ADVERTISEMENT

Reese Leitao – "So you're telling me there's a chance."

Godz40Acrez

Dec 27, 2005
Somewhere undetectable by the NSA
BON has an article about 2017 signee TE Reese Leitao who was arrested for and admitted to selling Xanax at his school.

"However, there’s still a chance that Leitao could keep his scholarship at Texas, albeit a small one, according to Leitao’s attorney Allen Smallwood."
[More @ BON]

-----------------------

achance.gif

Unless this kid is a 100% Gronk like stud, why drag your program through the mud for a drug dealer. Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: Cotton #12
Taken from another site-

"This is from a poster on the Shag. I think he's probably right and I agree with him.

This is part of the package when it comes to Tom Herman. I came to grips with this when I got excited Texas might get Nick Saban as the head coach. The Charlie Strong experiment failed miserably. Guys who want to win so badly it's probably a mental health issue to some degree are necessary to win championships. While I don't think Texas as a program has to win that way, attracting that kind of coach is mandatory. In this day and age of college football being a $6 billion a year industry and growing, the guys capable of winning championships are not going to want to compete against other programs with one hand tied behind their back. There are only so many coaches at any one time who are capable of winning a national championship. Maybe Tom Herman is one of them. Maybe he isn't. But if Reese Leitao gets this case pled down to a misdemeanor with no jail time at the hearing on April 18th - which I feel highly confident is what's going to happen - he's going to be enrolling in the summer. Start to get used to it. Or don't.

My tired admonition is that Texas fans should be careful about wearing their halos too tight. Herman is going to bend the rules a bit, the same way Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, and Nick Saban do. If that's something you're not comfortable with as a fan, you have a number of options open to you. Which one you choose is up to you."

Unless this kid is a 100% Gronk like stud, why drag your program through the mud for a drug dealer. Makes no sense to me.

I agree, but I don't really think there is that much mud. We like to hold on to these things on the message boards and bring it up in smack talk, but outside of that these stories don't really garner much attention. Unless the player goes on to commit a more heinous crime this will just stay on the message boards with minimal spillover.

If Herman brings this kid in, I can guarantee he will be all over him. He will have a grad assistant follow him around 24/7. And his urine will be tested for me than just hydration status.

DKR once remarked that" I can build on character if a player has it when he arrives"and my question is what kind of character does he have?He knew it was wrong and did it anyway and maybe he considered himself smarter than anyone else and who is going to catch me? You like that???

Last edited:
Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
TE Reese Leitao got the felony charge lowered to a misdemeanor. Wonder if he gets into UT now, still a lot of hoops he has to jump through on the admin side.

Taken from another site-

"This is from a poster on the Shag. I think he's probably right and I agree with him.

This is part of the package when it comes to Tom Herman. I came to grips with this when I got excited Texas might get Nick Saban as the head coach. The Charlie Strong experiment failed miserably. Guys who want to win so badly it's probably a mental health issue to some degree are necessary to win championships. While I don't think Texas as a program has to win that way, attracting that kind of coach is mandatory. In this day and age of college football being a $6 billion a year industry and growing, the guys capable of winning championships are not going to want to compete against other programs with one hand tied behind their back. There are only so many coaches at any one time who are capable of winning a national championship. Maybe Tom Herman is one of them. Maybe he isn't. But if Reese Leitao gets this case pled down to a misdemeanor with no jail time at the hearing on April 18th - which I feel highly confident is what's going to happen - he's going to be enrolling in the summer. Start to get used to it. Or don't.

My tired admonition is that Texas fans should be careful about wearing their halos too tight. Herman is going to bend the rules a bit, the same way Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, and Nick Saban do. If that's something you're not comfortable with as a fan, you have a number of options open to you. Which one you choose is up to you."
I made mention of this in a previous thread about 3-4 months ago. The $$$'s are rollin and we will be back. I wish it weren't this way but there is nothing the NCAA is going to do at this point. CFB = cheating progs and law breaking athletes.

Last edited:
Fans need to get used to the fact that behind closed doors players do things. Drugs are only one of those things. Xanax isnt rape or armed robbery.

Im a fan of Texas football, whether these kids go to church on sunday and practice safe sex. As long as they aren't raping, assaulting or robbing people, I can get over selling some pharmaceutical products.

Fans need to get used to the fact that behind closed doors players do things. Drugs are only one of those things. Xanax isnt rape or armed robbery.

Im a fan of Texas football, whether these kids go to church on sunday and practice safe sex. As long as they aren't raping, assaulting or robbing people, I can get over selling some pharmaceutical products.
Pusher is ok????

Nah! The only reason you think pharmaceuticals are ok is because a doctor makes you think it's ok to take them. The purpose of why people are selling them on the streets isn't to cure cancer man. So he can have his chance some where else. Bet if one of your kids over dosed on Xanax you'd think other wise. The other thing is how STUPID do you have to be to ruin a chance at a full ride at one of the best schools in the nation because of a few bucks.

Last edited:
Nah! The only reason you think pharmaceuticals are ok is because you think it's ok to take them. The purpose of why people are selling them on the streets isn't to cure cancer man. So he can have his chance some where else. Bet if one of you kids over dosed on Xanax you'd think other wise.
The borderline kid is virtually never worth it. I watched the ESPN 30 for 30 on Allen Iverson and the bowling alley brawl over the weekend, so I will say "virtually." Hopefully he learns from his mistake, but I wouldn't take the chance of introducing this into the locker room. There is other talent out there without the risk.

This is why I usually roll my eyes regarding the whole smack talk when player A gets in trouble from school B. Other than a few outsiders we are all recruiting from the same pool of players. This guy will be on the team soon enough. Longhorn players don't sit around all day soaking their hands in ivory liquid.

This is why I usually roll my eyes regarding the whole smack talk when player A gets in trouble from school B. Other than a few outsiders we are all recruiting from the same pool of players. This guy will be on the team soon enough. Longhorn players don't sit around all day soaking their hands in ivory liquid.

I can agree to this a little. Depends on if it's reccurring because if it's rape after rape allegations or a constant recruitment of idiots then you deserve it. I know some of these "kids" come from bad situations and some do deserve 2nd chances but that doesn't automatically mean it's a UT or even OU. People change and I do get that but I think it's truly a case by case situation. You're right this fool may play for Texas but I'll bet you Tom will have extra resources managing this kid.

Last edited:
The borderline kid is virtually never worth it. I watched the ESPN 30 for 30 on Allen Iverson and the bowling alley brawl over the weekend, so I will say "virtually." Hopefully he learns from his mistake, but I wouldn't take the chance of introducing this into the locker room. There is other talent out there without the risk.

Never worth it from what standpoint? The only cost at the college level is a roster spot. If he screws up you send him packing. I get it at the pro level with limited rosters, salaries, and salary caps wasting time on a player is more costly. Regardless there is a long list beyond Allen Iverson of it being absolutely worth it for a team. At the college level unless he kills or rapes someone you can just kick him off the team (or hell even keep him) and nothing going to stick to you if you are a winning coach. And if you are a losing coach then you are likely on your way out regardless of your player's character.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT