ADVERTISEMENT

Texas' pitch to Nick Townsend ... come be a star on either side of the ball

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Nick Townsend.jpg

Spring Dekaney athlete Nick Townsend took his final official visit this weekend, making his way to Austin to see the Texas Longhorns. With that trip behind him, Townsend will no work towards a July 10 commitment from a final grouping of schools that includes Texas, Alabama, Texas A&M, USC and LSU.

Townsend, a Rivals250 member, was hosted by tight end Juan Davis on his Texas official visit. The Longhorns are looking at the versatile Townsend as an offensive player, but the coaches have told him they’d be more than happy to have him line up on defense if that’s what he prefers.

“I went to both meetings,” Townsend said, noting that he sat in on both offensive and defensive meetings. “They said that I’m a special person, they can put me anywhere, play any position.”

As for a positional preference, Townsend said he doesn’t have one.

“I don’t really care. I just want to play football,” He said.

When he announces his commitment on July 10, he’ll do so alongside Dekaney teammate Tanook Hines, who also visited Texas this month. While the two have discussed the possibility of playing together in college, Townsend said it’s not set in stone. Ultimately, both players have to do what’s best for their individual futures, Townsend said. If it works out that those choices put them at the same school, that would be great, but the two aren’t locked in to playing together at the next level.

“We’d love to play with each other. It’s a 50/50 chance,” Townsend said.

With a little more than two weeks to go before he makes a decision, Townsend described the race as “pretty tight.” He and his family will spend some time in the coming days weighing all options.

“I’ll sit down with my family. We have a PowerPoint with all the schools. We’ll be going over that probably on Monday night,” Townsend said.

The 6-3, 225-pound Townsend is ranked No. 172 on the Rivals250.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News