ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Florida 5 and South Florida Roots)

I don't think it is the lack of "talent" that this is about but the lack of "want to" that is the discussion.

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Florida 5 and South Florida

Originally posted by BigTexEx:
Ketch...that's just absurd. I have always respected the fact that you can have an appreciation for other OB's opinions. I have always liked the way you run this board. I have appreciated the fact that you allow a lot of things to be thrown out there on OB's, some absolutely crazy. But I can't figure you out on this Swoopes vs. Heard option thing? It's odd to me. You want to peg me now as "irrational" because I believe that Heard is & should be a viable option over Swoopes as UT's QB this year? Really? How many "meaningful" snaps has Cardale Jones had before getting thrown into the mix the last two games for Ohio St.? Again, if you think you have this figured out, check out Spring ball & Fall ball....then tune in and see who our starter is game one. And, be sure you get back with me & don't start "riding the fence" on this one.
It's like you ignored everything that I typed to you.

Originally posted by fricandfrac:
I don't think it is the lack of "talent" that this is about but the lack of "want to" that is the discussion.
It can be both. See the OL and QB.

Ketch.. Many college coaches around the nation will tell you that the best coached kids (College Ready) coming out of High School are Texas kids. It's a testament to the level of High School coaching they get here in Texas.

I dont want to hear crap about Texas HS kids entitled attitudes. I can give you a list of 1st Team and 2nd Team All-Conference kids this year that come from the State of Texas and playing outside the State that weren't even sniffed by the former Texas staff.

The problem is Mack Brown/Staff created the era of entitlement on the team. The ship floated for awhile but once a few things went wrong the ship (UT) starting to sink and 95% of the problem was the man (Mack Brown) running the ship.

It's hard for me to buy that recruiting 1/3 of your kids every year (Mostly from Florida) is the answer. TCU, Baylor, Okie St (the past few years), OU the past few years would have 20-25 Florida kids on "ship" on the roster.

Florida College teams just went 1-3 in Bowl games. Texas teams just went 4-3 ( TCU, Houston, A&M, Rice) with many so called entitled Texas HS kids.. LOL

This is probably the first time in Texas College (D-1) level scholarships that 6-7 Florida kids have been signed by the same University in one year. It shows you Charlie STrongs "Mind-Set" and where he thinks he has to go.

Sadly.. I agree with you. I think this will be an annual thing with Charlie Strong (Recruit several Florida kids) and sign 4-5. I bet that by the of 2016 there is well over 20 Florida kids on UT roster on scholarship.

Charlie Strong better win.. And win big with that many OOS (Mostly Florida kids) because he will burn bridges with Texas HS Coaches when they feel their kids aren't getting a fair shake and see Florida kids signed instead.

Charlie Strong might be digging his own UT Coaching grave a lot faster then he knew if he doesn't win big (next 2 or 3 seasons) with so many OOS kids on the roster.

This aint Louisville.. This is TEXAS!!

PS. You can tell you buddy.. "There is enough talent within 3 hours of Austin to build TWO National Titlle level teams"

COACH EM' UP !!!

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Ketch...that's just absurd. I have always respected the fact that you can have an appreciation for other OB's opinions. I have always liked the way you run this board. I have appreciated the fact that you allow a lot of things to be thrown out there on OB's, some absolutely crazy. But I can't figure you out on this Swoopes vs. Heard option thing? It's odd to me. You want to peg me now as "irrational" because I believe that Heard is & should be a viable option over Swoopes as UT's QB this year? Really? How many "meaningful" snaps has Cardale Jones had before getting thrown into the mix the last two games for Ohio St.? Again, if you think you have this figured out, check out Spring ball & Fall ball....then tune in and see who our starter is game one. And, be sure you get back with me & don't start "riding the fence" on this one.
Fine....just drop the damn subject.

I'm still trying to figure out how TCU, Baylor and even Okie St (the past 6 or so seasons) have had Top 10 caliber teams and even National Title contending teams with rosters that were mostly Texas kids who were rated 2-Star and 3-Star coming out of High School. ???

Hell,, even Kansas about 7 years ago had a Top 10 level team (Orange Bowl BCS Champs) with a roster full of Texas 2-Star and 3-Star kids.

Few of those 2-Star and 3-Star Texas (Kanas players) are in the NFL now.. LOL

PS. Enough talent within 3 hours of Austin to put together TWO NAT'L Title contending teams.

Someone needs to show Charlie Strong a map of Texas.. Enlighten him.

Originally posted by Ebeatty3753:
Originally posted by cujo0622:

Originally posted by Esoteric2112:

So you aren't saying it has any basis in fact, just that people have that perception?
Oh, there's some truth in it because a lot of those things mentioned are true, especially as it relates to how far along Texas players are on their upside chart vs. others in areas with fewer advantages.

However, I would never paint with such a broad paintbrush.
There is some truth to every generalization.

There is some truth to the thought that all South Florida kids are thugs, but that doesn't mean there aren't kids there that can survive in Strong's system.
wow.....WOW i tell you...very ignorant post to say the least..
Beyond ignorant.
Just as ignorant as all Texas players outside of East Texas are soft and entitled.

Originally posted by DraegerFrog:
Hell,, even Kansas about 7 years ago had a Top 10 level team (Orange Bowl BCS Champs) with a roster full of Texas 2-Star and 3-Star kids.

Few of those 2-Star and 3-Star Texas (Kanas players) are in the NFL now.. LOL

PS. Enough talent within 3 hours of Austin to put together TWO NAT'L Title contending teams.

Someone needs to show Charlie Strong a map of Texas.. Enlighten him.
Just save it. Ketch said it was just perception and not really based in fact.

Originally posted by DraegerFrog:
Ketch.. Many college coaches around the nation will tell you that the best coached kids (College Ready) coming out of High School are Texas kids. It's a testament to the level of High School coaching they get here in Texas.

I dont want to hear crap about Texas HS kids entitled attitudes. I can give you a list of 1st Team and 2nd Team All-Conference kids this year that come from the State of Texas and playing outside the State that weren't even sniffed by the former Texas staff.

The problem is Mack Brown/Staff created the era of entitlement on the team. The ship floated for awhile but once a few things went wrong the ship (UT) starting to sink and 95% of the problem was the man (Mack Brown) running the ship.

It's hard for me to buy that recruiting 1/3 of your kids every year (Mostly from Florida) is the answer. TCU, Baylor, Okie St (the past few years), OU the past few years would have 20-25 Florida kids on "ship" on the roster.

Florida College teams just went 1-3 in Bowl games. Texas teams just went 4-3 ( TCU, Houston, A&M, Rice) with many so called entitled Texas HS kids.. LOL

This is probably the first time in Texas College (D-1) level scholarships that 6-7 Florida kids have been signed by the same University in one year. It shows you Charlie STrongs "Mind-Set" and where he thinks he has to go.

Sadly.. I agree with you. I think this will be an annual thing with Charlie Strong (Recruit several Florida kids) and sign 4-5. I bet that by the of 2016 there is well over 20 Florida kids on UT roster on scholarship.

Charlie Strong better win.. And win big with that many OOS (Mostly Florida kids) because he will burn bridges with Texas HS Coaches when they feel their kids aren't getting a fair shake and see Florida kids signed instead.

Charlie Strong might be digging his own UT Coaching grave a lot faster then he knew if he doesn't win big (next 2 or 3 seasons) with so many OOS kids on the roster.

This aint Louisville.. This is TEXAS!!

PS. You can tell you buddy.. "There is enough talent within 3 hours of Austin to build TWO National Titlle level teams"

COACH EM' UP !!!
You come across as someone taking this way too seriously, even personal.

Fine....just drop the damn subject.
Not quite. What is it that you think I think about Heard? That is at the root of our disconnect IMO.

Ketch - You make a living off of guys who take all this stuff way too seriously...

Originally posted by luckylo:
Ketch - You make a living off of guys who take all this stuff way too seriously...
scared0016.r191677.gif

Set aside the merits of Ketch's buddies thoughts about high school football in the state of Texas. Strong's focus on Miami has four undeniable elements: (1) his offers to his first and second choices in-state were turned down or slow played, (2) Strong can't afford to strike out with his 2015 recruiting class, (3) the kids he is recruiting from south Florida are the same types as the ones that helped him turn Louisville around, (and (4) he has credibility in south Florida with the high school coaches. Football is indeed the only chance for many of the south Florida kids and CS has earned a reputation over 20 years among Florida high school coaches for molding these kids into men and truly caring about their future, so they help steer him players.

As far as merits, I think Ketch's friend's conclusion not to heavily recruit Houston, DFW, Austin and west Texas is flat wrong.

Charlie Strong is part of the Urban Meyer coaching tree, correct? Apparently the two are still close today.

How can Urban Meyer be an offensive "genius" and QB whisperer and Charlie Strong not understand the benefits of combining at least some of that philosophy with his defensive philosophy.

I don't see that the two have to be mutually exclusive.

Or maybe I have Coach Strong's mentality all wrong.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by jspirohorn:
Set aside the merits of Ketch's buddies thoughts about high school football in the state of Texas. Strong's focus on Miami has four undeniable elements: (1) his offers to his first and second choices in-state were turned down or slow played, (2) Strong can't afford to strike out with his 2015 recruiting class, (3) the kids he is recruiting from south Florida are the same types as the ones that helped him turn Louisville around, (and (4) he has credibility in south Florida with the high school coaches. Football is indeed the only chance for many of the south Florida kids and CS has earned a reputation over 20 years among Florida high school coaches for molding these kids into men and truly caring about their future, so they help steer him players.

As far as merits, I think Ketch's friend's conclusion not to heavily recruit Houston, DFW, Austin and west Texas is flat wrong.
There's actually some stuff in his thoughts that are worth discussing if everyone can get over the literalness of his commitments.

So there's a very good chance we still don't have an answer at tight end?

There's actually some stuff in his thoughts that are worth discussing if everyone can get over the literalness of his commitments.
Like what?

Guys, think about this for a second. CS sure feels like what Ketch is describing, Ketchs buddy feels like that, and even B. Davis feels like it as well...

Like Ketch said its not some crazy though he is making it up. Some college coaches do have that thought reservation when it comes to some kids out of the state of Texas...not saying they are right, but the thought is out their, in SEVERAL coaching circles.

Like what?
Too much focus is being paid on the entitlement/attitude aspect.

The idea that Texas players often come out of their high school systems with less of a ceiling than other prospects elsewere because they've already tapped in and realized most of it before heading to college is very real, especially when you consider the advantages many of these kids have that are not found anywhere.

That's the thing that you hear the most from college coaches in this state. Again, there's some good in being extremely well coached, but the downside at the next level is that for a lot of guys, they are as good as they potentially will ever be.

You don't hear the word raw used with very many guys.

As far as the entitlement stuff, it's not running rampant among all players in Texas, but among the top prospects? Happens more than you'd like to see. Ask Charlie.

No. 1 - Absolutely fabulous write-up and makes an awful lot of sense that this attitude permeated the mentation of the team that Charlie Strong inherited, resulting in the number of players who were dismissed from the team, and the extreme disappointment/disbelief/anger that CS displayed in post-game-pressers throughout the season. A good many of these "star" individuals never seemed hungry enough to play as members of a team and the previous regime cast-offs were coached up to probably the best you could expect.

No. 2 - Appreciated the baking analogy and have to admit, when I look around the nation and see true freshmen QBs coming in and making a big statement for other teams, I do want to speed up the process (raise the oven temp) and bring out the anybody but Swoopes back-up. Will try to be more cognizant that even though they have four or five stars in recruiting it is only a concept and not matter-of-fact.

No. 11 - Lady Longhorn Basketball - still undefeated after Big 12 Season opener against Kansas last Saturday night. Plungervile Senior N Enkepali scored her sixth straight double-double and the team has the best record since the 1985-86 National Championship Team that went 34-0. They will play West Virginia at 7 pm on Wednesday at the drum and then go on the road. They are playing great as a team with wicked defense and Coach Aston is really doing a fabulous job. Is there a reason you never mention this #3 Nationally Ranked and undefeated University of Texas Team but give all kinds of deference to the Mens' BB Team? I know you have a wife and kids so you don't hate women and this is a genuinely authentic team - could you at least mention them in your weekly column? Btw - they beat the collies in the SEC Challenge in Dec as well as Stanford, UCLA, and Tennessee.

Like what?
Too much focus is being paid on the entitlement/attitude aspect.

The idea that Texas players often come out of their high school systems with less of a ceiling than other prospects elsewere because they've already tapped in and realized most of it before heading to college is very real, especially when you consider the advantages many of these kids have that are not found anywhere.

That's the thing that you hear the most from college coaches in this state. Again, there's some good in being extremely well coached, but the downside at the next level is that for a lot of guys, they are as good as they potentially will ever be.

You don't hear the word raw used with very many guys.

As far as the entitlement stuff, it's not running rampant among all players in Texas, but among the top prospects? Happens more than you'd like to see. Ask Charlie.
That is interesting. So a couple of things.

I wonder where the facilities cut off is? I am there are places like Poteet where the facilities are much better than a lot of places in Florida but no where near say Lake Travis, Westlake, Allen, etc...

I am having a hard time seeing the problem with having someone further along developmentally as opposed to a raw prospect with tools but no skills. Don't you want guys to come in and compete as soon as possible?

Same with playing big games in huge stadiums. I mean do you want a kid standing in awe the first time he steps on the field at DKR because he played all his high school ball on a dirt field in front of 100 people?

Can't a good coaching staff overcome "entitlement" issues?

Are we saying there are say top 50 kids in Texas who have no where left to go, no room to grow (physically), tune their bodies, or learn new techniques? Not that they won't put in the work to do it, but that it isn't possible?

One of my biggest issues is let's say in Texas what you see at the high school level is what you get. So the 5* guy is at his ceiling. He is done. While the 5* from Florida is just beginning to tap his potential. Doesn't that make the ratings system kind of pointless since in reality if you are judging on where they are today then the Texas kid is a 5* and the Florida kid is actually a 3* or if you are judging potential the Florida kid is a 5* and the Texas kid is actually a 3*?

The idea of a Florida kids life hinging on football (while true is very sad, but let's go with true) making him more hungry to succeed, wouldn't it also make him more likely to take...... Shortcuts to ensure his success?

It is an interesting thought but all in all (besides being a gross over generalization) it seems to have some holes in it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT