ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

to quote Yoda....."Do or do not....there is no try"

We either win this game or lose it...no such thing as almost winning. I believe we can win it and will be very pissed with anything less.

come on Horns...lets make ole "fatty Patty" really sweat

TBF, he wasn't talking moral victories. He was simply saying us being competitive while aggy gets trashed would be a positive in the eyes of the recruits. Which of course is true.

Still, I f*cking hate that dirty arrogant prick Art Viles Jr, and can't stand losing to him. So until he gets busted like his partner in crime did, beating his crooked ass is the only satisfactory option. Puck Fatterson.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHop6714
TBF, he wasn't talking moral victories. He was simply saying us being competitive while aggy gets trashed would be a positive in the eyes of the recruits. Which of course is true.

Still, I f*cking hate that dirty arrogant prick Art Viles Jr, and can't stand losing to him. So until he gets busted like like his partner in crime did, beating his crooked ass is the only satisfactory option. Puck Fatterson.
I want to win them all as much as anybody. But we've got to be good before we can be great. 5-7 is a long way from 14-0. Last year we made it to 7-6, but we still have to build steps upon steps. With how TCU has thrashed us the past several years, playing well and playing them close would be a gigantic improvement for this program.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I want to win them all as much as anybody. But we've got to be good before we can be great. 5-7 is a long way from 14-0. Last year we made it to 7-6, but we still have to build steps upon steps. With how TCU has thrashed us the past several years, playing well and playing them close would be a gigantic improvement for this program.

There are lots of examples of bad teams that became great over a 2 season span. 2000 Oklahoma went from 8-5 in 1999 to 2000 national champs. 2001 tOSU to 2002 tOSU National champs. USC 2002 to 2003 AP national Champs. There are a few other examples, but you get the idea. In every one of those exampels was a elite coaching staff.

I think the Big 12 grows to 16 teams and add the AZ schools, Utah, Colorado and the LA schools (or Boise state and UH). Form 2 eight team conference with the 6 PAC, TT and ISU making up the west and the rest of the conference in the east. UT plays all 7 division teams and 3 rotating west division teams and 2 out of conference teams. Have a mega conference championship

I've been meaning to address this. There is no way the Pac 12 breaks up. They might put the dagger into the Big 12 by adding 4 Big 12 schools, but it won't go the other way around. A much more likely scenerio would be when the next round of conference alignments takes place you will see maybe a couple of SEC schools break away and go with Texas to form a new conference. What I think will happen is Texas will lose the LHN and you will see Arkansas and LSU maybe jump from the SEC to a new Conference with Oklahoma, Texas OSU, TCU Kansas, Rice, (not Houston) Nebraska, Tech, and Colorado.

It is a much more likely scenerio than breaking up the PAC. I Nebraska is seeing that they just aren't ever going to be competitive in the B1G as they have no natural recruiting base and would like to get back into Texas. I think LSU and Arkansas would like more exposure in Texas and a little separation from Bama.

The SEC network makes good money, but so would a conference network with Texas, Oklahoma, LSU and a rejuvenated Arkansas. and Nebraska. Money would not be an issue, and that conference would be every bit as tough as the SEC.

Now if Texas decided to join the PAC, along with Oklahoma, OSU and Kansas would be a good conference, but there is a lot of political crap to deal with in dealing with Cal and Stanford. I just don't see it being successful I would much rather Texas join the SEC or B1G at this point.

Reactions: oldhorn2
I've been meaning to address this. There is no way the Pac 12 breaks up. They might put the dagger into the Big 12 by adding 4 Big 12 schools, but it won't go the other way around. A much more likely scenerio would be when the next round of conference alignments takes place you will see maybe a couple of SEC schools break away and go with Texas to form a new conference. What I think will happen is Texas will lose the LHN and you will see Arkansas and LSU maybe jump from the SEC to a new Conference with Oklahoma, Texas OSU, TCU Kansas, Rice, (not Houston) Nebraska, Tech, and Colorado.

It is a much more likely scenerio than breaking up the PAC. I Nebraska is seeing that they just aren't ever going to be competitive in the B1G as they have no natural recruiting base and would like to get back into Texas. I think LSU and Arkansas would like more exposure in Texas and a little separation from Bama.

The SEC network makes good money, but so would a conference network with Texas, Oklahoma, LSU and a rejuvenated Arkansas. and Nebraska. Money would not be an issue, and that conference would be every bit as tough as the SEC.

Now if Texas decided to join the PAC, along with Oklahoma, OSU and Kansas would be a good conference, but there is a lot of political crap to deal with in dealing with Cal and Stanford. I just don't see it being successful I would much rather Texas join the SEC or B1G at this point.
TBH, I don't see a scenario where nebraska, arkansas and Colorado ever get back in bed with us. Too much butthurt still

Reactions: cwillfromdatx
I make 1 reply about UT being a hot bed for lineman. And just because UT is a Pac XII state this thread gets hijacked into TX joining the Pac XII.

Time for a reality check. We're making progress no doubt. But the TX Longhorns are still down. We just a broke a 4 game losing streak against the Pac XII for goodness sake. We lost back to back to MD. The point is we might actually do worse. If we joined one of the other conferences. Let's try to get this thread back t where it should be and that's recruiting.

And I laugh at this joining one of the conferences threads. We should only be concerned about getting back to where we belong.

HookemHorns

Reactions: OhioHorn25
Texas being up, Texas being down, doesn't matter, Texas is still Texas and they still bring the TV sets No matter where Texas goes, when they are on the road, that game is going to be sold out. This is the appeal to Texas moving into any conference they want.

We are pretty stack at S but we need some top notch corners. Davis and Boyd will be gone and I do not like Boyce. Cook is a beast though

We are pretty stack at S but we need some top notch corners. Davis and Boyd will be gone and I do not like Boyce. Cook is a beast though
Don’t forget about highly ranked CB Jalen Green redshirting currently. Also, D’Shawn Jamison can always switch back to CB if needed.

Don’t forget about highly ranked CB Jalen Green redshirting currently. Also, D’Shawn Jamison can always switch back to CB if needed.

Exactly. people seem to be forgetting Jalen. Don't take him redshirting as a slight of his talent. We just have the luxury of being able to RS him this year.

The PAC has the worst TV deal and the rank and file hate Larry Scott's complete failure as a leader. The fans are ready to jump to the Big 12. Take the four California schools and throw Baylor out and take one to three more.

absolutely. im starting to think he may never play. hes had 2 or 3 heat related issues. it takes about a year to recover from a heatstroke if thats what he had earlier this year. hopefully he makes a full recovery.

The PAC has the worst TV deal and the rank and file hate Larry Scott's complete failure as a leader. The fans are ready to jump to the Big 12. Take the four California schools and throw Baylor out and take one to three more.
I would keep Baylor for another instate team to play. I would rather take the AZ schools with a possibility of the LA schools. Stanford and Cal would be good additions but i dont see them moving. Especially playing KSU or ISU those games wouldn't sell

absolutely. im starting to think he may never play. hes had 2 or 3 heat related issues. it takes about a year to recover from a heatstroke if thats what he had earlier this year. hopefully he makes a full recovery.
I was thinking the same thing. He has the ability but has a weight problem. Hopefully he can pull through because we are going to need him next year, big time.

I would keep Baylor for another instate team to play. I would rather take the AZ schools with a possibility of the LA schools. Stanford and Cal would be good additions but i dont see them moving. Especially playing KSU or ISU those games wouldn't sell

PAC realignment honks sem pretty fixated on adding Rice or UH to have games in Houston for recruiting.

i wish that the realignment talk would go away for ever. its ruining college football. those people that want us to go out west and play 11pm start time games east coast are idiots, the people that want us to join the big 10 and head up north to michigan in november can eat a fat one. the people that want us to go independant can build a bonfire and die in it.

I like the realignment talk and think that its a good thing. No, I don't think Texas joining the Pac 12 would be a good move due to the logistics and time slots for games for all sports. However, when the current conference agreement expires, its pretty much a given that the Big 12 will be shaken up or blown up. How the dust settles and who goes where is a big question. IMO, a complete realignment for the NCAA makes a lot of sense, but most likely won't happen. It'll be interesting to see how all of this shakes out in the coming years.

I like the realignment talk and think that its a good thing. No, I don't think Texas joining the Pac 12 would be a good move due to the logistics and time slots for games for all sports. However, when the current conference agreement expires, its pretty much a given that the Big 12 will be shaken up or blown up. How the dust settles and who goes where is a big question. IMO, a complete realignment for the NCAA makes a lot of sense, but most likely won't happen. It'll be interesting to see how all of this shakes out in the coming years.
Four super-conferences would be great for the playoff. But, an 8-team playoff would be really fun as well.

I wonder if we would have the clout to bring teams from B1G or PAC into the Big XII to make it more powerful, as opposed to Big XII being the one to disband

Reactions: LonghornMM
Look, this is a game of musical chairs and the best number of teams for playoffs within 4 conferences is 64. We already see this in CBB with the NCAA Basketball tounament. Think of the regular season as the tournament and the playoff as the final four.

I wonder if we would have the clout to bring teams from B1G or PAC into the Big XII to make it more powerful, as opposed to Big XII being the one to disband

The B1G/PAC/SEC aren't going to breakup. The pieces have been falling in place over the last couple decades. Don't think of re-alignment as huge unwieldy conferences. Instead, think of them as mini regional conferences within a large conference. Oklahoma has stated within the last year that they want out. This desire does not include Texas as part of their plan. UT has a larger responsibility politically in Texas and we aren't going to hop to the B1G with OU. We certainly aren't going to the $ec. There are High Schools in Texas that have a more reputable diploma than some of the Sec schools.

PAC realignment honks sem pretty fixated on adding Rice or UH to have games in Houston for recruiting.

None of the mid-majors will be moving up to the P4 conferences when there are already enough teams from the current P5's to choose from.

i wish that the realignment talk would go away for ever. its ruining college football. those people that want us to go out west and play 11pm start time games east coast are idiots, the people that want us to join the big 10 and head up north to michigan in november can eat a fat one. the people that want us to go independant can build a bonfire and die in it.

Sorry man but Texas teams in the PAC wouldn't be playing 9 pm games like the Texas Rangers do. As illustrated above, we would be paired up with the 4 teams from the mountain time zone, so we would play 2 away games against the 4 teams from that pod per season. It's only an hour time difference. Next we would have to play one team from each of the far west pods, one home and one away. The conference can adjust for time zone differences. It's only a 2 hour difference.

So to review, 3 conference games with Texas (Tech, TCU, BU) teams. 4 games with Mountain west pod and 2 with far west for a total of 9 conference games. This leaves 3 games for OOC. We could still do OU at State Fair, A&M at Thanksgiving and one tuneup at beginning of season. I don't see the problems with this scenario but change is difficult for some.

The SWC didn't and the Big 12 won't survive because of the hatred for The University of Texas by some. If you want me to list the schools and their gripes against us, I can. The reason we team with Tech, TCU, and BU is because they will be happy to go with us.

Last edited:
We aren't going to a conference without an ESPN conference network until 2031. There are some clauses in the LHN contract that are very favorable to ESPN should we leave the Big 12. They keep our third tier rights and they have a right to match any offer on first and second tier rights. I doubt the PAC 12 wants to pay us for 6 years with that type of uncertainty. If the Big 12 falls apart in 2025 the only real opportunity for us is SEC or ACC. The CBS deal with SEC could be a sticking point. ESPN could lock in every Texas home game over that 6 year period.

We aren't going to a conference without an ESPN conference network until 2031. There are some clauses in the LHN contract that are very favorable to ESPN should we leave the Big 12. They keep our third tier rights and they have a right to match any offer on first and second tier rights. I doubt the PAC 12 wants to pay us for 6 years with that type of uncertainty. If the Big 12 falls apart in 2025 the only real opportunity for us is SEC or ACC. The CBS deal with SEC could be a sticking point. ESPN could lock in every Texas home game over that 6 year period.

As stated before, the academic standards of the SEC won't cut it. The ACC is too far away unless we want to recruit east coast kids. Plus, the ACC is a basketball conference.

OU is going to bolt. The best fit to the puzzle is the PAC. Some deals and concessions are going to have to be made.

Also by 2025 or sooner, streaming games is going to be the way cfb is viewed. I imagine Google, Netflix, Apple will be larger players than ESPN.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT