ADVERTISEMENT

Thought provoking article on the horizon for the BigXII and possible growth

Heathen persecutors in Austin. lulz.

ut2.jpg

I assumed the comments about TCU and Baylor were accurate. Maybe it is unfair because I have nothing valid for which to base that assumption. I am a Christian and proud of it. But, I have to say I know I have seen how pastors and religious leadership get towards different faiths. I don't have enough knowledge to argue any other doctrine, but I just don't care whether somebody is catholic, non-denominational, baptist or mormon...

That's a bit strong isn't it? Seems to me he was anti-religious bigotry against Mormonism in the context of a football conference. If you equate that with being anti-Christian, then that might be telling.

BTW, I think Cal objected to Baylor's inclusion in a potential merger with the PAC a few years back. Same kind of religious bigotry.
"Why would anyone give an F about their religious objections ..." I assumed the "F" as indicator of an anti -Christian viewpoint. Maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, you raise a valid point on me - Jesus questioned how I can see the speck in my neighbor's eye when there is a log in my own eye.
My only point is --- this thread has gotten way out of hand, based on the premise that Baylor and TCU would object to BYU joining the conference. But no one has pointed to a source, credible or not, that they would object, other than generalizations that pastors are anti-Mormon. Enough of this speculation. Its time to celebrate a Baylor Bowl win! Who needs Seth Russell!

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Baylor could care less about BYU being Mormans.

Honestly there are two problems with BYU.

1. The olympic sports we all play on Sunday
They want allow it. You talking baseball and women's basketball for example.

2. They are as arrogant and controlling as UT. I don't believe the rest of the conferance could stomach two of you. Now that is the truth!

There's nothing that could have been done four years ago that would have made any meaningful difference in the conference's long-term viability.

I don't buy that. That is the agenda they sold us.

But the reason that is, is they weren't trying to be proactive. The powers that be were being reactive. And that was the biggest failure of all. Especially when every other conference got very proactive and starting poaching, we became the sitting duck. They made that our reality.

Had they been proactive and made moves first, FSU/Clemson and many other attractive options were on the table. Can you say Notre Dame? Its not like ND went to the weak ACC and the BigXII could have woo'd them or anything. Hell they could have simply kept some of what was here by reworking things. Instead they let teams leave. Thought we could survive as a 10 team league. And they arrogantly thought the bottom line would be just as profitable. And they thought it could thrive. Then more teams left and they were screwed trying to scramble to make it back to 10. At that point, they still had top options who were sniffing, but yes you are right they were not begging and it was a tough sell by then. And that is when they sold you the agenda you are buying. But even then BYU/Cincy/others were an option. They just felt it better to stay at 10 with TCU and WVU.

And they are now admitting they were wrong to do that and are looking too late to add. The options are less today, than they were back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: diadevic
Enough of this speculation. Its time to celebrate a Baylor Bowl win! Who needs Seth Russell!
Congrats on your win. Just shows what a good coach Briles is to put that good of an offense together in short order with a lack of a passing game. To quote an old coach Bum Phillips, "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n".

"Why would anyone give an F about their religious objections ..." I assumed the "F" as indicator of an anti -Christian viewpoint. Maybe I'm wrong.
Another viewpoint is that he didn't want religious objections keeping us from improving the conference. I would submit that not wanting religion imposed on you is not the same thing as being against that religion. People just want others to keep it to themselves.

Reactions: diadevic
BYU...

2. They are as arrogant and controlling as UT. I don't believe the rest of the conferance could stomach two of you. Now that is the truth!
Uh oh. Somebody better call the Waaaaaambulance.

BYU-"No drinking, no dancing, no sex, etc"...which makes them even more dangerous.

Somehow BYU starts 22yr old freshman plus they have an "in" to several Somoian areas and are nationally recognized vs Cinci.

BYU would be a strong addition, not so sure about Cinci. Surely there is another team out there the Big XII can pick up that tops Cinci.

Georgia Tech....they have already been in damn near every conference anyway

Who cares about religion here?

Lets be honest. TCU and BU really don't have the power to push out BYU. If the conference commish and the other 8 schools are all in on getting BYU, they are coming. The commish is reportedly worried about the viability of this conf, as are the members. If getting BYU or Satan U from Mexico City would save his job, he'd do it. BU's vote or UT/OUs vote be damned.

Thats the real story here. How this vote goes down, will dictate whether the conf will add or stay put. And that has huge ramifications on whether the conf ultimately survives years from now or how it will change/grow/adapt.

The other reality is that Texas in some ways caused this.

I hate to even type that because the haters will pounce on it and 99% of the things they blame us for are NOT true. Like ATM left and blamed Texas and LHN, but in reality we tried to help them with Joint Lonestar network and their internal documents/emails admitted they could make more $ in BigXII with their own TV deal but that they needed to get out of daddy Texas' shadow.

But back to the first sentence. UT had a big voice in this conf realignment in the beginning. And really wasn't sure what they wanted to do. Other than they wanted to make sure they still got their $. And less teams meant more $. And arrogantly thought with UT and OU this conf would be able to survive no matter what. And if it was crumbling that they could fix it. Well its crumbling. And not just now, but in the future this status quo of stability is going to change and more conf realignment is coming. Right now everyone is feeling out if the move to larger divisions is better and how it pertains to the new playoff mix. But more is coming, and we are right now in a weakened state of negotiation as it pertains to being a stable place to come hang out. They need to hit that 12 mark if the vote goes against 10 team CC games AND THEY KNOW IT.

The reactive nature led to this. Not the idea that there was no one to add. Pieces literally flew all around the country in a maze of new conference alignment. When they were forced to add....they did with TCU and WVU. If they had wanted to add more before/after that....they could have. And some would have been great moves and big time programs. They just failed to do so because the conf Pres at the time wasn't trying to.

All perceptions of this conference would change if UT went 11-1 or 12-0. Go get Chip Kelly!

All perceptions of this conference would change if UT went 11-1 or 12-0. Go get Chip Kelly!

I disagree. OU just did this. And they are a prestigious program.

The conf as a whole was viewed as pretty tough this year. Many pundits had it behind the Pac12 as the deepest conf.

That still doesn't mean it is viable and or at its strongest in the coming years by staying at 10 or not having a CC game. Views change. The reality of what the conf guys say of "not having a 13th data point to enhance a teams cache in terms of a CC game" won't change no matter who wins 12 games.

It is what it is, they are going to react towards this vote by then deciding to respond and start being proactive for the future.

Presidents, Chancellors and Boards of Regents are the ones that have the say in expansion. The concern was would the money be used to upgrade facilities or would the money be used to support the Mormon Church. I'm not getting into here but if you are interested you can google Southern Baptist Convention and Mormon and see why Baylor wouldn't be all to keen to bring BYU on board.
Bailor broke with the SBC years ago. Again, Bailor is far, far from being the Christian university it once was.

Last edited:
Baylor is still affiliated with the SBC and the Regents are elected by the former regents and by the Baptist General Convention of Texas. If you are interested go look at the members of the board of Regents. The members are either business leaders who graduated from Baylor in the 70s and 80s or Baptist Pastors who went to Baylor.

Who cares?????

Unlike the last go round, this BigXII commish is trying to keep his job. Not be the lacky for a U or 2. Certainly not BU or TCU. When it comes to adding TV sets to the conf and the conf making $, that trumps any concerns about religion. This is about football, baseball, basketball, tv deals, student athletes traveling to campuses, and the conference reacting to probably not being allowed to have a CC game at 10 teams and then admitting they want to go to 12. Its not about church.

Last I checked the SBC gets the same vote in this expansion that Obama, Donald Trump, Mack Brown and that you or I do. None.

They aren't going to say "hey lets go to 12 teams" and then weeks later say "damn we can't do it without BYU so lets not do it".

BYU and Cincy were just the likely scenario from the educated writer of the story based on his homework.

Cincy and Houston is my guess at this point. Not many quality teams left on the board.

Hook 'em

It depends on what they are looking for. And what voices speak loud in the room.

If they want football accumen. All around programs good in multiple sports. A sprinkle of academics. Nice game venues. Guess is mostly TV sets. It'll probably be a banter of all of the above.

I don't see UH making the cut as an early target, but they'd be a fall back option. For the same reasons they haven't been looked at in the past. They really are a sleeping giant in football and possibly other sports if they ever were placed in a p5 conference. They just don't add TV sets and certain powers in the conf don't want to strengthen them with no real monetary TV gain from them.

This is where I question Bowlsby. He may be great, but he may suck. Our conference got fleeced of 4 solid programs due, in large part, to lack of leadership at the commissioner's level. He wasn't present at the time. But now he is. Why not take a page from Big 10 and SEC playbook, and troll someone else? There's no way every single Power 5 school is happy with their situation. BYU will be fine, but Cincy, UH, Boise, and whoever else will not add the power win necessary to get in the Final 4. I sense Bowlsby is a do nothing bureaucrat. Go find that unhappy gem Bowlsby.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsto60
The only conference we can fleese is the SEC, and I can't think of a single scenario where an SEC school would leave that conference for the Big 12.

Best option for Texas is getting out of the Big 12. ASAP

Scholz, I love you brother, and I love UT. I never want differences in topics of conversation to become personal. I am glad that our conversation never went there.

Reactions: Scholz
The only way that expansion would be worth it would be to get a power 5 school from a top 30 TV market not already in the current footprint. The the two biggest losses from the Big 12 were Missouri and Colorado. Denver is the 18th biggest market, St Louis is the 21st and KC is the 31st.

The additions of BYU and Cincy would bring the 33rd and 34th biggest markets. If you really want to bring in dollars from TV then Tampa 13th, Orlando 19th, and Charlotte 24th make much more sense. Heck Atlanta 8th and Nashville 29th would be worth looking at.

I think taking Clemson, FSU, va tech, Miami out of the ACC makes sense. The ACC is basically a basketball conference. Problem is I think the ACC has made it basicslly impossible to Leave. If the conferece wants to expand they'll have to just take good programs. The chase for tv money is over and the big 12 got caught napping.

Reactions: diadevic and jsto60
I will say it again....start wooing Georgia Tech....located in ATL and good academics....pretty strong FB and BB programs....wouldnt mind pissing off the SEC....they were a charter member after all...how strongly could they be linked to the ACC?

I think taking Clemson, FSU, va tech, Miami out of the ACC makes sense. The ACC is basically a basketball conference. Problem is I think the ACC has made it basicslly impossible to Leave. If the conferece wants to expand they'll have to just take good programs. The chase for tv money is over and the big 12 got caught napping.

Big 12 would have to pony up about 160 million as it would cost us about 35 million each to take them out of the ACC and their no out contract. I think Maryland ended up paying about 32 million to get out of the ACC for the Big 10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT