ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

I STRONGLY disagree. Terry had a wonderful year - with Beard's players. We have no idea if he can create a roster. Actually we do have an idea - his prior 10 years as a head coach with a .500 record. UT has more money than anyone. Go spend it.
But those were at schools where nobody could have won.

I mean John Wooden couldn't have won at UTEP.

And if we get to the third round he will be back next year.

But those were at schools where nobody could have won.

I mean John Wooden couldn't have won at UTEP.

And if we get to the third round he will be back next year.
Haskins won at UTEP for decades (including a national title when Wooden was coaching) and Tark did ok at Fresno. But those were at schools where alot of coaches could not have won, including Rodney Terry. FIFY. Mic drop.

Agree. While not completely sold on Terry, he’s certainly earned the shot if he gets it. Donovan and Wright are the only coaches I’d take over him. Not Calipari. I can’t stand that guy. He’s a scumbag, and, fittingly, his name starts with “Cali”. Gross. No thanks, I’ll take Terry any day over him.

Speaking of Shaka, this really pisses me off that he’s now confirming that he was indeed the great coach we thought he was. Wtf is it with Texas ruining decent coaches? Sick of this shit.
I’m telling you, it’s the pressure of coaching at Texas that screws up good coaches. Every team and fan base (especially) gets up for us, even when we suck. Everyone plays fast and loose against Texas. We almost never get to play as a true underdog.

That’ll get any coach second guessing every decision. A constant and unnecessary pressure cooker.

It is really damn hard to coach here.

Everyone keeps saying “with beard’s players” you do realize that Terry had a lot to do with the guys that are here coming to Texas right? Arguably as much maybe more than Beard. Terry had a lot to do with the two 5 star guys we have coming in. In fact he’s had a lot to do with a lot of the great players that have played here the last 20 years.

There are plenty of examples of assistants taking the full time gig and doing really well. Frank Martin took over at K state for Bob Huggins and did very well.

Do you guys honestly believe if Jerome Tang had taken over for Scott Drew at Baylor he wouldn’t have done well? If Tommy Lloyd instead of going to Arizona had taken over for mark few at Gonzaga he would have done well? Of course they would have.

Mark Adams isn’t succeeding at Tech not becauee he isn’t a good coach it’s because he’s an asshole.

College coaching is about fit. Shaka smart isn’t a bad coach it just never fit at Texas. He goes to a place that does suit him a little better and he’s having success again. Rodney Terry fits at Texas and unless you can land a legit bad ass earth shattering coach(jay wright, Billy Donovan) I think you give Terry a short term deal and see how it goes. You sign him to a 3 year deal you aren’t married to him.
Shaka Smart lost to Abilene Christian. Frank Martin got fired at South Carolina. No, I don't think Tang would've won a national title at Baylor. So Terry made recruiting pitches - on behalf of Beard.

All that to say - shove all that dough to Billy Donovan. A proven big time winner at the collegiate level. The game has changed a little - transfer portal, NIL, etc. - but I would rather start with his baseline than a .500 coach.

Everyone keeps saying “with beard’s players” you do realize that Terry had a lot to do with the guys that are here coming to Texas right? Arguably as much maybe more than Beard. Terry had a lot to do with the two 5 star guys we have coming in. In fact he’s had a lot to do with a lot of the great players that have played here the last 20 years.

There are plenty of examples of assistants taking the full time gig and doing really well. Frank Martin took over at K state for Bob Huggins and did very well.

Do you guys honestly believe if Jerome Tang had taken over for Scott Drew at Baylor he wouldn’t have done well? If Tommy Lloyd instead of going to Arizona had taken over for mark few at Gonzaga he would have done well? Of course they would have.

Mark Adams isn’t succeeding at Tech not becauee he isn’t a good coach it’s because he’s an asshole.

College coaching is about fit. Shaka smart isn’t a bad coach it just never fit at Texas. He goes to a place that does suit him a little better and he’s having success again. Rodney Terry fits at Texas and unless you can land a legit bad ass earth shattering coach(jay wright, Billy Donovan) I think you give Terry a short term deal and see how it goes. You sign him to a 3 year deal you aren’t married to him.
Frank Martin just got fired at South Carolina and in his time at K State only made it past the 2nd round of the tournament 1 of his 5 seasons. I don't really think that is proving your point like you think it is lol. Also, there wasn't a 10 season sample size from either Lloyd or Tang like there is with Terry. Not only that but it hasn't been quite a full season for Tang so the jury is still out on him. Who's to say they don't fall flat on their face next season.

Shaka Smart lost to Abilene Christian. Frank Martin got fired at South Carolina. No, I don't think Tang would've won a national title at Baylor. So Terry made recruiting pitches - on behalf of Beard.

All that to say - shove all that dough to Billy Donovan. A proven big time winner at the collegiate level. The game has changed a little - transfer portal, NIL, etc. - but I would rather start with his baseline than a .500 coach.
Yea Shaka Smart lost to Abilene Christian. People put way too much stock in to what happens in the NCAA tournament. It took Bill self 3 years to win a tournament game st Kansas. He lost to Bucknell and Bradley. The NCAA tournament is a series of random events. Judging coaches good and bad based off of what happens is a dangerous game.

Frank Martin just got fired at South Carolina and in his time at K State only made it past the 2nd round of the tournament 1 of his 5 seasons. I don't really think that is proving your point like you think it is lol. Also, there wasn't a 10 season sample size from either Lloyd or Tang like there is with Terry. Not only that but it hasn't been quite a full season for Tang so the jury is still out on him. Who's to say they don't fall flat on their face next season.
Frank Martin got to the final 4 at South Carolina. Yeah he got fired. So what? Most coaches get fired.

Yea Shaka Smart lost to Abilene Christian. People put way too much stock in to what happens in the NCAA tournament. It took Bill self 3 years to win a tournament game st Kansas. He lost to Bucknell and Bradley. The NCAA tournament is a series of random events. Judging coaches good and bad based off of what happens is a dangerous game.
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. We can disregard the 10 year history of a head coach who has a .500 winning percentage - regular season doesn't matter. Now we can disregard the post season results of a coach that not only lost to Abilene Christian, but in fact never (NEVER) one even ONE NCAA tournament game at Texas. So what exactly is your hiring criteria for a head coach?

Haskins won at UTEP for decades (including a national title when Wooden was coaching) and Tark did ok at Fresno. But those were at schools where alot of coaches could not have won, including Rodney Terry. FIFY. Mic drop.
That was 57 years ago times have changed. UTEP does not have commitment you must have if you want to run with the big dogs. Schools that are winning big have lots of financial sources.

That was 57 years ago times have changed. UTEP does not have commitment you must have if you want to run with the big dogs. Schools that are winning big have lots of financial sources.
Nobody said anything about running with the big dogs. I just want a coach that can win against his level of competition. The fact is that he was mediocre against mediocre competition. His conference finishes at Fresno, in the Mountain West - 7th, 5th, 6th, 5th, 2nd, 4th and 4th. At UTEP, in Conference USA, where he had to regularly run the gauntlet of Rice, North Texas, Middle Tennessee and Florida International - 14th, 11th and 5th. I can't believe there are 2 of you that want him.

Agree. While not completely sold on Terry, he’s certainly earned the shot if he gets it. Donovan and Wright are the only coaches I’d take over him. Not Calipari. I can’t stand that guy. He’s a scumbag, and, fittingly, his name starts with “Cali”. Gross. No thanks, I’ll take Terry any day over him.

Speaking of Shaka, this really pisses me off that he’s now confirming that he was indeed the great coach we thought he was. Wtf is it with Texas ruining decent coaches? Sick of this shit.
When some of these coaches come to Texas, they see all the money and splurge on things or experiment in ways that they haven’t done before. “Keep with the boy that brought you to the dance”. Shaka made more time for SJWing than coaching (it seems). He made it about black people instead of simply winning basketball games for the Texas Longhorns and the Texas Longorns only. Obviously, now that he doesn’t have the Texas stage and money, it is back to coaching and it seems to be paying off so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metcalf #2
Darrin Horn remember him? He has his team Northern Kentucky winning their conference tournament and punching their ticket for March.
I just saw that. He did a really nice job here working with the big guys.

I don’t expect this to happen, but if we had to go the mid major route to find a new HC Paul Mills at Oral Roberts would be the perfect fit.

I just saw that. He did a really nice job here working with the big guys.

I don’t expect this to happen, but if we had to go the mid major route to find a new HC Paul Mills at Oral Roberts would be the perfect fit.
I agree with your post some while ago about Paul Jans (I think it was you). His only negative that I am aware of, is he doesn’t have a long enough resume at a P5. However , his HC record speaks for itself. His NMSU teams were always good. I had seen a few of those teams when they would come to El Paso and play UTEP.

I agree with your post some while ago about Paul Jans (I think it was you). His only negative that I am aware of, is he doesn’t have a long enough resume at a P5. However , his HC record speaks for itself. His NMSU teams were always good. I had seen a few of those teams when they would come to El Paso and play UTEP.
Yeah that was me. Jans would be high on mh list. Really good job at NMSU coached Timmy Allen’s brother and Jarbari rice. I think sometimes people over think coaching searches. There are tons of coaches that didn’t have power 5 expierence before getting a power 5 job. Dennis gates at Missouri is another one I like. Missouri basketball hasn’t won 20 games in 9 years and has been a dumpster fire for much of that time. He wins 20 games his first year.

Scott Drew took arguably the worst situation ever at Baylor with no power 5 experience
Jerome Tang at k state had never been a HC before.
Chris Beard hadn’t been a power 5 coach before going to tech. There are many others.

I think we get too caught up in a certain resume. Really to find a good HC your looking for qualities and traits as much as resume.

Whoever it will be you can bet on Texas doing a deep dig into their personal lives to make sure there are no skeletons. That will eliminate about 90% of the field.

Reactions: horn wild
We owe a lot on that new arena. Our ability to pay depends on the number of butts in seats. Texas has a small margin for error.

That win locks us in as a 2 seed. Win the tournament and I just dont see how the committee could not give a 1 seed to Texas.

all 4 guards were outstanding defensively; all 4 of them. so was disu. not to say mitchell, bishop, or cunningham were bad. but those 5 were clearly outstanding. carr still isn't back to form but most of his misses were long tonight, so maybe his legs are back. SJR missed 3 wide open layups throughout the game that could have blown the game open. rebounding was better. we looked bad the first 10 minutes, and the last 3ish. other than that, we looked great. we won a game where carr, SJR, and timmy allen weren't rolling on offense.

side note-- terrible, TERRIBLE technical on NCOY. you can't give the opponent points in that situation with the clock stopped, 94 feet from the basket. i think the decision is made, one way or the other, but if he doesn't get the job you can point at that as absolute justification. either lack of control, or lack of situational awareness

ADVERTISEMENT