy Club, TX) - High Jump: This freak is high jumping 6-9! Could be a tight end or defensive end. He's a media mute (not that I blame him) so I have no idea what his story is.

S Deontay Anderson, Manvel (Manvel, TX) - 4x100, 4x200, 200M: It wouldn't surprise me if Anderson made the short walk over with Hemphill as D'Eriq King will. If he doesn't, it's time for Texas to take its scissors to all the mail it planned on sending him like a teenage girl.

ATH Tyrell Alexander, Lancaster (Lancaster, TX) - 110M Hurdles: Still not hearing from UT. I understand not offering yet, but I don't understand ignoring him. I'd at least recruit him and get him to camp.

ATH Grayland Arnold, Kountze (Kountze, TX) - 100M: He tells us he's going to stop by and talk to the coaches and that Coach Robinson was going to talk to Strong about the need to offer him (that's some hot recruit-speak coming out of T-Rob). We know Texas likes big athletes. Arnold is not big. That tells us they're really fond of this kid's ability and mindset. Say Texas is sitting on three wide receivers and three defensive backs and they want an athlete who could project to either...Arnold fits that need, as does Alexander.

ATH Gamarquis Girdy, Victoria West (Victoria, TX) - 4x100: I profiled him earlier in the year. I love this kid. He's hardnosed, athletic, and FAST. Texas stopped by this week but just kept bringing up his height. I'm told he's 5-foot-10 so I'm assuming that's the b-pitt 5-foot-10 (5-9 1/4).

ATH Kenan Ivy, Lancaster (Lancaster, TX) - 4x100: If he was taller (currently 5-foot-9 1/4), he'd have more Texas interest. I wonder if Charlie Strong would pass on Earl Thomas or if he just hasn't seen an Earl Thomas yet. Something to watch.

ATH D'Eriq King, Manvel (Manvel, TX) - 4x100: TCU commit and he says they're going to let him play quarterback. He's still hearing from Texas some and will likely visit with the coaches.

ATH Jeremy Smith, Fort Bend Marshall (Missouri City, TX) - 300M Hurdles, 4x400: Solid athlete but hasn't heard much from Texas to my knowledge.

Talked to a quartet of 5-stars this week that have Texas on their mind, plus a mini-Steve Young gets noticed. Justin 6-stars, IMHO.

1.The ballad of Brandon Jones. The 5-star from Nacogdoches has been quiet of late with his recruiting. When you are offered by every major program in the nation as a junior, it happens. And despite all the A&M insiders proclamations of Aggie grandeur, I'm starting to side with Eric that BJ to College Station is far from a done deal. He'll visit Texas this weekend and that's a small step in the right direction.

"Yes sir, I'll be taking an unofficial visit to Austin this weekend to see coach Strong and UT," said Jones. "I've seen the campus a couple times already but want to get a chance to get to know the staff better, and get a better sense of the program. My mom is coming because coach Vaughn and coach Strong told me I better bring her. They want to meet her."

One thing Strong does fairly well is sell parents. With Jones, he's in the 1-parent dynamic after his father passed away a few years ago. One thing different with this visit is academics.

"We are going to meet with academic advisors and talk about potential majors," Jones said.

Recovering from a major injury (torn PCL left knee) has been the only thing on Jones mind lately. He says he's running at full speed and put himself at 90% ready overall. Just another hit this tremendous kid has taken and flourished. He told me he's really bonded with Vaughn and continues to build a relationship with the charismatic Horns DB tasker.

I've said this before; Brandon Jones might be the nicest, most well-mannered recruit I've ever met. He should be a priority from an athletic and leadership standpoint alone, not to mention his immense talent and playmaking ability. The multi-versatile defensive back from the piney woods of East Texas is a special kid. The oldest of five siblings, Jones is determined to make it. Can you imagine what a Strong-coached Jones would look like in four years during the NFL Draft? I can.

I'll talk to Jones Sunday afternoon on his ride home from the state's capitol city. Time to work, Charlie.

2.The Hunt for Patrick Hudson. There's not a ton to report here from the best in-state OL not named Greg Little. Texas is doing its due diligence and staying in contact with the ginormous OL from Silsbee and current Baylor pledge. The 5-star was visited by the Texas staff this week. Joe Wickline to be exact.

"Coach Wickline told me he was coming to see me and he did," said Hudson. "It was nice to catch up with UT. They told me I'm a priority and that they really want me to take a visit."

Recruit this kid until the end. Seriously. Hudson says Texas continues to make up ground. Plus, I think Strong is good for two BU flips per year. This kid would count as two on a normal scale.

3.Texas finally recruits Baron Browning. The uber talented junior-to-be LB from Kennedale has offers from some of the nation's best - Stanford, UCLA, Texas A&M, TCU, and Oklahoma. He's got a reported 4.59 40, which his ideal for his OLB frame.He plays even faster.He's also been waiting for Texas to show him some love. After Jay Norvell contacted him a few weeks back, the UT WR coach has convinced Browning he needs to see DKR.

"I'm coming to see Charlie Strong," said Browning, who is somewhere between 6-foot-2.5 and 6-foot-4, 215-225 pounds. "I'm looking forward to the trip. My grandfather is coming because he wants to see UT too."

Browning is in my Top 5 of prospects in 2017 that Texas needs to get. He also knows Strong's track record with linebackers and is enamored with rated rookie, Malik Jefferson. I think Jefferson will have some input on this one.

Browning also understands the Texas staff takes its time on handing out offers, notably to sophomores in his class and he's patient. That's key here. Too often kids get their feelings hurt when they feel slighted by a particular school for not offering early enough. Browning is a mature young man who sees the bigger picture. Plus, he's smart. That Stanford offer proves that.

4.The Hulk to Alabama (not yet edition).2016 Killeen Shoemaker DT Kendell Jones dropped his Top 5 late last night. It involved Alabama, Texas A&M, Baylor, LSU, and of course, Texas. Earlier in the day it was reported that Jones had commit to the Crimson Tide, but Jones and his father said that was false. I got a chance to talk to Jones last night to see where UT stands with the kid they call the Hulk.

"I've always liked Texas," said Jones. "I really bonded with coach Strong and coach Haley at Junior Day."(he then goes on to tell me how cold it was that day. Don't worry Kendell, I remember).

His admiration for the UT staff is the top drawing card for the Horns at the moment. "The coaching staff is awesome," said Jones. "They're real cool and talk to me like I'm a man."

Jones mentioned his parents may come with him the next time he visits, but he was unsure of the date. He told me he will announce his commitment after his Spring game next Saturday. So you'd think it'll be over after that. Or not.

He also said he'll still take his officials visits in the fall. The thought here is that his dad wants him to commit early so he can focus on school and his senior year. My gut tells me Alabama is the slight leader in all of this. I also think this recruitment is nowhere near over. I think Jones ultimately stays close to his parents, but feel Strong needs some 1-on-1 time with Kendell to continue to build what they've already started. Don't forget Jones has visited Texas four times in a year and a half. He's quite familiar with this staff and campus. Only Haley is the new guy and they had a good history from his LSU recruitment. If the Joneses are open to it in January, I'd have Strong and Haley on the ground in Killeen.

"It's really all about where I'm the most wanted," said Jones. "I want to know who really wants me. My mom and dad will be happy with whoever I'm happy with. They got my back."

5.New QB target for 2017....is Colleyville Heritage southpaw Cam Roane. The 6-foot-2, 197-pound signal-caller is just beginning to embark on the recruitment, andby watching his tape, you can see why. Texas, OU, Okie Lite, Fightin' Bryan Harsins (Boise), Wisconsin, and Iowa are on him, but one school stands out early.

"Texas is amazing. It's close to home, the offense is somewhat similar to the one I run now, just more pro style, and there's nothing better than football in Texas," said Roane, who will visit the Horns for the QB Camp in June.

I agree with Eric here that Roane would make an ideal QB-2 take with Denton Guyer's Shawn Robinson, the original QB-1.

S Deontay Anderson, Manvel (Manvel, TX) - 4x100, 4x200, 200M: It wouldn't surprise me if Anderson made the short walk over with Hemphill as D'Eriq King will. If he doesn't, it's time for Texas to take its scissors to all the mail it planned on sending him like a teenage girl.
Found this tweet of Deontay, Brandon Jones and Kam Martin from April 6th. Notice the Hook 'Em hand. I know it may not mean anything, but...

You guys have much more patience with recruiting than I. December to February is too much for me. I end up mad at eighteen year olds I've never met for being indecisive.

Looking back at last year, I don't think we picked up a commit in May or June. This is just how Strong recruits, Texas fans need to get use to it.

Article from SoonersIllustrated (the OU site) on defensive tackle recruiting. A lot of guys we're targeting are mentioned, so this is relevant info.

Things are starting to work themselves out on the recruiting trail. It’s time to start looking more intently on Oklahoma’s “wish list” for the Class of 2016.

Defensive tackle (1-2)

Committed: None.

Favorite: Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints Episcopal’s Mike Williams. If there’s one prospect where first-year defensive line coach Diron Reynolds is knocking it out of the park right now, it’s with Williams. A fantastic junior day visit has only been bolstered during the spring evaluation period. OU is sitting pretty with Williams.

Next in line: Duncanville (Texas) High’s Marcel Southall. OU’s most recent offer at defensive tackle and could end up being one of its most crucial. Southall is picking up steam like crazy in the last couple of weeks and Reynolds is making sure the Sooners don’t get left behind. The key will be to get that first campus visit. The secret’s out, though, with the Alabama offer Monday evening. Euless (Texas) Trinity’s Chris Daniels. Reynolds is doing everything right with Daniels, but it might not matter anyway. TCU and Arkansas are going to be so tough to beat when it comes to Daniels, but OU has already been able to get him to campus. Reynolds has made sure Daniels realizes what a top target he is for OU.

On the radar: Houston Westside’s Jordan Elliott. Pretty big longshot right now. OU’s only saving grace is that OU made his initial top 10. No school seems to stand a chance against USC right now for the one-time Baylor commit. A commitment to USC seems more likely than a trip to OU as of today.

Are you clueless??

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT