ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

That is a pretty good list for George Strait. Only thing I would change is 1. Amarillo By Morning. My second fav song of all time. Number one is Willie Nelson singing Always on my Mind.
Like I said, I know that song would be No.1 for some. Strong case can be made for it.

A few thoughts:

- It will be interesting to see if Swoopes or Heard grabs the bull by the horns this summer. If I'm on the coaching staff, I let them believe Kai Locksley has a chance to get in the mix if they do not step up, which could give them more incentive.

- Tevin Mack gives Shaka a shooter who score points. He loves to crossover guys and put up a J. Would be a great addition.

- I'm with you on Chris Warren.

- Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez watched Mayweather become rich by taking calculated risks. It explains why both men are running from Triple G. 3Gs picks apart Cotto with ease.

- I can't believe the Clippers collapsed like that.

- I'm so glad I have a son

Reactions: Derell08
Thanks Ketch.

Love your #1 discussion of the QBs, you are spot on with that. I'm hoping both QBs are McCoy-driven specimens of dedication at winning the position. If they are we'll have 2 QBs game-ready by August. I prefer Heard, I believe he is a more natural Alpha, I believe he'll never forget his HS career and consequently believe he'll be able to succeed on the big stage in college just as he did in high school. I think he has the physical tools and leadership ability.

I heard two things about Colt when he was at Texas. He LIVED in the film room more than maybe any QB ever at Texas. And he transformed his body in the weight room in a way that few did during most of the MB years (exception Brian Orakpo--who was similarly self-motivated in the weight room). If I'm Heard I don't defer to TS one iota as far as leading 7 on 7 this summer. Both QBs need to live in the film room and transform themselves in the weight room. That and an O Line and Texas is in business.
Easier said than done. Colt also had VY to learn his craft from for a year, a truth that Colt would tell you himself was critical in his development.

VY was always a Colt guy.

Girls arent that much harder.....you are the parent....they are a refelction of you....you do right they will be alright....

In the end wheres your guess d.duvarnay ends up? Is it true that colt Mccoy was close to flipping to lsu?
Tough to call right now, but I think Texas will be a serious player.

Colt was seriously flirting with LSU down the stretch and if Perrilloux signs with Texas, I think Colt heads to LS. The flirting included in-home visits. In fact, on NSD that year, his father called me in the a.m. to make sure Perrilloux had signed with LSU.

Later that day, Mack Brown called me out in front of the media, claiming that Brad McCoy had claimed I called him that morning and tried to scare Colt to sign with LSU. I told him that he had his information way wrong and if Mack wanted, I'd tell everyone in that room right then and there everything that had really happened over the final weeks of the process, but I was not going to let that lying shit go.

Mack backed down and let it go.

Ketch....who's twitter account is that (dae). No way in hell would I let my daughter wear something like that to prom. Very sad.
I don't know who that is. It was re-tweeted by someone I follow.

Easier said than done. Colt also had VY to learn his craft from for a year, a truth that Colt would tell you himself was critical in his development.

VY was always a Colt guy.

Thanks for your response. I had a similar career path to what I described, as I'm certain many successful individuals do, putting in extra work to achieve above average results. I guess it doesn't seem all that difficult, but that may be a common view of above-average achievers. I wouldn't be surprised if you shared that experience.

Thanks for the comments about Colt/VY. Though I have considered that in the past your emphasis of it gives it additional import. I appreciate the insight.

Sansa and Theon need to have a flaying party. And then Sansa should use her new skills on Littlefinger. He knew this was coming.

(I foresee people making excuses for Baelish. I don't buy it)
The show really asks a lot of the viewer.

Ketch - you didn't answer the buy or sell I posted in the appropriate thread - Heard is the clear #1 QB headed into 2016.

Is that a question you don't want to answer?
There were a LOT of questions in that thread.

I guess buy, but it's not a strong buy, yet.

Banned from summer workouts? Did they approach you and inform you?
You got it. Technically, the school is to have zero control over the workouts, but I was told that one of the players complained I was there (I've never confirmed it, but I have my suspicions) and if I went to another practice, we would be blackballed as a media outlet.

It was always 0-100mph with the old guard. I couldn't just be told not to come, the message had to arrive with the heaviest hand possible.

Littlefinger plays the Game better than anyone. Look how many people he's had a hand in bending over - no pun intended. When does the Stark family start getting some wins? Snow?

Read your response about Oliver not being the only DT not getting love from Texas. Is Chris Daniels another? I noticed no Texas offer. Thoughts on Daniels?

Dobbins is basically begging at this point to get a offer. Someone get me his phone number I'll give em a offer on behalf of strong

Big question, what is the rumor on Kendal Jones? Did we lose the kid to Alabama?

One key element that McCoy had, that neither Swoopes or Heard have, is the benefit of is having a football coach for a dad. Colt had years of training on reading defenses and how to lead a team.

Colt also had the huge benefit of some tremendous playmakers at receiver. Colt had a noticably weak arm until the end of his career, and Cosby, Shipley, and Charles delivered YAC that turned short dinks into sizable gains. In 2007, Finley turned 2 end zone INTs into TDs by pulling misfires out of the hands of DBs (Baylor, ISU).

In contrast in the spring game, WRs failed to bring down 2 TDs Swoopes hit them in the hands with, and dropped another long completion that would've been in scoring position. And, there's no Jermichael Finley at TE to turn INTs into TDs.
Let's not forget he also had the 2006 OL, which was dominant.

I think Ocean Front Property is in the running for one of the best written CW songs of all time. And, I'm mildly disappointed that two of my favorite GS songs didn't make the list - I Can Still Make Cheyenne and Nobody in His Right Mind Would Have Left Her. Otherwise, a great list.
Damn good songs. Sorry, my list didn't match yours.;)

When does summer camp start? June 1st? I can't wait till the freshman touch down. There is going to be some serious competition that will effect the entire team to preform better if they want to keep there spot and for the freshman if they want to take someone's spot

only read #1 about McCoy and wanted to comment before reading the rest.
GREAT job pulling up your previous quotes. Good reminder about how easy it is to forget these are kids. 17-19yr old kids who can grow (both mentally and physically) ALOT in a relatively small amount of time. I remember thinking there was no way we could ever win a championship with his noodle arm (and I wasn't alone.)

Fact of the matter is it's impossible to gauge all of the other "factors" -- the will to win, the dedication to the game. And arguably, McCoy did it with an average OL in 08/09. Kudos to the coaches at the time for adjusting the offense to short, quick passes. Hopefully the tweaks Strong/Watson/others are implementing can do the same for our current QB's who still have plenty of time to realize similar growth as McCoy did. IF they want it. I hope they do.

From what I've seen, NO. Neither Swoopes nor Heard seems to have either the moxie or God-given "it" factor that McCoy had. Heard is a far better raw athlete than Colt, of course.

Doesn't mean neither kid will eventually emerge as a good player, either. I just don't see it happening over the course of one off-season.

I think you make this statement with the benefit of hindsight. As evidenced by Ketch's quote, not many knew McCoy had "it." Hell, even during the 2006 and 2007 season, many weren't sure Colt was still the best option at QB. MANY people thought he was good but not great. We were wrong obviously.
But that is the point of Ketch's quote and analysis... folks had no idea Colt could win the starting job after the 2006 spring game, let alone become one of the all-time greats.

What, nothing about UT baseball? And I was so looking forward to that.

Hell, If Heard just does 85% of what McCoy did all those summers ago, he'll have the job come fall. No disrespect to Swoopes, but he doesn't have an "Alpha" bone in his body as far as I'm concerned. But Heard does. That we know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT