ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer

Briles would knock it out of the park at Texas, but the suits would never consider hiring him. It's either Meyer, Shanahan, or bust.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Briles would knock it out of the park at Texas, but the suits would never consider hiring him. It's either Meyer, Shanahan, or bust.
No doubt he would of killed it here, but even without all the issues surrounding him he’s soon to be 65 years old. Even if there weren’t issues surrounding him not sure that would be the route to go. Unless someone came in with him as kind of the head coach in waiting.

The window to hire Briles was probably 10 years ago. Think that ship has sailed even without the obvious issues

Reactions: Belldozer1
I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that Meyer turned a blind eye or 2 at Florida, all Championship coaches do to an extent. I doubt Aaron Hernandez et al were choir boys in college, maybe Tebow but that's about the only one lol.

Don't have to go out on much of a limb there. Florida's football team under Meyer was about a half-step up from a prison gang, with the exception of Jesus the QB.

Don't have to go out on much of a limb there. Florida's football team under Meyer was about a half-step up from a prison gang, with the exception of Jesus the QB.
Yeah Tebow kinda helped hide some of the stuff that was going on. Without Tebow Meyer probably would of taken more heat. Meyer really is a pretty terrible human being I’d prefer we didn’t go down that road but things have gotten so bad we need a home run this time.

Reactions: ThaTank
I agree with what you say. The china virus put the screws on the new coordinators, players and system. But, if it is even possible that Texas has a chance this year to make the change to Urban Meyer, they better not pass it up. May not get the chance for him again. Someone else maybe in future years, but maybe not Meyer. Catch 22. Before anything happens, coaching wise, this stuff with The Eyes of Texas and other things gotta be fixed, all the live long day!
All of the excuses Tommy offers up in his pressers are the reasons he will be kept. Let us remember for a moment where CDC came from? That's right TCU. Expectations there are win me 6 games and get us in a low to mid tier bowl and all is well. I am not certain Del Conte still has that mind set. Once his return is announced this board will go balistic for about a day and a half and then remain quiet until shit show verse 5 starts next season

All of the excuses Tommy offers up in his pressers are the reasons he will be kept. Let us remember for a moment where CDC came from? That's right TCU. Expectations there are win me 6 games and get us in a low to mid tier bowl and all is well. I am not certain Del Conte still has that mind set. Once his return is announced this board will go balistic for about a day and a half and then remain quiet until shit show verse 5 starts next season

There is no way Herman will be retained, this was the nail in the coffin. We will have more decommits because several of the commits are here because Ewers was in. Unless something changes we're looking at two years of bad recruiting classes. CDC will have to flip the script because we just dropped off the cliff.

Yeah Tebow kinda helped hide some of the stuff that was going on. Without Tebow Meyer probably would of taken more heat. Meyer really is a pretty terrible human being I’d prefer we didn’t go down that road but things have gotten so bad we need a home run this time.
I don’t think Meyer is a terrible human being he just does his job. He’s a Championship coach who is able to compartmentalize but realizes business is business and he gets paid to do one thing, win. I think Briles is the same way maybe without the Championships but he’s capable imo

CDC showed he can go and find good coaches. He found them at TCU and so far here at Texas. I think COVID saved Smart plus his buyout (like I've stated before the BMD aren't as concerned about basketball). I think CDC is being smart and letting Herm do all the work in making this a bigger fire. CDC himself had to get the football team to stay on the field.........Hermpes is paid to do that.
I may have to come back here and eat my words, but I think CDC is getting all the ducks in a row before he pulls the trigger. I think he does it early enough to maybe save some recruits. Don't think a big hire won't fill the transfer portal to come here. Kids don't care so much about all the other mess when they see NFL money staring them in the face. Ours are all screaming because they aren't locks for the NFL.
Thats my spill................

The coaching hire delusional factor is back at it. Last time it was "We can get Saban. Let's go get him.". All that came of it was a fat contract extension for Saban, because his agent trolled the hell out of Texas.
Now it's "We can get UM. Let's go get him" all over again. Quit dipping into the same drugs that got you in trouble last time. Move on to somebody else you have a snowball chance in hell of getting.

Reactions: tc144509

we had a pretty successful run under Deloss and he came from Kansas State pre Snyder. K State had not won more than 2 games a year for who knows how long.

The coaching hire delusional factor is back at it. Last time it was "We can get Saban. Let's go get him.". All that came of it was a fat contract extension for Saban, because his agent trolled the hell out of Texas.
Now it's "We can get UM. Let's go get him" all over again. Quit dipping into the same drugs that got you in trouble last time. Move on to somebody else you have a snowball chance in hell of getting.

You have some insight that says that Meyer isn't interested? Aside from Meyer, what coaches should Texas pursue in your opinion?

Joined in 2001. Has 26 posts.

Yep, let's listen to this guy!

I've heard that Herman is gone no matter what and won't coach the bowl game. It's going to be either Meyer or Shanahan.

Care to elaborate on where you are hearing this from? I know you can't give names but can you at least tell me its not an internet troll?? You've always been credible..........but man I'm dying over here.............this donkey is staring down thinking its not that far of a jump...............

We are in full meltdown and the entire sports world is laughing at us...........

No doubt he would of killed it here, but even without all the issues surrounding him he’s soon to be 65 years old. Even if there weren’t issues surrounding him not sure that would be the route to go. Unless someone came in with him as kind of the head coach in waiting.

The window to hire Briles was probably 10 years ago. Think that ship has sailed even without the obvious issues
I forgot he was 65 good point

Care to elaborate on where you are hearing this from? I know you can't give names but can you at least tell me its not an internet troll?? You've always been credible..........but man I'm dying over here.............this donkey is staring down thinking its not that far of a jump...............

We are in full meltdown and the entire sports world is laughing at us...........

A good source who has ties to UT that is very reliable. He talks to some of the BMD's and has some other very good people that he speaks with. He's usually very accurate.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
dC,
When Momma says it is time to come home, you come on home. - Bear Byrant.
no doubt he has some security in SF, but here’s the deal. SF is in probably the worst spot you can be in the NFL. They don’t have a QB they truly believe in, and they won’t be bad enough to draft high enough to get that QB. It’s a rough spot to be in. Knowing that I could see him jumping to Texas and having his pick of NFL jobs whenever he wants.

Maybe Urban is upping his trolling game. Is it a burnt orange tie? Or is that sickly Tennessee creamsicle orange? Garish Halloween Oregon State orange?

Speaking of orange. I'm in Atlanta about to head over to Bobby Dodd Stadium to watch the Clemson-Georgia Tech game. I expect what Clemson is about to do to Tech will make Sherman's visit to Atlanta back in '64 look like a Sunday school picnic.
You got that right.

Last edited:
dC,

no doubt he has some security in SF, but here’s the deal. SF is in probably the worst spot you can be in the NFL. They don’t have a QB they truly believe in, and they won’t be bad enough to draft high enough to get that QB. It’s a rough spot to be in. Knowing that I could see him jumping to Texas and having his pick of NFL jobs whenever he wants.

Are they still cutting him checks for $9M a year? Yeah SF sucks.

Are they still cutting him checks for $9M a year? Yeah SF sucks.
Yeah I didn’t say they sucked. They probably have one of the best rosters in the league. But if you don’t have a stud QB you aren’t going to the promise land. That’s just the way the NFL is these days.

dC,

The worst spot? Holy Sh!t your credibility is lost with this post. The only way Shanahan is leaving San Fran for Texas is with a gun to his head and his parents in a kidnap van...nevermind I guess the BMD ain't fu#$king around...nice.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
I hope this is true and if so, it probably means that Urban may already be forming a potential staff on paper, evaluating some recruiting film, etc.....

Right there with you on this, would be a flipping blast to see him turn this bitch around. I truly believe UM at Texas is pretty scary (in a good way).
He would be...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT