ADVERTISEMENT

Sumlin killing it in recruiting

Did you know that SEC West teams not named A&M took 13 of the top 50 players in Texas for 2016? A&M got 6. Texas took 14.

Victory aTm!!!....dont you know that ANY accomplishment by the secsecsec automatically becomes eligible for aTm lore?...Hell, it is probably already chisled on the "glory wall" at Kyle field.....since they blew it up do they still call it Kyle field?

Sumlin won 10+ games 2x at Houston. He went 12-1 his last year, his best season which would refute the earlier remark that he gets worse as his tenure progresses. And the assertion that a coach is winning with the prior coach's players in year 4 is absurd. Yes, bag on him all you want for not winning a conference championship. For years you guys grew weary of hearing the same criticism of Mack Brown (who didn't win a CC until year 22 and only 2 in 30 years as a HC).

Look at all 4 years.

And in that best year, with a 6th year SR QB......did he even win a CC? Has he ever won ONE?

And allow me to point out yet again....deflect, Mack Brown, deflect some more, dodge the pertinent questions., point out one slanted highlight and spin!!!

Mack Brown won a National Title, Sumlin hasn't even won a Division.

Yes, bag on him all you want for not winning a conference championship.
OK. Your HC is a drunk who's never won jack sh*t in his entire career. Zero skins on the wall even after Briles left him a stacked team at UH in a "lesser" conference.

Mack Brown won a national title btw and will be a HOF coach. You aren't allowed to use Stumblin and Brown in the same sentence together. Just an FYI.

OK. Your HC is a drunk who's never won jack sh*t in his entire career. Zero skins on the wall even after Briles left him a stacked team at UH in a "lesser" conference.

Mack Brown won a national title btw and will be a HOF coach. You aren't allowed to use Stumblin and Brown in the same sentence together. Just an FYI.

No way.

Comparing Mack Browns accomplishments to Kevin Sumlins lack of accomplishments, is a totally winnable argument.

Mack Brown accomplished more in his time at UT than ATM has in their entire history. There are charts detailing this. He also dominated Aggie on the field and off it. And we fired that guy. Meanwhile they are still sucking Sumlin off for doing nothing.

The shocking thing, is that this is the defense Aggie went to on his own in this thread.

Last edited:
Truth. They would've already renamed their football stadium after him had Brown been their coach.

Aggie is really enriching this thread with some awesome stupidity. I'm getting a good chuckle out of it.

Deflecting to Mack Brown. Hilarious.

To defend Sumlin they bring up his best season. Which was like a decade ago. And happened to be at UH (not ATM) and still the guy couldn't cash in even a CC that year in whatever their weak conf was called back then.

Color me impressed mavrick, you sold me. Where can I buy Sumlin stock? At Specs liquor store?

Sorry but the facts are what they are. Sumlin just completed year 8 as a head coach. Mack Brown won his first conference title in year 22. If you would prefer that we wait until Kevin Sumlin has 30 years as a head coach to compare the 2 then OK.

Maybe you don't recall the endless grief Mack Brown was getting from UT fans for years when he couldn't beat OU. If you don't think its a valid comparison, fine. I think it is.

There are zero similarities between Brown and Sumlin, it's premature to even attempt to compare the 2.

Mack coached for 29 years as a HC, Tulane, UNC and the final 15 at Texas where he found most of his success. Mack was hired in 98 and won his fist South division title in '99. He won 6 South Division titles, 2 Big 12 titles and 1 National championship with an overall record of 238-117-1 and 21 Bowls appearances going 13-8... Mack had twelve 10 win or more seasons with twenty seasons at 8 wins or more.

Sumlin has been a HC for 8 years with limited success thus far in a weak C-USA where he won 2 West titles, O conference titles before jumping ship for TAMU where he has had 1 great season in his first season as the HC, 0 division titles and 0 conference titles with an overall record of 71-33 with 6 bowl appearances in 8 years going 4-2 in those games. Sumlin has a SEC conference record of 17-15 beating 4 scrubs a year based on how their seasons finished or being FBS to achieve an overall record of 36-16 while coaching in the SEC. Sumlin has had three 10 win or more seasons with seven at 8 or more. He's already sitting on the hot seat in Aggieland and you wan't to compare him to Mack Brown?

You would be a bloomin' idiot to attempt to compare the 2.

Try comparing Sumlin to a guy like Dabo Swinney 75-27, 5-4 in bowls, 2 ACC titles, 4 ACC Atlantic titles! Both have coached for 8 years.

Hell, Charlie Strong has 2 Big East Championships with two 10 plus win season in 6 years as a HC going 48/29 overall and 3/2 in bowl games for teams he coached for the entire year. Sumlin behind in titles?

What's funny is Tony Levine won the ticket City bowl with those Briles recruits he left for Kevin the year Sumlin left with 12 wins before going...5-7, 8-5 and 7-5 in the following three seasons with what Sumlin left him in a lesser conference than Sumlin coached in as they switched to the American.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scholz and swVAHorn
Sorry but the facts are what they are. Sumlin just completed year 8 as a head coach. Mack Brown won his first conference title in year 22. If you would prefer that we wait until Kevin Sumlin has 30 years as a head coach to compare the 2 then OK.
Yes they are. Drunklin's never won a damn thing. And he won't ever. He probably won't be alive in 20 years the way he boozes btw.

There are zero similarities between Brown and Sumlin, it's premature to even attempt to compare the 2.

Mack coached for 29 years as a HC, Tulane, UNC and the final 15 at Texas where he found most of his success. Mack was hired in 98 and won his fist South division title in '99. He won 6 South Division titles, 2 Big 12 titles and 1 National championship with an overall record of 238-117-1 and 21 Bowls appearances going 13-8... Mack had twelve 10 win or more seasons with twenty seasons at 8 wins or more.

Sumlin has been a HC for 8 years with limited success thus far in a weak C-USA where he won 2 West titles, O conference titles before jumping ship for TAMU where he has had 1 great season in his first season as the HC, 0 division titles and 0 conference titles with an overall record of 71-33 with 6 bowl appearances in 8 years going 4-2 in those games. Sumlin has a SEC conference record of 17-15 beating 4 scrubs a year based on how their seasons finished or being FBS to achieve an overall record of 36-16 while coaching in the SEC. Sumlin has had three 10 win or more seasons with seven at 8 or more. He's already sitting on the hot seat in Aggieland and you wan't to compare him to Mack Brown?

You would be a bloomin' idiot to attempt to compare the 2.

Try comparing Sumlin to a guy like Dabo Swinney 75-27, 5-4 in bowls, 2 ACC titles, 4 ACC Atlantic titles! Both have coached for 8 years.

Hell, Charlie Strong has 2 Big East Championships with two 10 plus win season in 6 years as a HC going 48/29 overall and 3/2 in bowl games for teams he coached for the entire year. Sumlin behind in titles?

What's funny is Tony Levine won the ticket City bowl with those Briles recruits he left for Kevin the year Sumlin left with 12 wins before going...5-7, 8-5 and 7-5 in the following three seasons with what Sumlin left him in a lesser conference than Sumlin coached in as they switched to the American.

I guess its time to stop all this nonsense about Tom Herman being the next big thing. He's just living off Tony Levine's recruits. =)roll=)roll=)roll=)roll=)roll

I guess its time to stop all this nonsense about Tom Herman being the next big thing. He's just living off Tony Levine's recruits. =)roll=)roll=)roll=)roll=)roll
I haven't been high on him and still think he has a ton to prove... Herman has potential, but he's coaching in the American... So, if you want to talk about your coach, lets do it. I didn't bring up Herman nor do I look for him to be at my alma mater next year where he once worked.

Aggy loves to deflect, needless to say your coach still hasn't done shit and Herman won a conference title in his first season.

Last edited:
I haven't been high on him and still think he has a ton to prove... Herman has potential, but he's coaching in the American... So, if you want to talk about your coach, lets do it. I didn't bring up Herman nor do I look for him to be at my alma mater next year where he once worked.

Aggy loves to deflect

OK. I'll talk about my coach by reposting what I said at the end earlier. Heaven forbid anyone bring up an analogy or comparison. I mean that never happens in a sports conversation and apparently is now simply "deflection":
Sumlin won 10+ games 2x at Houston. He went 12-1 his last year, his best season which would refute the earlier remark that he gets worse as his tenure progresses. And the assertion that a coach is winning with the prior coach's players in year 4 is absurd. Yes, bag on him all you want for not winning a conference championship.

Yes, bag on him all you want for not winning a conference championship.
I did that and then you got all butthurt and started deflecting to Mack Brown and Tom Herman, both of which have accomplished more than your guy ever will.

Reactions: jsto60
I did that and then you got all butthurt and started deflecting to Mack Brown and Tom Herman, both of which have accomplished more than your guy ever will.

yes, and again in your world nobody ever brings up other members of a profession in an ongoing discussion. You never do that right?
That's what I thought. So that being said here's a little more deflection for you. You run your mouth constantly about Sumlin being a "loser". Not sure how you define that. But the way I define it is by wins and losses, specifically below .500 which your head coach has now been for 2 years. So, nothing derogatory but by most any sane person's definition he is presently....a loser. Doesn't mean he's condemned to be one forever but he is right now. Feel free to spin, deflect or any other hateful nonsense you spew as usual.

OK. I'll talk about my coach by reposting what I said at the end earlier. Heaven forbid anyone bring up an analogy or comparison. I mean that never happens in a sports conversation and apparently is now simply "deflection":
Sumlin won 10+ games 2x at Houston. He went 12-1 his last year, his best season which would refute the earlier remark that he gets worse as his tenure progresses. And the assertion that a coach is winning with the prior coach's players in year 4 is absurd. Yes, bag on him all you want for not winning a conference championship.
Really, look it up... Who was starting for UofH and what classes were they a part of. Those little schools don't lose kids to attrition and the NFL like the big boys.

Shit ton of Seniors/5th year seniors on this 2 deep...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../depth_chart_non_event/fb_2011_depthchart.pdf

Starting:
QB
X receiver
H receiver
Y receiver
Z receiver
Center
RB
DE
Will LB
Mike LB
Punt returner
Kick off returner

all Seniors/mostly 5th year seniors...

Last edited:
Really, look it up... Who was starting for UofH and what classes were they a part of. Those little schools don't lose kids to attrition and the NFL like the big boys.

Shit ton of Seniors/5th year seniors on this 2 deep...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../depth_chart_non_event/fb_2011_depthchart.pdf

Starting:
QB
X receiver
H receiver
Y receiver
Z receiver
Center
RB
DE
Will LB
Mike LB
Punt returner
Kick off returner

all Seniors/mostly 5th year seniors...

Spur,

That is good research and I applaud you for that. But serious question, not a flame. So a coach recruits players, has a great class and then leaves. OK, that coach was responsible for getting the players to campus. But exactly what did that coach do with them once they got there? Nothing, he's gone and usually his staff is too. After 4 years, whatever is done with those players is the responsibility of the coach and staff that are there IMO. Here are Briles class rankings before he left:

2005 #96
2006 #98
2007 #97
2008 #81

Here is what Sumlin left Levine:

2009 #66
2010 #48
2011 #80
2012 #63

Spur,

That is good research and I applaud you for that. But serious question, not a flame. So a coach recruits players, has a great class and then leaves. OK, that coach was responsible for getting the players to campus. But exactly what did that coach do with them once they got there? Nothing, he's gone and usually his staff is too. After 4 years, whatever is done with those players is the responsibility of the coach and staff that are there IMO. Here are Briles class rankings before he left:

2005 #96
2006 #98
2007 #97
2008 #81

Here is what Sumlin left Levine:

2009 #66
2010 #48
2011 #80
2012 #63
Rankings don't mean near as much to me as talent evaluation (and development which Sumlin gets credit for), Briles was one of the best and has always won with less. Levine simply wasn't a good fit. The biggest benefit Sumlin had in that final season was the number of upper classmen on the team over talent. Those men were in the program for 4 to 5 years. IT plays a huge role.

Sumlin is a good coach, I don't think he is a great coach or recruiter. Sumlin was gifted an amazing OL roster and a generational talent at QB that allowed him to beat Bama in his inaugural season and earn his best record since taking the job, he hasn't done much with his recruits and the attrition is atrocious.

Rankings don't mean near as much to me as talent evaluation (and development which Sumlin gets credit for), Briles was one of the best and has always won with less. Levine simply wasn't a good fit. The biggest benefit Sumlin had in that final season was the number of upper classmen on the team over talent. Those men were in the program for 4 to 5 years. IT plays a huge role.

Sumlin is a good coach, I don't think he is a great coach or recruiter. Sumlin was gifted an amazing OL roster and a generational talent at QB that allowed him to beat Bama in his inaugural season and earn his best record since taking the job, he hasn't done much with his recruits and the attrition is atrocious.

I mostly agree here up to this point in his career. I think his recruiting style is to get what he perceives as they highest ranked players but is not getting the chemistry right, hence the disaster with Allen and Murray. My point in making comparisons earlier to other coaches is simply to say that the book is not finished on Sumlin. He's 8 years into his head coaching career. There are certainly warning signs and he will have to correct those to reach his potential as a head coach.

I mostly agree here up to this point in his career. I think his recruiting style is to get what he perceives as they highest ranked players but is not getting the chemistry right, hence the disaster with Allen and Murray. My point in making comparisons earlier to other coaches is simply to say that the book is not finished on Sumlin. He's 8 years into his head coaching career. There are certainly warning signs and he will have to correct those to reach his potential as a head coach.

Another later Mack parallel.

Maybe you don't recall the endless grief Mack Brown was getting from UT fans for years when he couldn't beat OU. If you don't think its a valid comparison, fine. I think it is.

How is it valid???

The sole talking point here was winning titles. Want to devolve it a little to overall win%, or avg win per season, or in conf win%, or bowl win% and Mack scores higher in ALL those areas. And again he had more CCs. And more NCs. Simple to do the "valid comparison" because Sumlin has ZERO CCs and ZERO NCs. This is why he doesn't belong in the conversation. It is a null comparison, not a valid one.

So you deflect and start talking recruiting rankings and bite off a 12 win year for Sumlin and compare it to Macks worst year. Super valid argument. Except that Mack had 12 win years. Oh yeah, along with those pesky little CCs and NCs thingies that Aggie can only dream about.

How is it valid???

The sole talking point here was winning titles. Want to devolve it a little to overall win%, or avg win per season, or in conf win%, or bowl win% and Mack scores higher in ALL those areas. And again he had more CCs. And more NCs. Simple to do the "valid comparison" because Sumlin has ZERO CCs and ZERO NCs. This is why he doesn't belong in the conversation. It is a null comparison, not a valid one.

So you deflect and start talking recruiting rankings and bite off a 12 win year for Sumlin and compare it to Macks worst year. Super valid argument. Except that Mack had 12 win years. Oh yeah, along with those pesky little CCs and NCs thingies that Aggie can only dream about.

Yes, yes after 30 years he had those titles! 30! You know what Mack Brown's record was after 8 years? 32-57-1 I'm sure at that point many thought he was nothing but a loser.
My point is that he didn't win a conference title until his 22nd year. Obviously you are taking this as an attempt by me to compare Kevin Sumlin and Mack Brown career #'s. Obviously, you cant do that when one has coached 30 years and one has coached 8.

In a different thread about whether a coach had ever had 2 losing seasons to begin a tenure and gone on to any success. A UT fan properly noted Bobby Bowden and his rough start at FSU. How stupid would it have been for someone to rush and proclaim that it was ridiculous to compare Strong and Bowden. Bowden has 377 wins, 14 CC's and 2 NC's! That wasn't the point. The point was there was an example of a coach who had gotten off to a rough start and still went on to do great things.

Attention aggys - sumlin is a dumpster fire unto himself. He has accomplished nothing to speak of in his career regardless of how long he has had to this point.... i mean he was given the keys to a&m and gotten worse each year..... thats not a bad year or 2... that is a career decimating trend. But then again, a&m is where coaches take their careers to die.

You run your mouth constantly about Sumlin being a "loser". Not sure how you define that. But the way I define it is by wins and losses, specifically below .500 which your head coach has now been for 2 years. So, nothing derogatory but by most any sane person's definition he is presently....a loser.
SMH. :rolleyes: Only an aggy would have to ask. It's defined by skins on the wall. Titles. Championships. Drunklin has zero of those. That's why he's a loser. Strong has 2 national titles as a DC and 2 conference titles and a BCS win as a HC. In other words, NOT a complete loser like your guy.

SMH. :rolleyes: Only an aggy would have to ask. It's defined by skins on the wall. Titles. Championships. Drunklin has zero of those. That's why he's a loser. Strong has 2 national titles as a DC and 2 conference titles and a BCS win as a HC. In other words, NOT a complete loser like your guy.
Would you say that after another losing season?

Reactions: Heisenberg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT