ADVERTISEMENT

AGGIES 4TH YEAR COACH DOING WONDERS

I haven't posted in a while but I really want an Aggie to explain a few things.

Why would Chavis be in the hot seat for not producing after year two and not Sumlin, where as if the Texas O doesn't produce it is Strong and not Watson?

I really cannot believe that some of these Aggies do not understand the difference between a coach starting his second year on a program in which he started with 8 O linemen, non existing depth on most positions and on top of that had to kick out double digit amounts of players for being knuckle heads, and a coach who inherited very good talent, and went from 10-2 to 8-4 to 7-5 and is looking at possibly a 6-6 or another 7-5 season, and losing a lot of recruiting momentum and media attention.
Don't get me wrong, TAMU is still recruiting well, but at the beginning of the 15 cycle Texas out recruiting TAMU seemed impossible, and yet it happened. The 16 cycle has started as a much more even playing field, so yes, after TAMU being in consideration for #1 classes for a bit, they are have regressed. Same with the media attention, don't kid yourselves, those ratings against Alabama are not about you.

Strong may be in over his head, maybe he will get fired after year 4 and never amounts to anything, nobody knows. What we all know is that it is impossible to determine that right now. Strong's first complete recruiting class hasn't played a down of football yet, most of them aren't even on campus, Sumlin has had three complete recruiting cycles to get his players in and the results speak for themselves.

Taking an 8-5 team to 6-7 speaks way more. Don't let the excitement of a new coach make you think that you out recruited A&M. We have the better class on Rivals and we will have the better class on all sites after the grade risks are removed. We dont need to talk about head to head. You horns crack me up!

Um, maybe you haven't heard of CHAVIS. Hang a championship banner, Aggies going to be...Bad. Ass.

Ban "aggygreatness"........if for anything....putting "aggy" and "greatness" next to each other. Another dumbass to put up with

Can we ban them all except corps members? I think we should allow corps members just so we can subject them to unrelenting ridicule and get a good laugh at what being an Aggie is all about.

I thought Les Miles was LSU's head coach when they stomped aggy's ass for the last 3 years. They way aggys talk it was all Chavis's doing. Don't make a mistake and think Miles doesn't know how to beat the aggys, because it was his game plans and his team who was out there. Like him or not but his teams are always ready to play.

SCZBOL

Good question. If Chavis fails, Sumlin won't survive in my opinion. If Strong sticks with Watson and he fails, it will probably cost him his job. Nobody thinks Sumlin is running our defense, I think the same is true for Strong and the Texas offense. So it is very important that they don't screw up the coordinators. I think Strong will have to can Watson after the season, unless a miracle happens with the OL and Heard is the real deal. Strong will be ok unless he hangs on to Watson and Wickline (assuming the O is bad). Sumlin already had his mulligan (Snyder). Just my opinion, other Aggies might not agree.

Oh, no! Not last in a preseason poll!! Seems like the last time you guys and the media were predicting A&M to fail they finished 5th in the country. What was your preseason baseball poll? How did that work out? Weren't you guys ranked in football at the beginning of the season last year? Weren't you guys top 10 in basketball to start the season because the preseason polls said so?? Wasn't OU top 5 to start the season last year? That's it, I'm going to Vegas to bet everything on the under on A&M's win total!! Thank you for showing me this link so I could make an informed decision.

Oh, no! Not last in a preseason poll!! Seems like the last time you guys and the media were predicting A&M to fail they finished 5th in the country. What was your preseason baseball poll? How did that work out? Weren't you guys ranked in football at the beginning of the season last year? Weren't you guys top 10 in basketball to start the season because the preseason polls said so?? Wasn't OU top 5 to start the season last year? That's it, I'm going to Vegas to bet everything on the under on A&M's win total!! Thank you for showing me this link so I could make an informed decision.
I don't think anyone really gives a damn about the pre-season polls...The complete lack of respect and that they don't see Aggy as a threat is the point.............Your coach was also ranked towards the bottom of the conference going into year four, P9 I believe...

If recent history is any indicator, the A&M Football team would prefer to be ranked in the 35-40 range. They do NOT do well with a high ranking....but then again, who does?

Taking an 8-5 team to 6-7 speaks way more. Don't let the excitement of a new coach make you think that you out recruited A&M. We have the better class on Rivals and we will have the better class on all sites after the grade risks are removed. We dont need to talk about head to head. You horns crack me up!

Aggiegreatness, you are missing the entire point of my argument. Aggies are losing recruiting momentum, at one point in the 2015 cycle you guys were sure you would have a top 3 class, the most dominant class in the state. Now we are arguing over which outlet rated which school higher, what does that tell you? TAMU ranks higher in Rivals, Texas ranks higher in 247, Scout, and ESPN, we can argue which service is better, but that is irrelevant. My point is that in what is supposed to be the height of TAMU PR machine, and as low as Texas is in that department right now, we pretty much recruited the same quality classes.

You can talk about grade risks all you want, but we are talking about the staff's ability to recruit and recruiting momentum, it's irrelevant. It's like me saying half of your class will be kicked out anyways. Irrelevant.

Finally, you need to pay attention to what people write before responding. We went from 8-4 to 6-6 with Strong, but context is everything. We lost our starting C, LT, RT, and QB within game one of the season. Mack left talent, evident by the 5 draft picks this year, but he did not leave depth, and he did not leave talent at all positions. Using the draft picks argument is plain stupid. Yes we had a stud DT, couple very good DBs, and a stud LB. We were also left with absolutly no O line to work with, no QBs at the time, no depth at WR, no depth at LB, we were forced to start a walk on and a true freshman at S.

5 players do not make up a team, Texas didn't have a team last year, and barely do this year, hopefully the Freshman come ready to contribute.

Aggiegreatness, you are missing the entire point of my argument. Aggies are losing recruiting momentum, at one point in the 2015 cycle you guys were sure you would have a top 3 class, the most dominant class in the state. Now we are arguing over which outlet rated which school higher, what does that tell you? TAMU ranks higher in Rivals, Texas ranks higher in 247, Scout, and ESPN, we can argue which service is better, but that is irrelevant. My point is that in what is supposed to be the height of TAMU PR machine, and as low as Texas is in that department right now, we pretty much recruited the same quality classes.

You can talk about grade risks all you want, but we are talking about the staff's ability to recruit and recruiting momentum, it's irrelevant. It's like me saying half of your class will be kicked out anyways. Irrelevant.

Finally, you need to pay attention to what people write before responding. We went from 8-4 to 6-6 with Strong, but context is everything. We lost our starting C, LT, RT, and QB within game one of the season. Mack left talent, evident by the 5 draft picks this year, but he did not leave depth, and he did not leave talent at all positions. Using the draft picks argument is plain stupid. Yes we had a stud DT, couple very good DBs, and a stud LB. We were also left with absolutly no O line to work with, no QBs at the time, no depth at WR, no depth at
There is some truth in this. Coaches with stocked depth charts don't get fired very often. Having no QB is tough, but can be fixed with a single guy. Not sure who that guy is yet. Sucking on the OL is worse. It is going to be hard to fix quick. Is C. Williams really that good, or just better than what was already on campus? True Freshman on the OL almost always struggle. You really need the JUCO guys to pan out and have a stellar 2016 OL class. I could see you guys hitting JUCO OL hard this year again, as the in state OL class drops off after the top few guys.

There is some truth in this. Coaches with stocked depth charts don't get fired very often. Having no QB is tough, but can be fixed with a single guy. Not sure who that guy is yet. Sucking on the OL is worse. It is going to be hard to fix quick. Is C. Williams really that good, or just better than what was already on campus? True Freshman on the OL almost always struggle. You really need the JUCO guys to pan out and have a stellar 2016 OL class. I could see you guys hitting JUCO OL hard this year again, as the in state OL class drops off after the top few guys.

Williams is legit. Although, the entire OL is young from a starting standpoint. They're still a year away from being anything great, but they should be better and more cohesive than the unit that was decimated by injury and removal from the team to a OL with very few starts. They now have more depth and will continue to add to that. OL has not been a strength for Texas seen GD was fired.... Wickline has his work cut out for him!!! They signed 6 OL in February, 2 of which are JUCO and 2 more EE's with Vahe coming in June whom will compete for a spot on the 2 deep, he's good. I haven't heard anything definitive on Major yet and he is sort of a project to build and will need to RS.

The current projected line is 2 Sr, 2 Jr and 1 TF in Williams at RT.

We will have 14 OL prospects on the roster if Major qualifies and this doesn't include Alex Anderson whom is rumored as a transfer candidate or Darius James whom never made the final Spring roster and will transfer to Auburn.

Last edited:
I trust Wickline to develop the talent at O line but will he have the time? We definitely need a couple of players who can come in and play right away. OL recruiting doesn't look good in 2016.

I don't know about Connor Williams, when we offered he was an unknown low 3 star, ended up with 20+ offers, including Oregon, Michigan, Nebraska, Arkansas, Baylor, Georgia, and UCLA.

Many thought he was the best OL we brought in in 15, and he is holding his own in practice. Already jumped to starting RT.

I think our OL will be much better than last year. I remember we finished the last 3 or 4 games of the season with only 6 or 7 scholarship OL.

We have depth this year. Our two starting tackles from last year are likely to end up as backups this year, so that means there will be an upgrade, and our interior is the same as last year but with better depth.

I don't think we will have a great OL, but definitely better than last year, and it will also help that we will be running the spread.

Reactions: TexExSpur
How big is Williams? He seems plenty athletic, but I thought he was a converted TE or DE. I assumed he was light in the britches and like 99% of frosh OL could really use a RS. I would think the spread would help a lighter guy out, 280 pounders are not made to blow folks off the ball. Of course he may be 310, that 280 came out of my ass. I have no idea.

I suspect C. Williams is a Koda Martin type. Maybe better, who knows. Just seems like time would be his friend.

How big is Williams? He seems plenty athletic, but I thought he was a converted TE or DE. I assumed he was light in the britches and like 99% of frosh OL could really use a RS. I would think the spread would help a lighter guy out, 280 pounders are not made to blow folks off the ball. Of course he may be 310, that 280 came out of my ass. I have no idea.
He came in under 300 I believe, He spent the Spring on campus as an EE. It doesn't take long to add weight to a big ugly, hopefully it is good weight. I think he was measured at 6'5" and 290ish either before stepping on campus or during the Spring.

Bigger than I thought. He ought to have a chance. Just gotta be patient. Atleast he isn't having to play LT. Mistakes end QB seasons on the back side. Were either of the JUCOs EE? Gotta think atleast one will play a lot, probably start.

Bigger than I thought. He ought to have a chance. Just gotta be patient. Atleast he isn't having to play LT. Mistakes end QB seasons on the back side. Were either of the JUCOs EE? Gotta think atleast one will play a lot, probably start.
Both were EE and Hodges is the projected LT. Nickelson is 6'9" at 320 and currently projected to back up at RT, BOTH freshmen EE's are projected in front of him at RT. Their will be some surprises come fall ball.

Last edited:
Williams is at 6'5 295, I am sure he will add 5 lbs by September.

He is extremely athletic, which is why I think he can be our LT. Hodges is more powerful and has more experience, but he is stiffer, seems like would make a good RT.

Nichelson was recruited as an extremely raw athlete but with massive potential. He is 6'9 and at 320, if he gets it together he can be a beast, he has 4 years to play 3. If Williams and Hodges pan out, with last year starters backing them up, I wouldn't rule out a RS year for Nichelson and unleash him next year with a year with Wickline under his belt.

I seem to recall a prominent poster on this board with a sig of "Nobody Does Less with More"......I think it was in response to just this point.
We win national championships in the big 3 sports, Mr. 1939. I think any discussion of doing less with more involves those facts.

And btw, did our draft picks play O line or QB? Because that's why we had a losing record last year. But don't worry about ever engaging in honesty or reality (both of those things are anathema to aggys).

We win national championships in the big 3 sports, Mr. 1939. I think any discussion of doing less with more involves those facts.

And btw, did our draft picks play O line or QB? Because that's why we had a losing record last year. But don't worry about ever engaging in honesty or reality (both of those things are anathema to aggys).

No but your defense lost all of its impact players so at this point you can only project them to be worse and you really haven't improved your QB or OL situation unless you are counting on true freshmen to solve your issues, either way that projects downward. If I were strong i'd roll with the youth movement at QB, OL and defense and build for year 3 where there could be some promise with the young guys. JMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT