Chris Beard Arrested

No, but we didn't hire Beard. We hired Shaka. Let me be honest. Texas does not do a good job when it comes to hiring coaches for men's sports. If he does not have skins on the wall, he will likely fail here. Rick Barnes failed here and he is a top 10 coach.
Rick Barnes did not fail here. That's ridiculous. He won 70% of his games at Texas. He also made the tournament 16 of 17 seasons. I don't consider the fact he never won a national championship here a failure.

Reactions: ElDiabloTejano
Rick Barnes did not fail here. That's ridiculous. He won 70% of his games at Texas. He also made the tournament 16 of 17 seasons. I don't consider the fact he never won a national championship here a failure.
But the fact still stands that we sent him packing because the 70% was not good enough. Who out there is better than Barnes??? There are some but they aren't coming to Texas. So let me be the devil's advocate here.... I hate that terminology but anyway. If you are CDC and you see the reality of a half full or less MC at a 70% winning percentage, what would you do? Shaka was an abject failure, can we agree on that? CDC remembers that nightmare but now the situation is worse. If we suck again, CDC has a private equity firm breathing down his neck that wants its 7%-10% on top of an apathetic fanbase. CDC does not want to be paying the OVG's ROI. Beard is going to stay. I just told you why. Some psycho floozy isn't going to upset the investment apple cart. She's going to go away and Beard is going to be told to coach his butt off and keep his nose clean.

But the fact still stands that we sent him packing because the 70% was not good enough. Who out there is better than Barnes??? There are some but they aren't coming to Texas. So let me be the devil's advocate here.... I hate that terminology but anyway. If you are CDC and you see the reality of a half full or less MC at a 70% winning percentage, what would you do? Shaka was an abject failure, can we agree on that? CDC remembers that nightmare but now the situation is worse. If we suck again, CDC has a private equity firm breathing down his neck that wants its 7%-10% on top of an apathetic fanbase. CDC does not want to be paying the OVG's ROI. Beard is going to stay. I just told you why. Some psycho floozy isn't going to upset the investment apple cart. She's going to go away and Beard is going to be told to coach his butt off and keep his nose clean.

We fired Augie too

List of coaches who have never won a national championship.

Eddie Sutton
Bob Huggins
Jim Boehiem
Brad Stevens
Kelvin Sampson
Rick Barnes
All failures according to 2300

Roy Williams didn’t win one till his 17th season as a head coach. If winning a national championship prior is your standard for the next basketball coach you are going to disappointed 2300

Eddie Sutton
Bob Huggins
Jim Boehiem
Brad Stevens
Kelvin Sampson
Rick Barnes

Roy Williams didn’t win one till his 17th season as a head coach. If winning a national championship prior is your standard for the next basketball coach you are going to disappointed 2300
Boeheim won it in 2003 with Carmelo. UT lost to them in the FF w/ TJ Ford.

Boeheim won it in 2003 with Carmelo. UT lost to them in the FF w/ TJ Ford.
You’re right my bad. I knew they beat Texas forgot they beat Kansas too. Still one title in 40 years 2300 probably thinks that’s a failure. (You could make a legit argument he’s overrated but you get the point

Eddie Sutton
Bob Huggins
Jim Boehiem
Brad Stevens
Kelvin Sampson
Rick Barnes

That worthless coach John Wooden didn't win a NC until his 15th season at UCLA

Jay Wright would be a home run hire in my opinion. Not sure we could get him but he’s my first call.

I never said he should but we don't know what happened.
Point taken. CB has a high powered lawyer Perry Minton to represent him. My brother said if you can afford him he's as good as it gets for cases like this.

If there's anything gray in this case CB may walk.

Jay Wright would be a home run hire in my opinion. Not sure we could get him but he’s my first call.
I think he would think about it. Rumor was he retired in part due to NIL and the changes in college basketball. Could Texas entice him with their resources? Maybe.

This is a compelling take and it might have some truth to it but it will all depend on the whole truth and how they can advertise it. Based on the affidavit that leaves only a razor thin margin. To your point it will certainly motivate UT to get it right and probably the reason we’re already over a week since the first statements. I’m waiting for the press conference then will decide. The whole idea of “don’t harm a women” is BS if your trying to guard your loins and calm her down. But if he had a moment of weakness and slapped her around because he lost his cool over some broken glasses then I don’t see anyway UT can spin that.

Yeah I think there is a path to Beard returning. It’s a narrow path but it’s there. He has to present something compelling that Texas can reasonably spin to bring him back, and it’s up to him to do it.

The longer this goes on the more likely beard returns, I think.
Yeah I don’t know. I don’t think he returns this year either way., so there isn’t a hurry. My guess is they are taking their time to get her facts, and also getting legal advice, because obviously if they do fire him they aren’t going to want to pay him. We’ll see

No idea, I made that up because I don't know the real name. When someone gets behind you and wraps their forearm across your throat and squeezes. Regular choke hold I guess.
Ah gotcha. A rear naked choke (naked meaning no clothing involved in the strangle, simply body parts).

• Haha
Reactions: LongfellowDrew
This is a compelling take and it might have some truth to it but it will all depend on the whole truth and how they can advertise it. Based on the affidavit that leaves only a razor thin margin. To your point it will certainly motivate UT to get it right and probably the reason we’re already over a week since the first statements. I’m waiting for the press conference then will decide. The whole idea of “don’t harm a women” is BS if your trying to guard your loins and calm her down. But if he had a moment of weakness and slapped her around because he lost his cool over some broken glasses then I don’t see anyway UT can spin that.
Agreed. If he was using her as a punching bag because she wouldn't put out, that's a problem. I've seen some vicious women that I would not give a pass. If she was violently attacking him (felony assault), and she isn't small, then by all means he can defend himself to keep her off him. Personally, I don't care for how Beard handles his personal life but my standards probably don't line up with most people. He needs to clean up his act.

Agreed. If he was using her as a punching bag because she wouldn't put out, that's a problem. I've seen some vicious women that I would not give a pass. If she was violently attacking him (felony assault), and she isn't small, then by all means he can defend himself to keep her off him. Personally, I don't care for how Beard handles his personal life but my standards probably don't line up with most people. He needs to clean up his act.
Honest question has he had issues in the past?

Honest question has he had issues in the past?
The cops have never been called on him(that we know of). Doesn’t mean there haven’t been issues. That maybe what Texas is trying to get ro the bottom of. Because the last thing they want to do is agree to have him back and then something else pop up

The cops have never been called on him(that we know of). Doesn’t mean there haven’t been issues. That maybe what Texas is trying to get ro the bottom of. Because the last thing they want to do is agree to have him back and then something else pop up
Man if UT didn't do a thorough back ground check before hiring and signing him to a contract I'd be very surprised.

Man if UT didn't do a thorough back ground check before hiring and signing him to a contract I'd be very surprised.
How far can they dig really? He’s already known to be an intense motivator and leader of young men. Without any prior evidence how deep is UT responsible to dig? I mean at that point of the game it’s “hey that’s my private life.” I doubt there were any red flags at that time. Even TT thought they were losing Jesus when he departed.

Then why did he bite her?

How far can they dig really? He’s already known to be an intense motivator and leader of young men. Without any prior evidence how deep is UT responsible to dig? I mean at that point of the game it’s “hey that’s my private life.” I doubt there were any red flags at that time. Even TT thought they were losing Jesus when he departed.
Only what's typical background. I'm sure UT has people that can check other avenues but my point is if he was clean coming in until this issue he more than likely doesn't have anything hidden.

Statement just released by Beards fiancé says she was the aggressor and she won’t refute that he was acting in self defense. Whether true or not, most people won’t buy it.

Reactions: westx
Statement just released by Beards fiancé says she was the aggressor and she won’t refute that he was acting in self defense. Whether true or not, most people won’t buy it.
And they’re…staying together?

And they’re…staying together?
Sounds like it, this probably will put the issue to bed, but I think if I were the Texas brass I’d make it clear to Beard this can’t happen again.

People are going to assume(right or wrong) that beard and his team made it worth her while to put out that statement.

That’s the sad thing about it all is that even if she is telling the truth nobody is going to believe her. I’ve got a feeling now that Beard isn’t going to get fired.

I’m sure she’s realizing that her gravy train is about to go off the rails if she were to maintain her original statement. She wants CB to keep his contract so she can keep living the high life. Unfortunately, it’s not up to her to decide whether the DA brings charges or if CDC decides to fire CB. Admittedly, the DA would have a difficult time prosecuting a case with an uncooperative victim/witness. But UT can probably fire him for cause and either battle out the contract dispute in court or they reach an agreement to buy him out.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Chris beard will be retained as coach I believe, his fiancé just gave him the out that he needed. I believe UT will continue to weather the PR storm and “investigate” and will ultimately retain beard. IMO if retained, Chris beard should still be suspended for the remainder of the season

I’m sure she’s realizing that her gravy train is about to go off the rails if she were to maintain her original statement. She wants CB to keep his contract so she can keep living the high life. Unfortunately, it’s not up to her to decide whether the DA brings charges or if CDC decides to fire CB. Admittedly, the DA would have a difficult time prosecuting a case with an uncooperative victim/witness. But UT can probably fire him for cause and either battle out the contract dispute in court or they reach an agreement to buy him out.
Or she lied in the heat of the moment.

He'll be on the bench against OU. All the me too cry babies that are still shaka butt hurt can suck it.

Well, she did have bite marks and scratches on her arms when the police came out.
Who says those weren't self inflicted? Look I'm no woman hater. I was raised by a woman by herself much of my early life and helped raise a woman. I live my life around a shit load of women. I support women but I don't automatically believe what comes out of their mouth just because of their sex. Women lie as well.

Reactions: freeper