ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

How far has Texas Baseball fallen to not even be mentioned.

My George list:

Last 5 out-- If I know me, unwound, Ocean front property, write this down and does Ft. Worth ever cross your mind.

10. I can still make Cheyenne
9. If your thinking you want a stranger
8. All my Exes live in Texas
7 .Fool-Hearted Memory
6. Baby blue
5. Marina Del Rey
4. Cowboy rides away
3. Nobody in his right mind
2. The Chair
1. Amarillo by morning

I didn't know they went to prom in the matrix.
giphy.gif

I have to comment on two points made, one by Ketch and one by hornrush

1. Both QBs looked like lost freshman.

One is going into his third year and the other going into his second. Swoopes might be as close to hitting a ceiling as rounding a corner. I'm not sure I'd give Heard a pass on his mistakes either. Plenty of redshirt freshman are looking comfortable playing as QB1 in the spring of their freshman year. Two of the last three Heisman winners were redshirt freshman.

2. Swoopes and Heard have more athletic talent than McCoy.

There are about five skills a QB needs to have that are more important than running, jumping and lifting weights. Reaction time and throwing accuracy are athletic skills for a QB.

I think you make this statement with the benefit of hindsight. As evidenced by Ketch's quote, not many knew McCoy had "it." Hell, even during the 2006 and 2007 season, many weren't sure Colt was still the best option at QB. MANY people thought he was good but not great. We were wrong obviously.
But that is the point of Ketch's quote and analysis... folks had no idea Colt could win the starting job after the 2006 spring game, let alone become one of the all-time greats.

There was some doubt in 2007 about McCoy because he threw a lot of picks. But in 2006 up until he got hurt against K State, everyone was pretty pumped about Colt. He had a great year and before the injury had Texas in the national title mix and he was getting Heisman invite to NYC run.

A few thoughts:

- It will be interesting to see if Swoopes or Heard grabs the bull by the horns this summer. If I'm on the coaching staff, I let them believe Kai Locksley has a chance to get in the mix if they do not step up, which could give them more incentive.

- Tevin Mack gives Shaka a shooter who score points. He loves to crossover guys and put up a J. Would be a great addition.

- I'm with you on Chris Warren.

- Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez watched Mayweather become rich by taking calculated risks. It explains why both men are running from Triple G. 3Gs picks apart Cotto with ease.

- I can't believe the Clippers collapsed like that.

- I'm so glad I have a son
I'm not sure I believe in either guy enough right now to give them any kind of benefit of the doubt.

Mack is exactly the type of weapon that might have saved Barnes job this year had he been on the team.

Cotto needs to be called out for fighting a guy that GGG already destroyed in three rounds. That's embarrassing and not even a calculated risk. That's Rocky III stuff when Balboa wasn't giving Lang the time of day and was cashing checks.

I can believe the Clippers collapsed like thatl.

The thought of my 14-month old daughter going to prom nearly aged my soul 10 years this weekend.

Reactions: Anwar Richardson
i agree one of my favorites.....but when I think of George to me it starts and ends with "the chair"
I think a case can be made for my top 4.

You Look So Good in Love is the greatest country waltz of all-time for my money.

I think a case can be made for my top 4.

You Look So Good in Love is the greatest country waltz of all-time for my money.

In terms of the new stuff...your right its not like the old classics of his....but I am very partial to "Run" as it relates to his newer stuff....just a great song....

he has so much good stuff you could go see him at AT&T stadium for a week and not be disappointed if you didnt here a particulur song played every time you went....

Amarillo by Morning is #1. 7 and 10 don't belong IMO. Fool Hearted Memory has to be on there.

So, when you did your top 25 QBs you had covered, was Johnny Manziel not on the list?

Reactions: TexSoul
Littlefinger plays the Game better than anyone. Look how many people he's had a hand in bending over - no pun intended. When does the Stark family start getting some wins? Snow?
The Starks are the post-Super Bowl XXX Cowboys.

Kids these days... WTF is up with that dress and his hand on her ass? I'd lose it if that were my daughter.
That kid looks like he's wearing a jacket that Shaq wore in high school when he wasn't bulked up.

Read your response about Oliver not being the only DT not getting love from Texas. Is Chris Daniels another? I noticed no Texas offer. Thoughts on Daniels?
Yes, I was speaking of Daniels, who I think eventually gets an offer.

My George list:

Last 5 out-- If I know me, unwound, Ocean front property, write this down and does Ft. Worth ever cross your mind.

10. I can still make Cheyenne
9. If your thinking you want a stranger
8. All my Exes live in Texas
7 .Fool-Hearted Memory
6. Baby blue
5. Marina Del Rey
4. Cowboy rides away
3. Nobody in his right mind
2. The Chair
1. Amarillo by morning
That's a great list. Marina Del Rey needs more consideration from me.

I have to comment on two points made, one by Ketch and one by hornrush

1. Both QBs looked like lost freshman.

One is going into his third year and the other going into his second. Swoopes might be as close to hitting a ceiling as rounding a corner. I'm not sure I'd give Heard a pass on his mistakes either. Plenty of redshirt freshman are looking comfortable playing as QB1 in the spring of their freshman year. Two of the last three Heisman winners were redshirt freshman.

2. Swoopes and Heard have more athletic talent than McCoy.

There are about five skills a QB needs to have that are more important than running, jumping and lifting weights. Reaction time and throwing accuracy are athletic skills for a QB.
You underrate McCoy's athleticism.

Dammit, Geoff! Considering you're still somewhat of a new father, I'll cut you some slack here. But, if you can listen to "The Best Day" and not get choked up while thinking about little Hendrix, then you're doing it wrong. Good news is, there is still an edit button and we're only on page three, so you can still get ahead of this (sort of). Btw, "Love Without End, Amen" falls into that same line of thinking. Here is the correct list:

Last 5 out: Heartland, Carrying Your Love With Me, Ocean Front Property, She'll Leave You With a Smile, You Look So Good In Love
  1. Amarillo By Morning
  2. Baby Blue
  3. The Chair
  4. I Can Still Make Cheyenne
  5. The Best Day (For all the fathers with sons out there.... Geoff....?)
  6. Cowboy Rides Away
  7. Run
  8. Love Without End, Amen (see #5.... Geoff...?)
  9. I Cross My Heart
  10. Check Yes or No (a bit cheezy?....yes, but stop judging)
There you have it.

Son of a beeyatch - I had forgotten about the Sneed/McCoy showdown - great refresher and super analogy Ketch of how things can change.

Here's hoping one of the two has that kind of take charge approach and, by his actions, DEMANDS to be the starter !!

You underrate McCoy's athleticism.
To Ketch's point, I remember running into Colt at Freebirds the spring of his senior year in HS. He was there with the Jim Ned basketball team he was part of that made it to state that year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT