ADVERTISEMENT

Reese Leitao – "So you're telling me there's a chance."

I can agree to this a little. Depends on if it's constantly reoccurring because if it's rape after rape allegations or a constant recruitment of idiots then you deserve it. I know some of these "kids" come from bad situations and some do deserve 2nd chances but that doesn't automatically mean it's a UT or even OU. People change and I do get that but I think it's truly a case by case situation. You're right this fool may play for Texas but I'll bet you Tom will have extra resources managing this kid.

I am sure he'll be on thin ice when he arrives. What he deserves is directly correlated with his talent and this teams needs and the crime committed. This kid doesn't come from a bad situation btw, or at least he's not poor, his family may or may not be dysfunctional, but they aren't poor.

I am sure he'll be on thin ice when he arrives. What he deserves is directly correlated with his talent and this teams needs and the crime committed. This kid doesn't come from a bad situation btw, or at least he's not poor, his family may or may not be dysfunctional, but they aren't poor.

Yeah I know he doesn't come from a bad situation which even blows my mind even more of why he would choose to do something so stupid with everything on the line. He's a kid and I know people do stupid stuff all the time but this couldn't have been his first time he just got caught. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see what Herman asks him to determine if he deserves to be in Burnt Orange.

Never worth it from what standpoint? The only cost at the college level is a roster spot. If he screws up you send him packing. I get it at the pro level with limited rosters, salaries, and salary caps wasting time on a player is more costly. Regardless there is a long list beyond Allen Iverson of it being absolutely worth it for a team. At the college level unless he kills or rapes someone you can just kick him off the team (or hell even keep him) and nothing going to stick to you if you are a winning coach. And if you are a losing coach then you are likely on your way out regardless of your player's character.
We can agree to disagree, but I stroooongly disagree. He's a tight end - one of the easier positions to fill. One bad apple can certainly spoil the whole bunch. Weighing risk/reward (chances of him being Gronk vs. average; chances of locker room disruption vs. drop off in talent with next tight end up) - I would pass.

What if it's rape? Murder? The "cost" is beyond football brother. Risk doesn't just involve the coach and athlete.

How often football players murder and rape someone? If your fear is that we are going to open Pandora's box and have a bunch of murderers/rapists then that's pretty irrational. What are the gateway indicators that coaches are looking at to determine if player A is future murderer/rapists vs future DWI or pot arrests?

We can agree to disagree, but I stroooongly disagree. He's a tight end - one of the easier positions to fill. One bad apple can certainly spoil the whole bunch. Weighing risk/reward (chances of him being Gronk vs. average; chances of locker room disruption vs. drop off in talent with next tight end up) - I would pass.

Outside of Baylor and it's one data point of case study which was riddled with so much failure that it's nearly impossible to replicate when has one bad apple spoiled the bunch?

Are we forgetting that just a few years ago two of our players were accused / arrested / and on trial for rape. They were eventually found innocent but in the meantime they were simply removed from the program and there wasn't some giant stain all over the program's face other than the fabricated stains of internet message boards. Coaches aren't precogs. Nobody expects football programs to prevent crime. You don't encourage it, but when (not if because it's human nature) it happens you don't hide it and remove the player from your program and move on.

Yeah I know he doesn't come from a bad situation which even blows my mind even more of why he would choose to do something so stupid with everything on the line. He's a kid and I know people do stupid stuff all the time but this couldn't have been his first time he just got caught. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see what Herman asks him to determine if he deserves to be in Burnt Orange.

Kids are stupid. Money doesn't remove stupid it only helps mask it. Suburbs are riddled with drug problems.

How often football players murder and rape someone?

My post was based on you thinking the only risk was the athlete gets kicked off the team. That's not true. When you as a coach bring in someone you know already has a troubled past (i.e.assault, drug abuse, drug dealing, and allegations of rape) you're risking another students well being. I'm not saying this kid doesn't deserve another chance but it doesn't mean it has to be at UT.

Are we forgetting that just a few years ago two of our players were accused / arrested / and on trial for rape. They were eventually found innocent but in the meantime they were simply removed from the program and there wasn't some giant stain all over the program's face other than the fabricated stains of internet message boards. Coaches aren't precogs. Nobody expects football programs to prevent crime. You don't encourage it, but when (not if because it's human nature) it happens you don't hide it and remove the player from your program and move on.
Those 2 guys weren't convicted. This guy was.

The two guys convicted evidently weren't the thugs they were alleged to be - they weren't poisoning the locker room.

Bubba - you are entitled to your opinion. I disagree. If this was Vince, I might think otherwise. But this is a tight end who can be replaced with little or no drop off, and with no baggage coming into the program.

The two guys convicted evidently weren't the thugs they were alleged to be - they weren't poisoning the locker room.

Bubba - you are entitled to your opinion. I disagree. If this was Vince, I might think otherwise. But this is a tight end who can be replaced with little or no drop off, and with no baggage coming into the program.

I don't disagree. He's not Vince but he isn't replaceable immediately because the signing period is over and there is no one on our roster that can replicate his talent. I just don't think the locker room culture turns on a dime like you suggest and locker room cancers are more or less bad attitudes which come from anywhere and not necessarily just thugs or criminals. Our 2005 NC team had a lot of bad apples that didn't have any issue leaving everything on the field when they suited up.

Btw the guy in question wasn't actually convicted either he was given deferred adjudication. It may be semantics to you but it's not technically a conviction either.

As for the he deserves a 2nd chance just not from me that's a cop out and complete contradiction. If you aren't willing to give someone a 2nd chance then you don't feel they deserve one. Now it's absolutely fine to feel that way, but just don't try to play mental gymnastics to make it sound like you are all for someone getting second chance.

Btw the guy in question wasn't actually convicted either he was given deferred adjudication. It may be semantics to you but it's not technically a conviction either.

As for the he deserves a 2nd chance just not from me that's a cop out and complete contradiction. If you aren't willing to give someone a 2nd chance then you don't feel they deserve one. Now it's absolutely fine to feel that way, but just don't try to play mental gymnastics to make it sound like you are all for someone getting second chance.
To correct both of us - he pled guilty and received deferred adjudication.

I never said I'm in favor of 2nd chances. I just say that, other than Gronk and a very few others, tight ends are dime a dozen. I would rather take a chance on one who does not peddle illegal drugs to minors.

I disagree with the idea that TE's are basically a dime a dozen. The fact is that in the Pros...( and CFB for that matter) there are very few quality TE's...Your statement..."other than Gronk and a few others...." tells you everything you need to know.....Simply that a quality TE is a damned rare thing, and the team that has one has a HUGE advantage.

No way of knowing if Lieto is that rarest of the rare quality TE but at least the forecasts point that way.Now should he be allowed to play?....That is way above my pay grade to decide, but know this.....people with their own asses on the line will be deciding that.

Im not sure on him but was thinking his Dad is a basketball coach who teaches young men and do you not feel his dad was embarrassed and hurt by his actions along with other family members? If he did not care about what his actions caused them then what does the kid care about.Texas?????

Reactions: oldhorn2
No matter the choice it's in TH's hands. What ever he decides I'll have to live with and I hope he can make this kid appreciate the 2nd chance he was given.

Reactions: diadevic
To correct both of us - he pled guilty and received deferred adjudication.

I never said I'm in favor of 2nd chances. I just say that, other than Gronk and a very few others, tight ends are dime a dozen. I would rather take a chance on one who does not peddle illegal drugs to minors.

That's technically not a conviction though. Regardless of where you fall on TEs being a dime a dozen that has been one of UTs most snake bit positions since Jermichael Finley left a decade ago. They may be easily replaced at other programs, but Texas for whatever reason can't get their act together with TEs.

Nah! The only reason you think pharmaceuticals are ok is because a doctor makes you think it's ok to take them. The purpose of why people are selling them on the streets isn't to cure cancer man. So he can have his chance some where else. Bet if one of your kids over dosed on Xanax you'd think other wise. The other thing is how STUPID do you have to be to ruin a chance at a full ride at one of the best schools in the nation because of a few bucks.

Hyperbole much? No one is talking about curing cancer, and Im not promoting big pharma.

Im being real. Youre gonna be real disappointed that these players aren't all saints. People do coke abd xanax all the time that lead very normal, responsible lives. Its not rape, assault or murder. Big difference.

Hyperbole much? No one is talking about curing cancer, and Im not promoting big pharma.

Im being real. Youre gonna be real disappointed that these players aren't all saints. People do coke abd xanax all the time that lead very normal, responsible lives. Its not rape, assault or murder. Big difference.

I never said the players were innocent that's obvious we have a recruit that likes to sale Xanax on the street and made possibly $1,290.00 (Felony) in a week doing it. Got lucky he's a football player or else. Is it rape nope but does it make it ok? No not in my book but let's face it nothing I say matters. TH has the decision to make. I guess my point is he better be worth the resources you're going to have to stick on him to make sure he isn't as stupid as he's already shown.

Reactions: diadevic
Got lucky he's a football player or else.

I doubt that entered into the equation...I think he is lucky that his Dad was rich enough to get the best legal Rep money could buy. I think the end result would have been the same if he never played any sports.....and conversely, I think if he was the top ranked recruit in the country, but was broke, he is up the river.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cotton #12
I doubt that entered into the equation...I think he is lucky that his Dad was rich enough to get the best legal Rep money could buy. I think the end result would have been the same if he never played any sports.....and conversely, I think if he was the top ranked recruit in the country, but was broke, he is up the river.

Based off some of the stuff that was said I'm going with being a high profile athlete in this case.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_bbfa262b-4a86-54e5-8ff2-53eb0a5069a7.html

First Assistant District Attorney Erik Grayless said. “You always have to look at individuals and what they did and who they are. We’ll do that for Mr. Leitao.”

“We don’t dismiss cases for reasons other than evidentiary issues,” Grayless said. “In other words, we don’t say, ‘He’s a good kid. We’re going to dismiss his case.’ Will we let the fact that he has a scholarship change our decision? No, but it is a factor."

Either way he's still a lucky fool!

Last edited:
This is embarrassing....who do u think he was trying to sell it to ???? This program is not too far from the gutter.

Leitao had originally been charged with felony possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of a school

This is embarrassing....who do u think he was trying to sell it to ???? This program is not too far from the gutter.

Leitao had originally been charged with felony possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of a school
I agree he shouldn't be on the team, but it would astonish you the number of kids that are currently attending high school that could get busted for the exact same thing. Again I think he should have lost his scholarship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT