ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Notre Dame Game Day Thread

Metcalf, bro, gobbler, fellow south texas guy, you're starting to sound like you (and others) did after the arky game. Wait till next year. Bro, next year is here and we might be WORSE than last year. It's not going to get better bro. This staff is in over their head. I told you, all of you, I went to practice and saw no improvement from week 1 to the last week. None. Did you think I was saying that to be Debbie downer the a $$hole? I know football hoss. I know talent. And I'm yelling you, we have talent. We have more than most. What we don't have are competent coaches or a competent AD. We were just put coached, out played and outclassed on network TV. Not regional, but nationwide. From Puerto Rico to Guam, everyone saw this. We are a laughing stock right now and I'm tired of all the god dang sunshine and unicorns.

This baby must be thrown out with the bath water. The longer we wait, the longer it will take to get back. Period. I said it just over a year ago "we hired the wrong guy". I like charlie strong the man. I like charlie strong the defensive coach. Charlie strong is not a head coach. Watson is not an OC or some QB guru. He sucked at colorado, he sucked at nebraska and he had a STUD recruit to coach at Louisville. He couldn't develop a case of herpes. If you guys want to sit around, trading orange tinted glasses, pumping sunshine, buying into false hype, go ahead. I'll sit back, shut up and watch. But if I have to keep piping up and saying "see, I tried to tell you" then it makes me look like an a $$hole that runs around saying "told ya so" and enjoying it, and I don't enjoy it.

This experiment has failed and failed miserably. Out of coach strong's own mouth came these words "There's no excuse for a 5 loss season at Texas ever, and there will never be another 5 loss season under me".

We're going to have 5 losses. Cal may well run us out of our own stadium. If we have 5 losses, does coach strong leave on his own accord? Would you respect him if he went back on his word?
Good post,fans want to see improvement,OL,DL.secondary,QB's,somewhere and it is just not happening and that falls on the coaching staff.I will give any freshman an excuse.

Good post,fans want to see improvement,OL,DL.secondary,QB's,somewhere and it is just not happening and that falls on the coaching staff.I will give any freshman an excuse.

Fans also have no patience. Major rebuilding jobs like this take time. Any of us with any sense were pointing to year 3 as a possible big year. One full recruiting class and year two is just not enough time. Keep running off coaches at that rate and nobody will want the job. Then what?

Oh and yes clob you did say that about Malik, but I don't think that was any news flash to many of us. I think it was pretty well known that he's special. How bout giving strong credit for landing him and the rest of that dynamic class. They've only played one game. There's many more in this class that will be special too.

Gray looked good with the carries he got. He was getting 5 yards a carry and they stopped using him. We have 3 good backs but gray should of got more carries.

He didn't touch the ball until the third drive. I am not a fan of Gray but he's our best offensive player. Not that it matters if Swoopes is your QB and your defense is swiss cheese.

Both are top 5 teams. You guys just made ND look a lot better than they probably are right now. I think Baylor would hang 50 on them

Lol, no, and ND would probably hang 90 on Baylor. They couldn't tackle two nobody true freshman from SMU, imagine them taking on that OL and those backs.

OU, Texas, and TCU will beat Baylor this year. Mark it down.

Fans also have no patience. Major rebuilding jobs like this take time. Any of us with any sense were pointing to year 3 as a possible big year. One full recruiting class and year two is just not enough time. Keep running off coaches at that rate and nobody will want the job. Then what?
Call me overly practical, but you can catch lightening in a bottle. It's happened several times before. I'm going to puke in my mouth when I say this but, c0ck gobbler stoops won a natty in year two. Hoke went to a Rose Bowl in year two. I fully acknowledge and understand that NEW talent must be brought in, but in my eyes, in my mind, a good coach can also develop talent that he didn't recruit. In my mind, you can either coach kids up or you can't. Call me crazy if you want. But if we get shellacked by Cal, and mark my words, like I said early in the summer, Cal and Goff are going to be sneaky good, then what? You'll have a tough time convincing me that Cal has more talent than we do. In fact, it will be darn near impossible to convince me of that.

Reactions: swVAHorn
Lol, no, and ND would probably hang 90 on Baylor. They couldn't tackle two nobody true freshman from SMU, imagine them taking on that OL and those backs.

OU, Texas, and TCU will beat Baylor this year. Mark it down.

Metcalf, I agree with most of what you post and you're a good dude, but Texas will not beat Baylor. No chance. Some of you want to rag on Baylor, but Art Briles has built a helluva program that used to be the laughingstock of college football. Mark it down. Baylor will blow out Texas on December 5.

I was never a big fan of the Strong hire, and what we are seeing was pretty much my fear, but you have to give him 3 years at least. Any AD that hires and fires a coach within 3 years, unless something illegal is done, is a moron and likely isn't going to make any better of a decision on the next hire.

Stoops also took over much better talent. No comparison between the two. Again, there's just not much talent there. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make that mother f*cker drink.

Haines is the perfect example. You can coach him all you want, he just doesn't have the talent. He'll still react slow and whiff on pathetic looking arm tackle attempts Idc how much coaching you give him. I honestly believe the plan was to replace him with Elliot. Let's hope Elliot gets healthy soon.

Metcalf, I agree with most of what you post and you're a good dude, but Texas will not beat Baylor. No chance. Some of you want to rag on Baylor, but Art Briles has built a helluva program that used to be the laughingstock of college football. Mark it down. Baylor will blow out Texas on December 5.

You just remember what I told you.

This will be a different team by then, and Baylor will already have been thoroughly exposed.

Now, I'm basing this on Swoopes being out of the picture, which I firmly believe he will be. However, if he's still the QB, this post never happened. Lol

Both are top 5 teams. You guys just made ND look a lot better than they probably are right now. I think Baylor would hang 50 on them
Please pass us what you're smoking. Lol. Until the second half SMU was giving Baylor everything they could handle. This isn't the SMU Pony express where talking sbout either.

I was never a big fan of the Strong hire, and what we are seeing was pretty much my fear, but you have to give him 3 years at least. Any AD that hires and fires a coach within 3 years, unless something illegal is done, is a moron and likely isn't going to make any better of a decision on the next hire.
I thought we had already established that Patterson was a jet pack wearing idiot.

I agree. I'd give Strong a minimum of 5 years to turn it around.

Metcalf I know you are behind Strong, but what's your take on Watson. Do you think he makes it to year 3?

Stoops also took over much better talent. No comparison between the two. Again, there's just not much talent there. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make that mother f*cker drink.

Haines is the perfect example. You can coach him all you want, he just doesn't have the talent. He'll still react slow and whiff on pathetic looking arm tackle attempts Idc how much coaching you give him. I honestly believe the plan was to replace him with Elliot. Let's hope Elliot gets healthy soon.

Not to get in the middle of an in-house thing, but how do you get that Stoops took over much better talent at Oklahoma? The 90s might have been one of Oklahoma's worst decades ever. They had not had a winning season in 5 years before Stoops took over. How do you get "much better talent" out of that?

Not to get in the middle of an in-house thing, but how do you get that Stoops took over much better talent at Oklahoma? The 90s might have been one of Oklahoma's worst decades ever. They had not had a winning season in 5 years before Stoops took over. How do you get "much better talent" out of that?

Because Strong was left absolute garbage. I'm not saying OU had great talent, but they did have a serviceable OL and Stoops had the good fortune of bringing in a great QB with him. He wasn't stuck with anything like Swoopes and the pathetic OL Strong inherited. Granted, Stoops also didn't have to run off 9 players for character issues, but Stoops would never have that problem.

Because Strong was left absolute garbage. I'm not saying OU had great talent, but they did have a serviceable OL and Stoops had the good fortune of bringing in a great QB with him. He wasn't stuck with anything like Swoopes and the pathetic OL Strong inherited. Granted, Stoops also didn't have to run off 9 players for character issues, but Stoops would never have that problem.

Well, by comparison, Texas was 8-5, 9-4, 8-5 in Mack Brown's last 3 years, vs. 3-8, 4-8, 5-6 before Stoops took over. I just don't see it. I get you are trying to defend your coach and all, but I think you overreached on this comparison.

Reactions: Yahtzee01
Metcalf I know you are behind Strong, but what's your take on Watson. Do you think he makes it to year 3?

I don't think you can judge any OC when they're stuck with Swoopes and no OL. I'd say let's see what he can do when he gets some actual talent at QB and this OL grows.

That said, as I've said before, if they don't move on from Swoopes soon, that's just stupid and they will deserve all the criticism they get for that.

I can sympathize with not wanting to turn the offense over to two freshmen, but at some point you have to realize Swoopes is a lost cause, and the longer you stick with him, you're digging your own grave. You have to move on and start developing two guys that actually have potential for the future.

Reactions: westx
Well, by comparison, Texas was 8-5, 9-4, 8-5 in Mack Brown's last 3 years, vs. 3-8, 4-8, 5-6 before Stoops took over. I just don't see it. I get you are trying to defend your coach and all, but I think you overreached on this comparison.

You can't go by previous records. Too many variables go into that. For example, Swoopes was NOT the QB for those previous seasons at Texas. If he was, those records would've been much worse. Same as Josh Heupel was not the QB at OU before Stoops arrived. If he had been their records would've been better.

They aren't stuck with Swoopes they chose to stick to Swoopes. It's not bad luck that other QBs weren't brought in it was a decision.

It's game one with two freshmen behind him. Let's see how it plays out.

Metcalf.... it has just occurred to me that we are arguing the same point, just from a different angle. You say "if you stick with swoopes" I say, shouldn't swoopes have developed under great teaching? If you have a great teacher, even the most mediocre of talent should show SOME improvement. If you were a math teacher and for 2 years you tried to teach a kid his multiplication tables and he was unable to do so, I would have to say, "bro, maybe teaching isn't for you". Because as a teacher, you should at least be making progress with those multiplication tables. We can all agree, swoopes isn't getting better. Anyone can improve under the proper teaching. You want swoopes benched, and rightly so. But ask yourself this, if Watson was truly a great teacher, why is he, and strong, unable to at least improve swoopes play a little? I'm not asking for VY, but James Brown would be great. And therein lies the point I'm trying to make and that you agree with tangentially. Swoopes sucks, but shouldn't he at least be a tiny bit better? If he's not better, if he's been "winning the locker room over" as the coaches suggest he has, then that means he must be working hard. If he's working hard, then why isn't he better? In my opinion, it's because the staff doesn't know how to utilize what talent he does have, or develop new talents in him that show promise. That's what great coaches are supposed to do.

I think strong is a very good coach, defensively. Watson is a bust. One hit wonder. But strong hired Watson, and fair or not, we are judged by the company we keep.

I was under the impression that we had already established that pa
topdecktmember: 20610 said:
I don't think you can judge any OC when they're stuck with Swoopes and no OL. I'd say let's see what he can do when he gets some actual talent at QB and this OL grows.

That said, as I've said before, if they don't move on from Swoopes soon, that's just stupid and they will deserve all the criticism they get for that.

I can sympathize with not wanting to turn the offense over to two freshmen, but at some point you have to realize Swoopes is a lost cause, and the longer you stick with him, you're digging your own grave. You have to move on and start developing two guys that actually have potential for the future.

No clob, Swoopes has zero potential. There's just nothing there. No amount of coaching can help him. By your logic a great coach shouldn't even have to recruit a talented QB. He could just take anybody out of the student body and coach him up. Doesn't work that way. There has to be some talent and something between the ears to work with. Swoopes has neither.

Reactions: westx
Now, if they don't realize that and move on from him soon, then that's just stupid and that's on the coaches. Those two freshmen simply cannot be any worse, and at least have some athletic ability and some football IQ. You have to start developing them for the future and stop wasting time with a lost cause.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Btw clob, do I need to remind you Swoopes played at a tiny high school that won all of 1 game his senior year? Anybody with talent should've dominated at that level. And Mack the genius took him over JT Barrett! Just a little reminder who to direct your frustration at over our QB situation. I dare say Strong and Watson would be getting a lot less criticism if they were working with Barrett. Then again, stupid recruiting decisions like that are part of the reason Strong and Watson are here.

No clob, Swoopes has zero potential. There's just nothing there. No amount of coaching can help him. By your logic a great coach shouldn't even have to recruit a talented QB. He could just take anybody out of the student body and coach him up. Doesn't work that way. There has to be some talent and something between the ears to work with. Swoopes has neither.
No no no, not what I'm saying. Colt McCoy came from a tiny school and grew into a great college QB. We all had our questions about skinny little colt when he first started after vince left. Remember colt getting his a$$ knocked off against Ohio St? I turned to my then girlfriend and said "aj hawk just hit him harder than he's ever been hit in his life. And he got up". Colt was rough around the edges, but he grew into a great college qb. Swoopes has talent. You don't get a full ride to Texas if you have no talent. We can all agree on that. Otherwise, we'd have all played there. My issue is mining that talent. Can we mine whatever talent he has? If not, then it's a reflection on his learning process or on the teaching process. Kids learn differently. I'm sure you know kids that are audio learners and kids that are sight learners as well as kids that are hands on learners. Some hear it, some see it, some have to do it. This is no different that teaching school. I just am at a loss to figure out why so many of these kids, talented many of them, aren't reaching their potential.

Can't compare the two. Colt actually had success in high school, and obviously had a much better football IQ, and a tougher mentality to boot. I'm telling you Swoopes only got offered because Mack was wowed by his size and arm strength. It was completely stupid as Mack should've seen that this QB couldn't even succeed at a tiny school, and should've seen his lack of football intelligence. Swoopes should've never even been considered by Texas. It was only Mack's stupidity and laziness that got him here. I guarantee you wouldn't be near as hard on Watson if he was working with Barrett. I don't know if Watson is worth a damn or not, but I'm not willing to roast him with what he's had to work with.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT