ADVERTISEMENT

Can we slow down the Washington……

With Catalon out and Derek Williams sitting the first half, Penix is going to be extra aggressive throwing the ball downfield in the first half. Sark and PK need to scheme appropriately.

Interesting to note that UW’s defense is ranked below 7 Big 12 teams including Texas Tech. On the flip side, Oregon's defense was ranked in top 10 and they beat them twice. On paper, the matchup projects as a high scoring game so it’s going to come down to the basics - run the football, don’t turn it over, limit penalties, create turnovers, and make some plays on special teams.

Edit: UPDATE IT is now reporting that Sark is allowing players to enter the portal AND be available to play in the CFP. I didn't know that was allowed under the current ruies. If so, that's great news for our secondary depth. It also gives Catalon a chance to showcase himself for other schools and perhaps create a "bidding war" for his services.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
One thing I’ve noticed when talking to UW and PAC 12 fans is they keep using raw stats like total offense and total defense to compare us vs UW. Texas is 9th in total offense and 23rd in total defense while UW is 13 in total offense and 90th in total defense. That obviously doesn’t tell the full story since UW averages 7.23 ypp on offense while Texas averages 6.65. Texas controls the clock and Washington relies on chunk plays so that’ll be interesting to watch.

Based on advanced stats, Texas’ offense is ranked 10-20 and the defense is 5-10. UW’s offense is 1-5 and their defense is 35-50. UW’s offense ranks close to OU’s (albeit different styles) and their defense ranks somewhere around the level of Kstate, Tech, and BYU. So they are essentially OU with a worse defense.

To be honest, I’ve watched UW a lot this season and while yes their passing offense matches well against our sus secondary, I don’t think they’ll be able to consistently run the ball well enough to control the game. They’ll get a handful of chunk pass plays but our offense’s advantage over their defense hugely outweighs any advantage their offense has over our defense. We are ranked similarly in both offense and defense to Oregon for both passing and rushing but we are more balanced on offense. I don’t think this UW defense can hold us under 35+ and I don’t think their offense can score more than 30 on our defense. Give me 38-28 horns

I believe the answer is no. Our passing defense which absolutely includes our linebackers, especially Hill and Gbenda, has been bad all year. Washington was the worst possible matchup for us.

Someone tell our pet troll that higher IQ schools can have a quality yet civil conversation. The Alaska guy is welcome here. Alaska, if you search the troll threads, you will encounter sub 80 IQ sooner knuckle dragging and general inbred behavior. There's a troll in this thread but he is more of a pet, kind of like a chihuahua that humps your leg. Anyway, steer clear of the lowbrows and welcome.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: freeper and westx
I believe the answer is no. Our passing defense which absolutely includes our linebackers, especially Hill and Gbenda, has been bad all year. Washington was the worst possible matchup for us.
Penix is going to shred our safeties. They can call a defense but have no make up speed when they get beat. Texas will be dropping the secondary which will put pressure on the D line to stop the run without much safety help. Not good bob, not good.

The Texas fans never got mad about Horns down you fking inbred moron. The Whole thing started with TEXAS doing a GUNS DOWN to Texas Tech being flagged. We said if youre flagging us for that you have to flag others for horns down. So blame Tech
This is correct. Herman asked why guns down got called but Horns down didn’t and fans based from other schools ran with Texas is whining about horns down.

Penix is going to shred our safeties. They can call a defense but have no make up speed when they get beat. Texas will be dropping the secondary which will put pressure on the D line to stop the run without much safety help. Not good bob, not good.
How much did he shred them last year?

Reactions: oldhorn2
It will be a tough back and forth game that won't be decided until the 4th qtr. Penix and his WRs (if they are all healthy) have been great at answering the opponent's score (at least in the games I watched). I think Sark is a better coach this year. Sark has even improved intra-year by being more conservative on 4th down by kicking FGs. This paid off, imo, in the last 3 games. I think the key is not turning the ball over. If Quinn doesn't try to force the ball if the play is not there and either throw it away or simply take the sack.

I looked at last year's match up and Texas threw the ball 47 times and only ran it only 18 times (QE had 4 of those carries). That is not a good formula against any team. Box Score:
Passing Yds: Tex 369, Wsh 287
Rushing Yds: Tex 51, Wsh 158
Total Yards: Tex 420, Wsh 445
Penalty Yds: Tex 45, Wsh 45
Turnovers: Tex 0, Wsh 1 (Penix threw an INT)
Time of Poss: Tex 24:14, Wsh 35:46. This stat says a lot

Compared to last year I think Texas's advantages are:
Sark is a better coach
Our OL is much better
Our DL/LB are much better (Overshown didn't play the bowl)
RB crew as a whole much better (Keilan was the feature back in the bowl)
WR are much better: Sanders has matured, Worthy same, AD great addition, JWhitt better due to leadership
Secondary: Texas is above average this year, I'll leave that there.
Bijan and Roschon sat out last year.

IT is reporting that Worthy is out of the boot and will be set to practice within days. That dude is just straight up made out of rubber.

Couldn’t win b12 coach of the year, but up for national coach of the year. Fvck the b12.
And I also remember some on this board wanted him gone!

Reactions: hookem777
passing attack ? I venture to say will be the best we faced all year by far. I think we will need 38 to beat them . Thoughts ?

38 probably a good number.

To slow their passing attack, disrupt their WRs at the line and controlled pass rush. Penix throws VERY well on the move and loves to extend plays with his feet.

Wash looks like one of the Mike Leach TT teams with a decent defense. They can sling it around well

If we play our best we can win by two scores, but we can't get into a shootout w these dudes.

If we both play our A games, it comes down to turnovers.

Their passing O is significantly better than anything Leach did at Tech.

To me it doesn't mean we can't beat them.. But I think it's going to be ugly on defense at times and we will have to play the best wr have on offense all year to keep up
If we win, I think it would look something like 45-42. If we lose, I think it will look something like 35-27

Do you remember how we used to slow down tech’s air raid offense? Continual heavy pressure on the QB and lighting up the WRs until they were skittish and hearing footsteps every time they thought the ball was coming their way. They’d make plenty of catches the first half, but by the second they were afraid to keep getting hit like that. Force them to make mental mistakes. It seems like a decent game plan to me.

I've been on record as saying that Washington was my least desirable matchup of the CFP. Penix has the ability to exploit our biggest weakness on our defense. After watching more video on Washington, I think txleapd is correct. Penix doesn't like to get hit, which with his injury history is understandable. While he is pretty good at moving around the pocket to create time for his receivers, he's not by any means elite in that category. He's nowhere near as elusive as Gabriel, Milroe, or a few others we've seen this year. He'll hit a few big ones because he's that accurate on the move but if we can keep containment and pressure him, we should be able to force enough punts to give QE a chance to get out in front.

I've been on record as saying that Washington was my least desirable matchup of the CFP. Penix has the ability to exploit our biggest weakness on our defense. After watching more video on Washington, I think txleapd is correct. Penix doesn't like to get hit, which with his injury history is understandable. While he is pretty good at moving around the pocket to create time for his receivers, he's not by any means elite in that category. He's nowhere near as elusive as Gabriel, Milroe, or a few others we've seen this year. He'll hit a few big ones because he's that accurate on the move but if we can keep containment and pressure him, we should be able to force enough punts to give QE a chance to get out in front.
We need to be able to run the ball early. Targeting is an issue in hitting qb's and wr's more often which makes me wonder why air raid offenses aren't more popular.

We need to be able to run the ball early. Targeting is an issue in hitting qb's and wr's more often which makes me wonder why air raid offenses aren't more popular.
We definitely need to run our offense which includes running the ball but PK's group has done a really good job of being able to pressure the QB and play physical the last 3 games so I think we can play the same way without much risk of targeting. Williams targeting call was on a kickoff so hopefully that carries on.
I do think this is a game where Sark doesn't need to take his foot off the gas pedal. If the O can score 100, then do it. Washington has the capability to score quick so going into "run the clock" mode and bogging the offense down could give them the opportunity to close a gap quickly.

Man, I’m bored. Who do we play this weekend? Waiting for our CFP game is like waiting thru the doldrums of summer. I guess we’ll just have to start getting used to it. Until then we’ll just make fun of aggie and ou.

Reactions: freeper and echeese
You've been wrong on just about every thing you've predicted this year so there's that..

If we'd listen to you we'd be 7-5 right now.

Man, I’m bored. Who do we play this weekend? Waiting for our CFP game is like waiting thru the doldrums of summer. I guess we’ll just have to start getting used to it. Until then we’ll just make fun of aggie and ou.
Agree. Well, we do have hoops tonight versus Shaka, and the VB is in the 3rd round, so there’s that.

Reactions: freeper and westx
You've been wrong on just about every thing you've predicted this year so there's that..

If we'd listen to you we'd be 7-5 right now.
I started to respond to you but then I looked at a bunch of the things that you said over the last couple months . it's not worth my time talking to somebody like you . Thanks for your input. Don't bother responding I'm going to hide you.

Last edited:
Not that it matters since no one on this team played an Airraid Tech team.
You sure about that?

I probably should have said their offense, not just the passing part.

But yes, end of the day, Tech never won anything. They were fun to watch in a fantasy football kinda way. . . .Leach was funny to interview like your crazy drunk uncle at Thanksgiving.

UDub is an offense that has proven they can go up against a good D and win.

Jeez... Y'all's vaginas are flapping all over this thread...I say it now....y'all are gonna be embarrassed at how easy this game is gonna be. You think Vegas is made of buffoons?

Reactions: hookem777
I probably should have said their offense, not just the passing part.

But yes, end of the day, Tech never won anything. They were fun to watch in a fantasy football kinda way. . . .Leach was funny to interview like your crazy drunk uncle at Thanksgiving.

UDub is an offense that has proven they can go up against a good D and win.
We'll see UW hasn't won anything but a P12 championship and as far as Defense. P12 doesn't really play any. They struggled against a 1-6 AZ team. I've definitely been wrong before though. I think we're peaking at the right time and I believe we're going to see a great game from Texas.

I'm hoping the running backs can step up. I really think that will be critical. JB is just better than the alternatives at this stage. Baxter has flashes but doesn't finish like Brooks. Blue looks explosive. We don't seem to have a between thr tackles guy. Brooks wore teams down and ran over through for those tough 6 to 8 yards repeatedly.
Brooks is my favorite Longhorn but I have very little concern about the RB position. We have to sack the QB. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT