ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Still a year away)

Texas leaked this information on Heard as a smoke screen so they had a plausible excuse not to play him behind a terrible OL. They didn't want to waste a year and he needed a redshirt year anyway!

I've tried to tell everyone I know to prepare for more Swoopes this season, not because I think he's the answer or anything, but because if you just look at the situation and the options around him it just seems inevitable. Heard may start blowing everyone away at practice before the offseason, but I think the chances of him realistically running away with the job in the offseason are low. That being said, he may grab the reigns midseason and go with them. He'll get his chance this year, that is for sure.

Originally posted by lmturner80:
I'm not a Mayweather fan but looking at the Thurman fight he's just not ready and a lot of people give Floyd a defeat as soon as a fight is announced. Who would you bet on to beat him?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Guerrero was VERY complimentary of Thurman; however, he even said that (at THIS point in time) Thurman isn't ready to face Floyd yet.

Also, I felt that Thurman actually moved around (which I have no problem with...that's boxing and the guy should be able to cut you off) more than Mayweather moved around vs. Guerrero. But of course Floyd gets accused of running.

Yawn, I'll wait and see what happens on the field. I expect us to win each game every year and this year will be no different.

Originally posted by jspirohorn:
is it possible that Heard is more of a gamer that can run a simplified offense and ad-lib his way to win? I think it is very possible he just can't run Watson's offense in practice the way Watson wants it run.
for people grasping at straws, that's the one piece of grass everybody is fighting for. "maybe he is just a gamer.... yeah, that's gotta be it, because Mack Brown couldn't have made another mistake at QB.

Heard had a state-winning pedigree and he was eager to sign up-- a must take, i get it, but so was Gilbert.

I'm not saying anything bad about Heard, but I do believe that it's just as likely Swoopes is the starter at Notre Dame. Maybe a simplified offense will seem a lot easier to him, especially compared to what he was asked to do last year, and who he was asked to do it with.

I think we're all better off resigning ourselves to another year of team building. Let the young guys play and plan for the future.

Yawn, I'll wait and see what happens on the field. I expect us to win each game every year and this year will be no different.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by shaun2k1:
Floyd has fought Keith Thurmans. Diego Corrales and Jose Luis castillo were that level of fighter. Thurman would not land a punch against Floyd from that time, granted Mayweather was a lot lighter then.
Floyd doesn't fight guys that can hurt him.
Diego Corrales?????

research the build-up to that fight and Diego's record and KO percentage...also, who was favored to win that fight.

Guy enters the ring weighing 15-20 lbs less than his opponents and you think they can't hurt him?

This post was edited on 3/8 11:17 PM by D-smoo

I guess I'm out of the loop so I'll just ask. What kind of drills is the team doing now? Lifting weights and conditioning or regular football practice? If it's the former, which is what I thought, then I don't buy it for a second that such workouts will determine who starts at QB.

Also, Michael Jackson, a child molester that bought off his accusers, deserves no praise whatsoever.

This post was edited on 3/8 11:32 PM by longhorn4444

Originally posted by todds:
You mentioned "want-to" in the same sentence as Heard. Is that an issue with him? Would have never thought that to be case. Maybe I misread your intent in that sentence.

Yes, the coaches want to see Heard apply himself more. AS I said earlier in this thread, there's a feeling that he didn't come into last season ready to play.
Interesting. I remember reading a number of things about Heard being behind where he was expected to be last year, even as a redshirt. I remember him having difficulty picking up all the nuances of a passing game and big playbook. That he was a runner first and raw passer. What I don't remember is this kind of callout in effort and motivation.

Now you are quoting "all" your sources including high level ones, who have pinpointed this as Heards main issue.

Makes me kinda wanna call bullshit.

Originally posted by Russhorn:
The immediate "blame Watson" BS is not helping. Watson can develop QBs, and the evaluation of the last staff is what remains in question here. It was bad when not under GD, who knew how to evaluate them. Hell, his last guy ash would have been pretty good without the head injuries...

We will see, but I anticipate a dip with lots of young guys playing and an improved oline by seasons end. I am just hoping we get better and studs emery from the 2014 and 2013 classes on both sides. QB is going to take another year or two, and that is not the fault of anyone on this staff...
Oh, yea its the fault of this s staff. Other programs like TCU is getting transfers at QB, why can't this staff attract quality QBs? Why is the image of this offensive staff so poor that no JC, transfer QB wants to come here or is this staff saying no to everyone except Swoopes and Heard?

If we are as bad in 2015 as we were in 2014,coach strong won't be here in 2016.our president always seems to show up for that kinda stuff.

If we are as bad in 2015 as we were in 2014,coach strong won't be here in 2016.our president always seems to show up for that kinda stuff.

I think this is a load of BS about Heard. However, Kai Locksley is a coach's kid. He or Heard will see the field this year, even if Swoopes starts early. He's one more meltdown away from a permanent spot in the doghouse IMO and besides, Watsins job is on the line. I still expect they get an experienced transfer in, too. If they don't, CS and Watson deserve to be fired fo gross incompetence.

Having said all this, I expect 2015 to be a rebuilding year, as well. But we better see some serious improvement on offense or I think It will get really hot in the kitchen.

Originally posted by todds:
You mentioned "want-to" in the same sentence as Heard. Is that an issue with him? Would have never thought that to be case. Maybe I misread your intent in that sentence.
Yes, the coaches want to see Heard apply himself more. AS I said earlier in this thread, there's a feeling that he didn't come into last season ready to play.
Did anyone other than Malcom Brown and Diggs come into last season ready to play? No. Neither did Swoopes.

I expect Swoopes to start in South Bend, but poop the bed before the 2nd quarter starts and Heard comes in and wins the game. At that point we'll all remember (again) that practice reports from "sources" (while fun) don't matter. Hell, we're (literally) not even talking about practice! We're talking about 6 AM pre-spring workouts. Everyone calm down.

I don' know anything about Heard. I do know what I saw in Swoops eyes after his turnover against TCU. He didn't want any part of going back in. No competitive fire. No looking to get redemption. No wanting to get out there and show what he could do. Charlie had to tell him to get the offense together and go back in.

I've seen quarterbacks get physical beatings on the field or have a really bad day but you could still see the competitive fire in them. Didn't see it in him.

If Heard is having the trouble Ketch is reporting and this staff doesn't bring in a transfer to compete for the starting job they better have guaranteed contracts because they won't be coaching here very long.

My prediction is Swoopes starts the season and my hope is Heard finishes it.

Unless there's a miraculous improvement to Heard and he's clearly head and shoulders above Swoopes, you don't send a redshirt freshman out the first game of the season in South Bend.

Originally posted by Victory Lap:
My prediction is Swoopes starts the season and my hope is Heard finishes it.

Unless there's a miraculous improvement to Heard and he's clearly head and shoulders above Swoopes, you don't send a redshirt freshman out the first game of the season in South Bend.
Why wouldn't you send a redshirt freshman to start in South Bend?
I've seen what Swoopes has and Heard is a must start from day one. Let him take his bumps and see what he's got

First off, great piece! Love the insight on the football team. Second, you make me laugh with your bias towards anything cowboy related
laugh.r191677.gif

As for the unlikely chance of a kid from a small school becoming a great quarterback try Sammy Baugh from Sweetwater.

Maybe Heard is one of those players who needs the lights to be on before he plays his best. In other words, he's not a practice player.

I sure hope this is the case.

Colt, and Swoopes might both have come from small schools, but he will never be able to
carry Colt's jockey strap, kid will not come close to being as good as Colt. You saw the last
2 games, just like everybody in the nation did, so how can you say that with a straight face.
That he might be the starting QB next year, the only way Heard doesn't play, is that Watson
is running the Pro Style offense.

Originally posted by ball911:

Originally posted by jspirohorn:
is it possible that Heard is more of a gamer that can run a simplified offense and ad-lib his way to win in High School? I think it is very possible he just can't run Watson's offense in practice the way Watson wants it run.
Isn't that kind of important? I've never seen anyone get on the field that couldn't do what a coach wanted.
There, I fixed it for you. Unfortunately, nothing over simplified is going to work at a high Division 1 level. The defensive talent is way to high for the game plan to be "just ad-lib". In any case we will see on the field this year if that is really the case. If Swoop plays like he did last year, there is no way CS doesn't bring Heard into the game. I feel certain that both players will get their chance to shine or fail on the field.

Lots of interesting takes in this thread. I think some are still desperate and refuse to believe that Heard may not translate as well at this level. Honestly at this point, who knows who will be QB in south bend.

If you take a poll behind the scenes, you'll find that there's more hope for the former over the latter.

Not among the players.

Texas needs to give Heard a shot. I refuse to buy into the theory that Heard is not a better option than Swoopes.

Texas can't roll Swoopes out there to start at ND. Hell no.

Give Heard a package of plays he can execute and turn him loose. He can already run the zone read better than Swoopes and is a better scrambler.

Any recent rumors about QB transfers? With all these doomsday predictions about 2015, surely a little sunshine would help. This is supposed to be the time frame for evaluating transfers. Nothing positive from the inside?

Secondly, if you are going to beat the drum of a total ass like Jerry Jones, why not talk about the other NFL team in the state? The Texans have a few fans following them, too. If you want to talk of the Rangers, who tanked last year, don't forget the Astros' progression.

Bad weekend?

For fvcks sake, can we at least wait until after spring ball before you start wetting yourselves over who may or may not be the starting QB 6 months from now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT