ADVERTISEMENT

Reese Leitao – "So you're telling me there's a chance."

Everyone takes borderline players. It depends on the culture which is established at the school that many times determines direction many of these kids will go. Plus, personal responsibility and choices come into play. Some will choose wrong and have to be let go. What Baylor did was take on 50 players over 4-5 years who had been kicked out of other programs. That is WAY beyond accepting a few borderline players.

I'm telling you.....

1 year at juco to get his sh!t together....I say this because if he screws up, he's likely to do it in year one. The further he gets away from the arrest (time wise) the less likely he is to repeat. Let him sit at a juco for a year and if he steps on his d!ck, you cut him loose. If he minds his manners, bring him in.

I don't think Texas can force him to go JUCO. That's a great idea if he's up for it, but I would assume he would just go play for someone else.

To say TE's are a dime a dozen shows a lack of football IQ. We don't beat USC in the NC without 10 catches from David Thomas. I knew the TE would be open because USC likes to play cover 2 and not get beat deep. That leaves your TE as a primary receiver and we killed them all game long. In fact I was telling USC fans this very thing on their board before the game. -- From Wiki: Thomas played a prominent role in the Longhorns' 41–38 National Championship upset of then No. 1 USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl, hauling in a game-high 10 receptions for 88 yards.

To say TE's are a dime a dozen shows a lack of football IQ. We don't beat USC in the NC without 10 catches from David Thomas. I knew the TE would be open because USC likes to play cover 2 and not get beat deep. That leaves your TE as a primary receiver and we killed them all game long. In fact I was telling USC fans this very thing on their board before the game. -- From Wiki: Thomas played a prominent role in the Longhorns' 41–38 National Championship upset of then No. 1 USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl, hauling in a game-high 10 receptions for 88 yards.

I don't disagree with you that we needed a TE in 2005-2006 but the game has changed since that NC. Not saying TE isn't important but you can't base what happened 11 years ago to todays game.

Last edited:
Reactions: diadevic
It depends on your offense. Some it's an important position others not so much. Elite players at any position are certainly not a dime a dozen. If Gilbert were still our OC we wouldn't have even recruited this guy because the TE in his system is basically just an extra lineman.

It depends on your offense. Some it's an important position others not so much. Elite players at any position are certainly not a dime a dozen. If Gilbert were still our OC we wouldn't have even recruited this guy because the TE in his system is basically just an extra lineman.

Looking at the past two seasons for UH it does look like Herman used his TE for receiving. As far as the B12 not so much and that maybe due to just not enough talent or offense being run. If you go back in 2005 and 2006 TE in the B12 was utilized all over.

With all due respect ---- show me your rankings of each position on the field. Then tell me how many difference making TE's there are. Then factor in the changing offenses in CFB. I have a feeling you will agree that the TE is on the lower half (and lower 1/4 to me) in terms of importance to the team. Unless you get Gronk (or a very small handful of others), then give me a clean 3 star over a 4 star with baggage. Just my 2 cents. I haven't watched all of Herman's UH games, but from what I've seen he doesn't seem to emphasize the TE like many pro teams.

Thomas was fantastic. He was also playing in a different offense and playing with VY, who commanded a spy and everyone other defender's attention because of his running abilities. But then again, I have no football IQ.

chicken and egg type thing.....if you are fortunate to get that all around great TE then you make him a feature in your offense. If you dont have that guy, you design the offense with out him

Reactions: TX1972
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT