ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Notre Dame Game Day Thread

Long story short, only Jesus could turn water into wine, and I believe by now even Jesus would say "f*ck it! Give me the freshmen!" Lol

I'm willing to give them time, but as I've said many times, if they don't give up on Swoopes soon, they're digging their own graves.

I have a feeling there'll be some serious soul searching going on after this, and we'll see a lot more of heard and possibly Kai very soon. We better.

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
Long story short, only Jesus could turn water into wine, and I believe by now even Jesus would say "f*ck it! Give me the freshmen!" Lol

I'm willing to give them time, but as I've said many times, if they don't give up on Swoopes soon, they're digging their own graves.

I have a feeling there'll be some serious soul searching going on after this, and we'll see a lot more of heard and possibly Kai very soon. We better.
I do agree with that sentiment. Only Jesus can make water into wine. And I'm left only with your perceived assesment that mack was infatuated with a kid that had vinces height, more weight and just as strong an arm. And I don't discount that one bit. I've seen the kid throw in practice. I hate coming in here after watching practice and being the bearer of bad news. It literally kills me. And I still sugar coat things a bit. And for that, I apologize. I've just been leary of reporting on anything but potentially good news. I saw no good news watching swoopes. I saw no good news watching our dbs. I saw no good news watching our oline. Ditto with our running backs. Trying to put a good face on it does no one any favors. And I am truly guilty of not speaking my mind to its fullest. But where I am totally, soul crushingly frustrated is, this isn't my Texas.

This isn't the team I grew up watching. This isn't the team I played for (and I played for Mackoprick). This isn't the team that we have all come to know and love. And you must forgive me a bit because, as a business man and practical thinker, when sh!t isn't working, I blow up the project and start over. And because I am blinded by my absolute, unabashed distaste for all things Steve Patterson, my fuse and tolerance levels are super low right now. Yes, we are Texas. And yes, I think it's BS for us to EVER have a loosing season. I don't care if the Marx brothers are coaching us. We should be able to draw plays up in the dirt on game day and still have a winning record. Does that reek of entitlement? Perhaps. But those are my expectations.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
I feel the same, I'm just more bitter towards Mack for destroying this program, and willing to give the new guys some time to correct his f*ck ups. You can already see the talent level and fire from these freshmen Strong just brought in is just different. Now just imagine when these guys are the veterans and there's two more classes of players like them under them. Things like a starting secondary of davante davis, Kris Boyd, Holton Hill, Deshon Elliot and Jason Hall for starters, along with Malik and a host of beast LBs. A very smart coaches son and great athlete in Kai Locksley at QB. I just have a great feeling he's going to be special. Bigger, beefier, and more experienced Connor Williams and Vahe anchoring a veteran offensive line. I just think the future still looks bright. Takes time and patience to rebuild, but I do see the picture coming together.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
They aren't stuck with Swoopes they chose to stick to Swoopes. It's not bad luck that other QBs weren't brought in it was a decision.
Problem is they try to make swoops conform to their offense should design their offense around swoops. Old school thought but what one should do.

I agree. I'd give Strong a minimum of 5 years to turn it around.
Really? At 5 mil per? I just don't see that happening with the current status quo. Now I also don't foresee Texas losing every game this season like yall did to Notre Dame either. Hard to say how Texas or OU will finish up because I'm not sure how strong the Big 12 is this year. Most years on sheer talent alone, UT and OU can figure to out athlete half of the opponents in their schedule so at least we have that going for us.

Strong will get four..... Swoopes is still Swoopes. Heard sparked the offense until ND decided to bully the OL on back to back plays. Short lived spark. Biggest problem is still OL. ND won both lines of scrimmage.

Some funny "Shite" and drama in this thread. I had this down as a loss, I simply bought change on offense and improved OL play. My prediction was 38-28. I'm done with Watson/Wick I don't care how bad the OL can't push or hold a pocket.

Reactions: swVAHorn
The only decent transfers either weren't allowed to transfer to Texas or had no interest in Texas. Should he have kidnapped them? It's easy to say just bring in transfers, but when there's nothing better available why waste time on that? He does need to write Swoopes off. The focus should be on heard and Kai. They have potential. Swoopes has none.
How do you know that JUCOs had no interest? How do you know transfers had no interest? The only one we heard about was Gohlson. How do you know our staff TRIED to get more JUCOs or transfers? Is that knowledge out there for the rest of us to see? Not trying to argue but you said these things like you KNOW they happened.

Let me ask you this...Besides 1 decent recruiting class what has this staff DONE that makes you believe they are Championship coaches? I have not seen anything from them (other than a good class) that would make me think these are the guys! I like Strong very much but he is responsible for who he hires, and what those hires do. If he doesn't get outside his comfort zone and change then this staff will be fired next year IMO.

At this point put in the young talent and give them exp. they cant play worse than what we saw last night.

I don't see how everyone is excited for the future. How do you see Strong being able to recruit elite talent while putting a shit show like that on the field?

Lol, no, and ND would probably hang 90 on Baylor. They couldn't tackle two nobody true freshman from SMU, imagine them taking on that OL and those backs.

OU, Texas, and TCU will beat Baylor this year. Mark it down.
I love your outlook but MY GOD what team did you watch brother? This team will get crushed by baylor if something doesn't change BIG TIME...Keeping it close now would be a moral victory.

Reactions: RealBear
Call me overly practical, but you can catch lightening in a bottle. It's happened several times before. I'm going to puke in my mouth when I say this but, c0ck gobbler stoops won a natty in year two. Hoke went to a Rose Bowl in year two. I fully acknowledge and understand that NEW talent must be brought in, but in my eyes, in my mind, a good coach can also develop talent that he didn't recruit. In my mind, you can either coach kids up or you can't. Call me crazy if you want. But if we get shellacked by Cal, and mark my words, like I said early in the summer, Cal and Goff are going to be sneaky good, then what? You'll have a tough time convincing me that Cal has more talent than we do. In fact, it will be darn near impossible to convince me of that.
Clob I agree with this...some people on here act as if though the players Mack brought in are Div III talent, that is not true. Every player in the 3 deep is Div I Good. Are they All-Americans? NO. Are they good enough to play at this level and keep a damn game within reason??? YES!!! These players are not special olympians! Most were chased by SEVERAL teams that are winning and getting better RIGHT NOW.

Reactions: diadevic
The we do not have talent excuse is getting old. Look at every single player who played against ND and go back and look at who offered them and tell me why those coaches would offer scrubs.....Does this team need a lot more talent? Of course. But I want to see the talent we have at least get better......It is like this..no matter what you should improve a little with hard work and direction....Could a great coach come in with this same team and win the National Championship? NO...But he could make this team IMPROVE, make the most of the things these players CAN do....I will never believe that somehow Texas got screwed on every recruit we fought against other teams to get. Swoopes was offered by a BUNCH of teams so acting like this kid was a stretch to take is absurd...is he a bust? yes but he does have some ability...it is just not in 5 and 7 step dropback playaction passing...he needs to be replaced with Heard AND Locksley.....Some players play better under the lights and some are practice players.

I believe the team should be improving....I did not think we would beat ND...I just wanted to show we are not the "clown car" that we showed the last several games the Horns have been in. We stunk it up. I dont think we should fire Strong....I think some changes to the staff need to happen sooner rather than later.

Clob I agree with this...some people on here act as if though the players Mack brought in are Div III talent, that is not true. Every player in the 3 deep is Div I Good. Are they All-Americans? NO. Are they good enough to play at this level and keep a damn game within reason??? YES!!! These players are not special olympians! Most were chased by SEVERAL teams that are winning and getting better RIGHT NOW.
Why am I more pissed off this morning than I was last night?

Maybe it has something to do with seeing about 500 t shirt aggy fans on my way to the breakfast taco place.

clob, what's funny about aggy is they did this same thing last year after they beat South Carolina. They'll get back to reality when they finish 7-5. Rinse and repeat every year.

Art Briles is a QB recruiting guru. He fought hard to get Swoopes and lost to Mack. Interesting stuff.

I saw a post about recruit ranking for Texas horns last three years. As you had a couple classes top 10 and worst was 17 as I recall.

Baylor and Art Briles have never ever had a class rated even close to 17 before.

Clob94 speaks the truth but some will never listen and will delay fixing your program for years.

If you look at your last few coaching changes they have historically been triggered by losses to Baylor.

Now I can't help you Clob to win all these arguments with folks wearing orange colored glasses but I will be on the Brazos on Dec 5th to yell my guts out as Art Briles and Baylor blow out Strong and his staff.

That's all I can do and hope it rectifies your situation! The Big 12 needs better teams including the Horns.

Reactions: BigOlBear
They aren't stuck with Swoopes they chose to stick to Swoopes. It's not bad luck that other QBs weren't brought in it was a decision.
For the life of me, I can't figure out why ya'll didn't take Jake Hubenak. He was there for the taking and would have been an upgrade to either of your QB's. Now he is destined to be 3rd string for his entire career. Weird...

Texas
Recruiting numbers: (average rank of 8th)
Overall recruiting rank in 5 year span: 8th
Buzz: Under Mack Brown, February always was a great month. But eventually, September, October, and November rolled around, and the Longhorns would struggle. Texas had three top-five classes in our five-year span, with the other two ranking 17th (those would be Brown's final class and Charlie Strong's first

I don't think you can judge any OC when they're stuck with Swoopes and no OL. I'd say let's see what he can do when he gets some actual talent at QB and this OL grows.

That said, as I've said before, if they don't move on from Swoopes soon, that's just stupid and they will deserve all the criticism they get for that.

I can sympathize with not wanting to turn the offense over to two freshmen, but at some point you have to realize Swoopes is a lost cause, and the longer you stick with him, you're digging your own grave. You have to move on and start developing two guys that actually have potential for the future.

The problem Watson has as OC is do you get rid of Swoopes and put Heard behind center with Texas' offensive line and it is possible if not probable that his confidence will be totally destroyed leaving Texas another two years before they have a competent QB. Charley is definitely in a damned if we do, damned if we don't when it comes to replacing Tyrone. I think he should go with Heard but if the kid gets mentally destroyed his program could be set back another couple of years.

The real question may be how long will he horn fan base give Strong before lighting a fire under his backside.

And proof ut's problem is coaching:
Baylor
Recruiting numbers: (average rank of 33rd)
Finish by recruiting rank: 14th
Buzz: The Bears are another team that far surpassed its recruiting rankings. Baylor had zero top-25 classes during the five years, and one was outside the top 40. The best was 26th.

clob, what's funny about aggy is they did this same thing last year after they beat South Carolina. They'll get back to reality when they finish 7-5. Rinse and repeat every year.
My expectations for this year have not changed much. I think Texas wins 5 or 6 and A&M wins around 8. Beating a PAC12 team is not the same thing as beating a SEC team, Arizona State did not impress me physically. We will not be able to simply out athlete Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, and Ole Miss. We will need to execute better, or we will get beat

Art Briles is a QB recruiting guru. He fought hard to get Swoopes and lost to Mack. Interesting stuff.

I saw a post about recruit ranking for Texas horns last three years. As you had a couple classes top 10 and worst was 17 as I recall.

Baylor and Art Briles have never ever had a class rated even close to 17 before.

Clob94 speaks the truth but some will never listen and will delay fixing your program for years.

If you look at your last few coaching changes they have historically been triggered by losses to Baylor.

Now I can't help you Clob to win all these arguments with folks wearing orange colored glasses but I will be on the Brazos on Dec 5th to yell my guts out as Art Briles and Baylor blow out Strong and his staff.

That's all I can do and hope it rectifies your situation! The Big 12 needs better teams including the Horns.

BC baylor historically sucks balls, and losing to you guys is unacceptable.... but I am thinking Macovick (sp?) was booted due to 4-7 more so than for simply losing to baylor.... even though it may have been unacceptable, baylor doesnt have that kind of impact or influence on what Texas does with it's coaches.... Brown was let go bc he lost the program and it was sliding.... had nothing to do with losing to baylor - and lots to do with losing to ou repeatedly....

I understand all you baylor fans are working the circle jerk while you have the ability to, but your sense of ego is disturbingly way to big.... We have ALL seen trash teams turn in to flash in the pan teams for a few years before eventually settling down and falling back in to their normal places..... it will happen to baylor eventually as well... The BLUEBLOODS of CFB are bluebloods for a reason - consistent winning tradition... and i am sorry but your last 5 years does NOT qualify you as premier, or blueblood or anything else except yet another middle of the road team that managed to blow up while the traditional powers are down..... but history shows us that the bluebloods ALWAYS rise back to their proper place, while the also rans fall back to theirs....

And fwiw - art briles and the bears may have beaten Texas last year, but you sure as hell didnt blow us out.... if i recall Petty had his worst career day EVER against us, and the blocked FG return, and the retard swoopes incidents inside your 5 made that game LOOK better for you than it really was.

Total yards was in Baylors favor by 55 whole yards. Swoopes had more passing yards and a better completion percentage than Petty... Texas had a better YPC average and 20 less rushing attempts, and Texas controll TOP.... 3 turnovers was the deciding facto... and lets be honest - had swoppes giftwrapped those turnovers and more to Baylor he would have had to wrap them, tie a bow on them and add a card.... so blow us out? You may want to pump the brakes... will baylor win? quite possibly... but we sucked last year and it took everything you had, plus some luck to win.... Swoopes fumbles on your 1 when we should have tied the game up in the 1st half.... those 2 ugly picks he threw and the returned FG for 6..... you didnt blow us out and werent even in the ballark of doing so... Im actually planning on baylor to be riding 3 or 4 losses by this game anyway - ou/tcu/wvu-osu and maybe ksu as well.... so frankly i dont give a shit. But you do need to at least understand that blowing us out may seem easy at this point in time, but for soem reason Baylor was one of the few teams last year that actually had a problem with it... with that super high flying offense and Petty and your WR's etc....

Ah yes, the ole "we used to be good a decade ago so your current domination doesn't really count" defense. Haha what you should take away from our game last year is that Baylor came in and dominated Texas in your own house. You didn't even score a point until mid 3rd quarter! But hang your hat on that game, I get it, looking back after playing the Irish his year I am sure you yearn for the days of losing 28-7 at home rather than 38-3 on the road. Be proud of your moral victory. Meanwhile Baylor is going to embarrass your team again this season. Enjoy your memories, we'll be enjoying the present.

Ah yes, the ole "we used to be good a decade ago so your current domination doesn't really count" defense. Haha what you should take away from our game last year is that Baylor came in and dominated Texas in your own house. You didn't even score a point until mid 3rd quarter! But hang your hat on that game, I get it, looking back after playing the Irish his year I am sure you yearn for the days of losing 28-7 at home rather than 38-3 on the road. Be proud of your moral victory. Meanwhile Baylor is going to embarrass your team again this season. Enjoy your memories, we'll be enjoying the present.

I posted stats that you are obviously too stupid to understand... baylor didnt dominate Texas at all last year.... and the stats tell the truth.... and you arent "dominating" anything... and up until a few years ago you guys were doormats on par with ISU and kansas..... domination etc requires extended periods of time doing so, which you guys dont have... It may be hard to count for you, but i figured with 1 hand you should have been able to count the good years baylor has had in the last 20+.... I take no moral victories from any game, but i tire of hearing idiots who dont understand the game talk about dominating in a game where you out gained the opponent by like 50 yards, your QB completed 7 out of 22 for trash, and if not for a fumble on the 1 or a blocked FG returned for a TD the score would have been much different... and in case you missed it - YOU are one of those idiots.... and a bandwagon retard at that.... where exactly have you been the last few years bc it sure as hell hasnt been on here openly supporting baylor.... I swear baylor fans are starting to rival agy fans in terms of stupidity.

And I hope you guys enjoy the hell out of this year, seeing as how you will lose to TCU, okie, and at least one of osu/ksu.Plus, seeing as how you only have a string of good seasons once every 75 years or so you need to enjoy it.... too bad you wont ever get to experience what I have being a Texas fan in winning a NC and playing for others.... nobody respects baylor.. especially after you cry like you did last yea about being left out, only to choke away your bowl game in epic fashion for all to see....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT