ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

Per EJ @ 247

— Five-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington will not be announcing his decision this coming weekend as originally scheduled. There are also some March 9 reports floating around, but those are inaccurate. Whittington needs more time and is counting to take in the recruiting process. Whittington does not have a new decision timeline. We still have reason to believe Texas is in a good spot, but Texas A&M is making a big impression as is UCLA, where he visited over the weekend.

— Texas did not make the cut for five-star California defensive lineman Kayvon Thibodeaux. However, I am told by a source familiar with his recruitment that the Longhorns can get back into the picture if they make a stronger push. The source said Oscar Giles needs to build a better relationship with Thibodeaux and press for a visit. He is very open to leaving the West Coast.

— Texas extended an offer to four-star California defensive back Mykael Wright today. So do the Longhorns have a chance? Well, Texas obviously needs to get him on campus, but I am told there is some legitimate interest early on. Wright played against Texas quarterback Cameron Rising last season, and he is sure to be involved in this recruitment.

— A 2019 defensive lineman to keep an eye on is three-star Putnam City (Okla.) end Collin Clay. He has been in touch with Giles and plans to make a visit to UT at some point this spring. He is optimistic that an offer will come his way. Clay is from the same school as one-time Texas commit Ron Tatum. He holds offers from Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Michigan and others.

Unpossible. All 4 of the aggy propaganda fauxmentum predictions said aggy.

Good pickup. Pretty stout offer list already. Can always use talent on the D line.

Yep. And we shouldn't worry about the ranking either, it will go up. The coaches, at most schools, are way out in front of the internet websites at this point. The Texas staff has offered numerous guys that didn't even have a ranking or profile yet.

Yep. And we shouldn't worry about the ranking either, it will go up. The coaches, at most schools, are way out in front of the internet websites at this point. The Texas staff has offered numerous guys that didn't even have a ranking or profile yet.
This. I always look at the offer list and weigh that in my opinion of the player more than the recruiting services.

Funny thing happened to me this morning.....have this aggie friend (well acquaintance) who was talking smack about how the 2018 TEXAS class was inflated in the rankings because of all the high ranking safeties and corners we took last year. I saw him today and asked him why aggie jimbo was inflating that aggie 2019 class by getting all these highly ranked safeties and corners to verbally commit. Told me it was different because......i cut him off and said "because aggie always have a double standard" i just smiled and he just looked down and walked away. Thought it was pretty funny way to start a monday.

I see your co-worker was still holding to the false narrative that our O/D-line recruiting was weak this year. That was true before we closed strong on both fronts.

Check this thread on page 2 for my breakdown "If aggy tries to make fun of our 7 on 7 class"

OB War Room - (From Suchomel)

The big news this weekend will be the upcoming decisions from both Jordan Whittington and Calvin Anderson. The Longhorns are obviously major players for both players, and it’s certainly no stretch to say Texas is the leader to land both.

Whittington is slated to announce his decision on Saturday at 2 p.m. via a video he’ll release on Twitter.

The Rivals100 member out of Cuero is down to Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA and Florida but for all intents and purposes, this is an in-state battle between the Longhorns and the Aggies.
Whittington has taken numerous visits to both UT and A&M and has developed strong relationships with both coaching staffs. He plans to enroll early at whatever school he chooses. Whittington has changed his commitment plans a few times, but this one looks like it’ll stick.

If Texas lands Whittington, Cuero head coach Travis Reeve said the Longhorns will be getting a young man that can impact a guy in several ways, but also is a standout in the locker room and the classroom.

“He’s just one of those kids that can do so many different things on the field. He just makes an impact no matter what he’s doing,” Reeve said. “He can take over a game on offense as wide receiver or wildcat quarterback. Defensively, you can match him up on a team’s best player, free up other guys to double cover other good wide receivers. On special teams, he’s made such a difference in field position for us. Either he’s going to have a big return, or people are going to kick it short and away from him. He has an impact on the game that most kids don’t have from an individual standpoint.”

One thing worth noting on Whittington ... he did tell me this week that he’ll likely still take visits despite his commitment, so if Texas lands him, the coaches will have to continue to make him a priority over the course of the spring and fall.

There’s no set time yet for Calvin Anderson’s announcement, but he too is scheduled to make his decision on Saturday. Anderson, the grad transfer o-lineman out of Rice, will pick either Texas, OU, Auburn or Michigan.

We’ll have our answers to both decisions by the end of Saturday, but it’s looking like there’s a strong chance that it could be a very productive recruiting weekend for the Longhorns.
Independence (KS) Community College defensive end Jermaine Johnson picked up a Texas offer last week, and he told me this week he has a very strong interest in the Longhorns. In fact, Johnson told me Texas is the only school he knows for sure to which he’ll be taking an official visit.
“I definitely plan on taking an official visit to Texas. I plan on saving one for them,” Johnson said. “Aside from them, I haven’t set any up.”

Johnson holds offers from Texas, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Louisville and Utah. The UT interest is fairly new, but Johnson has stayed in close contact with Oscar Giles of late.

“Coach (Todd) Orlando called me. He was just saying how impressed him and the defensive staff were with my film. Then coach Giles took over the contact with me, again saying how good I was at rushing the quarterback,” Johnson said. “Then the offer came, he said I’m the best at my position, the best pass rusher in the nation. I was very excited and flattered by the comments.”
Johnson will graduate in December and will have two years to play two seasons of Division I ball. He says he’s not in a huge rush to make a decision and wants to weigh his options into the fall. Expect Texas to be a major factor.

“It’s just the great program they’ve built. The Fan base they have, the overall energy they bring,” Johnson said. “The Longhorns, everybody knows they’re an elite program. That brings a lot of excitement for me. When an elite program comes for me, a guy who didn’t get any offers out of high school, it means a lot for me that a school like Texas is coming after me.”

Johnson is originally from Minnesota and is currently living in Kansas. He says he wants to get out of the Midwest, which could weigh in UT’s favor.

"I kind of want to get out of the Midwest. My mom is moving up to Arizona. My sister and aunt already live in California. My youngest sister is planning to attend college in Arizona. So somewhere south, southwest. Anywhere but the Midwest," Johnson said.

Top national DB Kenyatta Watson has taken recent unofficial visits to his two finalists, Notre Dame and Texas. Per his father, he’ll return to Notre Dame for a practice on March 24 and will be back in Austin on April 5, during his spring break, to take in a UT practice. Watson also has September official visits scheduled to both schools.

Watson did say this week that he’s still undecided between his two finalists, but one person with knowledge of his recruitment told me this week that the signs are pointing to Texas. I’d agree after my communication with Watson and his father.

“I’d say Texas right now based on what I’ve heard,” the source said.
If the Longhorns can land the Rivals250 member out of Loganville (GA) Grayson, it would be yet another huge pick-up for the Texas staff on the heels of landing the nation’s top DB class in 2018. Impressive stuff.

There’s been a pretty dramatic turn for top cornerback prospect Marcus Banks.

A few weeks ago, Banks was all set to announce his decision, and it looked like the Longhorns would win out. Last weekend, the Spring Dekaney product took a visit to LSU, and things have suddenly been turned upside down.

“I would say right now LSU would be my top school, but I am still very open to all schools,” Banks said this week.

Up next, Banks will take a visit to Alabama in April. He did say he’ll be back in Austin for a return visit this spring (he also attended UT junior day), so Texas will have its shot to make another impression, but this one looks like it’ll be much tougher than it originally appeared.

2020 defensive end Alec Bryant took an unofficial visit to Texas last weekend, and said he liked everything he saw. Bryant spent time with Oscar Giles and was shown some of the formations Texas uses and how Bryant would be utilized.

“He was saying I would be the B backer, like outside linebacker and defensive end. I’d pass rush sometimes, sometimes be back in the flats to cover,” Bryant said.

So far, Bryant has visited UT and Houston. He holds two early offers (Oregon State, Tulsa) and described Texas as a dream school growing up. Others that he’s always liked are Florida, LSU and Indiana (his brother plays for Indiana).

No offer for Bryant yet, but he’ll be a player worth monitoring moving forward.

I've been out of town and busy with work recently but I've been keeping up with the Bryan Carrington and all things Texas Recruiting as well. Here are some updates.

New Offers:
Jashawn Sheffield, 4 star WR (0.9591) out of Ga
Demariyon Houston, 4 star WR (0.9341) out of OK
Larry Hodges, 3 star (0.8638) TE, out of Florida (Miami Commit)
Jermaine Johnson, JUCO DE
Nathan Pickering, 4 star (0.9718) DE out of MS
Justin Eboigbe, 4 star DE (0.9506) out of Ga
Lloyd Summerall, 4 star DE (0.9259) out of Fl
Rian Davis, 3 star (0.8728) DE out of FL
David Gbenda, 4 star and rising (0.8967) ILB visited Austin and earned an offer. Texas is favored and ILB is a huge need position
Cade Stover, 4 star OLB (0.9487) out of Oh
Makiya Tongue, 3 star OLB (0.8900) out of La
Elijah Blades, JUCO CB
Mykael Wright, 4 star CB (0.9741) out of Ca
Christian Harris, 4 star CB (0.9216) out of La
High 4 star (.9786) and number 3 safety in nation, Lewis Cine offered. From Maryland but now living in Cedar Hill.

Movers and Shakers:
5 star OT Kenyon Green and 4 star OT Javonne Shepard visited Texas last weekend. Both have been favored to go elsewhere so the visits were huge.
Tyler Johnson, high 4 star OT also visited Texas. Texas has been the favorites here for a while.
Stacey Wilkins, 4 star OT from Ark, names Texas in top 10

5 star DT out of Hawaii - Faatui Tuitele will visit Texas this weekend
Lloyd Murray, 3 star DT, names Texas in top 10 and sets commitment date of May 5th

4 star OLB, DeGabriel Floyd out of Ca will also visit Texas this weekend, Texas is currently the leader

Ath Marquez Beason does not list Texas in top 4

Top safety prospect Kenyatta Watson named us in his top 2 along with Notre Dame. Has visits to both schools planned for spring and fall.
4 star safety Jamal Morris names Texas, LSU, OU as top 3
Demani Richardon, 4 star S, commits to TAMU

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Jordan Whittington and WR Recruiting
The Big news this weekend was the commit of 5 star, and top Texas WR Jordan Whittington. The number 4 WR in the nation is an uber athlete who also excels as a DB at Cuero. He has the potential to be a truly game changing WR. Further, J-Whit has already been recruiting for Texas and a talent like him can really help lead a class.

Texas will continue to pursue Theo Wease and Arjei Henderson but it seems more likely that we will face off against these two top 10 WRs down the road. Texas has instead honed in on Austin area talents Garrett Wilson (4 star and number 14 WR) and Elijah Higgins (4 star, number 45 WR). These two seem to be heavy Texas leans at this point and QB commit Roschon Johnson has been spending time with them when he can.

The other primary WR to keep an eye is Dylan Wright out of Mesquite, The 4 star WR (number 33 overall) has been climbing up rankings boards and is freakishly athletic. Texas definitely has a shot here as well.

Texas signed 3 top 20 WRs last year and stacking a class like the one above behind that bodes well for the receive corps going forward.

WR
Jordan Whittington - 5 star (0.9838) - TX - TEXAS COMMIT
- Tx visit 2/3/18

Theo Wease - 4 star (0.9828) - TX - Offered
- Texas not in top 7 (1/2018)
Devonta Lee - 4 star (0.9725) - La - Offered
Arjei Henderson - 4 star (0.9718) - TX - Offered
- Junior Day 2/18
Marquez Beason - 4 star (0.9710) - TX - Illinois Commit (Offered)
Marcus Washington - 4 star (0.9685) - Mo - Offered
Garrett Wilson - 4 star (0.9639) - TX - Offered
- Visited 2/3/18
- Junior Day 2/18
Jalen Curry - 4 star (0.9609) - TX - No Offer
Jashawn Sheffield - 4 star (0.9591) - Ga - Offered
Kam Brown - 4 star (0.9478) - TX - TAMU Commit (Offered)
Jake Smith - 4 star (0.9450) - Az - Offered
Trejan Bridges - 4 star (0.9428) - TX - OU Commit (No Offer)
Demariyon Houston - 4 star (0.9341) - OK - Offered
Dylan Wright - 4 star (0.9270) - TX - Offered
- Junior Day 2/18
Tamauzia Brown - 4 star (0.9204) - TX (No Offer)
- Junior Day 2/18
Elijah Higgins - 4 star (0.9046) - TX - Offered
- Junior Day 2/18
Kenyon Jackson - 4 star (0.9013) - GA - Offered
Genson Hooper-Price - 3 star (0.8861) - TX (No Offer)
Jaylen Ellis - 3 star (0.8628) - TX - Baylor Commit (No Offer)
- Junior Day 2/18

Ke'Andre Street - 3 star (0.8477) - TX - No offer
- Junior Day 2/18
Robbie Williams - NR - TX - No offer
- Junior Day 2/18

Last edited:
Texas making moves with some major OL recruits

Branson Bragg and Tyler Johnson have been considered Texas leans for a while now but after some recent visits things are heating up with some other OL targets.

Kenyon Green, 5 star OT - 2nd best in the nation, was looking like a TAMU lean after he visited "The Station" but things have shifted after he made it to Texas' campus. It shouldn't be too shocking considering how much success Bryan Carrington has had anytime we get a kid on campus. The visit was eye opening and according to this tweet Texas seems right in the thick of the battle for the state's top player.

Visiting at the same time with Green was Javonne Shepherd. The 4 star tackle had been reportedly high on Texas, listing us in his top 4, but had to cancel an UOV due to illness. This caused some concern but he was able to quickly reschedule and appeared to really enjoy his visiting. Based on his twitter feed, a commitment or narrowed down favorites list could be coming soon.

What is really intriguing, the 4 linemen mentioned seem to have developed a relationship among themselves and may want to play together at the next level. As a group they represent 2 of the top 5 tackles in the nation, and 4 of the top 5 linemen in Texas (excluding Texas target and 4 star guard Ej Ndoma-Ogar). Seeing that Johnson and Bragg are felt to be strong Texas leans, there seems to be only one place that could happen. Package deals rarely work out, but heck, look at what we did at safety last year.

Texas is also in good position with 4 stars EJ Ndoma-Ogar as mentioned above and Stacey Wilkins out of Arkansas who listed Texas in his top 10.

OT
Kenyon Green
- 5 star (0.9921) - TX - Offered
- Visit March 4th
Tyler Johnson - 4 star (0.9797) - TX - Offered
- UOV 10/17
- Visit March 4th
Evan Neal - 4 star (0.9784) - FL (IMG) - No offer
- Visited Texas 2/12/18
Wanya Morris - 4 star (0.9770) - GA - Offered
Ray Parker - 4 star (0.9402) - LA - Offered
Darius Thomas - 4 star (0.9359) - Ar - Offered
- Junior Day 2/18
Javonne Shepard - 4 star (0.9054) - TX - Offered
- Junior Day 2/18
- Visit March 4th
Stacey Wilkins - 4 star (0.8950) - Ar - Offered
- Junior Day 2/18
- Texas listed in top 10
Jack Buford - 3 star (0.8839) - Mo - Offered
Brannon Brown - 3 star (0.8628) - TX - TCU Commit (No Offer)
Jade Ashalintubbi - NR - TX - No Offer

C/G
Kardell Thomas - 5 star (0.9864) - La - LSU Commit (Offered)
EJ Ndoma Ogar - 4 star (0.9343) - TX - Offered
Branson Bragg - 4 star (0.9036) - TX - Offered
Vincent Murphy - 3 star (0.8739) - Fl - South Carolina Commit (Offered)

If Herman can put up some wins this year I think he has a shot at recruiting even better than Mack did mostly because he’s shown a willingness to go out of state that Mack didn’t always. Not only is Herman going to pluck the best kids from Texas but he’s gonna be able to land some of the best recruits nationwide.

Gotta put up some wins though. Can only sell hope for a couple years

Reactions: Cotton #12
Herman is absolutely killing it in recruiting right now. If Texas starts winning big, they'll begin recruiting on an Alabama type of level. Think about it. If Herman is doing this well with the results of last year, what will UT recruiting be like when he starts winning big?!

Hopefully the wins will come. Right now we seem to be projecting future wins like they are a given. It is hard to win. I am with everyone else in thinking those wins are sure to come, but until they do we dont need to go full blown aggy and assume them.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Hopefully the wins will come. Right now we seem to be projecting future wins like they are a given. It is hard to win. I am with everyone else in thinking those wins are sure to come, but until they do we dont need to go full blown aggy and assume them.

If Herman can put up some wins this year I think he has a shot at recruiting even better than Mack did mostly because he’s shown a willingness to go out of state that Mack didn’t always. Not only is Herman going to pluck the best kids from Texas but he’s gonna be able to land some of the best recruits nationwide.

Gotta put up some wins though. Can only sell hope for a couple years

Agreed. Classes of the top 25 players in Texas will always land you in the top 5 of the recruiting rankings and that is mostly what Mack was doing. If you constantly want to be the number 1 class, you take the top 20 (more or less) in Texas and 5 5 stars from OOS. If Herman can put up 10 win seasons like Mack did, he definitely has the recruiting chops and resources to do that.

5 Star CB Derek Stingley listed Texas in his Top 6.

A top notch DB from La will always be hard to pull away from LSU but we definitely have a shot here. Texas should have a good draft in regards to DBs (Holton Hill, Jordan Elliott) and if we can put together a good W-L record led by top notch defensive and DB play next season, Stingley's interest will certainly be piqued. In addition to that, we will likely see a lot of youth in the defensive backfield which is always intriguing to a recruit. If LSU sputters, and the drama surrounding coach O intensifies, the door could open for Herman, Carrington and Co.

Daryll Stingley's grandson

Had to look up who that was. Daryll was one of the top WRs at the time and was on the verge of signing a contract that would have made him the highest paid WR in the league. A bad pass over the middle led to Stingley lunging for the ball and the hardest hitter of all time, Jack Tatum, launched into him - shoulder to helmet - and left Stingley paralyzed from the neck down. He never signed that high dollar contract. He lived on for 30 more years but died of heart disease and pneumonia that were complicated by his quadriplegia. Sad story but thanks for introducing it to me DJ.

Had to look up who that was. Daryll was one of the top WRs at the time and was on the verge of signing a contract that would have made him the highest paid WR in the league. A bad pass over the middle led to Stingley lunging for the ball and the hardest hitter of all time, Jack Tatum, launched into him - shoulder to helmet - and left Stingley paralyzed from the neck down. He never signed that high dollar contract. He lived on for 30 more years but died of heart disease and pneumonia that were complicated by his quadriplegia. Sad story but thanks for introducing it to me DJ.

And sadly, it happened during a pre-season game at that.

I have the Horns winning the National Championship this year.:)

Jesus man!....In the name of mercy....you cant put that on a message board that those of us struggling with Koolaide recovery can just open and read!!!

I have no control over this monster that has me in its grip.....oh damn!...gotta call my bookie!

Reactions: freeper
New Offers out to Chester Kimbrough (4 star CB from NOLA, goes to school just down the block from my house) and 3 star safety out of MS Jarrian Jones.

5 star DT Faatui Tuitele, from Hawaii, will be in town this weekend for a visit. Let's see if Jake Langi can work his magic this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT