ADVERTISEMENT

Thought provoking article on the horizon for the BigXII and possible growth

Cincy and Houston is my guess at this point. Not many quality teams left on the board.

Hook 'em

It depends on what they are looking for. And what voices speak loud in the room.

If they want football accumen. All around programs good in multiple sports. A sprinkle of academics. Nice game venues. Guess is mostly TV sets. It'll probably be a banter of all of the above.

I don't see UH making the cut as an early target, but they'd be a fall back option. For the same reasons they haven't been looked at in the past. They really are a sleeping giant in football and possibly other sports if they ever were placed in a p5 conference. They just don't add TV sets and certain powers in the conf don't want to strengthen them with no real monetary TV gain from them.

This is where I question Bowlsby. He may be great, but he may suck. Our conference got fleeced of 4 solid programs due, in large part, to lack of leadership at the commissioner's level. He wasn't present at the time. But now he is. Why not take a page from Big 10 and SEC playbook, and troll someone else? There's no way every single Power 5 school is happy with their situation. BYU will be fine, but Cincy, UH, Boise, and whoever else will not add the power win necessary to get in the Final 4. I sense Bowlsby is a do nothing bureaucrat. Go find that unhappy gem Bowlsby.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsto60
The only conference we can fleese is the SEC, and I can't think of a single scenario where an SEC school would leave that conference for the Big 12.

Best option for Texas is getting out of the Big 12. ASAP

Scholz, I love you brother, and I love UT. I never want differences in topics of conversation to become personal. I am glad that our conversation never went there.

Reactions: Scholz
The only way that expansion would be worth it would be to get a power 5 school from a top 30 TV market not already in the current footprint. The the two biggest losses from the Big 12 were Missouri and Colorado. Denver is the 18th biggest market, St Louis is the 21st and KC is the 31st.

The additions of BYU and Cincy would bring the 33rd and 34th biggest markets. If you really want to bring in dollars from TV then Tampa 13th, Orlando 19th, and Charlotte 24th make much more sense. Heck Atlanta 8th and Nashville 29th would be worth looking at.

I think taking Clemson, FSU, va tech, Miami out of the ACC makes sense. The ACC is basically a basketball conference. Problem is I think the ACC has made it basicslly impossible to Leave. If the conferece wants to expand they'll have to just take good programs. The chase for tv money is over and the big 12 got caught napping.

Reactions: diadevic and jsto60
I will say it again....start wooing Georgia Tech....located in ATL and good academics....pretty strong FB and BB programs....wouldnt mind pissing off the SEC....they were a charter member after all...how strongly could they be linked to the ACC?

I think taking Clemson, FSU, va tech, Miami out of the ACC makes sense. The ACC is basically a basketball conference. Problem is I think the ACC has made it basicslly impossible to Leave. If the conferece wants to expand they'll have to just take good programs. The chase for tv money is over and the big 12 got caught napping.

Big 12 would have to pony up about 160 million as it would cost us about 35 million each to take them out of the ACC and their no out contract. I think Maryland ended up paying about 32 million to get out of the ACC for the Big 10.

Big 12 would have to pony up about 160 million as it would cost us about 35 million each to take them out of the ACC and their no out contract. I think Maryland ended up paying about 32 million to get out of the ACC for the Big 10.
Yeah they made it virtually impossible to get out after all the realignment I think there was a time where that was an option. The big 12 let it pass by. Although perhaps if the schools and conferences agreed to pay the sums together maybe it's possible, but your right the idea has past most likely.

UConn would be my first choice. The Only downside to UConn is they are not the best football program right now but it is a young and promising football program plus they have A+ men's basketball A+ women's basketball and the New York/New England TV market. Cincinnati brings a good basketball program and a solid football program and also adds Ohio recruiting with a Big12 footprint. You also get the Cincinnati/Ohio TV market. These two both have negative issues but the positives outweigh them IMO. Two reasons that both these two schools would be great additions are 1. A conference championship game generates more revenue for all eventually. 2. With Big12 revenue these schools would flourish. It won't happen overnight but going from 7-8 million in revenue to 25-30 million would put both these schools at the level the Big12 needs them. It also enables East/West divisions and WVU is no longer geographically isolated.

One more thing I think the smart thing for the Big12 to do is not be satisfied with 12. Go to 14. Add UConn, Cincinnati, BYU Houston. On paper that is a pretty damn good football and basketball conference.

One more thing I think the smart thing for the Big12 to do is not be satisfied with 12. Go to 14. Add UConn, Cincinnati, BYU Houston. On paper that is a pretty damn good football and basketball conference.

The current Big 12 payout is 25 million per team. In order to maintain those levels UConn, Cincinnati, BYU and Houston would have to add 100 million to the annual TV contract. Houston adds nothing because the Big 12 has a solid presence in that market which means the 100 million would have to come from adding UConn, Cincy, and BYU. Those teams don't have the juice to draw that kinda money. If you want to go that route UCF, USF, ECU, and Georgia Southern put you in much larger TV markets. But then again who wants to see an Kansas/ECU game.

If Brigham Young were to join the Big XII it would only be in football. As a Mormon I can tell you the church is adamantly opposed to playing on Sunday which means no to pretty much everything else. Actually a lot of Mormons feel you're not supposed to do anything on Sunday. However, it has become a intense argument at BYU about athletic teams playing on Sunday. They point out that a lot of Mormons especially professional athletes play on Sunday. Personally I would like to see them in the Big XII for all sports they certainly proved to Texas that they can play.

BYU is to Mormons what ND is to Catholics. They would bring nothing but tv sets. There are reportedly over 6 million Mormons in this country.

Well actually there are 8 million in the US. But I've never gotten the impression that BYU has the kind of intense following among Mormons. And I don't think ND has the kind of following among Catholics anymore.

The ACLU recently defended a Mormon student's religious rights in West Virginia for this very act. The Mormon student completed his freshman year and filed paperwork with the scholarship board to hold his scholly while away on mission. They denied it. Now, they are going to court.

I can't believe WV tried to pull that. there's no way they'll win in court. I know that lots of Mormons on scholarship that went on missions and the universities didn't take their schollys away.

Baylor is still affiliated with the SBC and the Regents are elected by the former regents and by the Baptist General Convention of Texas. If you are interested go look at the members of the board of Regents. The members are either business leaders who graduated from Baylor in the 70s and 80s or Baptist Pastors who went to Baylor.

And recently I read a study that listed Baylor as among the 10 most religious schools in the country. Correct me if I'm wrong diadevic but you still have to attend chapel your freshman year.

Also ND and BYU are on that list.

You know they wouldn't bring a lot of tv's to the Big XII but I wonder if Arkansas would come to the Big XII. They had rivalries with UT, TT, TCU, Baylor, and OSU. Geographically they'd be perfect. Those hillbillies really follow the razorbacks. And old timers would get reacquainted with how crude, rude, and obnoxious Arkansas fans are. And from a guy who has attended a lot of RRR, and UT/AR games the sooner fans are not that bad compared to AR. Bret Bielema would give me a coach I can't stand when TX plays them. For cowboy haters it might interest you to know that one of the most influential alums in AR fb is none other than Jerry Jones. But Frank Broyles engineered AR's defection from the SWC to the SEC and as long as he's alive he won't allow it. He may be in his 90's now but even now he still has an iron clad grip over AR athletics. But they would be a great addition if it can be pulled off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT