ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer

The worst spot? Holy Sh!t your credibility is lost with this post. The only way Shanahan is leaving San Fran for Texas is with a gun to his head and his parents in a kidnap van...nevermind I guess the BMD ain't fu#$king around...nice.
How is my credibility shot with that post? Any NFL guy will tell you the worst spot to be in is to have a great roster with a mediocre QB, because you’ll never be bad enough to get your hands on a franchise QB, but you’ll not be quite good enough to get to the top of the mountain At least if I’m god awful there is a reward at the end of the tunnel

Yeah I didn’t say they sucked. They probably have one of the best rosters in the league. But if you don’t have a stud QB you aren’t going to the promise land. That’s just the way the NFL is these days.

Name all the NFL coaches that have quit their jobs because they didn't have a stud QB.

9 million in Austin, TX goes a lot further than 9 million in San Francisco does. Something to keep in mind

So we are going to pay Kyle Shanahan, a guy with zero college coaching experience, $9M a year?

How is my credibility shot with that post? Any NFL guy will tell you the worst spot to be in is to have a great roster with a mediocre QB, because you’ll never be bad enough to get your hands on a franchise QB, but you’ll not be quite good enough to get to the top of the mountain At least if I’m god awful there is a reward at the end of the tunnel

Yeah there are no examples of a good NFL teams with an average to mediocre qb win championships. Dude, Shanahan ain't leaving San Fran for Austin...he won't even leverage the 49ers with the possibility for more money. The worst spot in the NFL starts with the Cowboys with Jerrah as the Owner and GM and goes up drastically from there. UM may end up in Austin but KS is not going to take a step back. BTW you keep bringing up a mediocre QB, which I don't agree with, but JG's contract allows San Fran to get out of it.

Yeah there are no examples of a good NFL teams with an average to mediocre qb win championships. Dude, Shanahan ain't leaving San Fran for Austin...he won't even leverage the 49ers with the possibility for more money. The worst spot in the NFL starts with the Cowboys with Jerrah as the Owner and GM and goes up drastically from there. UM may end up in Austin but KS is not going to take a step back. BTW you keep bringing up a mediocre QB, which I don't agree with, but JG's contract allows San Fran to get out of it.

Chicago Bears - Jim McMahon
New York Giants - Jeff Hostetler
Baltimore Ravens - Trent Dilfer
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Brad Johnson

It's not real common that a team wins a Super Bowl with an average QB, but it happens occasionally.

It's not real common that a team wins a Super Bowl with an average QB, but it happens occasionally.

Philadelphia Eagles - Nick Foles
Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flacco
New York Giants - Eli Manning (debatable)

Reactions: LonghornMM
Philadelphia Eagles - Nick Foles
Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flacco
New York Giants - Eli Manning (debatable)

Idk if I would put Eli name in there, he has the same amount of Super bowls as his brother and Eli is the only one that can say he has beaten the GOAT two times and kept him from having 8 super bowls. Think about that one for a minute....

I agree with you; lost in translation sarcasm on the internet 😁

Nope. We’re going to pay Billy Upandcomer 800k and hope he figures it out!

By your definition, all of the following coaches were upandcomers when they got their first big time job:

Kirby Smart
Ryan Day
Dabo Sweeny
Mike Gundy
Gary Pattrrson
Bob Stoops
Art Briles
Lincoln Riley
Mark Richt
Jim Harbaugh
David Shaw
Jeremy Pruitt
Steve Spurrier

But hey, let's make a coach that had zero experience running a D1 program $9M.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
By your definition, all of the following coaches were upandcomers when they got their first big time job:

Kirby Smart
Ryan Day
Dabo Sweeny
Mike Gundy
Gary Pattrrson
Bob Stoops
Art Briles
Lincoln Riley
Mark Richt
Jim Harbaugh
David Shaw
Jeremy Pruitt
Steve Spurrier

I still like Matt Campbell! Hes done miracles with ISU! Hes am force to be reckoned with and getting better with lessor players...

I still like Matt Campbell! Hes done miracles with ISU! Hes am force to be reckoned with and getting better with lessor players...

Not experienced enough, he's still learning and not ready for Texas. He obviously knows football but he hasn't had to deal with the pressures of a job like Texas. We need someone with more experience at a big program. This is going to be a culture rebuild and you can't have a coach who isn't proven leading it. No one will listen to them and the first sign of trouble the fans and players will give up on him. It HAS to be a veteran head coach who is respected.

Matt Campbell is 29-27.

We have people on this message board throwing around names that are so laughablly unrealistic.

Why aren't we calling Belicheck, If we only want to consider the very top candidates? And people scoff when you suggest that they won't drop everything and jump at the chance to deal with players like Caden Sterns and BMDs that continuously want their a$$es kissed.

Since 2010, Texas universities have produced 6 11-win seasons. That's 5 for TCU and 1 for everybody else. From a coach that takes 2A and 3A level players turns them into NFL 1st rounders with facilities that in no way compare to ours. Did I mention that he's 7-2 against us? But were not going to call him, because he won't take the job? Imagine what Patterson could accomplish with the level of talent he could get at Texas. He's got screwed out of a playoff appearance, beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, whipped Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl so bad they only crossed the 50 twice, and went toe to toe with Ohio State in prime time. That's with TCU.

And let's be perfectly clear. I am not against gauging the interest of top tier candidates. I am against excluding candidates because they don't check all of the ridiculously arbitrary "requirements" posters deem necessary to be the HC at Texas. I believe that those very "requirements" are the reason why we have ended up with our last 2 coaches.

Reactions: Aggy=Nazi
You should. 26 posts, 23 likes. If the truth of my posts gives you a butt hurt, too bad.

If everybody keeps going down that crazy rabbit hole that is "UM or bust", you will face the same circumstances that got you Charlie Strong. And everybody knows how that went so well.

Another G5/hot coach will cause Texas to lose a substantial portion of its fanbase. That ship has sailed.

No on Matt Campbell. NO NO NO NO. He's not ready for Texas. Very few of these small town coaches can handle the demands of UT Austin. That's why an NFL coach or UM is more suited for this job.

NO MORE LEARNING ON THE JOB!!! STOP IT!!!

Matt Campbell is 29-27.

We have people on this message board throwing around names that are so laughablly unrealistic.

Why aren't we calling Belicheck, If we only want to consider the very top candidates? And people scoff when you suggest that they won't drop everything and jump at the chance to deal with players like Caden Sterns and BMDs that continuously want their a$$es kissed.

Since 2010, Texas universities have produced 6 11-win seasons. That's 5 for TCU and 1 for everybody else. From a coach that takes 2A and 3A level players turns them into NFL 1st rounders with facilities that in no way compare to ours. Did I mention that he's 7-2 against us? But were not going to call him, because he won't take the job? Imagine what Patterson could accomplish with the level of talent he could get at Texas. He's got screwed out of a playoff appearance, beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, whipped Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl so bad they only crossed the 50 twice, and went toe to toe with Ohio State in prime time. That's with TCU.

And let's be perfectly clear. I am not against gauging the interest of top tier candidates. I am against excluding candidates because they don't check all of the ridiculously arbitrary "requirements" posters deem necessary to be the HC at Texas. I believe that those very "requirements" are the reason why we have ended up with our last 2 coaches.

It's not that we wouldn't want Patterson, it's that he won't leave TCU. He will retire there as long as he has an occasional good year.

I’m sure I’ll get raked over the coals for this but if the UT bigwigs want Meyer but for whatever reason it doesn’t happen, my 2nd choice would be Art Briles. Briles is a damn good coach, the mess that happened at Baylor wasn’t his fault but he gets ALL the blame. The guy can certainly recruit and coach.
I said this also and it’s a shame cause if we had hired him before Strong we would be right there with Bama and Clemson

I said this also and it’s a shame cause if we had hired him before Strong we would be right there with Bama and Clemson

Yes

The problem that Texas fans encounter is this:

UT administration is like a family of trust fund kids that are inept and tend toward laziness until the money is revoked.

The UT fanbase are the parents and the money is about to be revoked. Let's see what happens when the kids are threatened.

Kirby Smart
Ryan Day
Dabo Sweeny
Mike Gundy
Gary Pattrrson
Bob Stoops
Art Briles
Lincoln Riley
Mark Richt
Jim Harbaugh
David Shaw
Jeremy Pruitt
Steve Spurrier

No list all the ones that didn't work out...it honestly makes zero sense how obtuse you're being. "Well, we may not get the good coach, so don't even talk to his people...we're too good to be told no."

And by the by, I put Jeremy Pruitt on my list of coaches.

Who is on your list DJ?

You should. 26 posts, 23 likes. If the truth of my posts gives you a butt hurt, too bad.

If everybody keeps going down that crazy rabbit hole that is "UM or bust", you will face the same circumstances that got you Charlie Strong. And everybody knows how that went so well.

Urban or bust doesn't mean that if Urban says you no, you just shut the program down. Holy shit man.

Are you also of the opinion that Texas shouldn't even pursue such a candidate? Like DJ, we're too good to be told no?

Yes

The problem that Texas fans encounter is this:

UT administration is like a family of trust fund kids that are inept and tend toward laziness until the money is revoked.

The UT fanbase are the parents and the money is about to be revoked. Let's see what happens when the kids are threatened.
Nueces -
I have a long time college friend who contributes significant money to the athletic program . . . I should have said contributed. He stopped his contributions at the end of last season and gave up his season tickets. I'm sure there are comparable examples where donors have already stopped their contributions. As we've discussed, countless others are waiting to see what happens before deciding where they direct their tax-deductible charitable contributions. It's either UT or another organization that qualifies for a tax deduction. Either way, the donors will be fine.

15 million for TH buyout, 9 million for assistants, then convince Urban and wife to leave two young grandchildren in Ohio. The stars will have to align mighty good for this to happen. I honestly don’t know who else is a possibility that has ran an operation the size of Texas. Thanks Mack for messing up the Saban deal by having Joe Jamail threaten a huge lawsuit if they fired him and hired Saban. The amount of money this has cost over the last 10 years is flat sickening. Biggest mistake was not going ahead with it and hiring Saban even a lawsuit wouldn’t cost this much !

Idk if I would put Eli name in there, he has the same amount of Super bowls as his brother and Eli is the only one that can say he has beaten the GOAT two times and kept him from having 8 super bowls. Think about that one for a minute....
He was mediocre for his entire career. But he did play pretty well in those 2 SB runs, although they only scored 17 and 21 in those wins over NE.

And they aren't candidates for a reason. They can't handle Texas.
Considering our recent track recored on hiring coaches maybe everyone should re-evaluate what it takes to “handle” Texas and who can and can’t do it.

15 million for TH buyout, 9 million for assistants, then convince Urban and wife to leave two young grandchildren in Ohio. The stars will have to align mighty good for this to happen. I honestly don’t know who else is a possibility that has ran an operation the size of Texas. Thanks Mack for messing up the Saban deal by having Joe Jamail threaten a huge lawsuit if they fired him and hired Saban. The amount of money this has cost over the last 10 years is flat sickening. Biggest mistake was not going ahead with it and hiring Saban even a lawsuit wouldn’t cost this much !
May not have to buy out the assistants. Both coordinators are former Urban guys. The staff is basically here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT