ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

all 4 guards were outstanding defensively; all 4 of them. so was disu. not to say mitchell, bishop, or cunningham were bad. but those 5 were clearly outstanding. carr still isn't back to form but most of his misses were long tonight, so maybe his legs are back. SJR missed 3 wide open layups throughout the game that could have blown the game open. rebounding was better. we looked bad the first 10 minutes, and the last 3ish. other than that, we looked great. we won a game where carr, SJR, and timmy allen weren't rolling on offense.

side note-- terrible, TERRIBLE technical on NCOY. you can't give the opponent points in that situation with the clock stopped, 94 feet from the basket. i think the decision is made, one way or the other, but if he doesn't get the job you can point at that as absolute justification. either lack of control, or lack of situational awareness
I’d love to know what he said because the official was on the other side of the court, and Terry wasn’t being demonstrative, or showing the official up(he was right btw should of been a foul) and she T’d him up from 40 feet away. He either said something pretty bad or she was overly sensitive.

Brock Cunningham is my pet peeve. I get that he’s a fan fave, and a Texas legacy guy. I also admit that the guy plays hard and hustles, and I admire and respect that. However, the guy commits way too many fouls. He’s really no threat offensively unless he is wide open and allowed to have a set shot. I’m not saying he shouldn’t play, but morris should probably be eating in to some of his mins

We owe a lot on that new arena. Our ability to pay depends on the number of butts in seats. Texas has a small margin for error.
You act like Texas hasn’t been attracting good coaches and players here for the last 30 years. Rick Barnes was a successful coach before coming to Texas and attracted a lot of really good players here without a new arena.

Shaka smart was the hottest coaching candidate in the country when we hired him just because it didn’t work out doesn’t change that fact, and he recruited high level players here.

Chris Beard again was probably the best coaching candidate out there and were certainly not looking for a coach because we chose to.

Does the new arena help? Sure doesn’t hurt, but Texas has been attracting top coaches and talent for the better part of 20-25 years

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I may get some tickets off of some of my k state friends and go to the game tomorrow lol

So Bill Self was hospitalized today? They won’t say why, but he’s supposed to miss the rest of the Big 12 tourney. Best wishes to Coach Self.

Reactions: diadevic
So Bill Self was hospitalized today? They won’t say why, but he’s supposed to miss the rest of the Big 12 tourney. Best wishes to Coach Self.
Sounds like he had some heart trouble. They aren’t calling it a heart attack but sounds like it is something in that realm

Rick Pitino to St. John's? My wish list for the UT job may be gone!

Lol apparently Tech wants Pitino too. He’d probably come closer to going to at johns than Tech give the fact he’s an east coast and an old school big East guy.

Everyone would want Rick Pitino if this was 2003. In 2023 most schools aren’t looking to hire a 70 year old coach. A school like at Johns who has been down for so many years and would love a 2-3 year run. Yeah why not?

Just perusing Pitino's wikipedia page: 25-8 and 25-7 the last two years at Iona. The dude still has it. At least for a little while.

HOWEVER - I didn't realize how much sleaze has followed him. He got cited as a GRADUATE ASSISTANT at Hawaii in the 1970's for recruiting violations. And he was a "victim" of an extortion attempt - allegedly got the wife of the equipment manager pregnant and she got 10 years for demanding $10 million. He would certainly liven things up in Austin.

Lol apparently Tech wants Pitino too. He’d probably come closer to going to at johns than Tech give the fact he’s an east coast and an old school big East guy.

Everyone would want Rick Pitino if this was 2003. In 2023 most schools aren’t looking to hire a 70 year old coach. A school like at Johns who has been down for so many years and would love a 2-3 year run. Yeah why not?
Man the Big East was bad arse in the day. Those were some ridiculous conference tournaments. Now, not so much. Watching Ewing, who I’ve never been a fan of, was painful watching him get fired. I’m all Phi Slama Jama.

Man the Big East was bad arse in the day. Those were some ridiculous conference tournaments. Now, not so much. Watching Ewing, who I’ve never been a fan of, was painful watching him get fired. I’m all Phi Slama Jama.
Yeah. The big 12 really has elements of those old school big East games. HOF coaches everywhere, every game just an absolute slugfeast

There is an ESPN 30 for 30 on the founding of the Big East. If you are from that era it is awesome.
Yeah I’ve watched it. It’s really well done. That was really great basketball. Of course a different time when guys stayed in college 3-4 years.

Reactions: outhereincali
I’d love to know what he said because the official was on the other side of the court, and Terry wasn’t being demonstrative, or showing the official up(he was right btw should of been a foul) and she T’d him up from 40 feet away. He either said something pretty bad or she was overly sensitive.

Brock Cunningham is my pet peeve. I get that he’s a fan fave, and a Texas legacy guy. I also admit that the guy plays hard and hustles, and I admire and respect that. However, the guy commits way too many fouls. He’s really no threat offensively unless he is wide open and allowed to have a set shot. I’m not saying he shouldn’t play, but morris should probably be eating in to some of his mins
cunningham is a valuable glue guy. he has no ego, so he'll get his hands dirty; he sets good screens; can hit pop out 3s when a defender won't come out; rebounds okay; gets on the floor. HOWEVER, sometimes the talent on the floor is over his abilities. and when that happens, it's OBVIOUS. in this league, it can happen. doesn't happen often because he is a good player, but it happens from time to time.

he may be coaching us n 15 years, by the way. just gives off that vibe.

Fran said kinda what I suspected. If we needed him Allen would be able to go, but Rodney Terry getting him ready for next week. Smart call

cunningham is a valuable glue guy. he has no ego, so he'll get his hands dirty; he sets good screens; can hit pop out 3s when a defender won't come out; rebounds okay; gets on the floor. HOWEVER, sometimes the talent on the floor is over his abilities. and when that happens, it's OBVIOUS. in this league, it can happen. doesn't happen often because he is a good player, but it happens from time to time.

he may be coaching us n 15 years, by the way. just gives off that vibe.
I agree with all that, and I’m not bagging on him. Just think he plays too much. Gets over exposed. Morris should be getting some of his mins and has been lately I’ve noticed.

he started scoring a few weeks ago. want to say he had a big game against oklahoma and another in a game we lost. he's developed his offensive game well

I agree with all that, and I’m not bagging on him. Just think he plays too much. Gets over exposed. Morris should be getting some of his mins and has been lately I’ve noticed.
he may going forward because he's stepped up lately, but he was awful earlier this year. every time he touched the ball, i groaned knowing something bad was about to happen. and then it would. but he's gotten better too

he may going forward because he's stepped up lately, but he was awful earlier this year. every time he touched the ball, i groaned knowing something bad was about to happen. and then it would. but he's gotten better too
Yeah I agree. Early in the season I was like keep this guy as far away from the floor as possible. Like you would see flashes from him and then like 10 WTF moments. But over this last few weeks he’s started to look like a future star. Credit to him for working on his game.

Hell of a stuff by Kansas City kid Christian Bishop. TCU finding it harder to play D with an officiating crew that will actually call fouls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT